• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung working on Game Streaming Service "PlayGalaxy Link", a new thing in the industry that no other (40) companies are doing alrea-

https://www.techgenyz.com/2019/04/29/samsung-playgalaxy-link-game-service/
Samsung PlayGalaxy Link
Earlier this week, Samsung filed a trademark in America with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) for the name PlayGalaxy link. The trademark was published on 26 April in the trademark database of the EUIPO (European Union Intellectual Property Office).

The trademark is categorized as Class 9 and 41 and has an extensive description; smartphones; downloadable game software, service for online game tournaments, service for playing online Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality games, service accessible for mobile devices.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Samsung had found a partner in the Finnish company Hatch, a subsidiary of Rovio Entertainment (makers of Angry Birds). Together they have launched a new 5G cloud gaming service in Korea. Consumers who buy the Galaxy S10 5G there receive a free three-month Hatch Premium as a gift.

Whether the name PlayGalaxy Link refers to this new service is still unknown. The trademark for PlayGalaxy Link is not applied for in Korea but in America.

Gaming Services? Never before has this ever been announced by like 400 other companies, this unique thing will surely generate many riches for Samsung...In Bankruptcy court.

So, Samsung is gearing up to provide it's own gaming service with streaming, game downloads, VR and more. Coming to an America and Europe near you!

Excuse me I mean a "5G" Gaming service. Does Samsung even have datacenters for this to work? Well I guess they are partnering with other companies so I guess they'll just us theirs. Of course there's like 15 other companies doing the same thing and another 15 companies making their own so it's not like this is some unique thing.

Might as well call up Blackberry and Nokia so they can join in as well, maybe fellow Korean Phone maker LG might wants to join in since they are already there? Maybe someone can revive the Pantech Brand and make it the name of a gaming service!??!

Let's all go pitch in so that Neogaf can make a gaming Service before Resetera beats us to the punch. IGN already announced this morning, they are partnering with Honey Nut Cheerios! I think we need Charmin Toilet paper involved as well! GAME SERViCE FO EVERVWEEEE ONEZZ!!! And you get a gaming service, and she gets a gaming service, and he gets a gaming service, and-

Bryank75

Banned
Exactly why game-streaming will fail, too much fragmentation of the market. PlayStation will be where 99% of games are available , while these streaming options will have the annual offerings from Ubi, Acti and EA... bog standard games that don't feel good when streamed. One or two services might moneyhat a game if they're really serious but they won't gain traction on one game.
Gamers are not easily bought...

nkarafo

Not surprising how everyone wants to be a part of this. Having full control of your customers and the products they "buy" must be the dream of every company.

juliotendo

I think of all companies Samsung might have potential considering they are a market leader in consumer electronics and have tremendous brand recognition.

I’d like to see Samsung toss their hat in the gaming space. Korea has a lot of game development mainly for PC and mobile, and with the right approach it could be interesting.

But most people when they think video games think either Nintendo, PlayStation, or Xbox. I don’t think there’s room for a fourth.

Last edited:

Mojoraisin

Considering their market leadership in smart tvs and Android phones/tablets, they have a stronger case to get this to fly than the majority of their competitors.

Samsung has pretty much always sucked at software/apps though so they might have to partner with Kellogg's Frosties to make this fly.

juliotendo

Considering their market leadership in smart tvs and Android phones/tablets, they have a stronger case to get this to fly than the majority of their competitors.

Samsung has pretty much always sucked at software/apps though so they might have to partner with Kellogg's Frosties to make this fly.

Yes. Samsung software is atrocious although has been cleaned up lately with their latest products.

Kagey K

Banned
I think Project xCloud has the best chance out of all of them because it will be on iPads. Just imagine having an XBox controller with iPad on a trip, playing anything from Game Pass.
I agree it’s like Sesame Street with these guys. Xcloud seems to be a best of both worlds solution, especially if it’s free and I suspect it will be.

“One of these things is not like the others.”

