• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Science invents a pill that makes you 10 years old forever, do you take it?

Do you live forever as your 10 year old self?

• Yes

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 83 84.7%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
Hypothetical, lets say science finally manages to make humans biologically immortal. The dream of living forever is possible, but only by going on a pill that physically reverts to you to your 10 year old self?

You would lose all your memories that are from the past adult life. So discovered Neogaf in your teens or twenties? Too late, you're now forced to discover it again in your 10 year old body.

But everything else remains the same. Your wealth, your job, your friends and family are still there.

Do you take the immortal pill and become a kid again?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Only if I were allowed to carry pistols.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh god no. Under the wrong circumstances, that kid might choose to game on a console!

But more importantly, I don't think ten-year-old me has the same great taste in movies. No version of me deserves to exist without a real appreciation for cinema.

I was with you up until the 'lose your memory' bit.

That effectively just kills 11+ year old me anyway, so what's the point?

If I kept my memories then once I was too old to bone anyway, then why the hell not? I'd be retired, but able to enjoy it properly due to no health issues, and I'd need less food, space and stuff, making the cost of living cheaper.

But if current me is dead, and its just the little wanker 10 year old me was running around in my place, then he can fuck right off.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Also ...
Playing sports would be shit.
Driving would be hard.
Life would suck.

Kimahri

Banned
My life was awesome when I was then, but I'm not sure I'd be okay with never being allowed to watch all the movies I'd want. Sneaking around with movies at night for eternity sounds like a chore.

JordanN

Banned
What the hell's the point if you lose all your memories? You're basically killing yourself and then dooming the reborn you to a destiny that he didn't choose for himself.
Losing your memories past 10 means you never have to deal with traumatic events. Your mind is more or less mentally stable and not influenced by other factors like say, losing a loved one or watching people die in a horrible accident.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned doing stuff that would never tire your body out?

So imagine being able to volunteer for any space mission since your age will always be constant. You could also ride rollercoasters forever and not have to deal with having a heart attack like your Boomer body will eventually be too fragile to handle.

JordanN

Banned
Also ...
Playing sports would be shit.
Driving would be hard.
Life would suck.
Wait, what? Did you fail gym class in Elementary School?

Sports would actually be easier, unless you were a midget as a kid.

As for driving, you never rode a Go-Kart as a kid? Or owned a bike or scooter?

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
fourth grade wasnt that fun so no. imagine going to school forever.
Technically, you could drop out. Since you still have your job and wealth, why even go in the first place?

Remember, only your body changed. The rest of life is the same.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Losing your memories past 10 means you never have to deal with traumatic events. Your mind is more or less mentally stable and not influenced by other factors like say, losing a loved one or watching people die in a horrible accident.
That's what makes me, me. It doesn't matter if I keep my friends and family. My current self, comprised of all of my life experiences, is destroyed. It's like I died. They have no connection to this newly formed 10 year old person that is nothing like the person they once knew.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned doing stuff that would never tire your body out?

So imagine being able to volunteer for any space mission since your age will always be constant. You could also ride rollercoasters forever and not have to deal with having a heart attack like your Boomer body will eventually be too fragile to handle.
How do I get accepted to any space mission with the body of a 10 year old?

JordanN

Banned
How do I get accepted to any space mission with the body of a 10 year old?
You could lie about your age, you could sneak aboard the shuttle. Or if you're really rich, just pay for a ticket to space?
Elon Musk would accept you if you got the cash.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You could lie about your age, you could sneak aboard the shuttle. Or if you're really rich, just pay for a ticket to space?
Eh, pass.

That's basically Kirsten Dunst's character in Interview with a Vampire. Arguably, until the day comes where I could just chill out in VR all day long, then it might not matter anymore.

T.v

How many ten year olds have you met that could pass as adults?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If I dont lose my memories and everyone knows, yes. I'd like to see the world burn and explode someday while I'm just floating in space eternally..ha..ha..ha..ha

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe. I wasn't very physically coordinated back then ;)
Anyways, I was in grade 5 at 10 years old. I still live around the corner from my primary school. Back then, the playgrounds were fuckin huge to 10 year old me. Now, they are tiny looking.
Anyways. ... basketball would be hard.
Cricket would be hard.
Baseball ... hard.
Gridiron ... hard.
Soccer ... hard.
Volleyball ... hard.
Tennis ... hard.
Golf ... hard.
Would you like me to go on?

Unless you want to play kids versions of them for eternity.

It might be fun playing with the girls, but you could never play with them.

Pre-puberty, everyone is a midget.

Are you alright in the head today, Jordan??

Rickyiez

Sports is terrible, 10 years old body is still undeveloped AF. You will get trashed by 15-16 years old in sports like basketball or football.

As for the thread, hell no. I can't even travel alone this is terrible

nkarafo

You lost me at losing my memories.

The good thing about being young again is being young again. If you have no memories of being a rusty old man you are going to become another 10 year old kid who would wish to grow up but can't.

nkarafo

Anyway, Immortality is not a joke. It comes with a lot of responsibilities and hardships. Being immortal means you have to find ways to sustain yourself forever, probably without others noticing. Good luck changing jobs every 10 years and moving from location to location. Also good luck keeping relationships and friendships temporarily and having to abandon them every now and then or watch everyone die every few decades.

