• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces QD OLED TV lineup with over 2000 nits peak brightness

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
amsung Display is heading to CES 2023 with innovative products that hint at the future of OLED technology.

The company will hold an invitation-only exhibit January 4-7 under the theme, “Disruptive Tech Journey Unlocks Sustainable Futures” at CES, the first fully in-person event since 2020. Samsung Display is bringing innovative OLED products of all sizes, small, medium and large, to provide a glimpse into the future of displays. Among the innovations will be 'Flex Hybrid' which combines both foldable and slidable capabilities into one display and large-screen slidables, which will be the prototype of future laptops. And QD-OLED 2023 will feature brighter and more realistic image quality thanks to the advanced optimization algorithm, IntelliSense AI and new OLED HyperEfficient EL material.

Future of Smart Mobile Devices: Slidable
Samsung Display has been introducing next-generation foldable and slidable products through various exhibitions in the past. At CES 2023, the company looks to showcase its future smart mobile device, Flex Hybrid, which combines two innovative technologies into one. Foldable technology is applied to the left side of the screen with slidable technology on the right side of the Flex Hybrid. Users can enjoy movies and videos on the 10.5-inch display in aspect ratio of 4:3 or on the 12.4-inch larger screen in 16:10 screen ratio.

rHW4zwAPxY_20230103091805.jpg

_Ap5ZQxWjM_20230103091805.jpg
▲ Samsung Display's 'Flex Hybrid' combining foldable and slidable

The 17-inch large-screen slidable display, which was previewed at Intel Innovation 2022 by Samsung Display CEO JS Choi in September, will make its first public appearance at CES. The slidable display has two concepts, Flex Slidable Solo, which can expand the screen in one direction and Flex Slidable Duet, which expands the display in both directions. The display is very portable at only 13-14 inches but can be expanded to 17.3 inches for multitasking purposes, playing games, or watching movies.

iWLC4HigqV_20230103092341.jpg
▲ Samsung Display's 'Flex Slidable Duet' expanded in both directions

‘QD-OLED 2023’ with advanced AI algorithm and HyperEfficient EL material
QD-OLED display technology, which first appeared at CES 2022 to surprise consumers with its unprecedented color and the best image quality without distortion at any viewing angle, will make it to CES again as an upgraded version, ‘QD-OLED 2023’.

Samsung Display completed its 2023 lineup by adding QD-OLED displays to the super-large 77-inch TV, the largest in the QD-OLED family that also includes 55-, 65-, 34-inch displays as well as a 49-inch ultra-wide monitor. In particular, 2023 lineup products are applied with advanced optimization algorithm IntelliSense AI and new OLED HyperEfficient EL material improving the color brightness of each RGB. As a result, the maximum brightness of combined RGB color brightness becomes more than 2,000 nits realizing overwhelming image quality once again.

ZvV9SwcH4J_20230103092444.jpg
▲ Samsung Display's Super Large 77-inch QD-OLED for TVs
P5Ci3Fu4F9_20230103092457.jpg
▲ Samsung Display's Ultra-side 49-inch QD-OLED for monitors

Samsung Display explained that AI technology based on big data collects information on each pixel in real-time and uses it to precisely control light, allowing viewers to enjoy outstanding image quality and panel efficiency has been greatly increased with advanced AI technology.

In addition, the efficiency of the light source is increased with the new OLED HyperEfficient EL material applied to the blue emitting layer of QD-OLED. As a result, RGB light that passes through the QD color conversion layer is much brighter and the colors much clearer.

The company announced that QD-OLED 2023 has reduced power consumption of 2022 model up to 25 percent by applying high-efficiency organic materials and more advanced AI technology. The consumers will be able to enjoy accurate colors and richer picture quality on bright screens as well as dark screens while reducing power consumption.

New Digital Cockpit: Unlocking next-level experiences in self-driving vehicles
Samsung Display is unveiling for the first time a product for automobiles, New Digital Cockpit, targeting the self-driving vehicle market which is expected to grow rapidly in the future.

lrEEr8MxRI_20230103092926.jpg
▲ Samsung Display's 'New Digital Cockpit' targeting the self-driving vehicle

This product is a display designed for automotive digital cockpits combining a 34-inch display with a 15.6-inch display. The large screen can be used as a display for entertainment in autonomous driving mode. The 700R curvature of the cockpit display delivers the optimal viewing experience in driving mode, which helps the driver focus on the road.

"OLED is in the limelight as a key part of luxurious car interior design as it adds ‘perfect black expression’ to design." said a Samsung Display official, “With Samsung Display’s flexible and curved design products, we’re able to offer a variety of automotive solutions.”

