• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung’s Gaming TV Hub Launches w/ Xbox, Stadia, and GeForce Now streaming

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Samsung is launching its gaming hub for its 2022 smart TVs and monitors today. The hub brings together the best game streaming apps into a single location, with quick access to Nvidia’s GeForce Now, Google Stadia, Utomik, Twitch, and Microsoft’s new Xbox TV app. Even Amazon Luna will be available soon, neatly integrated into the Samsung Gaming Hub UI.

The gaming hub doesn’t act only as a launch point for cloud gaming, though. HDMI-connected video game consoles will feature inside the hub, alongside passthrough controller inputs so you can use a single controller instead of having to pair multiple ones. That means popular Bluetooth headsets and controllers will work across multiple apps, services, and devices through the Samsung Gaming Hub.

Banjo64

cumsessed
alongside passthrough controller inputs so you can use a single controller instead of having to pair multiple ones. That means popular Bluetooth headsets and controllers will work across multiple apps, services, and devices through the Samsung Gaming Hub.

yoooo that actually sounds slick but shame I don’t rate Samsung.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
alongside passthrough controller inputs so you can use a single controller instead of having to pair multiple ones. That means popular Bluetooth headsets and controllers will work across multiple apps, services, and devices through the Samsung Gaming Hub.

Yeah, that seems like a very useful feature to anyone who juggles more than one of those services regularly.

Banned
Tried Samsung once and returned it. Don't know how they are these days.

feature rich, great price... but color accuracy isn't great. they know how most people like their TV image and cater towards that instead of accuracy.

for gaming LG and Samsung are the best TV brands due to their often cutting edge features.

My almost 4 year old Samsung supports VRR on PS5 for example even tho It's an HDMI 2.0 TV, because they implemented the feature very early on

Last edited:

Shmunter

feature rich, great price... but color accuracy isn't great. they know how most people like their TV image and cater towards that instead of accuracy.

for gaming LG and Samsung are the best TV brands due to their often cutting edge features.

My almost 4 year old Samsung supports VRR on PS5 for example even tho It's an HDMI 2.0 TV, because they implemented the feature very early on
I’m surprised people enjoy Samsung for gaming. Have owned a few sets, and always found it to be the only brand where the picture quality nosedives dramatically in game mode vs regular viewing. All others are consistent with better gaming results imho.

NinjaBoiX

So I could play two player games on either XSX or PS5 with only one controller for each?

Banned
I’m surprised people enjoy Samsung for gaming. Have owned a few sets, and always found it to be the only brand where the picture quality nosedives dramatically in game mode vs regular viewing. All others are consistent with better gaming results imho.

it's the opposite actually. game mode drastically boosts brightness and contrast in newer models (it seems to me like they're basically enabling HDR brightness levels in that mode)
they are also one of the very few (if not the only) brands that support local dimmig when VRR is enabled

also they have had consistently the best input lag numbers for quite some time now

I couldn't tell you a single downside of them when used for gaming.
the features are there, latency is among the lowest you can get and the image quality is great

like, my TV is old as fuck and is Gsync compatible, HDMI VRR compatible and FreeSync compatible, while only the latter one was actually really advertised

Last edited:

Shmunter

it's the opposite actually. game mode drastically boosts brightness and contrast in newer models (it seems to me like they're basically enabling HDR brightness levels in that mode)
they are also one of the very few (if not the only) brands that support local dimmig when VRR is enabled

also they have had consistently the best input lag numbers for quite some time now

I couldn't tell you a single downside of them when used for gaming.
the features are there, latency is among the lowest you can get and the image quality is great
Well I haven’t had one since the q90a so maybe things have changed. But that’s what, only 2 years ago?

Banned
Well I haven’t had one since the q90a so maybe things have changed. But that’s what, only 2 years ago?

which TV do you use now? maybe you have one where the game mode doesn't really do much and still has lots of latency due to image processing?

you should see a difference in the image when changing to game mode, because that deactivates all image enhancements.
but still, on my almost 4 yo TV game mode looks pretty good

Shmunter

which TV do you use now? maybe you have one where the game mode doesn't really do much and still has lots of latency due to image processing?

you should see a difference in the image when changing to game mode, because that deactivates all image enhancements.
but still, on my almost 4 yo TV game mode looks pretty good
That’s the thing, only Samsung tears the game mode to bare minimum. But not only that, it alters the colour gamut and gamma curve which is just poor form. Even local dimming is pared back…although I never found it as objectionable as others on forums.

I use an 85” c825 mini led TCL at the moment. It’s superb in game mode with everything working, any latency is imperceptible to me in game mode.

Anyway, just my 2c

Last edited:
I use the hub daily...

scared south park GIF

Banned
That’s the thing, only Samsung tears the game mode to bare minimum. But not only that, it alters the colour gamut and gamma curve which is just poor form. Even local dimming is pared back…although I never found it as objectionable as others on forums.

I use an 85” c825 mini led TCL at the moment. It’s superb in game mode with everything working, any latency is imperceptible to me in game mode.

Anyway, just my 2c

the color and gamma can be adjusted pretty well. newer models apparently let you calibrate the image using your phone and it apparently gets extremely high accuracy using that.

don't TCL and Samsung use the same panels btw.? at least some models

Last edited:

Fredrik

Convenient but should have PS+ too.