And having the body of 10 year old kid doesn't sound like a good spot. Imagine having the experience and wisdom of 100 years of living and being trapped in a kid's body, every adult or teenager being able to push you around and kick your ass. Not to mention being unable to have a sex life (legal that is) or being able to work (legally) to feed and buy nice things for yourself. You will end up bouncing from a foster family to another every few years before everyone figures out you can't grow. And what happens if they find out? You will end up in some underground lab until humanity ends? How does that work?

If you are going to be immortal you should at least have some extra abilities to help you preserve that immortality and make your life easier instead of harder. Like how Vampires have physical abilities beyond any mortal. You will never make it otherwise. Eventually, some car will hit you, some thief will shoot you, maybe you will get sick or something (unless immortality means you can't get sick as well as not being able to age). But still, imagine having found a good life loop that took you to 1.000 years old smoothly and suddenly some drunk driver kills you... What's the point? You need to have a body that can sustain a lot of damage and physical strength/speed that can put you on top of every dangerous situation.

So, in conclusion, being an immortal, weak 10 year old kid is shit.

Airola

I'd be a 10 year old forever? Oh hell no. I don't know if a 10 year old boy can get boners. Probably not. So I can't bang mah hooers.
Hell no, fuck that kind of immortality.

I had been having boners for maybe 4 years at that point. Done nasty things by myself for about 3 years at that point.

I would've been a dream for pedos and while I kinda would like to entertain the thought of me getting fondled by some hot lady I fantasized about back then, knowing the current technology and how internet works I'm sure I'd be a sex slave for eternity in some basement.

Give the technology of 2020 to a 10 year old me and I would probably be messaging with some perv acting as a woman and kidnapped in no time. I'd be the miracle kid in Epstein island getting rotated through millionaires around the world and would end up being the victim in some pedo snuff video if it wasn't for the fact that I would be immortal, so I would only be their eternal torture victim in some Thai basement.

Sooooooo, yeah no thanks.

JordanN

Banned
Wow, didn't know a lot of you guys had rough childhoods. :messenger_confused:

If you're 10 years old forever, consider that you could:

-Learn a new language
-Go on a big adventure
-Become a famous movie actor
-Become a music prodigy
-Invent new stuff
-Write a book
-Build a giant fort
-Ace university/earn multiple diplomas

Losing your memory also means life is innocent again. You're not constantly thinking about taxes or politics, your mind is actually free to do whatever makes you happy while surrounded by a depressing environment.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, didn't know a lot of you guys had rough childhoods. :messenger_confused:

Id you're 10 years old forever, consider that you could:

-Learn a new language
-Go on a big adventure
-Become a famous movie actor
-Become a music prodigy
-Invent new stuff
-Write a book
-Build a giant fort
-Ace university/earn multiple diplomas

Losing your memory also means life is innocent again. You're not constantly thinking about taxes or politics, your mind is actually free to do whatever makes you happy while surrounded by a depressing environment.

I thikn you're missing the point.
You set the age at 10. That's pretty shit.
A 10 year old, physically. Forever.

Your list of things you could do can be done with an older body too. But a 10 year old body is massively restricted.
Your premise is inherently flawed.

Basically, what you are proposing is a what if scenario in which the human race doesn't physically grow beyond 10 years old.
It would be shit.

Tenaciousmo

1- live your life fully
2- get to retire and just
3- when you start needing support from other people, take the pill
4- have an actually enjoyable retirement ?
5- an hero when tired.
literally no downside

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I thikn you're missing the point.
You set the age at 10. That's pretty shit.
A 10 year old, physically. Forever.

Your list of things you could do can be done with an older body too. But a 10 year old body is massively restricted.
Your premise is inherently flawed.

Basically, what you are proposing is a what if scenario in which the human race doesn't physically grow beyond 10 years old.
It would be shit.
Well I'd argue once you become an adult, your life is already decided at that point. Your goals are less focused on doing things that are actually fun, and more about working a dead end job because that's what society has come to expect.

It reminds me of how in Japanese pop culture, everything after High School is referred to as hell. Because the culture that exists says adults don't have time for fun, only time to be a wage slave and follow orders.

Similiarly in the West, how many janitors or burger flippers way past their adulthood are seriously thinking about learning a new language or taking up movie acting? Chances are, they don't have time and they'll be mopping floors to the day they die.

Edit: And a 10 year comes with much more health. Again, try and ride a rollercoaster once you hit your 60s/70s. You'll probably have a heart attack and fall off the ride.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
again, 10 is a very bad choice for your hypothetical.

Just accept that.

Tesseract

Banned
nah i'm good, gimme a pill that dials back my mutant metabolism (that ain't a benzo) and i'll prolly take it

weed only takes you so far

Yeah not if I have to be 10 forever. I'm not even sure I'd want to be 25 forever. Living forever seems like a pain in the ass in a lot of ways. It sounds awesome when you're worried about dying. But the idea life will end someday is a very good driver of activity. If I know I'll always be around, I'd probably lose a lot of my drive to do things over time. Essentially I say "oh it can wait until tomorrow" a lot more often.

Top Bottom