• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sale WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe™ SSD $179.99 2TB PS5

Gaiff

Gold Member
Me after buying 4 Samsung 970 EVO nvme SSDs three weeks ago for $159:

angry-kid.gif

graywolf323

Gold Member
dang, and I thought I got a great deal on the 2TB WD when the firmware was released for it in fall of 2021 for $350… the prices have dropped so much since then

oh well, I’ve gotten a good amount of use out of it this past year or so

Same, well i bought mine for 250 + tax, but the prices have plummeted.

By mid gen the 4tb should be the same price. All that FUD over having to use a screwdriver and people breaking their ps5’s and now look where we are lol

Last edited:

EDMIX

I won't be upgrading for some time.

I'm sticking to my cycle of playing games, deleting them when I'm done.

Only things staying would be BF and CoD. Everything else will be just cycled off when done. I realize i rarely play several games at once or something, the only random thing I really play is BF, Tetris, Lumines etc anything else is a single player game where after I'm done I'd just delete anyway.

Maybe I'll upgrade to some 4TB in a few years when the prices are low or I can get a good deal used or something. I'm sticking to my target number of $159 for 4TB lol

Iced Arcade

I won't be upgrading for some time.

I'm sticking to my cycle of playing games, deleting them when I'm done.
Exactly what I do. 9/10 I don't revisit a game for a year or more.

I hot swap a lot of games on and off my Series X with an external (super fast)... Can I do this on my PS5 as well?

EDMIX

Exactly what I do. 9/10 I don't revisit a game for a year or more.

I hot swap a lot of games on and off my Series X with an external (super fast)... Can I do this on my PS5 as well?

Yes, but i haven't used the feature on any external yet.

RPS37

This is why the new consoles launched with such little space and why Sony’s non-proprietary solution is superior.

Nah, they made their bed. They defended it, they twisted themselves in knots to argue it was the better solution.

Now let them lie in it.
Are you kidding me? They absolutely need to address this little tiny EXPENSIVE issue. If they release a PRO or Premium console they sure as hell better have this ironed out.
I bit my tongue and bought the 1TB expansion card. I'm not buying another until those prices get normal.

Great deal, I grabbed one of these during the BF sales and highly recommend it. Hardest part was popping the PS5 cover off. It’s not something people probably need, but I love having the option to keep a bunch of games installed especially with how large they’ve become.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would think expansion ram of this type would need to be on board.
No. The current memory cards aren't on the actual board. They could make an adapter where you could connect a Gen 4 NVME and us it as legit expansion. It would stick out far behind the XSX unless it had a bend shape. The XSX also doesn't require quite the super speeds that a PS5 SSD requires so that is a plus

No reason MS couldn't make their own official version of this. I do NOT recommend buying this as they're known to be flaky and very limited.

Last edited:
I remember when the two new consoles came out and tons of people were frustrated at Sony's laissez-faire approach to expanded storage, for various reasons. Seems to be the correct decision, however, as these prices vs. Microsoft's is pretty staggering.

PJX

I remember when the two new consoles came out and tons of people were frustrated at Sony's laissez-faire approach to expanded storage, for various reasons. Seems to be the correct decision, however, as these prices vs. Microsoft's is pretty staggering.
Remember it's all about giving players options.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The 4tb sn850x is going for $229 during the Amazon prime sale and that’s an insane deal… jump on it y’all!

Yep.....bought it yesterday. Insane.

I got a 1TB back when the feature first launched and I haven't come close to filing it, largely due to how much smaller most games are this gen.

Also using a 1TB external SSD for PS4 games so that helps.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The 4tb sn850x is going for $229 during the Amazon prime sale and that’s an insane deal… jump on it y’all!

Every time I see a 4tb on sale this low...I die a lil bit....

This is an insane deal. I got 2tb drives for me and some family members at this price and seeing this makes me question my judgement, lol.

Me also getting a 4tb for about $150 more than this..and that was a good deal at the time.

Bry0

Every time I see a 4tb on sale this low...I die a lil bit....

This is an insane deal. I got 2tb drives for me and some family members at this price and seeing this makes me question my judgement, lol.

Me also getting a 4tb for about $150 more than this..and that was a good deal at the time.
Memory always tanks like this. I would think of it like this, you got to enjoy your gen4 drives without waiting until gen5 came out. Not worth getting hung up on unless you were really willing to wait this long.

Top Bottom