• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai says you should watch Smash Bros.’ final character reveal ‘even if you don’t play’

Javthusiast

Banned
It wouldn't sell over 20 million copies then.

Very likely yes. Party games sell more than niche fighters. xD

Just kidding. Smash obviously managed to create it's own thing and millions of people love it, I personally just can't stand the floaty feeling gameplay, the hit feedback and sound etc. Not for me.

Bragr

Banned
I don't even like Smash too much but I'd have bought the game for a Chrono Trigger Character
Chrono Trigger? that game is amazing, but there are about 8 people who give a fuck about anyone from Chrono Trigger in Smash. That would be a terrible final character.

Drac84

images

Need to "connect" like trailers from kh3 trailers thus sora is good one addimg his appearance on handhelds(KH:COM for GBA\ KH:3D for 3ds) and switch release of KH:melody game

Thus he is stuck on KH1 outfit not his KH3

Last edited:

Fbh

Chrono Trigger? that game is amazing, but there are about 8 people who give a fuck about anyone from Chrono Trigger in Smash. That would be a terrible final character.

I don't own stock at Nintendo, I don't really care how much the DLC sells. I'm talking about which character I'd have liked to see.

Kabelly

most hilarious part is finally maybe getting the opportunity to get the Kingdom Hearts games on Switch only for them too be Cloud only.

Is there a big crossover between Smash fans and people who enjoy completely nonsensical, impenetrable stories?

Didn't really think Sora was that requested. Personally, I'd have much rather it been a deep cut from Nintendo's past, but I guess that doesn't move DLC packs.

SonicJams

Is sora really that loved? Or did a small group of passionate fans just vote a lot of times for him? Hard to believe he got voted for over master chief or crash bandicoot.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sora has been heavily requested for a very long time and Sakurai really loves KH. What is nice is KH trilogy coming to Switch for those that like the franchise.

But overall the last character is very underwhelming IMO.

Square Enix really put in a lot with Smash Ultimate with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and now Kingdom Hearts. The essential big 3.

I really hope Sakurai is finally done making his Mugen game so he can do other stuff.

Last edited:

april6e

Is sora really that loved? Or did a small group of passionate fans just vote a fuckload of times for him? Hard to believe he got voted for over master chief or crash bandicoot.

Why would you think that two non-japanese company characters would be more popular in Japan than Sora?

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don't see why the PS2 remasters can't run natively on the Switch. I understand KHIII being cloud since that was designed for the newer gen consoles. But the remasters?

Hell just do one big cart with the KH 1& 2 remasters being native Switch games, and then the Cloud KH3 as a menu option.

5pcf7w.jpg

Last edited:
Is sora really that loved? Or did a small group of passionate fans just vote a fuckload of times for him? Hard to believe he got voted for over master chief or crash bandicoot.
You can’t be serious. First of all, Master Chief was never ever ever in the running. He’s not on Nintendo, hasn’t ever been on Nintendo anything. Just wasn’t going to happen.

Secondly, are you outside of your mind? Why would you ever think that Crash could compete with Kingdom Hearts in popularity 😂

Mato

I read Sora and was confused and thought of Soma Cruz. I thought "hey that's cool" and then saw it was KH and made a reflex expression of derision.

93xfan

Banned
You can’t be serious. First of all, Master Chief was never ever ever in the running. He’s not on Nintendo, hasn’t ever been on Nintendo anything. Just wasn’t going to happen.

Secondly, are you outside of your mind? Why would you ever think that Crash could compete with Kingdom Hearts in popularity 😂

People just wanted crash for the mascot fights. I admit it would’ve been cool to do a match up with Mario Vs Sonic Vs Crash. Kazuya seems a good stand in though, as Tekken was a launch game and PS exclusive during that time.

I’m quite happy with what we got. Sora wasn’t in my top 20, but everything after Simon Belmont has been icing on the cake. What a great game!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Sora in smash is hype don't be sad. KH on the switch via cloud version is trash though.
I played control (cloud) on switch and played great.

I can understand being disappointed in not having a physical game you can put in the switch, but gameplay wise there were no issues with the Control cloud version.

