• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman has now acquired almost all of SNK (VGC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MBS and SNK is an odd combination I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Is Blue Mary gonna wear a veil now ?

Hardensoul

You can't buy (more than 1% of) protected Japanese companies, which includes Toyota, Sony, Mitsubishi, Hitachi.
There are several protected tiers! Those are Tier 1.
Nintendo falls in Tier 2 - which is due to the cultural influence. Which still makes it tougher to buy but not impossible!

Last edited:

TagZ

Was funny seeing Harada (Tekken) laughing at the latest Fighting Game dev Roundtable, when he made a comment to Oda (SNK) about all the extra money they got.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Hopefully there is no woke purge or banning of all things Saudia Arabia in the future. If so bye bye SNK. Sanctions are ok if necessary but SNK would probably suffer that way too because basically the government/regime is profiting off of them. It does seem like an odd choice for SNK to go with them. SNK has been bought and sold so many times that I am surprised they are able to still make new games today.

Last edited:
Is Blue Mary gonna wear a veil now ?
LMAO that would be quite something.

I was a huge SNK fan back in the day, and Blue Mary has had "boob physics" since her very first appearance (Fatal Fury 3; it's the sprite on the right, in the gif below)

dbbqvb1-e7e24076-49dc-4ad2-9070-2b8a68b500ec.gif

Last edited:
The King of Fighters must have been big in Saudia Arabia. SNK on the whole have always made good games, though they've never been a powerhouse like Capcom.

Varteras

Gold Member
SNK is a very small company. They have over 170 people. They generated $25 million in revenue in 2017. Their net income in 2015 wasn't even $930,000. That's why no one cares that they were bought by a foreigner. It becomes a whole different ballgame when you start climbing the ladder. The article that was written about a Japanese analyst speaking on the difficulties of a foreign company buying a Japanese company was referencing major companies. Publishers. Like Sega Sammy and Bandai Namco. Not companies like SNK or Platinum Games. Those are totally up for grabs with no real issues.

Rat Rage

Pretty bad news for SNK. Such a shame...
Mohammed bin Salman is straight up a murderer! He's a filthy rich spoiled fuck, who was born with a golden, oiled up spoon in his ass, who grew up watching too many mafia movies.
If people in Saudi Arabia would take Islam seriously, they would hang him in the streets for everybody to see.

One day he's hopefully going to get what he deserves - Insha-allah!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Uum...

RIP SNK?
A Muslim fundamentalist buying SNK is so weird... Has he seen their games?
Just a little insight to MBS,

Kerotan

SNK seems like an odd choice; maybe he was a fan as a kid? I wonder if he will invest heavily to make their franchises compete with Capcom and Arc System Works. A new Fatal Fury with those kinds of production values would certainly be welcomed.
Of course he was. As these younger oil rich billionaires grow up we're going to see more and more of this.

If I was worth 50 billion 10 years ago I would have bought the Metal gear, spyro and crash bandicoot IP and paid Sony to make them.

V4skunk

Banned
I can't decide if this is better or worse than Tencent.
Way better because the Saudis are moving away from oil and diversifying into other areas to make money. The Saudis are also filthy rich and can throw vast amounts of money at a "problem" to brute force it.

There's one particular aspect about SNK that I think I might be the only person in the world that cares about it 😂

In the 90s, SNK used to release arranged soundtracks for all of their major games; these soundtracks were (in my opinion) universally awesome. I own some myself (KoF 95-97; Fatal Fury 3; Samurai Showdown 3; etc) but some of them are rare and very pricey to get.

SNK, re-release those arranged soundtracks, please. I'll even settle for them to be put on a streaming service like Spotify.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Sooo....
Do I need to pirate all snk games and be done with the company or continue to wait because this is just a double bacon nothing burger?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, I wish someone else owned the company but as long as they keep making good games I’ll keep buying them.

Last edited:

Amiga

SNK seems like an odd choice; maybe he was a fan as a kid? I wonder if he will invest heavily to make their franchises compete with Capcom and Arc System Works. A new Fatal Fury with those kinds of production values would certainly be welcomed.

It's business. There are professional investors in the different Saudi growth funds making the purchase calls. Looking for under utilized value that could change with large funding. SNK is classic publisher available for a low price. They have a couple of ESport franchises that match with the Savvy gaming company Saudi established.

For more on Saudi gaming investments..

"Saudi Arabia’s domestic gaming market is growing fast and reached $1 billion in 2021, according to researchers at Niko Partners"

Amiga

If people in Saudi Arabia would take Islam seriously, they would hang him in the streets for everybody to see.

Alhamdulillah we do take it seriously. If you did you would know Islam is not a mob religion. You should turn away from whoever gave you these ideas, they corrupt your heart and mind.

And stop watching ALL fake news. Ascertain and don't get manipulated.

I dont give a fuck who is the owner of SNK and people shpuld not give a fuck either (and to him im a dirty zionist) SNK make awesome games, and give work to hundred of people, who pour their souls with every game they make, and treat their fans amazing, and even the suits of SNK dont know this guy in person, he is not even a board member, just a guy who buy alot of stocks, and thats it

boycotting SNK mean boycotting japan, and boycotting 1 of the companys who dont fall in that Microtransaction bullshit and GAAS scam, boycotting 1 of the most histotic japanese companys ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom