• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales of Resident Evil 4 Top 4 Million Units

EDMIX

They will.

They do. But it doesn't matter.

If we see RE5: Remake, I'd expect a ton of changes to the indigenous population.

But you could have argued that about RE4....yet here we are with a remake.

If they cared that badly about that shit, not only would we not have a remake of RE4, we wouldn't have a remaster of RE5....

Why would they release it if they cared so badly about any of that? So I think you'll see some changes sure as RE4 literally has a lot, like Leon actually speaking Spanish and understanding what they are saying. So I think you'll get a RE5 remake 100%, I think we get a remake that also has a better explanation about them getting infected too. I think a lot of it is a non-issue.

Resident Evil 4 has been out 3 weeks and has sold 4 Million
Resident Evil 7 did 4 Million in October 2017
It released in January 2017
BIG difference.
Resident Evil 7 had legs but it sold slowly and was discounted fairly early which a lot of it sales came from.
But the Remakes have sold faster and rapidly catch up to RE7 sales in half the time.

This place was all too ready to call RE7 a flop and as I said at the time, I found it amazing how any game that sells more than 4 million is considered a flop no matter what sales target Capcom set, but tCapcom hate was strong then
Still, some like to make out Bayonetta 3 a sales success for selling a million copies. Amazing the double standards when it comes to a developer

Nautilus

Banned
Nah, they aren't remaking any of the spin off and they've already skipped over it. RE5 was also much more popular.
Code Veronica is not a spin off entry, as any who have played it would say to you. It's actually the true RE 3. It is quite necessary to explain some of the events that will happen in RE 5, and about a certain important character.

Last edited:

Rykan

Code Veronica is not a spin off entry, as any who have played it would say to you. It's actually the true RE 3. It is quite necessary to explain some of the events that will happen in RE 5, and about a certain important character.
It is a spin off. That's why it's not a numerical entry, and why it's being skipped as a remake. The theory that its actually the real RE3 has long been debunked.

Capcom is not going to base their decision to remake CV based on some story related detail. The vast majority of people who played RE5 didn't play CV anyway.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It is a spin off. That's why it's not a numerical entry, and why it's being skipped as a remake. The theory that its actually the real RE3 has long been debunked.

Capcom is not going to base their decision to remake CV based on some story related detail. The vast majority of people who played RE5 didn't play CV anyway.
But it is a main entry, because it has vital plot details to the main series, regardless of how people feel about it. It was always intended to be RE 3, and the other RE became 3 because Capcom needed a big seller, and Code Veronica wasn't ready in time for that.

Capcom will want to "pad out" these string of Remakes for as long as they can, because once they do 5 and 6, if they decide to jump main entries like Code Veronica, there won't be more remakes to make. So yeah, it's only logical to remake Code Veronica first, before moving on to RE 5, if they want to milk this as much as they can.

Last edited:

Rykan

But it is a main entry, because it has vital plot details to the main series, regardless of how people feel about it. It was always intended to be RE 3, and the other RE became 3 because Capcom needed a big seller, and Code Veronica wasn't ready in time for that.
It doesn't matter if it has vital plot details. Having plot related details in spin-offs isn't uncommon, and it's not a qualification for being a main entry. What you've said about RE 3 isn't entirely accurate. Resident Evil 3 was originally intended to be a spin off or rather "Side Story" to use more accurate terminology. This was later changed to a proper numbered sequel, and thus it became Resident Evil 3.

You are correct in the sense that Resident Evil: Code Veronica can be “considered” a mainline entry in all but name, as it was a continuation from Resident Evil 2,
However, it was never intended to be Resident Evil 3 as Capcom only wanted the mainline (Or numbered games) to be on Playstation at the time.

Capcom will want to "pad out" these string of Remakes for as long as they can, because once they do 5 and 6, if they decide to jump main entries like Code Veronica, there won't be more remakes to make. So yeah, it's only logical to remake Code Veronica first, before moving on to RE 5, if they want to milk this as much as they can.
It's not logical to remake Resident Evil 4 before remaking Resident Evil Code Veronica. Code Veronica came out before Resident Evil 4.

