• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Review Thread

GHG

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Although I have to say I expect nothing less from an outlet called the "beta" network.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So what happened to Volition? Has most of the team left?

The people that made this reboot are not the people that made Saints Row 3 or Red Faction Armageddon.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Awards are much better in that regard.

The problem with inflated scores is an old one and has nothing to do with games being woke or not, if anything scores are a little less inflated now. Your whole point about games getting good scores for being woke makes no sense, specially in a thread about Saints Row bombing.

Lets use Halo Infinite as an example, it got really high scores but it ain't going to win any awards (outside of the nonsensical Neogaf GoTY I guess). Cyberpunk got really good initial scores and hardly any awards as well. The time it takes for awards to be handed allows for some additional perspective.
Not.. it makes perfectly sense ... its a terrible and mediocre game and all can see it.. the 6's and above only show the bias... was the game average it would be getting the 9s and 10s and maybe even awards...

You can feel free to disagree thats fair but it is my perception of media journalists in general and not only games...

Wow, I’m really surprised because Saints Row usually delivers on dumb fun, even if the story is trash.

Not touching this even at bargain bin price.

Fake

I would like to talk with the Saint Row official twitter account after those embarrassing tweets since the reboot got announce.

Ngl i thought mid 70's was the floor for this game. Sheesh
I know. I don't subscribe to the metascore for my enjoyment but when it's this low there's definitely some problems. How tolerable you are to them, guess you can only see for yourself.
So what happened to Volition? Has most of the team left?

The people that made this reboot are not the people that made Saints Row 3 or Red Faction Armageddon.
They were gutted with a huge chunk of the team laid off back in 2017 when Agents of Mayhem bombed. Lot of them were probably there for decades, and as in any industry hiring new people these days, likely replaced by danger hairs. These problems the reviews are mentioning definitely seem indicative of inexperience and a desire to be "current". Shame.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The cyberpunk of 2022,
Nah, from a technical standpoint you might be right, however from a story and world standpoint they are not even close. Cyberpunk has a good story and most of the world is fleshed out pretty well. This piece of junk looks technically terrible, with a trash environment, trash characters, and a trash story. Gameplay doesn't look horrible. Actually after watching some of these reviews the game this reminds me most of is Crackdown 3. That game had fun gameplay while every other aspect felt outdated and poorly done.

Pilgrimzero

Uhm. That is debatable bud...
2 was the last time it even tried to remain somewhat realistic before it well all balls to the wall and cranked the humor etc past 11.

I prefer the game(s) to be more grounded as opposed to wacky. Not to say 2 isn’t wacky it’s just not at the level of later games.

3 is fine it just starts getting ludicrous. Past 3 is just bonkers.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Nah, from a technical standpoint you might be right, however from a story and world standpoint they are not even close. Cyberpunk has a good story and most of the world is fleshed out pretty well. This piece of junk looks technically terrible, with a trash environment, trash characters, and a trash story. Gameplay doesn't look horrible. Actually after watching some of these reviews the game this reminds me most of is Crackdown 3. That game had fun gameplay while every other aspect felt outdated and poorly done.
I’m playing cyberpunk on PS5 now and it’s great. It’s bloated as feck though but it’s borderline AAAA with the quality of some of it. I really hope CDPR learn from this and knock it out of the park with Witcher 4.

I was being pedantic with the analogy of cyberpunk but at launch on base consoles it was really bad at the time.

This just looks like low effort garbage I agree.

Last edited:

intbal

Looks like it would play fine on a mid-range smartphone.
Or a Switch, which is about the same thing in hardware specs.
Yes. It works rather well on the base XBO. Visuals are similar to the 1080p/Max mode from the other consoles. And the performance seems decent, too.

the go-to seems to be "will play on Game Pass". But as someone that has had Game Pass since day 1....there has never been a saints row game on there.

bender

What time is it?
Clearly you like
shitty mechanics
Bad ambience of the map
Terrible multiplayer
Shitty mods
osGz8Xw.gif

gDDzHxT.jpg
z4gCzCe.jpg
eecRiQh.jpg
pyowO1y.jpg
np1yPAF.jpg
jv6dqW7.jpg
Y06FzmP.jpg

I like fun. I had more fun with SR2 than SR3. SR3 has a great opening and is just a slog afterwards. I had those thoughts when I played it at launch and the same thoughts when I replayed it on PS5. I'll never return to SR2 because I'm sure it would break my nostalgia glasses really fast.

GymWolf

Yeah, cyberpunk is eons better than this shit.

Ribi

Talk shit to your fans, get shit reviews.

Seems like now not only will your old fans you told to fuck off won't play the games but now the audience you wanted to play the game won't either.

This may be hard for some here to believe, because it was many many years ago...

But there was a time a Saints Row game would score in the 80's on review aggregates. Crazy to believe today, but it's true.

A 67 was reserved for a crap games like True Crime or The Godfather.

If only THQ didn't do the Udraw.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
the go-to seems to be "will play on Game Pass". But as someone that has had Game Pass since day 1....there has never been a saints row game on there.
Agents of Mayhem is technically a Saints Row game and it's (or was) on gamepass.

Though in its current state I'm not sure even Microsoft wants the game on their service.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I push a back a lot on this site on people calling stuff 'woke' when it really isn't.

But holy shit... this is woke trash. Grade A, 100% pure, refined, dyed purple, woke shit of the highest order.

Have now watched a few videos, and am aghast that any of these fucking cretins who wrote this garbage were allowed jobs.

Top Bottom