• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Has Proven Very Unpopular on PC

Wildebeest

Putting the word adventure in your name is like condemning your game to an early death on steam. There are many, many adventure games on PC and a lot of them have great user reviews, but they all have something in common. None of them sell.

midnightAI

It was already sent out to die on Playstation (60$ / 70€ it still at that price). The price is outrageous (notably in Europe) particularly compared to gems like Stray (30$) or Kena (40$) which both sold incredibly well. Personnaly I would have bought Sackboy at launch at half-price and I instead bought Stray and Kena at launch because those were a no brainer.

I blame Jim Ryan. Those kind of AA games need people talking about them to encourage others to buy them. But who was going to buy the game at that absurd price? It's not Mario or Zelda IP. So stupid.
While I agree its maybe overpriced, I enjoyed the hell out of it, it's an awesome family game (it's the reason I bought multiple controllers for my PS5 at launch also).

Midn1ght

59.99€ a week after 49.99€ Uncharted didn't help.

While I appreciate Sony bringing the whole slate on PC, they seems to not know what the hell they're doing when it come to pricing and marketing on PC. Best example is Spider-Man Remastered at 59.99€ and Miles Morales at 49.99€. WHY?

On console as well, they're so weird with prices and communication this gen.

Just asked my daughter about it and she said none of her friends know what it is. That means that she isn't playing it either.
I just hope her friends never jump off that proverbial bridge because I know what my daughter will do.

Just bought this for £25 and a second controller so the wife and I can play through it. Looks like a load of fun tbh, I’ve always enjoyed coop platformers and I’m sure this will be exceptional.

Shame about the PC release, straight after Uncharted 4 seems like a bit of a whoopsie. Modern Warfare 2 just dropped too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't even know it was out. The marketing team may have failed here.
I think it's planned that way. They dont want to promote PC ports too much because too much exposure might piss off PS gamers. Just do enough to get some sales (like one tweet or slide saying it's coming to PC) and that's it. On the other hand, the PS version gets tons of coverage in trailers, blogs, and state of play videos.

Whitecrow

Banned
Little Big Planet has always sucked; it's just that the arts & crafts video game press finally found a game they could pay, so they kept blowing smoke up its ass for well over a decade.
Not really.

People standards is what is fucked up.

sainraja

The game is great and didn't it just come out?
It has co-op elements but it is not an online game so.....hopefully it does good overall. I want Sony to green light the next one!

I think it's obvious no one expected this to sell well, but it does beg the obvious question as to why they would throw resources at this instead of Demon's Souls, which probably means they're waiting for Demon's Souls to come out next year.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
xXucEeM.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
This game proved to be unpopular everywhere. It would have much better if this game had been a new IP. Honestly, I never gave it a chance because the moment I saw it was a 3D platformer Little Big Planet spin off, my interest simply vaniahed.

Haggard

Banned
A platformer with a 60 dollar pricetag from an IP no one has given 2 cents about since the ps3 era is not selling well.... Who'd have thought.

Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, GT....they have so many IPs which are a perfect fit for the PC crowd... And they chose to port Sackboy first.......

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's obvious no one expected this to sell well, but it does beg the obvious question as to why they would throw resources at this instead of Demon's Souls, which probably means they're waiting for Demon's Souls to come out next year.
Because games like Demon's Souls and R&C are more like PS5 showcases. The rest of the games released might be bigger blockbuster games but they are older. Going by the games list it looks like they are prioritizing big selling SP narratives first, but when you got Sackboy in the mix it shows its not the case.

Other games that seem t fit well with PC are GT and Dreams. PC crowd is big into racing and community creations so it seems like a perfect fit. GT can even eat away at some Forza Horizon sales. But those two games are also games that they seem to want to hold as unique PS platform games.

ElCasual

Its a beatiful and fun game. The sales in pc aré the same that in PS5. Dont blame Jim Ryan if Playstation make the same IP games over and over.

Holammer

Even if it sells poorly, it's one of many necessary sacrifices for Sony's real objective, building a full spectrum PC market presence for all the f2p GaaS titles they have in the works. As Sony intends to make the next Fortnite or Genshin level hit by themselves.
Also, for all we know the game is already written off as a disappointing failure on consoles, but I reckon a better price in the 40$ range with some actual marketing hype machine might have improved things.

I'm enjoying the game and I'd love to see a couple of Half-life & TF2 costumes, Steam Workshop & Remote Play Together support.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Those numbers are absolutely minging and there’s no two ways about it.

Personally I’ve not played it yet, but my impression from LBP 1, 2 & 3 is that they are okay games but a little soulless. There’s much better in the genre, and I imagine that’s the same with Sackboy (I’d be shocked if it’s better than something like A Hat in Time).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nobody really cares about sackboy, so no surprise there. (Even though the game is probably pretty good)

As far as drake goes, it is fairly old now. Plus like others have said, the price.....
Maybe this will convince sony to release newer ones.....

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
610 might seem like a low number at first sight, but if you write down every number from 1 to 610, you'll realize it's actually a pretty big number. And 10k is astronomical.
MW2 simultaneous count was 260k or so, so 10k is a pretty solid number. 610 is a lot more than 300, like more than double.

Because games like Demon's Souls and R&C are more like PS5 showcases. The rest of the games released might be bigger blockbuster games but they are older. Going by the games list it looks like they are prioritizing big selling SP narratives first, but when you got Sackboy in the mix it shows its not the case.

Other games that seem t fit well with PC are GT and Dreams. PC crowd is big into racing and community creations so it seems like a perfect fit. GT can even eat away at some Forza Horizon sales. But those two games are also games that they seem to want to hold as unique PS platform games.

We already know that Returnal is probably next up. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Sony knows Demon's Souls will sell well on PC.

I think we see Demon's Souls, GT7, and Dreams all release on PC next year, with Bloodborne potentially following suit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game is $60 US on Steam.

At least they are giving Canadians a deal. lol. With the exchange rate it should be $80(!), but Steam here shows $70 CDN. Looks like no confidence here to sell for the straight exchange rate like every other game out there.

bender

What time is it?
I think we'll see Sony acquire Kadokawa/FromSoftware after this Activision deal closes.

On a serious note, I think Sony will eventually remake Bloodborne which will lead to an inevitable PC release but I don't think the PS4 version will be ported and I have this gimmick to keep up.

On a serious note, I think Sony will eventually remake Bloodborne which will lead to an inevitable PC release but I don't think the PS4 version will be ported and I have this gimmick to keep up.

What's the gimmick? I'm not sure if it is remade. While it only has a couple years difference from TLOU1, it was a pretty clear PS4 game.

An UC4/LL style port? Sure.

bender

What time is it?
What's the gimmick? I'm not sure if it is remade. While it only has a couple years difference from TLOU1, it was a pretty clear PS4 game.

An UC4/LL style port? Sure.

Posting the never gif anytime someone mentions Bloodborne coming to PC is my gimmick.

Bloodborne remake I think will be for the PS6 launch a la Demon Souls.

Last edited:

Hustler

It's a great game, but there was little to no marketing for it on PC and it's more of a family game with kids... not exactly a PC centric kind of game?

Top Bottom