• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarface to be remade with a black Tony Montana

MayauMiao

I'm sure at this point some of those "creative" minds at Hollywood are thinking about remaking The Godfather with a black Michael Corleone.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess if we get MBJ doing a horrible accent with his already mediocre acting skills, the movie could be pretty funny. I think I'm coming around to the idea.

Or maybe just do the awful Black Panther character again and we can get this:

WtulJMR.png

pLow7

There are rumors claiming that all time classic Scarface will be remade and will have Michael B Jordan as protagonist.

Not only did they not respect the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it-rule", they chose a black person to play cuban refugee Tony Montana... It could be me but it seems like another case of SJW pandering.

What are your opinions on this fellow gaffers?
tb6HiYS.jpg

I'm not sure how a black actor paying a "cuban refugee" is contradicting. Nearly 40% of cuban population is either black or half black.

For the love of everything that is good....And I speak as a black man who loves Scarface, this does not need to happen....Ever!

Don't realy think this movie needs another remake, but...

There are rumors claiming that all time classic Scarface will be remade and will have Michael B Jordan as protagonist.

Not only did they not respect the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it-rule", they chose a black person to play cuban refugee Tony Montana... It could be me but it seems like another case of SJW pandering.

What are your opinions on this fellow gaffers?
tb6HiYS.jpg

Lol, were you mad that Al Pacino was cast to play a Cuban?
They included the full original movie as a special feature on the bluray of the 83 version. Too bad that's not a more common practice.

Edit: Apparently removed from the newest bd release, it seems. =/

The LE 4k version comes with the original on BD

Majukun

There are lots of people in Latin America with Italian/Roman genetics. It's very reasonable.

I agree that he's probably just going to play a black American gangster. They're only taking the name for cheap marketing purposes.
what makes shit movies is trying to recatch lighting in a bottle by remaking great movies without any of the spark and inspiration that made them great, but just for a quick cashgrab based on brand/title recognition.

what gender swapping and race swapping usually does is just give free pubblicity by people that get outraged by it (but will go see the movie anyway) and open the market

The problem I have with this is Hollywood's focus tested bullshit of lazily milking an established franchise name to sell a movie.

Scarface will always be associated with Pacino's iconic performance, A product of the 80's and it's magic of it's era. If you wanted to make a gangsta film with Jordan that's completley fine. But trying to piggyback off an iconic movie namebto give it credibility is just low effort and insulting.

im okay with a remake here but i really hope they dont try to be cheeky by making references to pacinos movie

it should stand on its own

i really really hope this doesnt happen

Top Bottom