• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’

carlosrox

Banned
If he means new-school gamers wouldn't know, maybe it's an old favorite or a big third party like Doom Marine.

If he means old-school gamers might not know then maybe it's a Fortnite character or something.

I kinda wanted to say maybe he'll actually go for the crazy left field shit like Goku but then he recommended it specifically for gamers.

I dunno what to make of this really, tomorrow morning will be interesting!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Master Chief, calling it now.
they will reveal Halo MCC for Switch at the same stream
As much as I want Doom Guy, I would like to see Chief get a spot.... but then it's revelled just like the koopa kids, you actually get the Reach cast and The Rookie as alternative outfits.

BootsLoader

Banned
My cousins uncle who works at Nintendo, Sephora/Konami and is a Snake Eater told me that the last character will be Kim Kardashian.

Jokes aside I think it will be Gerald of Rivia.

I'd have liked to see a combo of a regular and echo character be the final addition. Make it Doomguy and Master Chief. Two iconic FPS characters, together spanning almost the entire timeline of gaming.

Then again, I wouldn't mind an oddball choice either, such as Conker. But the likelihood that this last addition will be an "oddball" is pretty low, unless it's more of a "way way out of left field" sort of thing, like Sakurai himself, rather than just a rarely seen game character.

Last edited:

e0n

Kind of sounds like someone relevant to gaming, so likely not a joke/side character. That said, I'm still hoping for Phoenix Wright.

Little Mac

Gold Member
James Bond from N64 Goldeneye ... Mike Tyson from OG Punch Out ... or it's Sakurai himself.

tyson GIF

I'd have liked to see a combo of a regular and echo character be the final addition. Make it Doomguy and Master Chief. Two iconic FPS characters, together spanning almost the entire timeline of gaming.

Then again, I wouldn't mind an oddball choice either, such as Conker. But the likelihood that this last addition will be an "oddball" is pretty low, unless it's more of a "way way out of left field" sort of thing, like Sakurai himself, rather than just a rarely seen game character.
I just dont see it with that. Master Chief hasnt been in anything for Nintendo. Every other character has.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
4th Mii Fighter

BlackTron

I'm saddened that this is the last fighter, because there are two left that I really wanted to make it into the game. Master Chief and Rayman.

That said, I think Chief actually has a shot, and it would be glorious.

Manji Uzuki

No idea who will be but quite sure is some big japanese videogame character. I don't see there is any chance to be a character from a western game like Doom or MC or Lara... They are just not that popular in japan. Unless its something totally crazy like pong or tetris or something like that...

I just dont see it with that. Master Chief hasnt been in anything for Nintendo. Every other character has.
He hasn't been in anything yet. There is one slim chance of this happening, if Halo games are announced for the Switch within the day. Which is not impossible.

However even just Doomguy by himself would be neat. It's a great character that's very well known, and known to be on Nintendo consoles since way way back thanks to Doom 64 and ports of classic Doom to SNES and GBA. And he could finally mix things up alongside Isabelle, completing the crossover meme. :p

I just... don't think they'd add Doomguy if it's just him. FPS games are underrepresented and all, but... I can think of very few unique things he could have as a Smash fighter. With Master Chief as an echo (or vice versa, it's really not important who echoes whom), there'd at least be the Microsoft cooperation.

I'd say Sora is a more likely character than just Doomguy. Mostly because there could be some interesting mechanics that way, like maybe the card system from Chain of Memories, or something.

1. Sora
2. Kratos
3. Rayman
4. Crash
5. Subzero/Scorpion

Can't think of anyone else they would consider. Going to be interesting.

carlosrox

Banned
I've changed my mind. It probably means nothing.

Doom Marine would be best pick at this point and he's very deserving.

No fucking Sora, Dante, or any other shit post 2000s. Give us legacy characters.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They put so much into this game. It’s hard to imagine how they could possibly make another one for a long long time.

I don't think they will. Or if they do, it will be a completely different type of game. A massive overhaul/evolution.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’​

The last DLC fighter will be announced on Tuesday

bzE4dhf.jpg

Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai has encouraged video game fans to watch the game’s final character reveal, “even if you don’t play the game”.

