• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Review Thread

old-parts

You can see via tracked credits on mobygames that the same number of people who worked on Red Faction Guerrilla their last great game has declined across all subsequent titles, it's the talent leaving/retiring and not being replaced.

Volition old school devs used to stream on twitch years ago and they said are in the middle on nowhere so they've always struggled to attract talent to the studio.

It's not one thing but the sums of all its mistakes, lack of polish, poor gameplay, unlikable characters etc.

You can see via tracked credits on mobygames that the same number of people who worked on Red Faction Guerrilla their last great game has declined across all subsequent titles, it's the talent leaving/retiring and not being replaced.

Volition old school devs used to stream on twitch years ago and they said are in the middle on nowhere so they've always struggled to attract talent to the studio.

It's not one thing but the sums of all its mistakes, lack of polish, poor gameplay, unlikable characters etc.
They would have been better off making a new game. Instead of basically killing the Saints Row brand with this one.

R6Rider

Gold Member
They're located in Champaign, IL which is about 2 hours from where I used to live. It's definitely not close to any large city.

Stop talking nonsense, the scale has always been 1 -10 you lot are are seemingly using your own 5-10 scale 🤣 seriously go read an Edge review before saying anything below 7 is terrible 🙄
I hate to tell you thus but as someone who's been reviewing games for a while I'd argue that anything below a 7 is starting to get into the "terrible" territory.

For example - most games below 5 have an enormous amount of technical problems and possibly game breaking bugs. (at least by how we rate games on our website and review guidelines)

A game that's a 6 is a game that has some technical issues but is playable from start to finish and doesn't have anything game breaking. And another reason a game is at a 6 is because it's just not fun and game design is bland/boring.

In case of our review of Saints Row game received a 5/10 because it's plagued by fundemental game design issues and overly bland lifeless world. Despite the game having a lot of graphical performance options , it still have a ton of graphical bugs and that was another problem for the score. Only reason we didn't go lower is because it's playable from start to finish and we haven't encountered any frequent crashes.

5 is not really worth your time free or not and anything below 5 is self explanatory.

6 is a game below average and is usually a rental or just play when it's very cheap.

7 is an average game with some redeeming qualities.

8 is a fun game with a few hitches here and there
9 is a great game but just lacking that 1 thing for that final oomph.

10 is not a perfect game, but is a masterpiece for what it is and most likely has very small issues or things that are rather just nitpicky at that point.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you thus but as someone who's been reviewing games for a while I'd argue that anything below a 7 is starting to get into the "terrible" territory.

For example - most games below 5 have an enormous amount of technical problems and possibly game breaking bugs. (at least by how we rate games on our website and review guidelines)

A game that's a 6 is a game that has some technical issues but is playable from start to finish and doesn't have anything game breaking. And another reason a game is at a 6 is because it's just not fun and game design is bland/boring.

In case of our review of Saints Row game received a 5/10 because it's plagued by fundemental game design issues and overly bland lifeless world. Despite the game having a lot of graphical performance options , it still have a ton of graphical bugs and that was another problem for the score. Only reason we didn't go lower is because it's playable from start to finish and we haven't encountered any frequent crashes.

5 is not really worth your time free or not and anything below 5 is self explanatory.

6 is a game below average and is usually a rental or just play when it's very cheap.

10 is not a perfect game, but is a masterpiece for what it is and most likely has very small issues or things that are rather just nitpicky at that point.
You're scale is all wrong, like I said go read Edge.

You're scale is all wrong, like I said go read Edge.
Might want to explain to me how our scale is wrong, because saying it's all wrong doesn't really give you any credibility no offense and just makes you sound like a sillygoose.

I am sorry my man but we've been in the industry for many years and have our guidelines and most publishers and developers are okay with our rules and regulations.

Why would we follow other websites? To be like them? No thanks, I am good. If you watched our Saints Row review we go quite deep to explain why the game gets a 5/10. It's a 17 minute long video, we actually take the time to explain things.

Then again, you are entitled to your opinion and this is a free world. As a matter of fact, there is no right or wrong. Some people prefer different rating systems and that's completely fine.

Thats why different there are different websites, because for someone website X is more fitting than website Y at reviewing games.

Last edited:
Trash ? Why your score is 5/10 then ? I dunno about USA but in France if your score is 5/10 at an exam you get the diploma.
5/10 is "average", no ?
Read a few posts below that I posted. It explains the score.

Also, you do realize we have to come up with inticing headlines right ? It's called marketing and getting clicks. Yes, Saints Row is trash because it's a fundementaly bad game at its core with barely any redeeming qualities. 5/10 maybe be average sure based of regular mathematically rules yeah absolutely. But this is video games scores we are talking about, not real math. They are perceived differently.

