• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row (2022) Tops UK sales charts. Ends Horizons two-week streak.

https://www.neoseeker.com/news/31059-saints-row-reboot-scores-chart-topping-uk-launch/
GfK confirms that the all-new Saints Row was the top selling game at UK retail last week. The 2022 reboot of Volition's irreverent action adventure franchise launched last week to mixed reviews on account of its numerous bugs and technical issues.

Saints Row 2022 still managed to end Horizon: Forbidden West's two-week streak at the top of UK charts, even after factoring Horzion's 120 percent week-over-week increase in sales during GfK's reporting period ended August 27th. Horizon: Forbidden West has consistently been a fixture in the Ukie weekly top ten since launch earlier this February, and is expected to remain in the spotlight now that the game comes bundled with new PS5 consoles.
UK Top Ten Software Sales 2022/08-21 - 2022/08/27
GamePlatform
1.Saints RowPS5 / Xbox Series X|S / PS4 / Xbox One / PC
2.Horizon: Forbidden WestPS5 / PS4
3.Nintendo Switch SportsSwitch
4.Mario Kart 8 DeluxeSwitch
5.Animal Crossing: New HorizonsSwitch
6.Pokémon Legends: ArceusSwitch
7.MinecraftPS4 / Xbox One / Switch / PC
8.Gran Turismo 7PS5 / PS4
9.Grand Theft Auto VPS5 / Xbox Series X|S / PS4 / Xbox One / PC
10.Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaPS5 / Xbox Series X|S / PS4 / Xbox One / Switch / PC

GTA V still in top 10.

Anyway, it seems people were really anticipating a new Saints Row and competition/alternative to GTA that they have still brought the game in large number despite the reviews, player impressions, Youtube vids mocking the game, and technical issues.

it shows that gaming forums, Gaming Youtubers, and the gaming press are once again disconnected from the casual gamer and the casuals that just play games on occasion and aren't gamers.

Also GT7 is lower than expected.

But the REAL test for Saints Row will be next week for the UK (and NPD report in September for the US), that will show us what the real demand for the game is, but right now it's smashing through other games. So much for the haters.

Btw, Horizon is a best-selling individual game that is also bundled with PS5's, one of the more common models found in the wild. Saints Row must have busted a cap up Horizons ass to outsell it despite that, because Saints Row has gangs, so bust a cap? You see the joke is...

Help.

Wohc

Banned

Woopah

At the very least it is not a terrible start for Saint's Row. The legs for Lego Star Wars continue to impress.

Orbital2060

Any actual unit sales for UK

Its hard to take these UKtop10s seriously if we are talking a few thousand copies sold.

What is the amount needed to break top 3? 3-4000 units?

PS5 doesn't look like it's doing too well. Only two exclusives there.

Nintendo is on fire! :messenger_fire:
I...this is boxed sales only.
Sony doesn't favor physical sales in a while, unlike Nintendo.

Last quarter 80% of all PS games were digital. The fact both Sony's big game releases from this year are top 10 is great lmao.

Last edited:

Three

Its hard to take these UKtop10s seriously if we are talking a few thousand copies sold.

These are weekly charts so numbers being in the 10s of thousands for a new release is typical.

Orbital2060

These are weekly charts so numbers being in the 10s of thousands for a new release is typical.
Is that a guesstimate or do you have some numbers? Not doubting what you say but the last time someone talked about UK numbers they were way below 10k copies for the number 1 spot. That was a Dring tweet randomly posted on clownera a long time ago.

Its just a problem that numbers arent reported but only the lists. At least as far as I can read. I just want some more details on the state of the physical retail market and these lists only serve to obscure that.

Last edited:

Woopah

Is that a guesstimate or do you have some numbers? Not doubting what you say but the last time someone talked about UK numbers they were way below 10k copies for the number 1 spot. That was a Dring tweet randomly posted on clownera a long time ago.

