• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen/Squadron 42 News Thread

Rikkori

Not comparable. A "proper" MMO comes out feature complete or mostly feature complete, then receives some gameplay tuning, buffing and debuffing and fixes, and then a DLC every year or two. Star Citizen is nowhere NEAR feature complete, and won't be in the next five years. Don't lie to yourself.
Do you have any idea how much time & money it takes to make an MMO? You just don't know about them until they're nearly done because they're backed by publishers. Here's what it took to make SWTOR, a bog standard mmo, and done by already established studios with full funding from day 1:
Developed over the course of more than five years by BioWare Austin and LucasArts at a cost of over $200 million, Star Wars: The Old Republic was first conceived in 2005 as an MMORPG follow-up to BioWare's previous video games, the popular Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and the game was first announced on October 21, 2008. The game itself was released to the public on December 20, 2011

Patrick S.

Banned
Do you have any idea how much time & money it takes to make an MMO? You just don't know about them until they're nearly done because they're backed by publishers. Here's what it took to make SWTOR, a bog standard mmo, and done by already established studios with full funding from day 1:

Yeah, it costs money to make an MMO. And RSI already got ALL the money. It's their turn to deliver now.

Gojko_of_Rivia

Neo Member
Anyone who still supports this game is complete tool. They havent deliver 10% of what was promised in last 9 years yet star citizen fanatics still believe release is under corner. If anything, Chris Roberts has showed how dumb pc master race and space sim nerds are.

harmny

Banned
Chris if you are reading this. don't launch the game. if you launch it you enter the media grinder. you will get shit from every side. eternal early access is fine.

Anyone who still supports this game is complete tool. They havent deliver 10% of what was promised in last 9 years yet star citizen fanatics still believe release is under corner. If anything, Chris Roberts has showed how dumb pc master race and space sim nerds are.
i support it. i spent $45 5 years ago. got my moneys worth and everything from now on for me is free content. whales keep on keeping on thanks

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I am 100% sure Chris does not have an idea either, based on the project's progress so far.
He may have an inkling though these days.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

iPod went from not even a full thought to market in about 11 months, FF XIV was rebuilt from almost scratch in 2.5 years with massive pressure, an ashamed company, and enraged fanbase.

Setting the initial scope to be greater than those MMO (FF and SW: TOR) without knowing if you have the know-how, funding, personnel, etc... is... well their job.
How many times they re-created the roadmap and their roadmap reporting tools?

magaman

Banned
At this point, even reading this game's title(s) gives me an involuntary gag reflex.

The level of ineptitude on display here from all parties - management and blinded backers alike - is one of the dumbest things I've seen in the history of entertainment.

Chris Roberts just came out with a glorified cocksuck of a forum post which culminated in how CIG aren't beholden to a publisher and they're going to take their time to perfect SQ42 and SC before release. He has no deadlines, can set his own scope, and nobody can say anything about it.

Hey, yeah, that's thanks to all the morons who continue to invest into this garbage. Have you seen the product? Have you played the product? I recently hopped into the last free fly event and would've guessed it was 1 to 2 years into development. It's a broken embarrassment of a product and anyone involved should be ashamed to put their name on it.

Why am I so salty? Because studios that I loved have closed due to a lack of funding. Sequels I'd love to play won't happen because of a lack of funding. Yet somehow, this bottom-feeding fraud scores $300+ million of free money from the internet and burns it right in front of us with pointless CGI trailers and years of wasted development.

It is already the most expensive videogame in history. And it's not even going to be released this decade, if at all.

Let me remind everyone how fucked this project is. Key note: Star Citizen / Squadron 42 has been in development for eight years.
  • They've promised 100 star systems. We've yet to see one completed, and work continues on the existing one they do have throughout 2021 into 2022.
  • They've promised hacking, medical, engineering, data running, tourism, farming and other gameplay loops. None of these have seen even a tier-0 implementation.
  • They expect this game to be playable by hundreds, if not thousands of players in the same instance
  • They expect to have more NPCs than players yet they can't figure out how to stop NPCs from standing on chairs
  • They expect to have NPC crews and NPC schedules that are more sophisticated than Skyrim
  • They expect to have homesteads / owned properties and dynamic NPC villages
  • They have yet to figure out server meshing - a solution to actually allow any of this to happen.
  • Oh, and the flight model in a space ship game isn't even done yet
And this is just a drop in the bucket. Anyone that thinks this is going to happen is a fucking retard.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned
And this is just a drop in the bucket. Anyone that thinks this is going to happen is a fucking retard.