Last edited:
Might want to explain to me how our scale is wrong, because saying it's all wrong doesn't really give you any credibility no offense and just makes you sound like a sillygoose.

I am sorry my man but we've been in the industry for many years and have our guidelines and most publishers and developers are okay with our rules and regulations.

Why would we follow other websites? To be like them? No thanks, I am good. If you watched our Saints Row review we go quite deep to explain why the game gets a 5/10. It's a 17 minute long video, we actually take the time to explain things.

Then again, you are entitled to your opinion and this is a free world. As a matter of fact, there is no right or wrong. Some people prefer different rating systems and that's completely fine.

Thats why different there are different websites, because for someone website X is more fitting than website Y at reviewing games.
Go read Edge mate, you're a low end review site, Edge is the best.

Go read Edge mate, you're a low end review site, Edge is the best.
You are very poor at explaining and answering questions when directly asked mate. ;) I am not wasting my time on a competitors websites my friend. I have a team of people in the back who do that for me when requested.

Last edited:

Thanks for the review, but I've never liked the 1-10 scale. Why have 10 numbers if you're only ever gonna use 5 or even just 4 of them? What's the difference between a 4 and a 2 (no one cares)? It's grade school mentality, where 70% is a C and %50 is a fail. Half the scale is useless, unlike school asssignments none of the points matter if you get a 6 or lower. Technically you can use the full scale, 5 being average, but everyone has been trained to think only 7-10 is good.

5 star scale makes way more sense. 5 star best game ever, 4 stars great in most ways, 3 stars average some good some bad, 2 stars subpar but there might be some value, 1 star not worth it at all.

Thanks for the review, but I've never liked the 1-10 scale. Why have 10 numbers if you're only ever gonna use 5 or even just 4 of them? What's the difference between a 4 and a 2 (no one cares)? It's grade school mentality, where 70% is a C and %50 is a fail. Half the scale is useless, unlike school asssignments none of the points matter if you get a 6 or lower. Technically you can use the full scale, 5 being average, but everyone has been trained to think only 7-10 is good.

5 star scale makes way more sense. 5 star best game ever, 4 stars great in most ways, 3 stars average some good some bad, 2 stars subpar but there might be some value, 1 star not worth it at all.
I hear you on that and I think it's valid question. Here is my answer - as a kid when I read reviews I always found 1 - 10 more easier to understand to be honest.

I think the biggest issue with a 10 scale is when you start doing stuff like 7.4 or 9.4. Because like you said, what is the difference between 4 or 3. You are right, games these days ever get in to the 1-4 territory so why even have a 1 - 10 system?

I think because its the most traditional system that majority of people have been used too during the good years of IGN and Gamespot.

For me personally, it's more of a psychological thing rather than anything else, and I think it may be same for most people. I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but I am just being as honest and transparent as possible.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Trash ? Why your score is 5/10 then ? I dunno about USA but in France if your score is 5/10 at an exam you get the diploma.
5/10 is "average", no ?
In the usa a 6/10 might get you passed (area dependent, the US is huge, don't think of it as a monolith) a 5/10 is a failure. That also is the general scale for reviews. Not a lot of people will play a 6/10.

VN1X

Banned
Okay this is straight up a bought review right? These dolts gave it an 8.5. AN EIGHT POINT FIVE! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of the stuff this reviewer spouts sounds like it comes straight from promo material lol. "Then there's Kev, who is always shirtless, loves taco's and is one of the fathers to a fantastic cat!" ....Riiiiight.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Okay this is straight up a bought review right? These dolts gave it an 8.5. AN EIGHT POINT FIVE! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of the stuff this reviewer spouts sounds like it comes straight from promo material lol. "Then there's Kev, who is always shirtless, loves taco's and is one of the fathers to a fantastic cat!" ....Riiiiight.

A fantastic support cast (game informer 2022)

Even the comments are ripping a new one to these hacks.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Read a few posts below that I posted. It explains the score.

Also, you do realize we have to come up with inticing headlines right ? It's called marketing and getting clicks. Yes, Saints Row is trash because it's a fundementaly bad game at its core with barely any redeeming qualities. 5/10 maybe be average sure based of regular mathematically rules yeah absolutely. But this is video games scores we are talking about, not real math. They are perceived differently.
OK I see, well yes it reminds me the magazines in the 90s when a 70% score meant the game was trash. I think it means a 5/10 game is not trash, so this Saints Row isn't trash (I'm not interested in it though), in fact you can have fun with it and have a really good time but it's not just great if we think about current standards. It's what I feel but I haven't played it.

