• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers Struggle To Sell Their Cards (RTX 4080), Newegg Halts Refunds

jm89

There are some really dumb scalpers that where trying to sell ps5s on ebay in the uk when there was decent stock. A couple of them where blatantly shill bidding to inflate the auction price and after it had "sold" they would put the same listing up again. Dumbasses where struggling to sell it, the clever scalpers have moved on.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I am all for scalpers getting fucked. New pair of shoes dropped today and some fucker posted a picture of him and his stupid bot got like every pair. Not one person actually got any other than him.

However, i dont know how they go about halting refunds for real buyers.

What shoes dropped today? I'm gutted I didn't get a W on my Lost and Founds. Gonna have to resale those badboys unfortunately.

Hoppa

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did Newegg state a new refund policy (only applies to people who bought it after the change)? Or they retroactively changed it on people after they bought it?

Last edited:

ahtlas7

The xx80 was my goto version but Nvidia really fucked it up this year. Even the ass-hat wearing scalpers are getting burned. Nice job Mr. Nvidia.

edit:
Take a look at their stock prices and realize they have had +25% growth in the last month! Damn! Sorry, gamers we r fukd
OsSLteF.jpg

Last edited:

Admerer

Scalpers are also competing with other scalpers, so when a "hot" item is released it's a rush to scoop up as much inventory as possible.

If a item doesn't sell just return it for a refund, no risk.
If a no refund policy or restocking fees applied from beginning, scalpers will be more hesitant to scalp day one.

Rtx 4090s are still in high demand so bots will still scoop up drops for foreseeable future.
When the 7900XTX is released, hopefully there is a no refund policy in place (doubtful), which should increase risk to scalpers.

Also, Newegg is changing the return policy because of the high number of returns is screwing up their business, not as a way to combat scalping.
Why haven't they implemented a way to try to get cards to consumers instead of scalpers, they don't give a shit, nor does Nvidia or any other retailer.
Best Buy maybe, but who knows how effective their system is because there's plenty of 4090FE in reseller market.
Nvidia, was doing a GeForce Experience priority access, but hasn't sent anything out lately🤷

But, the biggest villain in all of this are the people with no self control who are buying scalped merchandise (in my opinion).

supernova8

Banned
Scalpers are also competing with other scalpers, so when a "hot" item is released it's a rush to scoop up as much inventory as possible.

If a item doesn't sell just return it for a refund, no risk.
If a no refund policy or restocking fees applied from beginning, scalpers will be more hesitant to scalp day one.

Rtx 4090s are still in high demand so bots will still scoop up drops for foreseeable future.
When the 7900XTX is released, hopefully there is a no refund policy in place (doubtful), which should increase risk to scalpers.

Also, Newegg is changing the return policy because of the high number of returns is screwing up their business, not as a way to combat scalping.
Why haven't they implemented a way to try to get cards to consumers instead of scalpers, they don't give a shit, nor does Nvidia or any other retailer.
Best Buy maybe, but who knows how effective their system is because there's plenty of 4090FE in reseller market.
Nvidia, was doing a GeForce Experience priority access, but hasn't sent anything out lately🤷

But, the biggest villain in all of this are the people with no self control who are buying scalped merchandise (in my opinion).
I suppose it's effectively both because the high number of returns is probably solely due to scalpers. Regular consumers typically don't return products in droves unless there's a problem with the product in question. I'm gonna assume Newegg cannot (legally) refuse refunds for faulty products. If they did someone (not a scalper) would probably take their asses to court.

If they can refuse refunds then I really wonder why it took them this long. You're right having such a policy could have reduced the number of scalpers.

Tmac

Currently retail is as much to blame as scalpers itself.

Long ago the release of "hot" itens became a prevalent business strategy of much of the retail (shoes, toys, clothing, etc). Scalpes are just the other side of the same shit coin.

smbu2000

I suppose it's effectively both because the high number of returns is probably solely due to scalpers. Regular consumers typically don't return products in droves unless there's a problem with the product in question. I'm gonna assume Newegg cannot (legally) refuse refunds for faulty products. If they did someone (not a scalper) would probably take their asses to court.

If they can refuse refunds then I really wonder why it took them this long. You're right having such a policy could have reduced the number of scalpers.
During the mining craze there was no need to have a refund policy like that since they were selling all of the stock that they received and nobody returned their merchandise as it was all sold on the second hand reseller market. Now with the craze over and you have an unpopular at its price-point card like the 4080 and the cards aren't moving, more people want to return them if they can sell them off at a profit. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall for GPUs and implemented this policy after the craze was over.

Nobody mentioned anything with the 4090 cards since even at their high price-point they would still be the performance leader, so people who want the best of the best would still be willing to pay the 4090 price and even more at scalper prices. In that case people weren't returning 4090s since they could be scalped.

supernova8

Banned
Good, fuck scalpers. They are a plague to the supply chain.
"CoMe On DuDe canT yoU sEE its JuST Aaaaarbbbiitrageeee"
Go Away Reaction GIF

the mental gymnastics defending scalpers is/was/will always be hilarious.

Sure scalping is sort of playing out capitalism to its logical conclusion but that's not how reality works.
Real life is not your stereotypical economics 101 supply/demand curve.

There are certain "rules of the game" that we all play by in, well, being part of civilized society, which involves things like queuing up and waiting your turn.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Top Bottom