So I just spent a good amount of time finishing the game on Hard ( I like a good challenge and this was) - and I hadn't looked into this game much so I was going in blind. After I finished the game, I looked at scores and general sentiment for this game - and the amount of praise it got baffled me. This is a 6/10 game at best but it's getting way higher scores by critics. How's that possible when:
- Game hardly has any animated cutscenes - but comic style story-telling (which is what indie games resort to usually for budgeting reasons)
- Environments/Dungeons are DEAD, bland,uninteresting - and your only purpose is to walk through them until the next fight starts
- Enemies/bosses are repetitive - you know, the type of game that throws in the same boss again, but now there's 2 of them..and then 3? Yeah..
- Some boss fights are literally your team members (lol) - nice shortcut.
- Combat system had so much potential - but you never need to change anything because...you gussed it, SAME DAMN ENEMIES/BOSSES.
- Brain gear (items) is just broken and makes the game easy.
- Far too many team members - making them all forgettable.
- Member skills are cool - but the game never allows you to experiment. It's only at the end of the game where you have all your members and you can finally CHOOSE how to play the game...but it's the end, what's the point?