“In just one day, the last fighter of Smash Bros. Ultimate will be announced,” he wrote on social media. “Even if you don’t play the game, if you’re interested in gaming I’d like to recommend you watch it.”

He added: “The new fighter may be a character that you don’t know or different from what you expected. But I hope you enjoy the broadcast itself and I had fun recording it.”

Hosted by Sakurai himself, the final Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal stream will take place on October 5 at 7am PT / 10am ET / 3pm BST. The event will be the final held for Ultimate, nearly three years after its first release.

Sakurai recently reiterated that the title’s next fighter after that will conclude development on the game.

“Finally, the next DLC fighter will be the last one,” he said. “There won’t be any more after that. It’ll be a while before that announcement, but it’ll be available this year as planned, so please be patient. It seems like the team will have to complete this project at home, right up until the end.”

Sakurai previously said he felt that there was “no way” the series would be able to have as many fighters or series represented again in future games.

lOAqIdZ.jpg

Kazuya Mishima from the Tekken series joined Ultimate on June 29, as part of the Challenger Pack 10 DLC, which also includes a new stage and a selection of music tracks from the Tekken franchise.

He was the 12th downloadable character to be added to Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Previous additions have included Banjo and Kazooie, the hero from Dragon Quest, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury and Steve from Minecraft.

Source: VGC

Kazuya and the Minecraft character are the worst special guest of the game.

I really hope Bring a real character.

P5 joker and the Hero of Dragon quest are the Best guest.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Kazuya and the Minecraft character are the worst special guest of the game.

I really hope Bring a real character.

P5 joker and the Hero of Dragon quest are the Best guest.
Wouldn't mind Kat

Ryu Kaiba

He said it'll be a 'character you might not recognise', presumably for the benefit of the younger generation, so I think we can rule modern games out.

It's gonna be someone really retro and confuse the shit out of anyone under 30.

Sakurai only has two rules-

1. Character has to have been initially created as a game character
2. Character has to have starred on a Nintendo platform

So that doesn't leave much opportunity for your criteria.
His only rule is it has to be a game character. The rest are fan-made-up rules.

lachesis

I think it's probably they'll have "one more thing" coming after the reveal? Like new BOTW2 video or whatnot...

Neff

His only rule is it has to be a game character. The rest are fan-made-up rules.

Nope, the Nintendo rule applies too. There are no characters in Smash who haven't appeared on a Nintendo platform before.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

1. Sora
2. Kratos
3. Rayman
4. Crash
5. Subzero/Scorpion

Can't think of anyone else they would consider. Going to be interesting.
Not any Mortal Kombat characters they won't be doing any Fatalities in this game.
and if it's true that it's not a character well known by Japan then maybe some Fortnite character..

...or Overwatch?
and possibly Master Chief.

Sora. Kratos. Rayman. Crash Bandicoot. D.Va. Master Chief.

I believe the last character is on this list.

..probably Master Chief, we're right next to Halo Infinite's launch, MS and Ninty are all buddy buddy, it makes sense.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Nope, the Nintendo rule applies too. There are no characters in Smash who haven't appeared on a Nintendo platform before.
People are always making up patterns and bullshit and time and time again they've been proven wrong. Just like every other "rule", it's a rule until its broken.

Joker from Persona 5 is in it, and while you may say "hE wAs iN pErSOnA Q" they literally said "From Persona 5 in their reveal.
regardless it was never stated by Sakurai that this was a rule, The only "Rule" he's stated is that he's sticking to game characters.

He said it'll be a 'character you might not recognise', presumably for the benefit of the younger generation, so I think we can rule modern games out.

It's gonna be someone really retro and confuse the shit out of anyone under 30.

Sakurai only has two rules-

1. Character has to have been initially created as a game character
2. Character has to have starred on a Nintendo platform

So that doesn't leave much opportunity for your criteria.

cloud and sephirot?

I want Kratos or Crash, or spyro....... but I think it will be one of the rabbids :messenger_sad_relieved:

but one thing is for sure, there will be lot of angry people

Last edited:
Top Bottom