It has clearly been skipped. It doesn't make sense to go back to Resident Evil: CV instead of moving on to Resident Evil 5.

Capcom would likely want to release more remakes, but the challenges of over-saturation and rising development costs are likely larger obstacles than the availability of titles to remake. It is doubtful that they can sustain their current pace of remakes and new entries for much longer.

They will.

They do. But it doesn't matter.

If we see RE5: Remake, I'd expect a ton of changes to the indigenous population.
There was a bunch of drama about it when the game was released, and things have - erm - progressed wildly since then.

I remember some people claiming muh racism for re4 because the ganados spoke Spanish. Hilarious

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It doesn't matter if it has vital plot details. Having plot related details in spin-offs isn't uncommon, and it's not a qualification for being a main entry. What you've said about RE 3 isn't entirely accurate. Resident Evil 3 was originally intended to be a spin off or rather "Side Story" to use more accurate terminology. This was later changed to a proper numbered sequel, and thus it became Resident Evil 3.

You are correct in the sense that Resident Evil: Code Veronica can be “considered” a mainline entry in all but name, as it was a continuation from Resident Evil 2,
However, it was never intended to be Resident Evil 3 as Capcom only wanted the mainline (Or numbered games) to be on Playstation at the time.

It's not logical to remake Resident Evil 4 before remaking Resident Evil Code Veronica. Code Veronica came out before Resident Evil 4.

It has clearly been skipped. It doesn't make sense to go back to Resident Evil: CV instead of moving on to Resident Evil 5.

Capcom would likely want to release more remakes, but the challenges of over-saturation and rising development costs are likely larger obstacles than the availability of titles to remake. It is doubtful that they can sustain their current pace of remakes and new entries for much longer.
No. I don't understand why people overcomplicate these things. The revelation games are spin off games, in the sense that while they do take place in the same timeline, and the events on it are canon, the events are irrevelant to the main storyline(or at least they largery are).

Code Veronica events are NOT irrelevant, regardless if people care or not about it, or if people can easily play RE 2 and then skip straight to RE 5. It's not like Capcom cares about the order of release all that much, as you can easily tell Code Veronica events as a flashback and take into account the events of RE4. Or you can just go back in time and remake RE 0, with a focus of telling Umbrella's story, its goals, and about the founders, which would tie nicely with Code Veronica, and finally with RE 5.

If Capcom was so worried about oversaturation, Capcom would have stopped doing these remakes a long time ago, as we had 1 RE game almost every year since RE 7 lol. It's not like "Oh no, we already did 3 remakes. Doing Code Veronica AND RE 5 would be too much, as the increasing ammount of sales we make on each RE game demonstrate. So lets just do RE 5 Remake" lol. What a lame excuse you've come with.

Besides, this thread is all about especulation. I'm not saying what will happen, but rather what I want to happen. I don't get this attotude of yours of "I know better", especially on light of Code Veronica being far more similar to the remakes in terms of structure, since RE 5 is a co op game.

Chiggs

This.

RE: Code Veronica took the Chris vs Wesker beef to a whole new level. And holy shit, did Chris ever take a beating.

Eh, I see what you're driving at, but feel your comment isn't quite doing the facts of the situation justice.

Resident Evi 3: Nemesis was actually known as Resident Evil 1.9 internally. It started out as a spin-off.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/18/...il-capcom-changed-its-mind-at-the-last-minute

Aoyama recalls being caught completely off guard by the rebranding. “This game was supposed to be a spinoff, so I stuck to that framework during development. I was not expecting it to become Resident Evil 3 at all,” Aoyama explained.

Because it was intended to be a spinoff, Aoyama and Kawamura did not originally intend for “Resident Evil 1.9” to feature anyone from the first two games. Instead, it would focus on new characters.

