• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales of Cyberpunk 2077 more than doubled after next-gen update, with majority on PlayStation

Draugoth

Gold Member

Cyberpunk-2077-5.jpg

PlayStation version accounted for majority of post-update sales, studio now primarily focused on story expansion

The recovery of Cyberpunk 2077 continues as CD Projekt reveals the release of the next-gen version resulted in a profit surge during the first quarter of this year.

The Polish games firm released its financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2022 last night. Here's what you need to know:

The numbers​

Revenue: 216.1 million PLN ($50.4 million) up 9% year-on-year
  • CD Projekt Red revenues: 179.3 million PLN ($41.8 million)
  • GOG revenues: 40.4 million PLN ($9.4 million)
Operating costs: 83.2 million PLN ($19.4 million), down 10%

Earnings before interest and tax: 85.3 million PLN ($19.9 million), up 98%

Net Profit: 68.9 million PLN ($16.1 million) - more than double the net profit of Q1 2021, up 112%

Net Profitability: 31.9%, up from 16.4%

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I think this was more of reflex of backlash and the removal of the game. Now that they announced a supposed fixed and better game, I think this sounds more like a proper release.

jaysius

Banned
The game was fun, right now there's nothing with this quality of open world out there in that environment. Deus Ex comes close but now with the size of the world they've built and the richness of it.

Even the side missions in this game are great fun.

People said Reeves "phoned in" his lines, but that's just the character.

Roxkis_ii

It doesn't surprise me that they unfucked their game, but I doubt they'll ever be able to rely on preorders ever again.
Sad to say, but I think you may have to much faith in people. I also doubt there will make the same mistakes their next game (hoping this isn't me having to much faith).

On topic.
The next gen update is what made me pull the trigger. Hell I was even tempted to grab on my ps4 pro before the update. The game is fun and I love the options it gives

Madflavor

I've made my peace with the fact that the game didn't end up what it was promised to be. I sat on it for a year and half and returned to the game when patch 1.5 released. I went into the game with an open mind, to judge it for what it is, not what it was supposed to be.

I love the game. I do. I'm so happy that I've grown to love it. It's not perfect, and it has many flaws. But the things the game does well, it does very well. I love the world, the visuals, the characters, the story, music, and I enjoy the combat and the builds to play with. I'm glad to see more people coming around to it. It's a great game that (understandable) left a very bad first impression on launch. I want a sequel. I hope CDPR learns from their lessons moving forward.

Allforce

I bought this for like 8 bucks (even with a Steel Book!) and installed it but haven't ever booted it up lol.

Is the game insane difficulty wise or can I just toss it on Easy and have a trip running around like a god?

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
I thought I would see sales Numbers.

I guess not 😕

This is a nothingburger news. Sales of the game were overwhelmingly on PC going into 2022. Then the console update launched, so holly shit, there was a surge of sales, wait for it, on consoles. Where the next gen patch happened. So this news is that in the month that they launched the console patches, the game sold on consoles. Its a nothing news basically. Funny thing is, PC sales were neck and neck with ps5 and PC outsold xbox, even though the patch was geared to consoles

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I played the game on PS5 from start to finish and it’s trash. Tried so hard to like it but it’s just not a good game.

The story picks up after the “big mission” but it never improves after that, gameplay is meh ….
As I've mentioned before, your buy-in with the game's world really ultimately depends upon how into the entire cyberpunk genre you are, I guess if you weren't a reader of the genre you wouldn't care so much about being in a cyberpunk world.

Gameplay was pretty decent for a FPS, it was extremely fun to use quickhacks mid-late game to kill everything.

Sentenza

It's a world of suckers out there.

I've made my peace with the fact that the game didn't end up what it was promised to be. I sat on it for a year and half and returned to the game when patch 1.5 released. I went into the game with an open mind, to judge it for what it is, not what it was supposed to be.
I went through a similar process. "let's wait for updates, maybe at some point it will improve enough".
And then i came to terms with the fact that there's no amount of fixing that can save this one from being a complete stinker, because it's simply poorly designed at its core and the bugs and technical shortcomings aren't even half of the problems.