Rayderism

Bleh....clouds dry up and blow away. No thanks. I do not, have not and will not ever bother streamed games. At least not as long as I can play a game on local hardware. The closest I've come to playing a streamed game is remote play on a Vita.....I didn't care for it. Mostly it was because a lack of proper buttons, but also the response lag that I don't see them being able to ever truly overcome any time soon.

I agree it’s like Sesame Street with these guys. Xcloud seems to be a best of both worlds solution, especially if it’s free and I suspect it will be.

“One of these things is not like the others.”

No way it will be free. I predict it's a stand-alone service $14.99/month across all devices. I'll be shocked if they just throw it in for existing Game Pass subscribers. MS needs to gin up that Services revenue, like their Bros over at Apple are doing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This just makes me not wanna do game streaming at all anymore. Just forget it, companies are wayyyy too thirsty for this shit.

Calm the fuck down.

Last edited:
This just makes me not wanna do game streaming at all anymore. Just forget it, companies are wayyyy too thirsty for this shit.

Calm the fuck down.

stay-thirsty-my-friend-memes-com-14927216.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Something to keep an eye on, I think Phone companies should take gaming seriously because streaming has potential.

Calm the fuck down.

It reminds me of the race for 5G. Completely pointless and tons of false propaganda to the consumer to trick them into thinking they are receiving something 10X better.

ph33rknot

Banned
Exactly why game-streaming will fail, too much fragmentation of the market. PlayStation will be where 99% of games are available , while these streaming options will have the annual offerings from Ubi, Acti and EA... bog standard games that don't feel good when streamed. One or two services might moneyhat a game if they're really serious but they won't gain traction on one game.
Sony behind in the cloud game

Im glad we can trust in you to know our gaming future.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey i have a samsung smartphone.
I avoid all samsung apps like the plague.

Cause they are

shit

Varteras

Gold Member
Well, this will totally succeed. They were smart and left out those lethal Blu-Ray players.

Am I doing this right?

12Dannu123

They are?

Majority of the media, investors and analyst seems to think so. PS Now is pretty much ignored, majority of people seem to agree that in order to compete in a global scale you need data centres around the globe, software tools, and a cloud platform and TONES of R&D.

Buying Gaikai isn't a strong enough reason to think Sony is ahead.

Streaming is the new candy crush. :messenger_neutral:

Tip for companies not in the console space: Partner up with a console maker and create Remote play ala Vita+PS4. Let me stream from my home console using 5g or wifi. I don't want to stream from a data centre.

Thnx

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
This is samsung we are talking about, and any lag that usually comes to game streaming gets magnified tenfold with samsung's touch.

Last edited:

lynux3

Majority of the media, investors and analyst seems to think so. PS Now is pretty much ignored, majority of people seem to agree that in order to compete in a global scale you need data centres around the globe, software tools, and a cloud platform and TONES of R&D.

PS Now is deployed globally in leased data center space. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you suggesting that PS Now isn't deployed globally, doesn't have software tooling, isn't cloud based and doesn't have any R&D investments?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
id say so they bought a streaming service

And Microsoft also need to hire people with cloud experience or they acquire small companies that already have some Cloud tech in house. Microsoft can't make Azure without the right people with knowledge. Even Nitendo or Sony can start a all Cloud based division for external costumers. Heck Sony already has it for some other divisions....

lynux3

And Microsoft also need to hire people with cloud experience or they acquire small companies that already have some Cloud tech in house. Microsoft can't make Azure without the right people with knowledge. Even Nitendo or Sony can start a all Cloud based division for external costumers. Heck Sony already has it for some other divisions....
These people think you have to build, own and manage a data center to utilize a data center. I bet these people think the cloud is literally a cloud.

ph33rknot

Banned
Microsoft has been working on the cloud for years same with Google Samsung remember it was the secret sauce

TimFL

Now brings in more cash than Game Pass or all the other gaming subscriptions (EA Access etc.)?

Top Bottom