• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Has Proven Very Unpopular on PC

Posting the never gif anytime someone mentions Bloodborne coming to PC is my gimmick.

Bloodborne remake I think will be for the PS6 launch a la Demon Souls.

I think it comes down to a lot of things

#1 What is Bluepoint working on
#2 Does Sony actually buy From

You could argue that Bloodborne came out at the wrong time.

Dark Souls 3 was much more popular than Dark Souls 2. You could maybe argue Bloodborne would have been more successful if it had released on Xbox and PC as well, but the timing of Bloodborne and the exclusivity put it well behind Dark Souls and Sekiro in terms of sales, let alone Elden Ring.

Now is obviously the best time for Sony to really push Bloodborne and Demon's Souls though.

bender

What time is it?
I think it comes down to a lot of things

#1 What is Bluepoint working on
#2 Does Sony actually buy From

You could argue that Bloodborne came out at the wrong time.

Dark Souls 3 was much more popular than Dark Souls 2. You could maybe argue Bloodborne would have been more successful if it had released on Xbox and PC as well, but the timing of Bloodborne and the exclusivity put it well behind Dark Souls and Sekiro in terms of sales, let alone Elden Ring.

Now is obviously the best time for Sony to really push Bloodborne and Demon's Souls though.

The timing was fine for Bloodborne. And duh to it being more popular if released on more platforms. I don't think now is the best time for Bloodborne. Elden Ring just released and Sony should have DeSo in the pipeline. Sony/Team Ninja also have Rise of Ronin in the works as well as Team Ninja's multi-platform Wo Long around the corner. Let the Bloodborne IP breath, have Bluepoint give it the DeSo treatment once Sony's next hardware launches to help push the system and then release it for the PC down the road.

The timing was fine for Bloodborne. And duh to it being more popular if released on more platforms. I don't think now is the best time for Bloodborne. Elden Ring just released and Sony should have DeSo in the pipeline. Sony/Team Ninja also have Rise of Ronin in the works as well as Team Ninja's multi-platform Wo Long around the corner. Let the Bloodborne IP breath, have Bluepoint give it the DeSo treatment once Sony's next hardware launches to help push the system and then release it for the PC down the road.
Dark Souls 2 sold really well because it released on PS3/360/PC

Whereas Bloodborne had a relatively small user base on PS4 at the time, similar to Demon's Souls.

Elden Ring didn't JUST release, by the time any port/remaster of Bloodborne releases Elden Ring will have been out for at least a year...

Not sure how Rise of Ronin or Wo Long have much of an impact here either.

Sony will want to give Bloodborne the multimedia treatment, they won't want to sit on it for another 4-5 years

Scotty W

Gold Member
It is deeply strange that Mario remains the most famous and popular platform character. Everything about him was ad hoc- overalls, moustache, plumber, the name. And he looks like my father! He would NEVER make it through a focus group.

bender

What time is it?
Sackboy
Dark Souls 2 sold really well because it released on PS3/360/PC

Whereas Bloodborne had a relatively small user base on PS4 at the time, similar to Demon's Souls.

Elden Ring didn't JUST release, by the time any port/remaster of Bloodborne releases Elden Ring will have been out for at least a year...

Not sure how Rise of Ronin or Wo Long have much of an impact here either.

Sony will want to give Bloodborne the multimedia treatment, they won't want to sit on it for another 4-5 years

Duh again to Dark Souls 2 sales. I'm not sure what you are arguing against here.

Sony published and funded Bloodborne and used it to bolster PS4 sales (~22 million at the time).

Your definition of JUST is way different than mine.

Rise of Ronin and Wo Long are Souls-like. One exclusive, one multi-platform. The market doesn't need yearly releases of these types of games and you have to figure FROM is also working on their next Souls project.

I'd bet we are a long way from seeing Bloodborne.

Well, it's a super bland and mediocre game. Easily the worst of Sony's first party titles. I didn't even have fun playing it in couch co-op which I usually love 🤷‍♂️

So I'm not surprised.

geary

I wonder why, because on the launch of this game on PS, everyone treated and speak of it like a full AAA and was praised so much and throw in the face of Xbox fans as a great next gen game.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Sackboy ?
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

ancelotti

Looking forward to playing this couch coop with the wife. Pretty terrible pricing strategy though, if it wasn't for coop there's zero chance I would have picked this up anywhere near full price.

PhaseJump

Banned
Price is high, and the blackface wearing drama queen, and his twitching goblin lady sidekick that rule over the people's republic of canada has me more concerned about food bank locations than PC ports.

Ozriel

M$FT
PC gamers don’t buy a formerly console exclusive game. I don’t see the issue

Spiderman, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn sold well on PC.

It’s the price. Putting this up for $60 was never going to work.
A Hat in Time is probably the best selling platformer on Steam in a long while. Launched at $30.

BabyYoda

Banned
Like I've said previously, these kinds of games are very welcome on PC, but they are asking for way too much money. I'll get it when it's £25 or less. I know Sony are used to overcharging on PlayStation consoles and getting away with it, but that won't happen on PC, unless the game merits it, as some of their games definitely do.

