• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Announces Cloud Gaming Platform

Skyfox

I wonder whether a geforce now app on tizen with samsung tv bluetooth would be more responsive than edge on xbox...

hemo memo

Gold Member
Jokes aside, this could be the death of consoles in the future, especially now big players like Samsung are on board.

Why buy expensive hardware and spend money on a single game, when you can stream to your TV with a subscription service.
Subscription service is the future that’s right but a powerful hardware is needed. Internet infrastructure is not there yet. Maybe in the future.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More competition in cloud gaming is good, so they all sink with this pathetic ship.

screaming season 10 GIF

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Corporations are really desperate to control everything huh? They really don;t want us to have access to hardware or software eh? Just buy a sub and enjoy no more real ownership.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Subscription service is the future that’s right but a powerful hardware is needed. Internet infrastructure is not there yet. Maybe in the future.

Years ago, nobody took subscription services seriously. 'Who wants to rent games rather than buy them' was the excuse. But look now. Now everybody would rather have a subscription than buy single games.

Same thing goes for cloud gaming. People turn their noses up at it now, but in a few years everyone will only want the cloud/sub combo.

HTK

Banned
They can all start a cloud platform but if you don't have compelling 1st party games it ain't going nowhere.

TrebleShot

The streaming wars have begun.
Essentially all companies vying to do it “right” first.

Xbox and Stadia ahead ATM but Sony will have something up their sleeves - whether they have the money or infrastructure to make it work is another thing.

I think this is the last legit hardware gen aka PS5 etc with native GPUs etc.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I love how every company has regrets about not taking gaming seriously and now they're trying to rush and do what MS, Nintendo and Sony have been doing for 40 years.

Alebrije

So I guess in the future Samsung tvs will come with a controller for videogames unless you can use any usb/ bluet controller

Meanwhile, Gamepass is still a thing, and it is good. Let these guys figure out streaming, because it's going to be the way we play one day.

(I still download my movies, so I'm the last one that wants a subpar experience.)

Last edited:

nikolino840

Mean another streaming platform own by samsung like netflix (with games bought by samsung ) or a network build for app for streaming games? Like gamepass luna stadia now etc..

BigBeauford

*companies with near endless resources struggle and fail to launch gaming streaming services*

Samsung: how hard can it be!?

Boglin

There are people who have a good internet connection and aren't sensitive to a higher latency which this type of service would be great for but the marketing for gaming is heavily favored to push people to get any performance advantage they can, dissuading those individuals from converting.
I don't think game streaming will be replacing people's personal machines anytime soon. At least not in any great numbers.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You seem to take streaming music and movies for granted. They're only feasibly 'easy' to you because you're not considering that they, too, had to cross what's known as the technological chasm.
It's not any different from radio or tv ultimately though. Needs a memory buffer, thats about it.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
If Google couldn't make this take off, I'm not sure about Samsung...
I'm still curious.
What strategy will they prepare ? They have a good card to play in south korea with their TV leadership and ultra fast internet...

Top Bottom