Samsung Display’s exhibition space also introduces eco-friendly technologies for a sustainable future. In the OLED Grows Green zone, eco-friendly and low-power technologies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions are introduced, while the process of recycling glass, an irreplaceable resource in the OLED production process, is explained in clear detail.
CES2023QD-OLEDFlex HybridNew Digital Cockpit

https://global.samsungdisplay.com/31057

sachos

Between this and LG, sounds like brightness is the big selling point with these new displays this year.

As someone who watches TV/plays games in a pitch black room 99% of the time...

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots
You need as high brightness as possible to fully comply with the HDR standard, these new line of TVs seem like a big leap

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You need as high brightness as possible to fully comply with the HDR standard, these new line of TVs seem like a big leap

Not really. That's what tone mapping is for. I really don't think the average consumer is going to even want TVs this bright. It's going to cause a lot of eye strain.

I get that it will result in much more HDR specular highlight pop and increased color volume, but I just can't imagine needing 2000+ nits of brightness in normal viewing.

Last edited:

Neilg

Not really. That's what tone mapping is for. I really don't think the average consumer is going to even want TVs this bright. It's going to cause a lot of eye strain.

I get that it will result in much more HDR specular highlight pop and increased color volume, but I just can't imagine needing 2000+ nits of brightness in normal viewing.

It's not the average consumer, it's the high-end consumer, and has a lot of appeal for those that live in big houses with oversized floor to ceiling windows who want their tv to look as good as possible during the day.

I was a bit nervous about CES this year but I dont really feel like i'm missing out. I just bought a 2021 qn90A. Feel like Tv's took a big leap forward a few years back but they've been a little stagnant with minor incremental improvements doubling the price.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's not the average consumer, it's the high-end consumer, and has a lot of appeal for those that live in big houses with oversized floor to ceiling windows who want their tv to look as good as possible during the day.

Yep, I get that there's a market for this. Just not for me.

I also just think there's also a lot of enthusiasts out there that watch in a pitch black room like me that are still screaming for more brightness, and I can't help but ask "why?". But to each their own!

Big difference even in dark rooms.u just don't know until u see it

My OLED is often too bright in a pitch black room as-is. I don't want it to be brighter.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

My OLED is often too bright in a pitch black room as-is. I don't want it to be brighter.

That's SDR though, you need to control the backlight in a dark room for that or it will be too bright like you said, with HDR you can't control the "backlight" (I know OLED don't have a backlight, I mean "OLED Light" or whatever each brand calls it) and the peak brightness of the panel reflects how accurately highlights are displayed and the overall depth of the image.

When you watch HDR do you turn down the backlight/OLED Brightness/whatever your brand calls it?

Kuranghi

As usual it's probably a load of shite figures from Samsung, they said the QN95B was 2000 nits and it can't reach more than 1400 in real content. I believe this new QD-OLED will more likely be 1200 or less in real content.

I don't care about test pattern figures when Samsung is involved, they ruined it by being dishonest for so long now. Wait for proper reviews where they know what they're doing to measure the brightness for real use.

The thing is, this high brightness figure for hdr, most likely is for a 2% window. The question is, what's the sustained brightness on a 100% window? Peak Brightness on 2% window is less relevant, as it's not going to make a difference that obvious. What matters is what the sustained brightness on a 10% window and above is.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Between this and LG, sounds like brightness is the big selling point with these new displays this year.

As someone who watches TV/plays games in a pitch black room 99% of the time...

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots
Yeah but this is good for all those older OLEDs and those of us that don’t have one….

Kuranghi

The thing is, this high brightness figure for hdr, most likely is for a 2% window. The question is, what's the sustained brightness on a 100% window? Peak Brightness on 2% window is less relevant, as it's not going to make a difference that obvious. What matters is what the sustained brightness on a 10% window and above is.

Its doubly irrelevant because Samson talk out of their arses regarding brightness measurements, 100% window brightness won't be over 700 400 nits, more likely 600 300 max. Their test pattern cheating algorithms may imply it can do 2000 nits (on a 10% window, not sustained), but that will not be reflected in real content, based on what LG is saying for the G3 it will probably match that, ie 1200 nits max for the S95B successor.

G2 and S95B 10% windows were all ~1000 nits, its extremely unlikely that any YoY brightness increase for OLED (QD or LG OLED) will be like the old FALD LCD days of 2016-2018 without a major breakthrough.

edit - I extend my usual offer of explaining what increasing peak brightness means for more accurate HDR reproduction via DM if anyone is interested. It has nothing to do with making everything brighter or blinding you or whatever. SDR is different, if you have a reasonably bright TV (Samsung Q80+, Sony X90+, LG QNED81+, Hisense U7H+) or an OLED you shouldn't have your backlight anywhere near max in a lit room, let alone a dark one. That has nothing to do with why you'd want more brightness out of the panel for better HDR though.