In the usa a 6/10 might get you passed (area dependent, the US is huge, don't think of it as a monolith) a 5/10 is a failure. That also is the general scale for reviews. Not a lot of people will play a 6/10.
Oh ok I didn't know that, well here yes a 5/10 (10/20 to be exact) is enough to succeed. :)

intbal

After watching extended gameplay videos of this, I promise to never again use The Gunk as an example of bad character dialogue.

... and is one of the fathers to a fantastic cat!

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Kadve

Yea my score tend to go

5: Mediocre

6: Decent

7: Good

8: Great

9: Amazing

I don't give 10's because i game cant be perfect (and i tend to frown whenever reviewers give them while still finding flaws). Also anything below 5 (and sometimes even that) isn't worth ones time. Unless its something that falls into a "so bad its good category"

The exception doesn’t prove the rule.
Listen the scale works one way 1 being the lowest 10 being the highest. If whomever is reviewing is using a 1 to 10 review score and they don't consider 5 as average then they are factually wrong period. Just because fools on here think a 7 out of 10 is average is irrelevant and beyond stupid. Please tell me you don't fall into that category?

Kadve

Listen the scale works one way 1 being the lowest 10 being the highest. If whomever is reviewing is using a 1 to 10 review score and they don't consider 5 as average then they are factually wrong period. Just because fools on here think a 7 out of 10 is average is irrelevant and beyond stupid. Please tell me you don't fall into that category?
Why would you wana play a mediocre or even decent game when good ones exist too? Yea i agree that having 7.0 as a lower barrier is kinda stupid. But it kinda has to be in order for a game to remain competive.

Why would you wana play a mediocre or even decent game when good ones exist too? Yea i agree that having 7.0 as a lower barrier is kinda stupid. But it kinda has to be in order for a game to remain competive.
Thank you, you see what I'm talking about. I know that most wouldn't consider a game that scores under 7 but a 7 score should be a good game right? Problem is the review system is broken if a 6 out of 10 game is terrible.

I'm not sure how this thread devolved into debating review scores, but I think that the reason most people look at scores like 5/10 as basically rubbish is because of school and the way we have all been graded. In the US anything lower than 65% is basically not a passing grade. Once the culture thinks like that you actually have to go out of your way to explain (like Edge magazine did) why a 5/10 actually means average instead of completely failing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
From Youtube commentary zone:

"Sorry our game sucks. We had to make dinner so this is the best we could do."

I swear this game wouldn't be such a letdown if they didn't call it Saints Row. Don't get me wrong, it would still be a mediocre zoomer power fantasy. But it wouldn't be a mockery of everything I loved about Saints Row.

Ezquimacore

Banned
After playing it all I can say is, if you like Saints row, you gonna like this. Yeah it's not modern at all, but if you can play saints row 3, you can definitely play this.

Thank you, you see what I'm talking about. I know that most wouldn't consider a game that scores under 7 but a 7 score should be a good game right? Problem is the review system is broken if a 6 out of 10 game is terrible.
It's just how the rating system works for most things. If I'm on Amazon and see something has 3 stars, I'll guess it;s probably not great. If a movie review gets 3 stars, it means it's pretty average. A game gets a 6-7, again, it's pretty average. It's just how most people view the scale and score on it.

RavageX

The amount of people who are seemingly okay with wasting time on a universally accepted bad game, just because it's included on their subscription service, is baffling.
I use game pass as a means to try games that Im not sure Id like, and want to give them a fair shake.

I would try this game only on game pass. Why? To prove myself 150% right.

RavageX

This may be hard for some here to believe, because it was many many years ago...

But there was a time a Saints Row game would score in the 80's on review aggregates. Crazy to believe today, but it's true.

A 67 was reserved for a crap games like True Crime or The Godfather.

If only THQ didn't do the Udraw.
Now wait just a minute. The True Crime games were not bad at all. I distinctly remember fighting a dragon while Megadeth was playing.

I cant say that about many cop games.

GenericUser

I would definitely take a close look if the game:

- would not look so childish
- had better graphics overall (looks really bad imo)
- had better open world/better gameplay

But from what I have seen, it's not even a mediocre GTA clone and it looks like it's made for the younger generation of gamers. It's a shame, because there aren't many new open world gangster games nowadays.

How can some give a 9 to this?? Not only it's broken, but it's a horrible game all around. Trash world building, with trash tier gunplay, plus worst story ever. They must be involved with the devs.

Top Bottom