• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sale WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe™ SSD $179.99 2TB PS5

calistan

I'm tempted but the spare M2 slot on my motherboard is actually beneath the graphics card. I guess they didn't anticipate three-slot cards when they designed it.

I would need a low-profile heat sink. These things get hot. Is it safe?

Kilau

I'm tempted but the spare M2 slot on my motherboard is actually beneath the graphics card. I guess they didn't anticipate three-slot cards when they designed it.

They work fine in notebooks with thermal pads or nothing, but that’s with some airflow. Depends on your clearance and if the gpu is going to cook it.

Bry0

I ran a gen 4 drive with a cheap Amazon heatsink behind my 4080 and it was totally fine. At the very worst it will throttle during a really long transfer but I tried explicitly to get that to happen with ssd benches and I couldnt

Last edited:

small_law

Seeing is how this thread came back up, the Samsung 990 is the fastest Gen 4 drive I've used, but if you can score a 980 two terabyte for cheap, that's the one to get for the ps5. I have 2 990s in my PC right now. The big difference is write speed. 990 really gets just under 6900 mbps for writes, but read speed is more important for gaming.

So if there is a two terabyte 980 floating around out there for dirt cheap, you can safely pick that up for your PS5.

Got a 990 pro 2TB for 200$ cad on Amazon yesterday
bought the 980 pro, then the 990 pro went on sale for cheaper (~$160) so i returned the 980 for the 990.
then the 980 went on super sale for like ~$90... and i considered returning the 990... but i got too lazy.
(all prices for 2tb, no heatsink)

probably liquidating stock because the pci-e 5.0 ones are around the corner.

Gorgon

The 4tb sn850x is going for $229 during the Amazon prime sale and that’s an insane deal… jump on it y’all!

Just notice that you have to add an heatsink to that.

angrod14

The latest WD_BLACK version released officially (specifically licensed) for the PS5 is the SN850P; it's even newer than the SN850X: https://www.westerndigital.com/prod...ck-sn850p-nvme-ssd-for-ps5#WDBBYV0040BNC-WRSN

It now supports 4TB with heatsink included, which is also redesigned compared to the previous version. It's faster than Cerny's neurotransmitters and you can download the whole PSN Store and brag about it.

I'll probably buy the 2TB version during Black Friday this year.

mclaren777

I bought this on my way home from work. Installation was a breeze.

eMv1DfW.png

EDMIX

Ima wait till one of those 4TB ones is on sale.

Until then, we are staying on team no-upgrade aka delete as we go.

EDMIX

I have the 4tb one, best NVME hands down

I'll likely buy the 4TB for a PC build I'm doing, I was going to get one for a build I did a week ago or so, but be cause its a form factor and the motherboard has the slot on the back, I had no room for one with a heatsink and it just made no sense to get something that expensive, with little to no cooling, so I was like "fuck it" lol

With the H1 V2 case, the riser cable and GPU basically cover the back part of that board, so its hard to fit any heatsink there and you'd need to take apart like 3 things to get to it lol Got a 4TB SSD for like $170 and called it a day.

So we'll use a 4TB NVME for the other build I'm doing and for the PS5 if the price is right.

WVKl9JI.jpg

Kakax11

Banned
I'll likely buy the 4TB for a PC build I'm doing, I was going to get one for a build I did a week ago or so, but be cause its a form factor and the motherboard has the slot on the back, I had no room for one with a heatsink and it just made no sense to get something that expensive, with little to no cooling, so I was like "fuck it" lol

With the H1 V2 case, the riser cable and GPU basically cover the back part of that board, so its hard to fit any heatsink there and you'd need to take apart like 3 things to get to it lol Got a 4TB SSD for like $170 and called it a day.

So we'll use a 4TB NVME for the other build I'm doing and for the PS5 if the price is right.

Keep an eye on Newegg.com they're having a sale probably tonight

EDMIX

Ima wait until its cheaper! lol

My fucking greed knows no bounds! lol

I'm just not playing enough to justify it right now and beat and delete is working just fine for me. By the time I feel I need it for real, we'll have much larger game files and that price will be way cheaper. We going to do the financially right thing here.

alstrike

I bought a SK Hynix P41 Platinum 2Tb for 99€ on Prime Day, the SN850X was like 35€ more I think. So far it’s running great and the PS5 rates it at 6500 MB/s.

And to think I bought a regular SN850 1Tb with heatsink for 199€ 18 months ago…

alstrike

I got the firecuda 2tb for same price, far better endurance.

That’s a great price but sadly here the 2TB without heatsink never went under 150€ (heatsink was like 200€) according to Keepa.

Endurance wise I don’t think I’ll ever reach the limit this SSD has (687GB/day), and even then it will probably get replaced next year and this P41 will go in an external enclosure and serve as a Time Machine for my computers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If the opportunity is right I’ll upgrade my ps5 digital edition console.

When I was younger I remember upgrading my ps3 80gb to something bigger.

upgrade-ps3-hard-drive.1280x600.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn, I'm about to build another computer for non gaming related stuff so I can leave this one for gaming alone. I was about to pull the trigger until I remembered I'm moving in the next few days (shipping to my country takes around 2 weeks) :(

EDMIX

If the opportunity is right I’ll upgrade my ps5 digital edition console.

When I was younger I remember upgrading my ps3 80gb to something bigger.

upgrade-ps3-hard-drive.1280x600.jpg

Truth.

Memories of that blue screw stripping lol

Don't know how reliable this brand is or If it's available in your countries.

But there's a 4TB Drive from fanxiang S880 with 7,300mb ready speeds for 260€/292$.

Top Bottom