• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row - 30 mins of new Gameplay (Preview)

And it still looks like this running 4k/60 with Ray tracing on a 3090 lol
Which is great news. I would hope other games follow suit.
I can only imagine what it will look like on even a ps4 pro/one x, let alone a base xbox one/ps4
Probably more like the low quality youtube screenshot I quoted earlier instead of the Digital Foundry video.
It looks pretty bad dude.
Sure. I can't argue with someone's subjective taste so I'm not going to start now 🤷‍♂️
I hope I'm wrong and it's a blast and maybe I'll play it on game pass/ps+, but from this look I'm really not holding my breath.
Graphical quality and art style have never indicated how fun a game will be since the beginning of gaming, but I agree and I hope it's a blast to play as well.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Okay, I exaggerated with Crackdown, because I wanted to have a second protagonist on stage next to GTAIV, whos' controls aren't physics-based completely, which pissed off a lot of people at the time.
Nevertheless, the new Saints Row looks like it runs on rails.
The fact you hold GTAIV in the class of "great gunplay" is..........an opinion I guess.

This plays pretty much exactly like every other shooter out there WASD + Mouse with a pseudo cover system and roll dodges.
In fact it having roll dodges already puts it in a class above a bunch of other games that rely solely on strafing.

Kupfer

The fact you hold GTAIV in the class of "great gunplay" is..........an opinion I guess.

This plays pretty much exactly like every other shooter out there WASD + Mouse with a pseudo cover system and roll dodges.
In fact it having roll dodges already puts it in a class above a bunch of other games that rely solely on strafing.
It may be that it is something personal (of course it is, everyone has his preferences). But for me, what happens on the other side of the gun also plays a role, and when I compare the bulletsponges shown in this video might twitch spastically after a hit, ceasing for 3 seconds in between so that the player can react and push, with stumbling ragdolls, which try to catch themselves after a hit and limp away, but then collapse a few meters away, it's not hard for me to choose a clear favorite in terms of gunplay.
For me, weapons need to have an impact and feel powerful enough to create a fun gunplay experience.
Anyway, I don't want to argue at all. I'm just wondering why the game is the way it is and doesn't make it better. Maybe that's exactly how it's supposed to be and it just doesn't click for me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It may be that it is something personal (of course it is, everyone has his preferences). But for me, what happens on the other side of the gun also plays a role, and when I compare the bulletsponges shown in this video might twitch spastically after a hit, ceasing for 3 seconds in between so that the player can react and push, with stumbling ragdolls, which try to catch themselves after a hit and limp away, but then collapse a few meters away, it's not hard for me to choose a clear favorite in terms of gunplay.
For me, weapons need to have an impact and feel powerful enough to create a fun gunplay experience.
Anyway, I don't want to argue at all. I'm just wondering why the game is the way it is and doesn't make it better. Maybe that's exactly how it's supposed to be and it just doesn't click for me.

There you go.

Which is great news. I would hope other games follow suit.
Would have been better news if it was running at 1080/30/no RT, now it has no where but down on newer consoles, let alone last gen
Probably more like the low quality youtube screenshot I quoted earlier instead of the Digital Foundry video.
You mean the screen shot from the 30 minute gameplay clip on a 3090? This is literally the best it will look, rip previous gen
Sure. I can't argue with someone's subjective taste so I'm not going to start now 🤷‍♂️
Bit late
Graphical quality and art style have never indicated how fun a game will be since the beginning of gaming, but I agree and I hope it's a blast to play as well.
Right because the shooting and general gameplay looks super fun

Good luck with that

kiphalfton

Mine for ACG

I guess in the end we just have to see how the full game comes together. I agree with most everything written in here.
Except I didn't have audio issues luckily. But I review on 3-5 machines for reviews so I am "looking forward" to that lol

Performance for me was actually pretty good across the 1080ti to the 3080ti and testing settings. I will dive into that fully in the review.