If its a huge budget game (so that rules out Returnal for example), with decent length, then by all means charge full price. I had no qualms paying full price for Elden Ring for example.

Drizzlehell

Banned
  1. LBP was never "iconic". It's a largely forgotten series that saw some success early in the PS3's life cycle and Sony has been desperately trying to make it into their console mascot ever since.
  2. They decided to do a PC release for this one game in the mainline series that's NOT called Little Big Planet (which is a more recognizable name for this series) and instead, it has a name that brings up weird mental images of a scrotum.
  3. They just dumped it unceremoniously onto Steam during one of the busier release periods of the year, where people are also more interested in playing some spooky games instead of a cutesy platformer for kids.
  4. Dear lord, what is up with that price...
It's clear that Sony wanted to spend precisely zero money on marketing their games on PC but this is probably the one that really needed it. Especially after even a popular franchise such as Uncharted didn't generate much interest recently. I just hope this trend isn't going to continue because of Sony's idiotic choices on how to release their games on this market, and those low sales won't result in them pulling a plug on future ports.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly do people just hate this game for no reason or something?

It's essentially just a Sony version of Super Mario 3D world (I remember people calling that the worst Mario at the time but I enjoyed it) but at least it has online play without jumping through hoops and graphically looks phenomenal especially with ray tracing.

I guess people only want the "adult" games brought over and everything else is just wasted effort... I'm just happy to be able to play (even if it required an epic account to work on steam) at above 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Hugare

I just realised: this game is full price, two full years after it launched. Sony trying to fleece PC the same way it fleeces PS5 isn't gonna fly.
Not only that, but no Sony game has Denuvo protection or anything. They are cracked as soon as they are released.

And it makes sense to buy God of War, Horizon, Death Stranding or Spider-man in order to have them in your steam library. They are juggernauts.

But Sackboy reeks of "$20 game that I'll get to play with my gf", so people will just pirate it

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
The original Little Big Planet was amazing and I still have it on PS3 but the games after that didn't capture my interest.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not only that, but no Sony game has Denuvo protection or anything. They are cracked as soon as they are released.

And it makes sense to buy God of War, Horizon, Death Stranding or Spider-man in order to have them in your steam library. They are juggernauts.

But Sackboy reeks of "$20 game that I'll get to play with my gf", so people will just pirate it
People who pirate modern games don't have girlfriends.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not that i personally don't care about how well a game sell, hasn't most of the Sony games on pc somewhat flopped in regards of sales?

Why the fuck does it matter? Most have either already played it or will do so in the future. I don't get the point of these numbers to scare studios into submission. I hope we also get Puppeteer and Tearaway including LBP Remasters just to piss people off.
Good games sell well despite being old.

Game is more or less a remaster given the extra features compared to on console.

sainraja

Honestly do people just hate this game for no reason or something?

It's essentially just a Sony version of Super Mario 3D world (I remember people calling that the worst Mario at the time but I enjoyed it) but at least it has online play without jumping through hoops and graphically looks phenomenal especially with ray tracing.

I guess people only want the "adult" games brought over and everything else is just wasted effort... I'm just happy to be able to play (even if it required an epic account to work on steam) at above 60 FPS.
^^ This.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I found LBP3's platforming campaign to be mind-numbingly boring so I never even looked at this game. Probably cheap as hell now if I find the disc version, right?

Anyhow, it's clearly the kind of thing where Sony felt they need at least one family adventure game, so they pushed Sackboy into that slot--but I wouldn't expect families to take much note. Those of us with kids who actually play these genres almost always have a Switch around, and that's where these games shine.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's a crappy game that's sold on PS5 only thanks to being added to console bundles. Plus Sony charging full price for it is hilarious and LittleBigPlanet games (and therefore Sackboy) are unknown to PC players.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sackboy is kinda average but fun I don’t think it’s fair to expect terrible computers to play a PS5 next generation game.

rofif

Banned
pc gamers are not used to pay full price for quality games.
At least its 60 and not 70... I still think it's a bit much for a platformer, even as delightful as this one

Neilg

Sackboy / lbp is a platformer with the WORST platforming controls of any non-amateur made platformer by some distance.
Such a visually interesting and creative game, which ends up being just dogshit to play.

Caffeine

would have bought ratchet and clank over this i just think they are trying to gauge audience type. uncharted is a weird one too lets put out the 4th game and the side game instead of the first basically experience the end of the story first

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The one game nobody was asking for. I wonder what Nixxes next project is. I started ghost of sushi on ps5 but id rather play it on PC.

fart town usa

Gold Member
People moved on years ago. Astrobot is the new Sony platformer King.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks fun and I'd probably enjoy it but no one gives a crap about LBP or Sackboy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For reference there were 300 people playing Dawn of War II:Retribution today when I was on, and it looks like it's peak user count is roughly 600 consistently.

Top Bottom