Its just a problem that numbers arent reported but only the lists. At least as far as I can read. I just want some more details on the state of the physical retail market and these lists only serve to obscure that.
It varies a lot depending on the release slate and time of year.

Ideally we would get the same data for all countries as we get for the Japanese market. But unfortunately that is not the case.

SJRB

Gold Member
iu

Elios83

Why does HFW get special treatment while GT7 does not?
At least in Japan a GT7 bundle is planned to be released soon.

The fact Horizon had a 120% increase in sales and still managed to be #2 this week even after stopping a Switch exclusive last week is great for Saints Row tbh.

Also, seems like PS5 is on its way to have a healthy fall 2022. Great for PS5. Ragnarok will sell a lot of those units for sure.

Yes things have been clearly improving a lot but I think that it's starting from September that we'll see a flood of shipments of the new hardware revision.

MrA

Banned
I...this is boxed sales only.
Sony doesn't favor physical sales in a while, unlike Nintendo.

Last quarter 80% of all PS games were digital. The fact both Sony's big game releases from this year are top 10 is great lmao.
That 80% includes every Taco jump and bunny girl rescue , every 3 dollar copy of good games on sale at 90% off, the sales of everyone of like 5000 games on the psn, and yes it does include new stuff but it isn't 80% of a new release is digital, new releases are still majority physical (heavily multi-player zero resale games like fifa launch at 50 50 from the last time we received info on it) and during the holidays physical releases gain ground.

They don't bundle it enough. Unlike Horizon.

GT used to sell without needing to depend on bundles.

That's an interesting take. it's in the top ten between Minecraft and GTA V, what was expected?

Top 5 as usual for GT titles before 7.

That's why I say we need to see next weeks too. Sales usually pick up in UK at the end of August going into September, if it's still number one it has to be closing in if not at 100k.

Last edited:

Three

GT used to sell without needing to depend on bundles.

Top 5 as usual for GT titles before 7.
What the fuck are you talking about?
First of all GT 7 is not officially bundled at all. Second this is GT Sport after 5 months vs GT7 at #8 after 5 months.

1. (*) Far Cry 5
2. (5) FIFA 18
3. (1) Sea of Thieves
4. (9) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. (12) PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
6. (13) Call of Duty: WW2
7. (2) A Way Out
8. (14) Assassin’s Creed Origins
9. (*) Forza Motorsport 7
10. (7) Grand Theft Auto 5
11. (10) Super Mario Odyssey
12. (21) Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy
13. (4) Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered
14. (8) EA Sports UFC 3
15. (23) Detective Pikachu
16. (6) Burnout Paradise Remastered
17. (19) Rocket League: Collector’s Edition
18. (16) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
19. (*) Gran Turismo: Sport
20. (11) Kirby Star Allies

And it didn't even chart the week before it.

What the fuck are you talking about?
First of all GT 7 is not officially bundled at all. Second this is GT Sport after 5 months vs GT7 at #8 after 5 months.
I never said it was bundled, you have to read the person I quoted and my post, no just my post by itselfor the context is gone.

Saber

Gold Member
Is it really that difficult for gamers to just not buy and play shit games?

Maybe I'm asking too much...

With the amount of dead brain people praising and defending things like Diablo Immortal, no. In fact, thanks to them Diablo 4 will have microtransactions as well and its gonna be a GaS.

Its just a bottomless pit at this point.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
GamePlatform

C'mon UK. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

Zones

PS5 doesn't look like it's doing too well. Only two exclusives there.

Nintendo is on fire! :messenger_fire:

And I wish people would stop buying GTA V. The game is nearly 9 years old and it's still in the top #10? :messenger_unamused:

Well done Saint's Row.
-GTA V (September 17, 2013)

"I wish people would stop buying GTA V. The game is nearly 9 years old and it's still in the top #10? :messenger_unamused:"

-Mario Kart 8 (May 29, 2014)

"Nintendo is on fire! :messenger_fire:"

92d909dd9a47037b824ca2e6b1c7cf46.gif

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 and GTA Trilogy were both trashed by reviewers, yet have sold over 18 million copies and 10 million copies respectively. Now Saints Row reboot debuts at #1 in the UK. And we wonder why devs and publishers keep releasing broken, buggy, glitchy shit.