I use explaining this as practice for my job so its no hassle whatsoever and theres no stupid questions at all, I'll answer anything thats within my knowledge and if I don't know I'll just say or refer you elsewhere.

Last edited:

TonyK

All those AI enhancements must be disabled to minimize input lag, so irrelevant for gamers.

Real image quality and brightness peak without post processing?

Its doubly irrelevant because Samson talk out of their arses regarding brightness measurements, 100% window brightness won't be over 700 nits, more likely 600 max. Their test pattern cheating algorithms may imply it can do 2000 nits (on a 10% window, not sustained), but that will not be reflected in real content, based on what LG is saying for the G3 it will probably match that, ie 1200 nits max for the S95B successor.

G2 and S95B 10% windows were all ~1000 nits, its extremely unlikely that any YoY brightness increase for OLED (QD or LG OLED) will be like the old FALD LCD days of 2016-2018 without a major breakthrough.
Even that is in doubt. 600-700 on 100% windows is lcd territory. Lg's 2022 Woled tvs had 110ish on 100% windows, while the S95B qd-oled was 220ish. So 100% window brightness in the range of 400-500 seems attainable, maybe even slightly less than 400 nits. 2000 nits on 2% window is most likely the figure given. 10% windows might potentially be in the 1450-1500 range or potentially less. But the thing is, Samsung's claims of the S95B's coverage of the rec.2020 color gamut being upwards of 90% were true, so was the 1000 nits on a 10% window as tested extensively by Rtings, so they were honest there. But the 2000 nits of brightness thanks to the improved EL(Electro-Luminescent) material is most probably only for 2% windows.

Kuranghi

Even that is in doubt. 600-700 on 100% windows is lcd territory. Lg's 2022 Woled tvs had 110ish on 100% windows, while the S95B qd-oled was 220ish. So 100% window brightness in the range of 400-500 seems attainable, maybe even slightly less than 400 nits. 2000 nits on 2% window is most likely the figure given. 10% windows might potentially be in the 1450-1500 range or potentially less. But the thing is, Samsung's claims of the S95B's coverage of the rec.2020 color gamut being upwards of 90% were true, so was the 1000 nits on a 10% window as tested extensively by Rtings, so they were honest there. But the 2000 nits of brightness thanks to the improved EL(Electro-Luminescent) material is most probably only for 2% windows.

Apologies I had a brain failure, I was looking at LCD stuff at the same time and replying elsewhere, yeah 600 @ 100% isn't realistic for any OLED. I don't even think 400, 300 nits max probably. I was mixing up lots of different things, like how they talked about QN95B peak brightness last year. We'll see in the coming months what the deal is anyway, cheers for being civil.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Best oled around 38/9 a 42 inches? Prefere frame rate options VRR HDR. Hdmi 6.9 etc

Ps5 & series s

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
That's SDR though, you need to control the backlight in a dark room for that or it will be too bright like you said, with HDR you can't control the "backlight" (I know OLED don't have a backlight, I mean "OLED Light" or whatever each brand calls it) and the peak brightness of the panel reflects how accurately highlights are displayed and the overall depth of the image.

When you watch HDR do you turn down the backlight/OLED Brightness/whatever your brand calls it?

You'll still reach peak nit level of whatever your display is when watching HDR content, it's just reserved for specular highlights.

All modern HDR TVs tone map down to whatever the max nit output of the display is.

I don't want the sun to actually look like the sun when I'm watching a movie. I don't want or need a 10,000 or 5,000 or 3,000 nit display. HDR is plenty impactful on a 800 nit OLED when you're in a dark room.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
The 1000-1500 nits on my 65 inch S95b QD-OLED already feels like my eyes are on fire when watching on a dark room, 2000 sounds horribly overkill for me but im all in for a 77 inch panel down the line.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
"People don't need 4k screens, you can render in 4k and just downsample to 1080p!"

That's what you're saying if applied to resolution instead of HDR mastering levels.

Except a sharper, clearer image doesn't cause eyestrain and make you want to look away from the screen.

I mean, you're talking about wanting to reach "HDR mastering levels"... HDR is typically mastered at 4,000 nits or 10,000 nits. Who in the fuck would want 10,000 nit specular highlights while watching in their pitch black living room? It'd be like someone's car headlights 10 feet from your face pointing right at you.