I wonder how the Geforce Now 2FA login jank will work on a TV though. I’m using a mobile as a track pad on Nvidia Shield, I doubt Samsung’s solution is any better going by previous experiences of moving an arrow in their browser with a TV remote.

Shmunter

the color and gamma can be adjusted pretty well. newer models apparently let you calibrate the image using your phone and it apparently gets extremely high accuracy using that.

Panel sharing is incestual in the industry. At the end of the day it’s the circuits and choices manufacturers take that makes all the difference.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just bought my Sony A80J OLED late last year, so I’m not currently in the market for a new TV.

If I was in the market, I would definitely consider a Samsung.

Ok, but why tell us exactly which tv you bought? 🤔

Elbereth

Ok, but why tell us exactly which tv you bought? 🤔

Okay, why are you so insecure about the TV I purchased in a thread about…TVs? Or, was I only able to talk about Samsung TVs🤔

In any case, I’ll humor you.

It’s a great OLED TV that I was able to purchase at a really good price. The features (VRR, HDR, etc) satisfy my needs for my Series X, PS5 and other HD content. My last 4K UHD was a Samsung and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And their color engine is oversaturated more often than not.

12Dannu123

Convenient but should have PS+ too.

I wonder how the Geforce Now 2FA login jank will work on a TV though. I’m using a mobile as a track pad on Nvidia Shield, I doubt Samsung’s solution is any better going by previous experiences of moving an arrow in their browser with a TV remote.

The PS+ app is Sony's job, not Samsung, and its pretty unlikely that Sony will want to push PS+ on a competitor service, when they have their own TVs.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Okay, why are you so insecure about the TV I purchased in a thread about…TVs? Or, was I only able to talk about Samsung TVs🤔

In any case, I’ll humor you.

It’s a great OLED TV that I was able to purchase at a really good price. The features (VRR, HDR, etc) satisfy my needs for my Series X, PS5 and other HD content. My last 4K UHD was a Samsung and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree that's a great TV, what I thought was odd that you needed to say exactly what model you had in a thread about Samsung TV's.
I felt like it was an exercise in bragging, but I am in fact being silly, why wouldn't someone want to talk about a TV they love and are proud of? (I was being too judgmental)

Elbereth

I agree that's a great TV, what I thought was odd that you needed to say exactly what model you had in a thread about Samsung TV's.
I felt like it was an exercise in bragging, but I am in fact being silly, why wouldn't someone want to talk about a TV they love and are proud of? (I was being too judgmental)

You know, I really appreciate the humility and maturity my friend.

My beginnings are so humble, I could never brag about anything ever really.

Batiman

Banned
This is my take. My 2019 Samsung Q70 has been nothing but a bag of lies and dissappointment. Samsung is on the bottom of my consider list for a replacement TV.
Bro this TV is still tormenting me. I have a slash of what looks like dirty screen effect at the bottom middle of my Screen which is only really noticeable when panning on flat colours. So playing a lot of indies and fifa is driving me nuts. It’s not really noticeable watching tv or movies but playing games is eating me alive lol. Gonna get a C1 just for that little blotch alone. Can’t take it anymore.

Does anyone know a quick fix? I’ve read massaging that area might fix it but I doubt it

Last edited:

Beechos

I just got a 85" qn90a, came from a 75" tcl 2020 tcl 6 series. Happy with it so far except for the samsung interface. Theres no perfect tv just google any tv brand/model and youll find tons of people complaining about problems.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Bro this TV is still tormenting me. I have a slash of what looks like dirty screen effect at the bottom middle of my Screen which is only really noticeable when panning on flat colours. So playing a lot of indies and fifa is driving me nuts. It’s not really noticeable watching tv or movies but playing games is eating me alive lol. Gonna get a C1 just for that little blotch alone. Can’t take it anymore.

Does anyone know a quick fix? I’ve read massaging that area might fix it but I doubt it
Have you tried contacting Samsung?

I had a TV with an issue, and for whatever reason (since I never do it) I called Samsung to ask about it.. and.. like 2 days later a guy showed up and fixed my TV, replacing a part.. and nobody charged me anything lol

Since then that TV hasn't had any problems, and it's probably a decade old.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Have you tried contacting Samsung?

I had a TV with an issue, and for whatever reason (since I never do it) I called Samsung to ask about it.. and.. like 2 days later a guy showed up and fixed my TV, replacing a part.. and nobody charged me anything lol

Since then that TV hasn't had any problems, and it's probably a decade old.
It’s out of warranty and from what I understand they probably wouldn’t do shit. That’s at least from what I read online. Maybe I’ll try….

I honestly can’t remember how old this TV is. I’m thinking 4 years?

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
This is my take. My 2019 Samsung Q70 has been nothing but a bag of lies and dissappointment. Samsung is on the bottom of my consider list for a replacement TV.
Who cares ? 😎
The only thing to know is...
Wherever you go (Samsung, LG, Philips, Hisense, TCL, all devices with android TV), you'll always have your favorite logo on the main screen.

Your beloved Stadia logo 🥳

Last edited:
Top Bottom