• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Francisco May Let Bicyclists Yield at Stop Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The amount of terrifying hatred that drivers express about cyclists in these threads always makes me gasp.

There isn't a SINGLE driver in this thread who doesn't suffer more terrifying and exponentially more dangerous bullshit from other CARS every single fucking day.

Anecdotes about how every single crosswalk is full of Fixie riding bike messengers flipping them off do NOTHING to change the fact that today, as you drove, a good third of the other car drivers you encountered were absolute fuckwits, texting, not paying attention, not signaling and refusing to let you merge. And they were driving about a ton of unforgiving steel and gasoline.

Bad cyclists are a menace, but statistically they are a harmless irritant.

Put this shit in perspective.

Zoe

they're not supposed to be doing that to begin with. bikes are supposed to take the full lane
It's allowed here as long as there's a three foot clearance. It's particularly common in neighborhoods without defined lanes which is where you would find the highest concentration of stop signs.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm saying we should all be into changing bike laws and infrastructure because it's sensical, not because we're waiting for a hypothetical day when bike riders somehow earn so much respect that drivers give them anything.

It's a commentary on the way anti-bike people discuss urban planning like they're the road's gatekeepers, not a suggestion that loosening restrictions should continue perpetually or something.

I think this particular rule change should stand or fall on its merits, not on whether motorists say mean things a out cyclists. As a virtually exclusive pedestrian, I don't like either of you much, though I've had many more near misses with cyclists.

Gallbaro

Banned
So car drivers should be able to treat stop signs as yield signs too right?

That won't end in complete disaster.

They already do.

Cyclists just get ticketed for it more often.

When do drivers actually not roll through a stop sign, unless they have to yield.

Apath

They already do.

When do drivers actually not roll through a stop sign, unless they have to yield.
I don't think I've ever seen a cop stop a biker in my entire life. Does anyone know if there are some statistics on this?

Zoe

They already do.

I come to a complete stop, even when there's no one in sight. It's too easy for someone to come out of nowhere, and I don't trust turn signals.

HTupolev

There hasn't been a huge amount of study on the matter, but what has been done suggests that areas with the cyclist yield might actually be safer. There's something to be said for laying out reasonable rules when basically nobody takes the strict policies seriously anyway.

As far as why stopping policy should be more lenient toward bikes? Potential reasons would be significantly better peripheral vision (and often hearing), the user being many orders of magnitude less likely to seriously hurt others even if a mistake is made, and a bigger difference to traffic impedance.

welcome to world of biking.

all she got was a moving violation. This could have been manslaughter and reckless driving. If you cant see you shouldnt be driving.

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2015/10/...clist-in-logan-square-blames-sun-in-his-eyes/

Also when a 2000 lb death machine gets into your personal space, AND you get pissed when they tell you to fuck off. The driver should lose their license. Instead the cop driver arrests the person he just threatened with a deadly weapon.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...fficers-suv-bike-lane-dispute-gets-handcuffed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom