• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia wealth fund raises Nintendo stake to 6%

Tams

Gold Member
Their unprovoked war in Yemen which has resulted in the loss of life of millions.
Their continued treatment of women as property.
The execution of gay people.

but no... JK Rowling is the most important issue. I hope Hogwarts Legacy sells 50 million copies just to knock these egomaniacs down a few pegs.

Saudi Arabia are a scummy country that have done and do some utterly horrible things, but do remember that Yemen is in a civil war and the Saudis are on the side of the democratically elected Yemeni government.

I'll leave it at that, as I fear that's going too off topic.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Just despicable. With every % Saudi Arabia buys in Nintendo, Nintendo loses the same amount of the gaming public's respect.

Unfeathered capitalism doesn’t care about blood money. Honestly what can you do as a consumer? It does suck.
ET-Budgie0.jpg

think you mean "unfettered".

I'm no expert, when I owned Nintendo stocks it was via non traditional method (ADR's).

% listed doesn't necessarily tell the whole picture, they could have all of it listed but still own most of the stocks so they would be at zero chance of a takeover. In fact they embarked on quite a heavy buy back a while back I think.

I don't know how it works in Japan but in many countries you can keep buying until you hit a certain limit, at which point you need to propose a buy out / takeover. Again I'm no expert in this field.

At the point of attempting a buy out you'd be subject to whatever sort of laws they have in place in Japan. Generally in Japan the government are going to make it hard for foreign entities - much less foreign governments - to take over.

Anyway there's no real threat here. The Saudi's are dirty fucks that want to make money. Contrast that with the Chinese, who are dirty fucks that also want to make money, but are really here to gain leverage in other ways that are actually worth worrying about.

The amount of blantant racism in this post is quite insane. You could of just said the X or Y are greedy without adding any extra words to the nationalities/nation.

belmarduk

Saudi Arabia are a scummy country that have done and do some utterly horrible things, but do remember that Yemen is in a civil war and the Saudis are on the side of the democratically elected Yemeni government.

I'll leave it at that, as I fear that's going too off topic.

Elections are usually better when there is more than one candidate.

You’re right that we should stop talking about this, though.

They can easily use solar power. What with the amount of sun and open land it's an easy option
You would think so but they’ve been pretty slow with solar adoption despite being the sunniest place on earth. Plus you can’t export solar energy like you can barrels of crude.

jigglet

Banned
The amount of blantant racism in this post is quite insane. You could of just said the X or Y are greedy without adding any extra words to the nationalities/nation.

lol except that I'm actually Chinese.

I'm clearly referring to the governments, not the people.

And if you interpreted that as me referring to the people, I'd say that's more of a reflection of yourself than me.

And guess what - not all Asian people are from China and support the Chinese government. To assume so would be raci....never seen an Asian person outside of China before?

This is how China (the GOVERNMENT) gets away with so much shit. They do something bad, people call it out, they play the racism card, and people like you who don't even know what racism is back down and self-censor.

Last edited:
lol except that I'm actually Chinese.

I'm clearly referring to the governments, not the people.

And if you interpreted that as me referring to the people, I'd say that's more of a reflection of yourself than me.

And guess what - not all Asian people are from China and support the Chinese government. To assume so would be raci....never seen an Asian person outside of China before?

This is how China (the GOVERNMENT) gets away with so much shit. They do something bad, people call it out, they play the racism card, and people like you who don't even know what racism is back down and self-censor.

Not really my guy. It can easily be interpreted that you are talking about the people. If you are speaking specifically about the government then you have to state so. You have to remeber your on public interent soace and everyone interpets things differently. Don't even try to get out of it now that you got called out on your stupid racist wording.

You saying you are Chinese is as good of an excuse as someone who said the N word and then they tell you they have black friends. Not a good look.

I an Russian and if someone said fucking Russians it would he a bad look for them too. Not every Russian is bad. Now if they said the fucking Russian government then that's fine.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Not really my guy. It can easily be interpreted that you are talking about the people. If you are speaking specifically about the government then you have to state so. You have to remeber your on public interent soace and everyone interpets things differently. Don't even try to get out of it now that you got called out on your stupid racist wording.

You saying you are Chinese is as good of an excuse as someone who said the N word and then they tell you they have black friends. Not a good look.

I an Russian and if someone said fucking Russians it would he a bad look for them too. Not every Russian is bad. Now if they said the fucking Russian government then that's fine.

We're in a thread talking about the Saudi sovereign fund. Of course this is all about the government. The context has been set by the OP.

Last edited:

tusharngf

Their unprovoked war in Yemen which has resulted in the loss of life of millions.
Their continued treatment of women as property.
The execution of gay people.

but no... JK Rowling is the most important issue. I hope Hogwarts Legacy sells 50 million copies just to knock these egomaniacs down a few pegs.
MBS is a scumbag no doubt. Its bloodmoney and they are investing in nintendo. Its a shame that nintendo is taking money from a bloody regime.

First WWE buyout rumors? Now interest in Nintendo? I have my doubts they’ll buy Nintendo, but if they are actually interested in a professional wrestling company, I guess a major video game company wouldn’t be that far fetched.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
MBS is a scumbag no doubt. Its bloodmoney and they are investing in nintendo. Its a shame that nintendo is taking money from a bloody regime.

As a publicly traded company, they have no say in the matter unless they unlist themselves and buy back all their shares, and while they have a lot of money at hand, it would eat up all of it (if they even could afford to). It would also be a terrible business move.

Only governments can prevent share purchases like this, and that's after regulators get involved and likely court action.

This isn't Nintendo taking angel investor money like a start-up.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If Nintendo only has a valuation of 50 billion, why didn't ms buy them instead of Activision?

BootsLoader

Banned
by what statistic?

is it really that big? not according to this nintendo isnt that big

from Fortune's Global 500 list

Here is the list of the biggest companies of Japan in 2022:

RankCompanyFortune Global 500 RankRevenue ($M)Headquarters
1Toyota Motor13279338Toyota City
2Mitsubishi41153690Tokyo
3Honda Motor61129547Tokyo
4Itochu78109434Osaka
5Nippon Telegraph & Telephone83108216Tokyo
6Mitsui88104665Tokyo
7Japan Post Holdings94100278Tokyo
8Hitachi11391375Tokyo
9Sony11688321Tokyo
10ENEOS Holdings14080133Tokyo
11Seven & I Holdings14778458Tokyo
12AEON14878155Chiba
13Marubeni15775743Tokyo
14Nissan Motor16174995Yokohama
15Nippon Life Insurance16474392Osaka
16Dai-ichi Life Holdings16773082Tokyo
17Toyota Tsusho17271465Nagoya
18Panasonic19365774Osaka
19Nippon Steel Corporation21460612Tokyo
20SoftBank Group23455384Tokyo
21Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group24054087Tokyo
22Idemitsu Kosan25052336Tokyo
23Tokio Marine Holdings25352199Tokyo
24Denso27849099Kariya
25Sumitomo27948916Tokyo
26KDDI28148486Tokyo
27Tokyo Electric Power29047269Tokyo
28MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings30945685Tokyo
29Mitsubishi Electric35139852Tokyo
30Daiwa House Industry35439520Osaka
31JFE Holdings35838858Tokyo
32Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance37737516Tokyo
33Sompo Holdings38337099Tokyo
34Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group38836597Tokyo
35Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings40135403Tokyo
36Mizuho Financial Group40435279Tokyo
37Aisin40934873Kariya
38Mitsubishi Heavy Industries41834364Tokyo
39Sumitomo Life Insurance44232042Osaka
40Canon44432005Tokyo
41Fujitsu44631930Tokyo
42Takeda Pharmaceutical44831771Tokyo
43Suzuki Motor44931765Hamamatsu
44Sumitomo Electric Industries47629980Osaka
45Toshiba48029705Tokyo
46Bridgestone48429570Tokyo
47Medipal Holdings48929296Tokyo
Where Nintendo?

Tams

Gold Member
If Nintendo only has a valuation of 50 billion, why didn't ms buy them instead of Activision?
Because the Japanese government wouldn't allow it unless Nintendo were on the verge of bankruptcy and no other hope was in sight (like what happened to Sharp). And even then, they'd push for another Japanese company to step in.

The other shareholders would also need to agree to it, many of whom are Japanese and not be a fan of that at all.

Not to mention that would absolutely set off pretty much every regulator in the world.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Because the Japanese government wouldn't allow it unless Nintendo were on the verge of bankruptcy and no other hope was in sight (like what happened to Sharp). And even then, they'd push for another Japanese company to step in.

The other shareholders would also need to agree to it, many of whom are Japanese and not be a fan of that at all.

Not to mention that would absolutely set off pretty much every regulator in the world.
They should have secretly bought 5 other Japanese companies and secretly bought stock for years.......lol

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
They should have secretly bought 5 other Japanese companies and secretly bought stock for years.......lol
Your joke doesn't work because:

a) governments keep track of that sort of thing as it is a national security risk
b) governments can retroactively cancel any such purchases, either demanding the deals be reversed, or if they think it worth the fallout, simply just remove ownership rights

Last edited:

Sentenza

What is saudi government interest on this matter?
Shockingly enough, making money.

Do you think a certain crowd will start boycotting every single Nintendo game from now on?

Of course not, because fuck coherence and consistency.

Last edited:

Amiga

A possible reason for this is re-investing money gained from Japanese purchase of oil instead of just taking currency out of Japan and stocking them. Nintendo is probably the safest long term Japanese gaming asset, and could result in new opportunities presenting themselves.

Sentenza

Hypocrisy is everywhere.
I was mostly being facetious.
You don't even need to involve Saudi Arabia to highlight the hypocrisy of the current scenario.

Chances are even before Arabs got in the picture, most of these Nintendo darlings that the internet loves and cherish were made under the direction of some old conservative Japanese dude that thinks every single transexual is a freak and an affront to Nature itself.
But no, let's evoke mass boycotts at expenses of fucking JK Rowling for failing a purity test.

Last edited:
Reserving judgement until I know how much MBS likes the Gamecube.

Shockingly enough, making money.

Do you think a certain crowd will start boycotting every single Nintendo game from now on?

Of course not, because fuck coherence and consistency.
Easy enough to shit on a single game for Twitter karma and applaud the destruction of its fans. But going after whole collections of Fire Emblem plushies and Nintendo ROMs they've already paid five times for? Now that's taking slacktivism a bit too far, clearly. Ignoring the fact that this supposed Harry Potter "genocide" has yet to be proven, while it's very much in the open that the Saudi government literally kills people they don't like.

Last edited:
while it's very much in the open that the Saudi government literally kills people they don't like.

And you could argue by any objective measure that they are magnitudes more oppressive and harmful toward LGBT people, which is the (ostensible) reason why the boycotters were trying/failing to go after HL. Right? :messenger_smirking:

Top Bottom