• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scariest Places/Locations in Video Games

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Thread Request by Fusrodah Fusrodah

hkodPm1.jpg

Hello everyone!

What better time of year to talk about Horror Games!

Share the top 3 scariest places or locations you have played in your videogame life.

Reply with:

1) Name of the game
2) Name of the location
3) Write the reasons why scares you

and

4) Attach a screenshot (if you can)

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES
Lake behind the dam
No matter how well I did in the game leading up to this section, I never made it through with the whole team and often lost everyone. It was terrifying as a kid because I knew it was coming up, knew I had to go there and that it would destroy me and keep the rest of the game locked away forever. Easier as an adult, but still difficult today.

ADXYZZ9.jpg

Mochilador

Silent Hill 1
The first time the city gets dark and you have to reach the school.

Shit gets really dark, music/sound becomes intense and you have to face those monsters that look like sloths.

latest

Zombi U
The nursery.

The sound/atmosphere really makes you shit your pants.
The first time I visited this place was really intense. I missed the manhole to reach the safehouse and I had to go through this place, otherwise I would lose a ton of progress.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ju-On The Grudge
Abandoned hospital, the second stage.

The area is fairly big, there are lots of places to explore, you are limited by your flashlight's batteries and the cat kid is running all around the place.

maxresdefault.jpg

kingbean

Imagine being 8 years old and your first horror game is Resident Evil Directors Cut.

Dog hallway scared the piss out of me. At 8 years old I knew a room that was that bright had to have something horrible in it and it was those goddamn dogs.

GV82

PT

Location - The Corridor, all of it, once things start to get creepy & disorientates you .

Why? - at the tine it quite possibly the creepiest game i’d played in a while & was only a teaser and the less we knew about it & the less plays of it, the creepier it was.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Lots of Horror RPG Maker games come to mind but anyway here are some I like from more well known RPGs:

Dark Rift - Skies of Arcadia

Lavander Town - Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

The Old Sorceress Mansion - Lost Odyssey

Song of Nephilim - Xenosaga Episode 1

Sewers - Parasite Eve

makaveli60

I was a little kid and Doom was among (if not) the first games I played and although I didn't find it scary at all (iddqd may have been a big reason for that :messenger_grinning_sweat:) the last room in E1M5 with the flickering lights gave me the creeps and I always just sprinted to the exit door.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Catacombs

Probably a breeze now, but playing this at whatever age I was when it came out was creepy as fuck.

images

The Forest - Caves

Not scary in multiplayer, but in single, you always feel so vulnerable and unprepared. Great atmosphere too with the bodies of plane survivors strewn about, some hanging from ceilings, some contorted into weird positions.

theforest-flare-1059481.jpg

nkarafo

Unfinished zones in World of Warcraft.

I remember this video giving me the creeps:

There's something really creepy about unfinished areas where you aren't supposed to be. They are always these empty, dead, abandoned, eerie places where everything looks wrong. Wow had a lot of those.

Pallas

One place I can think of is ...

The glowing sea from Fallout 4

It’s so otherworldly and desolate, powerful creatures on the prowl, crazy storms, extremely eerie atmosphere.
12fhEpf.jpg

Turok 3.. near the final levels of the game, there is a Pyramid with scary chants and sounds and stops when you open the gates. I couldn't even go inside. Can you blame me though? I was a kid back in 2000. Finally manned up and beat it a year later.

MagnesG

Banned
Silent hill worlds are still the top. It is worse than nightmares and it some way you could still relate it with realities.

Silent Hill 1
The first time the city gets dark and you have to reach the school.

Shit gets really dark, music/sound becomes intense and you have to face those monsters that look like sloths.

latest

Zombi U
The nursery.

The sound/atmosphere really makes you shit your pants.
The first time I visited this place was really intense. I missed the manhole to reach the safehouse and I had to go through this place, otherwise I would lose a ton of progress.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ju-On The Grudge
Abandoned hospital, the second stage.

The area is fairly big, there are lots of places to explore, you are limited by your flashlight's batteries and the cat kid is running all around the place.

maxresdefault.jpg

Fuck the nursery in ZombiU lol. In general, thanks for mentioning ZombiU, it's a great 1st person survival horror.

mrabott

One place I can think of is ...

The glowing sea from Fallout 4

It’s so otherworldly and desolate, powerful creatures on the prowl, crazy storms, extremely eerie atmosphere.
12fhEpf.jpg

For me, the metro tunnels in Fallout 3 make me hit my pants the first time I played that game.

ZehDon

latest

The USG Ishimura from Dead Space.
And also Dead Space 2, but you're not supposed to know that going in
It's so wonderfully horrible, with the mix of workman-industrial and future-tech, that the ship really became it's own character.
Returning to the Ishimura in Dead Space 2 was one of the creepiest and scariest sections of that title. The fact that it remains scary on a second trip is real achievement.
We've had scary space ships before, but few have ever conveyed such a sense of character in their own right. One of gaming's absolute best.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Undying and those damn howlers hanging upside down from the ceiling in the creepy mansion. That game needs a remaster. Even walking down the hallway with the wind blown curtains was eery.

Moses85

What about.

Silent Hill 2 (First Rendezvous with the Pyramide Head)

Resident Evil Remake (First appearance of Lisa Trevor)

Nymphae

Banned
I find the vast expanses of nothing in Elite Dangerous terrifying, especially knowing there were weird alien artifacts floating around out there.

Most of the later stages of Ecco the Dolphin: DotF were very difficult for me, I've never beaten that game. Water levels in general creep me the fuck out. Vast bodies of water and infinite space really get to me, so the Rom fight in Bloodborne was particularly tough as well, had to be a fucking squad of spiders on an infinite body of water lol.

Top Bottom