Last edited:

YCoCg

HDR is plenty impactful on a 800 nit OLED when you're in a dark room.
It REALLY is not, trust me, I've seen mastering displays at 2,000+ nits and demo displays at 2,500+ nits, it really does help spread out the bright and dark range in a much more natural way, yes things like the sun, etc, will be much brighter than you're used to but pretty much everything else gets a broader dynamic range to work to help separate how "compressed" it looks on a lower nit display.

Apologies I had a brain failure, I was looking at LCD stuff at the same time and replying elsewhere, yeah 600 @ 100% isn't realistic for any OLED. I don't even think 400, 300 nits max probably. I was mixing up lots of different things, like how they talked about QN95B peak brightness last year. We'll see in the coming months what the deal is anyway, cheers for being civil.
Hey, no need to apologise. Thanks for chiming in and adding your own insights to keep the conversation going. Cheers:)

Kuranghi

You'll still reach peak nit level of whatever your display is when watching HDR content, it's just reserved for specular highlights.

All modern HDR TVs tone map down to whatever the max nit output of the display is.

I don't want the sun to actually look like the sun when I'm watching a movie. I don't want or need a 10,000 or 5,000 or 3,000 nit display. HDR is plenty impactful on a 800 nit OLED when you're in a dark room.

The bolded is fair enough, thats your preference. I don't want the sun to be 3, 5 or 10k nits either, but 800 isn't enough to make it seem much brighter than other elements imo, I'd like it to be up to 2000 nits, my TV does 1500 nits on a sun sized highlight in HDR right now and its very very bright and impactful, its not too bright as long as you don't stare at it for 30 seconds straight, but why would you be doing that.

I'm aware of how tonemapping works and turning down the OLED light/backlight in HDR is affecting the overall image, not just specular highlights. Y YCoCg has already said it better than I was going to so just refer to them.

rofif

Banned
These new 2000 nits oled will have burn in like crazy.
White pixel is used in oleds because it got the longest life and can be used to pump up brightness.
But pumping our all colors? I don't know how that will work.

And the other thing is... Not sure how I feel with 2000nits sun in my face.
I play oled as god intended, with shades and in the middle of the fucking night and 800 nits peak on c1 blows away my eyeballs.

This nits race is stupid. It wastes energy.
I realize, a flower outside has 2000-5000 nits... but I am outside. My eyes are accommodated to being outside... when you are inside, with lower exposure level, seeing that bright window outside HURTS

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The bolded is fair enough, thats your preference. I don't want the sun to be 3, 5 or 10k nits either, but 800 isn't enough to make it seem much brighter than other elements imo, I'd like it to be up to 2000 nits, my TV does 1500 nits on a sun sized highlight in HDR right now and its very very bright and impactful, its not too bright as long as you don't stare at it for 30 seconds straight, but why would you be doing that.

I'm aware of how tonemapping works and turning down the OLED light/backlight in HDR is affecting the overall image, not just specular highlights. Y YCoCg has already said it better than I was going to so just refer to them.

I don't turn down OLED brightness in HDR mode, just SDR.

And yeah I'd agree that 2,000 nits is probably as far as I'd be comfortable with as far as nit output goes.

I don't mean to imply that there won't be a benefit with higher nit output. I'm sure these new displays will be really nice and will of course not only increase specular highlight impact but also increase APL and color volume. I just don't know that I personally care about it considering I only watch in dark rooms. Maybe some day.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

The S95B sustains 1025 cd/m² at a 10% window and it's sold as a 1000-nit TV. There's no way they've increased that by 100%.

Hoping I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

After calibration it's 1300 nits on a 10% window.
I was just about to post this. As i expected, a 30% ish jump. Its also brighter than the mini-led TV he used (whatever that was). Pretty darn good.

Im almost convinced QD-OLED's are the way to go - let's see what the G3 can do first though :)

Last edited:

Arioco

The S95B peaked at 1400-1500 nits when it launched. It wasn't very accurate though. Then Samsung fixed the accuracy but nerfed the brightness in all modes except for Dynamic Mode, which could still hit those 1400-1500 nits. Now a professional calibrator who runs a Spanish website (AVPasion) has found out how to easily get back those 1500 nits in all modes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HePxmki2Iec?feature=share

Last edited:
I was just about to post this. As i expected, a 30% ish jump. Its also brighter than the mini-led TV he used (whatever that was). Pretty darn good.

Im almost convinced QD-OLED's are the way to go - let's see what the G3 can do first though :)
With 100% used as a baseline, it's pretty much confirmed in the video that the 130% (or +30%) figure given by Samsung is indeed true based on Vince's testing. Pretty encouraging results so far and with it being a pre-production unit, a lot of the issues are expected to be ironed out come release.

Top Bottom