This game scam needs to be in the Oxford dictionary for two things: 1) How to perpetrate the world's biggest scam outside of creating a religion (see: Scientology) and 2) everyone who defends it should be the definition of Sunk Cost Fallacy™

EDIT: 7 years of dev for Cyberpunk, and look at the state it released in. Scam Citizen is literally on 8 years, and doesn't even have a 1/100th of the content CP does... I honestly think that says it all.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Chris if you are reading this. don't launch the game. if you launch it you enter the media grinder. you will get shit from every side. eternal early access is fine.

i support it. i spent $45 5 years ago. got my moneys worth and everything from now on for me is free content. whales keep on keeping on thanks

Its seems you value 45$ as I value 0$.

nowhat

We'll all be in the nursing home by then trying to remember what SQ42 actually was and why we cared :messenger_beaming:
You know how dementia patients can suddenly become quite lucid briefly when for example hearing a song from their childhood?

I can imagine years from now you can troll retirement homes by yelling "Star Citizen!" and watch a bunch of elderly go on a profanity-laden tirade about the game for a couple of minutes, before they forget what they were going on about.

magaman

Banned
This game scam needs to be in the Oxford dictionary for two things: 1) How to perpetrate the world's biggest scam outside of creating a religion (see: Scientology) and 2) everyone who defends it should be the definition of Sunk Cost Fallacy™

EDIT: 7 years of dev for Cyberpunk, and look at the state it released in. Scam Citizen is literally on 8 years, and doesn't even have a 1/100th of the content CP does... I honestly think that says it all.

The SC community is validating slow development by giving examples like Cyberpunk as if it's a cautionary tale to not release something before it's ready.

If you're in this camp, you're a goddamned idiot. Cyberpunk is a game. Star Citizen is a broken fetus that wants grow up to be 1/10th of Cyberpunk is today.

Cyberpunk can and will be fixed. There is no hope for SC in any way, shape or form. It's a terminal case of stupidity.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
“Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.”
Chris Roberts

Fuck this "game", I am so done with this.
Watching the shit show has been nothing else but entertaining please keep posting 😍

Meicyn

Gold Member
Right, and then they expanded scope & let people know, and if you wanted to you could get a refund. Kickstarter is not a pre-order service, it's a funding service, something that was very clear at that point in time to anyone that cared to look into the platform. People who put money in & wanted to take it out could do so, and those who wanted to fund the biggest and most ambitious game in history could let it work.

I'm not talking about you now but I have no sympathy for anyone who put their $30 (or $3000 for that matter) in and now expects that they should dictate exactly how & when RSI should develop the game. It doesn't work that way. You buy into a vision, fund it, and hope for the best. That's all kickstarter is. And for people to pretend like they've got nothing out of it when there's a good slice of the game playable at any one time, is also just baffling. Is it finished? No, because things take time to make. But you can jump in & see the progress (hell, even if you don't put any money in) and it's very clear they're making it. Don't we all wish it would go faster? Sure. But point me to which studio is making a game of similar scope and doing it better & faster, and I'll eat my hat. It doesn't exist.
Thanks for explaining how Kickstarter works. I really needed that explained.

Here’s the deal, man. I pledged money at the start. Then they got a LOT of money. So the scope of the project increased. They wanted to build something really special. No problem, I get it. I elected NOT to get a refund. I wanted this shiny new Chris Roberts game.

We are in year eight. Sure, games take time. Will this game come out someday? Yeah. But at the rate things are going, I’m serious. I sincerely believe I will be playing on a PS6 before Star Citizen comes out. We now have this fancy roadmap, and I am no more convinced that this game is coming out anytime soon. Squadron 42 in 2025, Star Citizen in 2028, maybe? Or am I being too generous? What do you think?