But you could have argued that about RE4....yet here we are with a remake.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, bud. Not that I don't get your point; it's just that shooting Spanish villagers is a lot less politically charged than shooting black villagers--and at one point, natives.

Last edited:

Rykan

No. I don't understand why people overcomplicate these things. The revelation games are spin off games, in the sense that while they do take place in the same timeline, and the events on it are canon, the events are irrevelant to the main storyline(or at least they largery are).

Code Veronica events are NOT irrelevant, regardless if people care or not about it, or if people can easily play RE 2 and then skip straight to RE 5. It's not like Capcom cares about the order of release all that much, as you can easily tell Code Veronica events as a flashback and take into account the events of RE4. Or you can just go back in time and remake RE 0, with a focus of telling Umbrella's story, its goals, and about the founders, which would tie nicely with Code Veronica, and finally with RE 5.
Seems to me you're overcomplicating it . You're saying that CV isn't a spin off of while Revelations is because of some plot points that you've decided are more vital to the plot.

You're suggesting that Capcom "doesn't care about the order of release that much" when every single remake has been done in order of release of the numbered titles: 1,2,3 and recently 4.

It doesn't have to be that complex, mate. It's very straight forward: Capcom considers the numbered titles to be "Mainline" entries and everything else is considered to be a spin off. That's why only 1,2,3 and 4 got remade
If Capcom was so worried about oversaturation, Capcom would have stopped doing these remakes a long time ago, as we had 1 RE game almost every year since RE 7 lol. It's not like "Oh no, we already did 3 remakes. Doing Code Veronica AND RE 5 would be too much, as the increasing ammount of sales we make on each RE game demonstrate. So lets just do RE 5 Remake" lol. What a lame excuse you've come with.
Um..No. Just because they might be worried about eventual over saturation further down the line, doesn't mean they would have stopped making remakes long ago. They will probably keep remaking these games until they feel over saturation becomes a problem, or it becomes no longer feasible.
Besides, this thread is all about especulation. I'm not saying what will happen, but rather what I want to happen. I don't get this attotude of yours of "I know better", especially on light of Code Veronica being far more similar to the remakes in terms of structure, since RE 5 is a co op game.
Ok but you straight up quotes my post and said "Code Veronica will be next."
Resident Evil 5's gameplay and controls were as similar to RE4 as CV were to RE 3 and 2.

Besides, It would be quite jarring to go back from RE4 remake with its increased focus on action to a RE2 style remake with Code Veronica. Resident Evil: CV sold a fraction of what RE5 sold. After the success of RE4, it makes more sense to follow that up with a similar title in Resident Evil 5, than CV.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Seems to me you're overcomplicating it . You're saying that CV isn't a spin off of while Revelations is because of some plot points that you've decided are more vital to the plot.

You're suggesting that Capcom "doesn't care about the order of release that much" when every single remake has been done in order of release of the numbered titles: 1,2,3 and recently 4.

It doesn't have to be that complex, mate. It's very straight forward: Capcom considers the numbered titles to be "Mainline" entries and everything else is considered to be a spin off. That's why only 1,2,3 and 4 got remade

Um..No. Just because they might be worried about eventual over saturation further down the line, doesn't mean they would have stopped making remakes long ago. They will probably keep remaking these games until they feel over saturation becomes a problem, or it becomes no longer feasible.

Ok but you straight up quotes my post and said "Code Veronica will be next."
Resident Evil 5's gameplay and controls were as similar to RE4 as CV were to RE 3 and 2.

