• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salt and Sacrifice Review Thread

Bullet Club

39YDnzA.jpg

Game Title: Salt and Sacrifice

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (May 10, 2022)
  • PC (May 10, 2022)
Developer: Ska Studios

1qqt55M.jpg

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Rymarr Williams - Unscored

A sidescrolling metroidvania with beautiful art and rewarding exploration, kept just shy of greatness by some frustrating design decisions

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4 / 5

As it stands, Salt and Sacrifice continues to nail down all of the moving parts and elements that go into creating an impressive Souls-like game. For most players –especially those just discovering the genre for the first time– this is an easy recommendation. But for the rest of us, it’s not quite enough anymore.

But Why Tho? - Arron Kluz - 7 / 10

Salt and Sacrifice is still a very worthwhile sequel to the original. While some of the elements don’t work as well as others, the game’s combat and build variety offer players a great sandbox to play around in.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 90 / 100

Occasional minor frustrations with the controls aside, it’s hard to find fault with Salt and Sacrifice’s challenging combat and level design. The original was one of the best 2D Soulslikes, and this follow-up has a more appealing style and plays even better, with more varied mechanics and deeper choices. While recent FromSoftware games have encouraged more assertive approaches to enemy encounters, Salt and Sacrifice has an old-school vibe that demands patience, determination, a willingness to grind and the ability to find satisfaction in doing so. Fans of the original won’t be disappointed, and more recent Souls converts will find a new addiction as well.

GameSkinny - John Schutt - 8 / 10

Salt and Sacrifice is a labor of love, one that will scratch any Souls veteran's itch for more mysterious worlds to explore, even if it doesn't succeed at everything.

GameXplain - Adam Conner - Mixed

Video Review - Quote not available

Gamepur - Zack Palm - 7 / 10

While certain bosses’ attack combos are troublesome to avoid given your character’s recovery time, the journey of Salt and Sacrifice is thoroughly enjoyable for anyone who enjoys soulslike games.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10

Salt and Sacrifice may not be the best Metroidvania ever made, but as a 2D distillation of the Soulslike formula, this is pure gaming alchemy.

TheGamer - Ryan Thomas Bamsey - 4.5 / 5

With all of that said, it cannot be understated how compelling this game feels. It takes all the best things from its inspirations and blends them together in a way that works. It’s a game with the combat of a Soulslike, the gameplay loop of a Monster Hunter, and the exploration of a Metroidvania, all set against a beautiful backdrop - conflicting flavours that come together to form a delicious experience. It’s greater than the sum of its parts, and it’s a game I won’t be putting down for a very long time.

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 3 / 5

Salt and Sacrifice is a Souls-like that would've made a killing a decade ago. Failing to learn from its contemporaries, it struggles to feel enjoyable in today's saturated market.

DavidGzz

Nice reviews! I may have to try to look past the animations and art style and give it a try. Never beat the first game but I got my money's worth out of it.

Saber

Gold Member
Gonna watch a few videos of gameplay/walkthrough to see if its worth. Definitivelly not a fan of the art and neither the mission like mode grabbed my attention.

I'm in a terrible streak of indies that are either meh or completelly dissapoints.

Neolombax

Not really a big fan of the art, but this game seems to have quite a following. Sort of tried the first game and didnt really like the art style, stopped after maybe 30mins of trying? Off late I'm in the mood for indie titles, and this looked interesting. The animation at least seems to have improved a bit from the previous game.

Ogbert

Unfortunately, not really enjoying it.

The combat seems to have taken a few steps back and the mage hunts are bloody awful. A large monster turns up and just chucks random mobs at you.

Way, WAY too much stun locking.

Also, really needs a map.

Will stick with it for a few more hours but not good so far.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ska Studios makes solid polished games. Bought a bunch of their indie games on 360.... Vampire Smile, ZP2kx and Imadeagamewithzombiesinit.

Watching videos, this S&S game reminds me of Vampire Smile hack and slash but with RPG elements.

jaysius

Banned
I was hyped AF to play this then I heard a few reviews you need to kill generic mages to grind gear and you need to do that TWICE to get enough resources... this is a rookie loot balance issue, no thanks.

