• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row - 30 mins of new Gameplay (Preview)

rubhen925

Got a chance to check the 4 hour early build thanks to Deep Silver. Basically the first 4 hours. It was certainly more fun than I thought.

- gameplay seems to focus more on guns and shooting. Melee was devoid in the first 4 hours, except for that finisher move, and kicks. Maybe you get melee weapons later?
- lots of car related activities
- chopper is there as well
- shooting felt a little off, as bullets wouldn't always go to where you're pointing at, it tends to spray a lot. Feathering the triggers worked better, than just holding it.
- driving feels different for each car, especially the drifting
- the audio for driving felt off, you could barely hear the engine lol.
- Also if you turn off licensed music, there's not much music in the game except of certain main missions.
- map is quite huge, I'll try to get a picture of that soon
- after the intro, you set your gang up, and can open new criminal enterprises and do activities for that, robbing banks, hijacking cars, and other things.
- I mean it's Saints Row. crazy explosions everywhere with realism thrown out the window withing the first 2 mins of moving the character. In the intro itself you get knocked around like a pinball from two rocket explosions and nothing happens to you lmao.

If there's any questions you guys want to ask, I'll answer them. I am writing a preview article for our site, so that should be up soon. Cheers

previous video had to be removed because apparently i showed cutscenes. So remade it with more gameplay snippets lol.

more videos:

Last edited:
The Wire GIF

Sounds like they sourced ubi level voice actors.

---------
Everything seem to be subpar from shooting, vehicle handling, voice acting to animations and the pop in is nuts brings back old ps360 memories. Physics straight up broken.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

*Your lieutenants stay around in base kind of like SR4 with a option to hear a short dialogue
*You can ride the top of cars and when it builds up speed, you can wing suit off
*There are dumpsters you can dig for cash and experience
*There doesn’t seem to be any hit animation when walking into the side of a moving train. You kind of just continue running forward while not moving
*There are points where you can lunch yourself into the air to wingsuit
*There seems to be a lot of health bars even for vehicles when they’re not exactly necessary
*There was a special ability where you throw someone while they have a grenade
*I know some people were confused before but yeah, there are clothing options not featured in Boss Factory that are in the game
*There’s a photo mode
*Assassinations are back
*You can buy emotes
*There’s an exploration achievement when you go past unique parts of the map
*There’s a call sign that appears on NPCs with a timer. I assume when the timer is up, more enemies(gangs/police) will appear
*Some buildings have an option to teleport you straight to the top
*You can get on top of the car you’re driving and wing suit from there

Last edited:

Neilg

The voice acting and script sucks absolute shit. everyone has the inflection of a children's tv presenter.

If it reviews decently i'd pick it up down the line on a sale. there's no way it's getting a 10/10 across the board score.

It's not funny, at all, but you can sort of tell where they thought it should be. Why do video game script writers not do it like TV and movies? They have the main writers come up with the scenario and a first pass of dialogue, and then they hire comedians to do a round of punch up and find jokes based on the narrative that can slip into the script. This is pretty much how most stand up comics pay their mortgage. And its how you end up with tv shows where there's a proper narrative but also a proper joke almost every other line.
Theres no fucking WAY any of this script went through professional punch up, and I just dont understand why you'd cut corners on something as big as the dialogue.

Last edited:

Karak

Mine for ACG

I guess in the end we just have to see how the full game comes together. I agree with most everything written in here.
Except I didn't have audio issues luckily. But I review on 3-5 machines for reviews so I am "looking forward" to that lol

Performance for me was actually pretty good across the 1080ti to the 3080ti and testing settings. I will dive into that fully in the review.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Looking at gta5, this one could be huge as people are just tired of gta5 after so many years. For me, it just looks like a game with no soul.

fatmarco

Graphically it looks very rough. Very flat and plastic looking.

The shooting looks particularly bad as well, I mean especially given how far open world games have come in that regard (There were open world 360 games with better looking gunplay than this). It sort of looks like a game that was delayed so many times it just fell into the Next gen (aka. current gen).

I'd give it a pass on it's weak graphics and primitive looking gameplay if the game had a style, tone, locale, narrative that I was interested in but it's also obviously blown it there too so I don't have much hope.

O7PP6J4.png

This is a full-priced game, btw.
What machine/specs is this video from? I'm getting last gen fallout 4 flashbacks.

4gE8HLL.gif

To be fair Saints Row games have always look kinda shit. I remember SR2 being horrendously washed out and blurry, on top of janky models for characters and cities. But that didn't stop it from being fun, which is the important part. I can get use to shitty graphics, but I can't get use to shitty gameplay. Whether this is fun or not... we'll see.

Droxcy

Gosh stuff on screen is ugly these games don't need this much UI also the whole scale of the game and the player is so odd.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Looks exactly like I remember SAINTS ROW looking like. Like, if you came expecting more than that. . .

Won't be picking this up at launch as not interested in picking this up on EPIC, but will certainly try it down the line.

O7PP6J4.png

. . .that you had no intention of buying.

This one will still have co op right?

Yes.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It does not look bad per se, but damn that main VA for your character (I know you can choose) is weak as fuck

Kupfer

Ok, the look would still be bearable, but the animations, the voice acting, the physics, the A.I., the gunplay and gameplay in general looks terrible and undynamic. GTAIV and even Crackdown on the 360 felt more advanced.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
DF preview with a 7700K x RTX 3080 PC

Im all in on this.
Back to Saints Row 2 vibes...sold sold sold.
I just hope it has more Raytracing features its already a taxing game but id still like to see RTGI....hopefully it supports Nvidia Freestyle i can enable SSRTGI.

Another game ruined by floating health bars, and the inevitable bullet sponge enemies that come with them :lollipop_angry_face:
You can turn off the health bars.

Why are they hiding any music lol?
Are there no Radio Stations or something?
Probably the preview is in creator mode which silences any licensed music.
A bunch of games with real world music do this now to make life easy for people who stream games.

The shooting looks particularly bad as well, I mean especially given how far open world games have come in that regard (There were open world 360 games with better looking gunplay than this). It sort of looks like a game that was delayed so many times it just fell into the Next gen (aka. current gen).
The controls are just like every other first person shooter on the market.
WASD + Mouse.
What gunplay in open world games are you talking about exactly? Got any examples?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ok, the look would still be bearable, but the animations, the voice acting, the physics, the A.I., the gunplay and gameplay in general looks terrible and undynamic. GTAIV and even Crackdown on the 360 felt more advanced.
Crackdown used an autolock system....there was no "gunplay" because you didnt actually aim the guns?
And this is coming from someone who absolutely loved Crackdown.....and Crackdown 3 (fight me!).

Kupfer

Crackdown used an autolock system....there was no "gunplay" because you didnt actually aim the guns?
And this is coming from someone who absolutely loved Crackdown.....and Crackdown 3 (fight me!).
Okay, I exaggerated with Crackdown, because I wanted to have a second protagonist on stage next to GTAIV, whos' controls aren't physics-based completely, which pissed off a lot of people at the time.
Nevertheless, the new Saints Row looks like it runs on rails.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

O7PP6J4.png

I don't understand the people super excited for this or saying it looks great. Infamous Second Son was a launch window open world PS4 game and looked MUCH better. I can't believe this is a current gen only title... Overly muddy textures, stuff animations, poor AI and physics, low draw distance, pop-in, and Ubisoft-esque game design should not be a standard for 2022.

Top Bottom