Last edited:

TheMan

Yeah, next gen update with a discount pushed me to buy the game a second time on PS5 (bought day one on PC). Truth is there is a fun game there with an interesting story. Certainly not perfect (why does half the armor look so STUPID), but I think the massive technical issues on old gen consoles overshadowed some solid positives.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Imagine being that naive

Witcher 4 will have millions in preorders
true. people never learn. Witcher 4 will have a fuck load of pre orders. The excuse will be "CDPR is going back to what they are good at! It's Witcher! They know what they are doing!"

then if something happens like a graphics downgrade or features missing....

iu

[Sigma]

Yeah I bought it back in February after the next gen update. Still haven't played it yet though. Will at some point soon........I think.

Last edited:
Not suprised to some extent.

Witcher 3 was extreme popular in terms of sales on the PS4.

yeah it was. this was the last update we got for witcher 3.

• PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million
edit: actually that wasnt the last update. it has since gone on to sell over 40m units. didnt know witcher 3 was so popular. 40m is insane!

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I thought this would sell more on Xbox they have the marketing deal
Platform user differences.

PS has more users than Xbox, so it's expected, that they would sell alot.

I dont know how this is an issue.

Its like saying Japanese games sell better on Switch, compared to PS.

sendit

The game was fun, right now there's nothing with this quality of open world out there in that environment. Deus Ex comes close but now with the size of the world they've built and the richness of it.

Agreed. They nailed the atmosphere of a Cyberpunk themed world. However, the simulation part could use a lot of work. It pales in comparison to industry benchmarks like GTAV and RDR2.

Madflavor

It's a world of suckers out there.

I went through a similar process. "let's wait for updates, maybe at some point it will improve enough".
And then i came to terms with the fact that there's no amount of fixing that can save this one from being a complete stinker, because it's simply poorly designed at its core and the bugs and technical shortcomings aren't even half of the problems.

Kinda sounds like you're calling people suckers for enjoying the game. Whatever the case, to your last point I think that's ultimately subjective. There are obviously some things that are hard to defend, such as the Police AI. That imo is just awful. Gameplay has always been one of the more subjective aspects of any game, and when it comes to the story/characters/world, most people including the ones who dislike the game agreed that none of those things are a problem. So if people highly value those three things, and also happen to enjoy the gameplay, then it's not a case of people being suckers. They're just playing something that resonates with them more than you.

Sentenza

Kinda sounds like you're calling people suckers for enjoying the game.
Because I am.

There are obviously some things that are hard to defend, such as the Police AI. That imo is just awful.
And so it's the gunplay, the quest structure, the atrocious looting system/itemization, the poorly thought progression/leveling system, the bad and overly-linear player agency, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Raphael

yeah it was. this was the last update we got for witcher 3.

• PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million
edit: actually that wasnt the last update. it has since gone on to sell over 40m units. didnt know witcher 3 was so popular. 40m is insane!
Thats what you get when you offer a phenomenal game, packed with even better expansions at 10 bucks lol.

Its always in top10 whenever it goes on sale. It will continue to sell with the next gen upgrade. I expect 55-60 mln copies total at least in its lifetime.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Because I am.

And so it's the gunplay, the quest structure, the atrocious looting system/itemization, the poorly thought progression/leveling system, the bad and overly-linear player agency, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah those things don’t bother me in this game. I know I like the gunplay a lot, and I love the side gigs.

Madflavor

People forget way too fast. You can be 100% sure there's gonna be tons of pre-orders of whatever next AAA title CDPR launches.

Just speaking for only myself, I may love the game now, but I won't forget the deceit and how mishandled the game was. You can bet your ass my hype levels will be put into serious check with TW4 and the next CP game. Especially with the fact that a lot of the old guard that made The Witcher 3 amazing are gone.

RPSleon

Yeah i was expecting less from his performance. But he played the character exactly how he should have.

Top Bottom