The first one was OK but it became a cakewalk mid-late game due to the poor balance of a few of the weapons and that really ruined the game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the first 18 minutes of Salt and Sacrifice gameplay. Salt and Sacrifice is the follow-up to 2016's Salt and Sanctuary, which was one of the premier 2D souls likes. This video covers the tutorial, along with the first Named Mage hunt against the Pyromancer boss.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Looks promising, I platinumed the first game three times. Looking forward to playing the sequel, but man I gotta clear backlog a bit first.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Salt and Sanctuary was quite good. Quote Vaatividya :"A lot of souls like games are just looking like dark souls. Salt and Sanctuary doesn't look like dark souls, but plays and feels like dark souls."
This is just personal opinion, I don’t need other games to play like Souls games, if FROM stops making games then might look for other alternatives but until then I just stick with actual Souls games.

This will insure that don’t get burn out of Souls series.

ssringo

Really enjoyed the first one. Got 30 hours on Steam plus a couple playthroughs on PS4. Not really feeling this one though. It's been a while since the first one so I can't tell if I'm just not used to it yet or if my tastes have changed since then. Or maybe I'm still up Elden Ring's ass and nothing else is good enough.

Graciaus

Seeing a pretty big difference between critic and fan opinions on reddit. Seems they took the epic money for a reason .

Saber

Gold Member
And that affects the gameplay in what way?

Presentation, art design and direction is one of selling points of most of games since ages, similar to gameplay and other aspects. If wasn't much of deal you wouldn't see big leagues wasting their time and money with concept arts and drawings.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Ok. So it's a 2d monster hunter (lite).

If you like the idea of unskilled button mashing against random mobs to grind gear then this could be your thing.

I'm dropping it. Real disappointment.

Was a major fan of the first game. Double dipped on the first game on vita/ps4 and switch. I wish this was on switch though, I'd love playing it mobile. I like to play larger games on ps5 but bought it.
Looking forward to playing this. Best 2d metroidvania game there was since sotn, imo, hopefully this one doesn't disappoint!

Last edited:

CamHostage

This is just personal opinion, I don’t need other games to play like Souls games, if FROM stops making games then might look for other alternatives but until then I just stick with actual Souls games.

I think Salt and Sacrifice is a pretty different thing, being a 2D entry in the genre, but on your topic...

I get what you're saying, and I'm not sure what it would really take for "soulslike" to be a genre and not just a shorthand for games that ripped off a major hit... but if the follow-along games have something unique and compelling to them (and don't burn out the original concept,) I certainly see room. Like, if Platformer hadn't been considered a brand and instead that gameplay was called "Mariolike", we would have missed out on a lot of great platformers (and we would have saved ourselves from a lot of shitty ones too) if people pledged their loyalty to only Mario games. FPSes had the "Doom Clone" label stuck to it for a while, but some great games came out of developers loving Doom and wanting to try to top it or try something new with its formula. Gears-alikes never really took off (but there are a few,) while Uncharted is a fairly common action-adventure formula (which is interesting since Uncharted and Gears share some design philosophies.)

Generally, the imitators get ragged on as copycats for a while until eventually the genre get a little validation once a clone comes along with a lightsaber in the game...

darkforces01.gif
633662-925180_20050119_002.jpg
Trilla-QTE-1212x682.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I get what you're saying, and I'm not sure what it would really take for "soulslike" to be a genre and not just a shorthand for games that ripped off a major hit... but if the follow-along games have something unique and compelling to them (and don't burn out the original concept,) I certainly see room. Like, if Platformer hadn't been considered a brand and instead that gameplay was called "Mariolike", we would have missed out on a lot of great platformers (and we would have saved ourselves from a lot of shitty ones too) if people pledged their loyalty to only Mario games. FPSes had the "Doom Clone" label stuck to it for a while, but some great games came out of developers loving Doom and wanting to try to top it or try something new with its formula. Gears-alikes never really took off (but there are a few,) while Uncharted is a fairly common action-adventure formula (which is interesting since Uncharted and Gears share some design philosophies.)
So far to me its seems most "Souls like" game very on the nose where they get their inspiration from and most of the time they are just no where near as good as actual FROM games.

And in 2D I dont want Soul like combat, I want more like this....

Last edited:
Top Bottom