TLZ

Banned
Is it really that difficult for gamers to just not buy and play shit games?

Maybe I'm asking too much...
Maybe a lot of people are buying based on their past Saints Row experiences thinking it's more of the same and are about to be hugely disappointed, if they aren't already.

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe a lot of people are buying based on their past Saints Row experiences thinking it's more of the same and are about to be hugely disappointed, if they aren't already.
Couldn't the same be said for Gran Turismo?

Or are we picking and choosing which games are bigger dissapointments?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I guess? We're just talking about Saints now.
I thought we were talking about fans of long running franchises expecting more of the same in 2022.

It's not like Saints Row fans are the first to find out a sequel don't live up to expectations.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 and GTA Trilogy were both trashed by reviewers, yet have sold over 18 million copies and 10 million copies respectively. Now Saints Row reboot debuts at #1 in the UK. And we wonder why devs and publishers keep releasing broken, buggy, glitchy shit.

Most people who are fans of massive selling games that attract millions of casual players don't often listen to reviews that much, that's only a small percentage, and usually it's wom that matters.

Since games like Cyberpunk were massive as well as the GT A trilogy, by the time the sales slowed down for these games they already sold over 10 million units.

Other game franchises, most of them, can't afford that, and reviews have bigger impact along with wom.

Banned

look at what music is the most popular, look at the most popular TV shows... being bad doesn't mean it will sell badly

look at what music is the most popular, look at the most popular TV shows... being bad doesn't mean it will sell badly

Actually given how big GTA is now, 10 million for GTA trilogy is actually a low amount, those sales must have slowed down quick. You'd think 20 million would have brought it or more before realizing what they purchased.

mckmas8808

Banned
https://www.neoseeker.com/news/31059-saints-row-reboot-scores-chart-topping-uk-launch/

UK Top Ten Software Sales 2022/08-21 - 2022/08/27
GamePlatform
2.Horizon: Forbidden WestPS5 / PS4
3.Nintendo Switch SportsSwitch
4.Mario Kart 8 DeluxeSwitch
5.Animal Crossing: New HorizonsSwitch
6.Pokémon Legends: ArceusSwitch
7.MinecraftPS4 / Xbox One / Switch / PC
8.Gran Turismo 7PS5 / PS4
9.Grand Theft Auto VPS5 / Xbox Series X|S / PS4 / Xbox One / PC
10.Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaPS5 / Xbox Series X|S / PS4 / Xbox One / Switch / PC

Anyway, it seems people were really anticipating a new Saints Row and competition/alternative to GTA that they have still brought the game in large number despite the reviews, player impressions, Youtube vids mocking the game, and technical issues.

it shows that gaming forums, Gaming Youtubers, and the gaming press are once again disconnected from the casual gamer and the casuals that just play games on occasion and aren't gamers.

Or it shows that good marketing works on casuals.

mckmas8808

Banned
Actually given how big GTA is now, 10 million for GTA trilogy is actually a low amount, those sales must have slowed down quick. You'd think 20 million would have brought it or more before realizing what they purchased.

As crazy as it sounds.....10 million is a terrible number for what that product "COULD" have been. I'd say it should have easily sold 20-25 million copies MINIMUM if done right.

As crazy as it sounds.....10 million is a terrible number for what that product "COULD" have been. I'd say it should have easily sold 20-25 million copies MINIMUM if done right.

Lol, I literally said in your quote I'd have expected the game to have sold 20 million just based on the popularity of those 3 games and the GTA brand, but the bad wom must have slowed sales down quickly.

Top Bottom