Meanwhile, in Q1 2021 I will be meeting other players in space station hubs in Elite Dangerous, taking missions from NPCs and making my way planetside for FPS combat against NPC factions (or maybe some thargoids?) in an upgraded engine complete with revamped visuals and lighting. It will be a released product. It will not have an AI bartender or NPCs with schedules, but you know what? An abstraction of a scifi universe is good enough because I’ll be playing a space game with others. It’s the other players, not NPCs, that will make the universe feel lived in. Once they get VR working for the FPS portion post-launch, good lord.

K.S v2.0

Banned
To add to some of this... You guys remember the last guy who had his head up his own ass like Chris Roberts with the whole "I do what I want when I want and nobody tells me what to do!" schtick?

Was the guy behind Duke Nukem Forever. Now how did Duke Nukem Forever turn out?

michael conor mic drop GIF by In Real Life

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
...Yeah, if Chris Roberts' comments on why they haven't released it yet because of other games releasing too soon was a dig on Cyberpunk then a few things about that... first, that was a horribly unnecessary low blow to another developer. Secondly, Cyberpunk at least released with loads of content and while releasing too soon due to its bugs, CDPR has been diligent in trying to fix it as soon as possible. CDPR also doesn't have the luxury of constant flux of monies coming in from people buying products for an unfinished game. Right now Star Citizen feels like some kind of weird money scheme rather than a game in actual development.

I don't have much respect for Roberts, but for Star Citizen's backers: I hope the game eventually releases and is everything you imagined it would be.

borborygmus

I backed this dirt cheap many years ago. I can't even remember how much I pledged, but it was the lowest tier that'd get me the game.

Even 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have called this a scam. Engine rewrites are hard. But there has to come a time where the tech is there and you have standardized your workflows and you can just focus on pumping out content. The fact that that time has not come, not even close, and they have no response other than the same old shtick of being "uncompromising" just makes it undeniable. This project's main goal is clearly to fund Chris Roberts' lifestyle. There is real work going on, but it's #2 on the priority list and even then its seems to exist primarily as the entertainment part of Chris Roberts' lifestyle, so not only does it fund him, it also gives him a hobby he can work on at his own convenience.

When people say it's a scam it doesn't mean there is no game at all, just that the game is clearly not the priority to the point where it might never even be completed, and the people working on it know it and don't care.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
I backed this dirt cheap many years ago. I can't even remember how much I pledged, but it was the lowest tier that'd get me the game.

Even 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have called this a scam. Engine rewrites are hard. But there has to come a time where the tech is there and you have standardized your workflows and you can just focus on pumping out content. The fact that that time has not come, not even close, and they have no response other than the same old shtick of being "uncompromising" just makes it undeniable. This project's main goal is clearly to fund Chris Roberts' lifestyle. There is real work going on, but it's #2 on the priority list and even then its seems to exist primarily as the entertainment part of Chris Roberts' lifestyle, so not only does it fund him, it also gives him a hobby he can work on at his own convenience.

When people say it's a scam it doesn't mean there is no game at all, just that the game is clearly not the priority to the point where it might never even be completed, and the people working on it know it and don't care.

Agree. It's not that there is 'no game.' There's technology, options, and even a few gameplay loops. This in and of itself, if you squint, can be considered a 'game.'

So it's true then that the backers can defend Star Citizen and Chris Roberts by arguing that there's actually a product and it isn't just smoke and mirrors. But beyond that fact, it's a glorified laughing shame to call it anything other than a pipe dream at best.

The community is part of this problem. They could simply stop funding it and CR would have to make some sacrifices like every other thing ever. But no, people keep pumping money into it in record numbers, going on promises alone.

Who the fuck wouldn't want this setup? Nobody to answer to, and an unlimited budget to burn while making a dream game at a leisurely pace, with no guidelines, censors, limits, or even finalized scope. It's the dream of all dreams. I imagine with unlimited time and money, most people would eventually hire enough smart people to build something worthwhile. However, you've got a moron at the helm and an entire community ready to drink whatever cum he can manage to dribble out. And he hasn't managed much in 8 years; no reason to think he'll do any better in the next 8.