Besides, It would be quite jarring to go back from RE4 remake with its increased focus on action to a RE2 style remake with Code Veronica. Resident Evil: CV sold a fraction of what RE5 sold. After the success of RE4, it makes more sense to follow that up with a similar title in Resident Evil 5, than CV.
1 was never remaked in this new, recent wave of remakes. That remake is basically 20 years old by this point. So you yourself just proved that Capcom simply ignored the first mainline entry and remaked the SECOND game first. Capcom doesn't care if it's mainline or not, if it's numbered or not. They care what has more potential to sell. That's why they did 2 instead of 1(As the second entry is what made RE really popular, and people like 2 more than 1). It's why they did 4 before Code Veronica. It's a very compelling argument of why they might do 5 instead of Code Veronica, and not because "They only do numbered titles". Which is stupid at this point as they don't even properly numbered RE 8, calling it RE Village, and hiding the number in the letters.

And no, being mainline or not refers if that said title has plot important to the main storyline. That's how it always has been, and how will be going foward(MH dropped the numbers, RE seems to be dropping numbers, etc).

And since when a random user on the internet that says "Code Veronica will be next" knows for a fact that will indeed happen, and not you know, is speculating what next game is bound to be released? Did people all over the world lost the minimum of reading comprehension to understand this notion that we on a public forum share? Or do I have to be extremely specific on every single post I ever make? Instead of "Next game will be Code Veronica" I need to write "Hello everyone! I wish to say that, in my own humble, simple, and subjectivs opinion, that Capcom should remake a game that I feel like its important for the franchise story, which is Code Veronica. But I do hope everyone doesn't get offended by this humble, simple and dubjective wish of mine! If your own preffered game should be remade next, please do feel free to call me names and shut me up".

Some of you really need to go outside and touch some grass. Hell, after giving this response, I probably should too. So yeah,let's agree to disagree, and that will be the last response from me.

Rykan

1 was never remaked in this new, recent wave of remakes. That remake is basically 20 years old by this point. So you yourself just proved that Capcom simply ignored the first mainline entry and remaked the SECOND game first. Capcom doesn't care if it's mainline or not, if it's numbered or not. They care what has more potential to sell. That's why they did 2 instead of 1(As the second entry is what made RE really popular, and people like 2 more than 1). It's why they did 4 before Code Veronica. It's a very compelling argument of why they might do 5 instead of Code Veronica, and not because "They only do numbered titles". Which is stupid at this point as they don't even properly numbered RE 8, calling it RE Village, and hiding the number in the letters.
You're being intellectually dishonest now, mate. You're just making up arbitrary rules so that you can exclude the first Resident Evil remake. How old Resident Evil Remake is or in which “style” it was remade is completely irrelevant. Resident Evil 2 was picked to be remade because Resident Evil 1 was already remade. That's it. All the remakes have been developed in numerical order.

Yeah, they're clearly playing around a bit with Resident Evil village's name, but they are clearly highlighting the VIII part in the Village Logo.

It's fine if you think that total sales numbers of the original entry are the sole defining factor in the order of release (Although by that logic, you could argue that they should have skipped 3 as well), but can we then at least agree that RE5 is much more likely to be remade over CV then?

And no, being mainline or not refers if that said title has plot important to the main storyline. That's how it always has been, and how will be going foward(MH dropped the numbers, RE seems to be dropping numbers, etc).
That's not what mainline or spin off means. There are plenty of franchises that have some of their most important plot details take place in obvious spin-offs of the main entries.
And since when a random user on the internet that says "Code Veronica will be next" knows for a fact that will indeed happen, and not you know, is speculating what next game is bound to be released? Did people all over the world lost the minimum of reading comprehension to understand this notion that we on a public forum share? Or do I have to be extremely specific on every single post I ever make? Instead of "Next game will be Code Veronica" I need to write "Hello everyone! I wish to say that, in my own humble, simple, and subjectivs opinion, that Capcom should remake a game that I feel like its important for the franchise story, which is Code Veronica. But I do hope everyone doesn't get offended by this humble, simple and dubjective wish of mine! If your own preffered game should be remade next, please do feel free to call me names and shut me up".

Some of you really need to go outside and touch some grass. Hell, after giving this response, I probably should too. So yeah,let's agree to disagree, and that will be the last response from me.
I don't care how you formulate your opinion on here, but it's a bit hypocritical to tell me that I have an “Attitude” of “I know better” when that is quite literally what you're doing.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Resident Evil 4 has been out 3 weeks and has sold 4 Million
Resident Evil 7 did 4 Million in October 2017
It released in January 2017
BIG difference.
Resident Evil 7 had legs but it sold slowly and was discounted fairly early which a lot of it sales came from.
But the Remakes have sold faster and rapidly catch up to RE7 sales in half the time.
It was a slow burner but it won fans over who ended up buying RE8 at full price in much larger numbers.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Resident Evil is kind of like Zelda to me. It's a franchise that's predictable by design, but throws in variations with settings, characters and gameplay gimmicks, resulting in an experience that's almost akin to an amusement park ride if you play the games in each series in release order and quick succession you can see the gameplay and design evolve right before your eyes in a rare sort of gameplay continuity. You can clearly see ideas from older games refined into staples, enemies with such a historical gaming scene relevance that you become like a murderous biologist guessing weaknesses and attacks from foes as soon as you see them because "Oh, I've spent five games killing squirmy things with fire, bet I should use fire on this squirmy thing," and that's a convoluted explanation, but one of you will understand the vibe.

Another point that makes them alike for me, and perhaps more relevant to this thread, is the fact that, according to my tastes, I don't really think there's a single bad entry in the mainline titles. There were titles that are less great than other great titles, but the rubric is based on overall competent games. There are some "evolutionary dead ends," I guess, gameplay or story ideas that were launched but quickly aborted or the devs realized the winds of the current fad were changing (i.e. RE5 trying super fucking hard to be a dude bro game, Twilight Princess going the srsedgy route) but there hasn't been a game in either series I haven't seen the merit of it's existence.

Because you guys asked.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In some form or fashion, MULTIPLE Resident Evil games have you deal with the locals that's been affected by countless viruses. If people can't accept that this is a fictional piece then they got more problems to deal with.

The problem is that although shooting rural Europeans is fine, the virtue signallers would have a field day if it was rural Africans.

There is no rational justification, its just how some people are unable to get past the optics, and their own inherent biases of course.

In my opinion its really stupid, but if I were in Capcom's shoes I'd maybe wait a while to see if things get less reactionary.

It was originally planned to be the third game - you can kind of tell by it following the main plotline. What is RE3 was supposed to be the spin off - it just didn't end up that way.

kiphalfton

resident evil 4 GIF
What a great game.

I'm of course talking about the original, not the remake

Double edged sword.

Great that a single player game is selling well.

On the other hand, the better remakes sell, the more remakes we’ll get.

I’m tried of remakes. Give me new games.

Zero interest in a RE5 remake especially if it’s gonna be cross gen. Give me a new entry in the franchise that is current gen only.

Lots of people never played RE5 as it was the first big disappointment of the mainline series at the time and people were starting to experience franchise fatigue so I can't have been the only RE fan to skip it. It could do with a re-work to get it right.

But I agree last gen versions need to be dropped. That should have happened for RE4R.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Meh. In Resident Evil 6 some of the enemies were Chinese and Eastern European. From Resident Evil 4-6, several organizations fuck up the local populace regardless of location.

Resident Evil 2 & 3 - Raccoon City becomes hell on Earth due to the G-Virus infection throughout the city. Populace is hostile.
Resident Evil 4 - Spain. Villagers were unwillingly subjected to Las Plagas.
Resident Evil 5 - West African country. Same thing. Local populace affected by Uroboros Virus.
Resident Evil 6 - China/Eastern Europe/USA - C Virus is unleashed and all local populations are affected by numerous threat actors.

In some form or fashion, MULTIPLE Resident Evil games have you deal with the locals that's been affected by countless viruses. If people can't accept that this is a fictional piece then they got more problems to deal with.
Youre using logic that the people being upset by the scenario of the game cant grasp

Top Bottom