• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Review Thread

clarky

Gold Member
The amount of people who are seemingly okay with wasting time on a universally accepted bad game, just because it's included on their subscription service, is baffling.
I'll try anything for "free" for ten minutes to make my own mind up but where have you got this from? Anything on PS+ or GP that's shit has never "blown up" so to speak, as far as i'm aware.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I watched the Gamespot review, and that clown talked about how he would like to hang out with the characters and that they were relatable.

But even he gave it a 6. No saving this game.
First Half GIF

im gonna play Saints Row 2 instead. I played it some back in the day. But never liked it as much as the original. And it probably didn't help that i played it on PS3 and it was choppy as hell with lots of screen tearing. I've never tried it on Xbox Series X. maybe thats the move.

i adored the original Saints Row. Beat it multiple times. It was such a fun new refreshing IP to start off my 360 gaming era, and the online on that game was chefs kiss

Last edited:
man it must hurt being on the dev team though, years of work and its just getting shat on

i have been waiting for a new game to come out and this looked interesting enough (as a fan of Saints row 1-3) but man, it sounds worst than all the other games

Meh they get paid and will know more than anyone what they have made is a shit game.

Seems like a contraindication for games media to press for these types of changes then dogpile the game that basically tailors itself to their assumed beliefs.

A simple open-world game like this seems right up the alley of most games journalists.

Bragr

Banned
I usually do feel for developers when their game suffers with low scores, but when they release unfinished games for a full price like Battlefield or Cyberpunk or this game, they do deserve some harsh resistance.

It needs to be perfectly clear to all developers that pushing out games in unfinished states is completely unacceptable. It means nothing if it gets fixed later on, 80% of people will play the game in the first week, that is the state that matters, not 6 months down the line.

They push the games out, hoping they can cash in without having to spend 6 months polishing them. It's a terrible practice.

JonSnowball

A product of Embracer's quantity over quality approach.......
Yeah, no. This is all on Volition. Embracer has sub-operating groups that more or less run with a general hands-off approach....and they've released quite a few great games like the Destroy All Humans remake over the last couple of years.

This is what you get when the development studios last title was Agents of Mayhem, a boring soulless piece of shit, and for some reason they want to appeal to people who are overly sensitive. You get a boring, bland, unfunny, shitpile with "Saints Row" slapped on it.

I usually do feel for developers when their game suffers with low scores, but when they release unfinished games for a full price like Battlefield or Cyberpunk or this game, they do deserve some harsh resistance.

It needs to be perfectly clear to all developers that pushing out games in unfinished states is completely unacceptable. It means nothing if it gets fixed later on, 80% of people will play the game in the first week, that is the state that matters, not 6 months down the line.

They push the games out, hoping they can cash in without having to spend 6 months polishing them. It's a terrible practice.

Totally agree but it’s still happening. What gets me is the reviewers still giving high scores, it’s not as if this game has enough quality aspects to even consider the issues not being too much of a hindrance.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

I'm starting to wonder how well a game with crass humor would do.
Yea the twitter cunts will throw a fit, but it appears they don't buy games going either direction anyway.
Devs should just say fuck it to the Twitter/era crowd, games would do just fine methinks.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This is being delivered today so I'll get to try out this train wreck first hand. It's a shame there's really just nothing else out to play :(

I miss the old days.

kiphalfton

im gonna play Saints Row 2 instead. I played it some back in the day. But never liked it as much as the original. And it probably didn't help that i played it on PS3 and it was choppy as hell with lots of screen tearing. I've never tried it on Xbox Series X. maybe thats the move.

i adored the original Saints Row. Beat it multiple times. It was such a fun new refreshing IP to start off my 360 gaming era, and the online on that game was chefs kiss

Watching gameplay videos of this new game, doesn't look like it would be too jarring going back to play the old games. Since you know the graphics and animations in this newest game suck and aren't that much better than PS3 era games.

Stuart360

It kind of feels like the studio is on its last legs finance wise. Average and dated gameplay, full of bugs, bad looking but unoptimized.
I wonder if Agents of Meh-hem flopping effected the studio more than was thought.

kiphalfton

Pretty sure like 80% (made up number) of any given game's sales are in the first 2-3 weeks. Then the devs run off with their earnings never to be heard from again and don't provide any additional support for the game. Say for instance 343 studios.

Or could be a good dev and potentially get more sales by extending good will and providing support through the life of their product. No guarantees that will result in more sales, or cover the associated labor cost.

So is it any real surprise when devs drop support immediately? Couple that with people being stupid and having no discipline when it comes to boycotting companies or "forgetting" past misconduct from companies.

small_law

The obnoxious characters and dialogue aside, I’m shocked that this game looks so much like SR3 and 4, and I mean down to the grenade throwing animation. SR3 just went free to play on stadia (don’t judge me) and I put a couple of hours in, so it’s fresh in my mind. They did not do very much in the way of updating the game engine from the looks of it. Weirdly, SR3’s city has a lot more NPC density.

I'm starting to wonder how well a game with crass humor would do.
Yea the twitter cunts will throw a fit, but it appears they don't buy games going either direction anyway.
Devs should just say fuck it to the Twitter/era crowd, games would do just fine methinks.

I’d like to see a game with the AirPlane /The Naked Gun style humour.

Failing that, Hot Shots would do

What a surprise, the game looked to mediocre from the time they revealed it. I feel like it would get even worse reviews, without the woke stuff...

all the reviews i've seen, and i haven't seen one mention of multiplayer? do saints row games not do Online anymore??

u would think with the popularity of GTA Roleplay servers and the huge gap in-between GTA V & VI.....that Watch Dogs or Saints Row would've been smart enough to swoop in and make a fun online sandbox MMO. but nope.

R6Rider

Gold Member
all the reviews i've seen, and i haven't seen one mention of multiplayer? do saints row games not do Online anymore??

u would think with the popularity of GTA Roleplay servers and the huge gap in-between GTA V & VI.....that Watch Dogs or Saints Row would've been smart enough to swoop in and make a fun online sandbox MMO. but nope.
Only has co-op I think.

As for Watch Dogs, 2 was (and still is) really fun online, especially the hacking invasions. Never played Legion online besides the bot battle, which was just okay.

Everything I'm reading about this game makes it sound like absolute garbage. You can't kill shopkeepers, apparently the game is actually about dismantling capitalism and student loans (?) What? I thought that was a joke but the person is insisting that's real.

The graphics look like something out of PlayStation 3. There's robber missions where you don't do anything but wait in a car. I'm also hearing that even the developers themselves are attacking people who are criticizing the game and/or defending all the apparently "woke" stuff.

If half this shit is true, this game deserves to bomb hard.

Top Bottom