Last edited:

Starfield

Star Citizen / Squadron 42 just received a MASSIVE update on its roadmap for whats coming 2021 and beyond but without further adue:

tl;dr:
Nova Tank and Ship to Station docking in 3.13
Orison and Crusader gas giant in 3.14
Salvage and Healing T0 in 3.15

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/progress-tracker
^ use this link to see the new bi-weekly updated roadmap and progress tracker

Release Tracker Improvements​

In today’s Roadmap publish, we’ve updated our traditional Release View to introduce new labels (Released, Committed, Tentative) and a color-coding system to help identify the release reliability of each deliverable.

Let’s start with the new labels underneath each patch number per release card.

• Tentative: This deliverable is tentatively scheduled for this quarter, but hasn’t gone through the review process and may shift around on the Roadmap
  • Committed: This deliverable is scheduled for this quarter and has passed the final review process. There is a very low chance of this deliverable moving.
  • Released: This deliverable has been released.

Next, let’s cover the color-coding improvements. Deliverables and columns will now show up colorless and transparent to denote that the estimated delivery times are *Tentative* and could move around on the schedule. That’s because even if we have ~70% confidence a deliverable will hit its intended target, it has not yet had a final review, or in some cases, development on that deliverable hasn’t started yet (this is especially true for deliverables farther out on the schedule).

Put simply, if it’s colorless and labeled as Tentative, don’t be surprised if it moves/changes. If it’s solid & blue and labeled as Committed, expect it to stay put (with very rare exception

Notable Changes for January 27th, 2021​

Hacking – Tech
While work on this feature will be complete in time, the mission team won’t have enough time to implement it properly into the game, resulting in this deliverable moving from the 3.13 column to the 3.14 column.

Object Push & Pull
After evaluating the work for Object Push & Pull, we have found it feasible to target a release this quarter, therefore we have added this feature to the 3.13 column.

Mounted Guns
We have moved the Mounted Guns deliverable from the Weapons category to the Gameplay category, as this is a feature the Actor Feature Team is working on.

Tumbril Nova Tonk
The Nova Tonk has moved up in the schedule and is now slated to release earlier than initially planned. For this reason, you will now find this deliverable in the 3.13 column.

Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing
Server Meshing is an on-going initiative that includes a variety of features and technology that help unlock the ability to expand the content and player counts in the Star Citizen Universe. Tasks associated with this deliverable span across multiple teams and disciplines, and you’ll find work being done on all four quarters currently visible on the Roadmap. While you may not see Server Meshing or Pyro in the release view at the moment, this doesn’t necessarily rule anything out. This merely means we’re still working out a timeline and have not currently met that threshold (~70% confidence) to target a specific quarter yet.

iCache
Some of you may have noticed that iCache is not present as a standalone deliverable on the Roadmap. It’s still there, but it’s gotten a name change. This is because iCache and other similar technologies are now wrapped up within the Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing deliverable mentioned above. In addition, we have removed the Convert Legacy Data Management to iCache from the Release View as there are pending dependencies involved in the work for this. This means the fruits of these efforts won’t be seen until later on in the year.

Weapon Content Team
The Weapon Content Team has wrapped their planning just barely outside of the window to add their deliverables to the release view for today’s publish. You can expect this team’s deliverables for the year to be added to the Release View in the next publish.

Core Tech Group – Downstream Content
As we mentioned when we released the new Roadmap in December, once we start adding downstream teams, there content will only go out two quarters. This is because content beyond that is too unreliable and dependent on upstream team’s schedules. This is an important reminder because now that we’re adding the Core Tech Group teams listed below, some of them are downstream teams, meaning you will only see two quarters of scheduled content.