Synless

Sora was among the worst outcome scenarios I had for the final character. I love KH too… fuck what a disappointing end.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I can understand being disappointed in not having a physical game you can put in the switch, but gameplay wise there were no issues with the Control cloud version.
It's a ownership issue. People like tangibility. It's a GaaS move. If the Cloud Servers die the games die. Although it is kind of cute since Sora means Sky which has clouds and all the KH games coming to Switch are going to be in Clouds.

clouds GIF by Ryan Seslow

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I also played it via Switch. Constant latency issues, lag, and controlled like shit (no pun intended).

Fuck streaming games. It will always be the absolute worst way to experience games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don't see why anyone is too disappointed. If you vibe with or detest the story in KH, the fact still stands that Sora has a fantastic moveset as far as "things that could be implemented into Smash easily,"

Strike Raid
Ragnarok
Ars Arcanum
Explosion
Slide Dash
Etc, etc,

And that's not to mention the magic options, or the Form changes.

Astral Dog

Sons of bitches did it, what amazing cast 🤩👏 👏👏👏all awesome videogame series and history are represented on this game even if not all in the way i wanted with their proper fighters, but we may never see a fighter as big as this one again, unless Sakurai says fuck it i want to make another one.

of course i expect the always toxic 'gamming community' to bitch for days because they wanted Master Chief or something

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I also played it via Switch. Constant latency issues, lag, and controlled like shit (no pun intended).

Fuck streaming games. It will always be the absolute worst way to experience games.
I haven't experienced that. My internet speed is great at home/office and even streaming games on my phones/tablets (I do live in a 5g mil coverage area) are fine. #blessed i guess?!?

Swift_Star

Banned
Is there a big crossover between Smash fans and people who enjoy completely nonsensical, impenetrable stories?

Didn't really think Sora was that requested. Personally, I'd have much rather it been a deep cut from Nintendo's past, but I guess that doesn't move DLC packs.
KH is pretty easy to follow, though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It's a ownership issue. People like tangibility. It's a GaaS move. If the Cloud Servers die the games die. Although it is kind of cute since Sora means Sky which has clouds and all the KH games coming to Switch are going to be in Clouds.

clouds GIF by Ryan Seslow
Even on cart SE would probably go the download route to minimize distribution costs...so damned either way potentially.

kunonabi

Yeah that woulda been worthy of the great setup they had.
Honestly I think they wanted Mickey to be a bigger part of this. Sora shaking Mario's hand seems like a pathetic replacement for Mickey and Mario shaking hands because Disney wouldn't play ball. I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Disney characters aren't even in the Final Smash.

MiguelItUp

I don't think Sora was worthy of that "hype" for the reveal, lol. But hey, for those that are excited, I'm happy for you!

Pejo

Man I'm disappointed, but I don't think that there was a character left that would really do the game justice as the "final" character. I'm just glad that the roster is finalized and they'll let Sakurai leave his office now.

I'd love a Kid Icarus sequel to the 3DS game.

carlosrox

Banned
Sora shaking Mario's hand seems like a pathetic replacement for Mickey and Mario shaking hands because Disney wouldn't play ball.

Yeah I could see that.

The final character for Smash being Mickey would have been fucking huge.

Instead we get cringe anime Nomura boy with big feet. I'm sure Gen Z'ers are happy.

I don’t even hate Sora or anything it's just as a final Smash character it feels weak to fans of legacy gaming.

RESET THE CLOCK!

Next Smash game needs to have

Ryu Hayabusa
Master Higgins
Bonk
Billy and Jimmy
Lance and Bill
Monster/Wonderbra
Sir Arthur
Goemon
Tails
Doom Marine

and many more classic characters that don't shop at Hot Topic.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Mindblowing cast, will likely never be a game with anything close to this.

FA8cjfDWQAs8HDs

I know this is GAF, so this is an unpopular opinion, but this image is like my entire childhood in jpeg. I won't be as dramatic as calling this "a historic moment," but it IS pretty damned cool to see all of the icons of my formative years of gaming in one spot like this. Thanks for the dedication and love of the craft, Sakurai.

Top Bottom