Animations for glide suit look really weird. Somehow he goes from going 30-45mph on the car, then almost instantaneously doubling in speed when using the glid suit. Looks stupid, since that's not how physics works. Also when the guy jumps the car in the desert, and you can tell the car is able to be tilted forward, backwards, and clockwise/counterclockwise.

CitizenZ

Banned
"New" Gameplay

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

drotahorror

I was surprised ACG had good things to say about this. But then again, I never was a huge fan of SR so I'm definitely not the target audience. The art direction is awful, the gunplay looks wack, and it looks like this will have one of the things that annoy me in other SR games. You get powers or something that let's you fly around at will, negating all the cool customization they put into the cars. Zero reason to ever drive a car but they dedicate resources to let you customize them and crap.

Karak

Animations for glide suit look really weird. Somehow he goes from going 30-45mph on the car, then almost instantaneously doubling in speed when using the glid suit. Looks stupid, since that's not how physics works. Also when the guy jumps the car in the desert, and you can tell the car is able to be tilted forward, backwards, and clockwise/counterclockwise.
Ya agreed. You have that very odd switch off of animations. Something that sadly all of the SR games have had in some way or the other. Some less some more.
As for driving. YES and I love it. I noticed that right away moving the car in the air and because of the way the game plays I honestly have no issue with that.

EDMIX

oh wow this looks fucking crazy. A lot of this looks like that classic PS2/360 era over the top open world shit. I would buy it day 1 if I had the time, will end up picking it up on Black Friday though.
That's an insult to Fallout 4. Yes, it was limited by last gen consoles but it has some amazing art style. :messenger_ok:

Subjective. Both have a focus on gameplay above all else and I like the art style of both games for what they are trying to aim for.

Looks exactly like I remember SAINTS ROW looking like. Like, if you came expecting more than that. . .

Won't be picking this up at launch as not interested in picking this up on EPIC, but will certainly try it down the line.

. . .that you had no intention of buying.

Yes.

This does? Where is the color? The humor? The over the top jovial fun? All I see are a bunch of bland, forgettable locations, ugly as sin character designs, zero comedy, and maybe one or two gameplay moments taht could be fun in earlier Saint’s Row games.

fatmarco

The controls are just like every other first person shooter on the market.
WASD + Mouse.
What gunplay in open world games are you talking about exactly? Got any examples?

- I think the fact that it's using auto targeting, not just auto aim/subtle magnetism for one.

- The fact that the bullet impacts lack impact due to it being a simple cartoonish red splatter.

- There's also the lack of blood/bullet hole impact decals on the bodies.

- There's no blood on the ground too (which is something that's becoming strangely common in modern games not just this).

- And I guess just the fact that it looks fairly stiff animation wise, partly due to the cartoonish style but even with that considered it looks a bit archaic.

- I think also the general lack of fidelity in general on the enemies, as they lack self shadowing (there's a lack of complex shadows in general), texture detail and general geometric complexity which all together makes it look flat and less punchy than it could be.

As far as open world gunplay, obviously GTA V looks better in that regard, and I'd also take GTA IV due to its use of physics based animations. Ubisoft is pretty good in this regard too, Ghost Recon Wildlands/Brekapoint, Watch Dogs has a crisper look to it as well (at least 1 certainly does), The Division 1 and 2s combat (even accounting for the fact that those games enemies have large amounts of health) etc.

It just looks far too close to the 360 era Saints Row titles. And it's been almost a decade since the last one and two generations so I feel like having these sorts of expectations for what it should be achieving isn't too much.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You can turn off the health bars.
The game will inevitably be balanced around their presence, so I can weigh which enemies will sponge the most bullets. Judging by the way the gunplay looks, and the floating health bars, I expect the combat to feel more like Agents of Mayhem than Saints Row.

mxbison

Looks like it could be fun.

Definitely not a full price buy for me but I'll check it out if it ever comes to Gamepass/PS+.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Exclusively on IGN from San Diego Comic-Con, check out the first 15 minutes of gameplay from Saints Row, the new reboot of the long-running open-world crime sandbox game. Saints Row will be released on August 23, 2002, for PC (via Epic Games Store), PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One.

Last edited:
Top Bottom