New teams added to the Progress Tracker
  • Planet Tech Team
  • Network Team
  • Persistent Tech Team
  • Graphics Team
  • Physics Team
  • Dev Tools Team
  • Engine Team
  • Game Services
  • Live Tools

New Deliverables added to the Release View

• Object Push & Pull
  • Tumbril Nova

• Crusader
  • Orison Landing Zone
  • Hacking – Tech
  • NPC Healing
  • Radar & Scanning
  • Missions – Spawn Closets
  • Actor Feature – Physical Inventory
  • Tech – Healing T0
  • Weapon Charge/Drain T0 – Tech
  • RSI Constellation Taurus
  • Shield Systems Tech Replacement
  • Migrating Legacy Vehicle XMLs to Datacore
  • Vehicle Module Swapping

• Small Home – Outpost – Colonialism
  • Salvage T0 – Tech
  • Player Interaction Experience
  • Actor Feature – EVA T2
  • Zero-G Push & Pull
  • Weapons – Magazine Stripping / Refilling
  • Cutting T0
  • Bombs and Space Mines
  • Crusader Ares Starfighter Inferno
  • Crusader Ares Starfighter Ion
  • Crusader A2 Hercules Starlifter
  • Aegis Redeemer
  • Ship Interior/Exterior Culling

• Orison v2
  • Fire Extinguisher – Tech
  • Actor Feature – Lockers & Inventory
  • Actor Tech – Physicalized Weapon Handling
  • Actor Feature – Ladders T1
  • Prone
  • Player Slide
  • Weapon Misfire & Wear
  • Ship Shield-Emitters
  • Origin M50 Engine Swapping
  • Dynamic Door Alignment – Vehicles

IDappa

I forgot I pledged, was actually thinking the other day how this game is coming along and if it's any closer to actually releasing something to jump into. Is the first person shooter component out yet?.

Hudo

You know, Microsoft got heavy flak from the Wing Commander die-hards when it came out that Microsoft pushed Digital Anvil (that was Chris Roberts' studio) to release Freelancer. I remember an interview some time after the release where Chris Roberts voiced his criticism about having to ship the game. Now, Freelancer is my favourite space game of all time, mind you. So it's not like the game is bad; it's very good.

After all this time I have started to think that maybe Microsoft weren't the bad guys.

Sentenza

I forgot I pledged, was actually thinking the other day how this game is coming along and if it's any closer to actually releasing something to jump into. Is the first person shooter component out yet?.
? That has been into the available build for two or three years at this point.
Anyway, fucking disappointed to see iCache slipping away once again.
And that’s assuming it will turn out to be the miracle worker for performances they keep implying it should be.

Starfield

"Theaters of War", Star Citizen's combined arms game-mode is getting outsourced to UK based developer studio Firesprite. in collaboration with CIG they will work on delivering Theaters of War which got announced back in 2019

Star Citizen’s “Theaters of War” mode is a PvP multiplayer experience first unveiled at Citizen-Con 2019. Gameplay features intense, large-scale, team-based skirmishes between attackers and defenders across multiple phases of combat on planetary surfaces, in upper atmosphere, and a final orbital assault on a space station.

Sentenza

I remember when ToW was supposed to come out in January 2020. Then it turned out to work far worse than anticipated in the super-restricted beta and got delayed a bunch of times. Now this.

harmny

Banned

"Theaters of War", Star Citizen's combined arms game-mode is getting outsourced to UK based developer studio Firesprite. in collaboration with CIG they will work on delivering Theaters of War which got announced back in 2019

Star Citizen’s “Theaters of War” mode is a PvP multiplayer experience first unveiled at Citizen-Con 2019. Gameplay features intense, large-scale, team-based skirmishes between attackers and defenders across multiple phases of combat on planetary surfaces, in upper atmosphere, and a final orbital assault on a space station.

i don't like this but whatever. this game needs at least 5 more years of development

harmny

Banned
This is game is vapourware.

If not, expect a complete game when PS6, Series X2, and Nvidia 8080s come out.
Well it isn't vaporware because you can play it right now and they have 600 developers working on it. But chris roberts is horrible at project management. The only way they can succeed is if they manage to release squadron 42 to critical acclaim before people stop buying jpgs.

I'm a backer btw. But I've already got my money's worth playing the alpha

Last edited:
Top Bottom