• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn - Reviews Thread

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I would say the difficulty of the first puzzle is akin to something like a puzzle in Myst, where you need to acquaint yourself enough with the environment to discover something out of place. No hand holding, text, or arrows pointing in the right direction. Takes a bit of patience, and to enjoy being in the gameworld. Or dread it, depending on your sensibilities.

Sounds good. Thanks!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Other then Portal, I can't think of many "puzzle-adventure" games I personally enjoy. I think I find myself annoyed by having to constantly use my hands to solve a mental puzzle.

Any game that has me controlling a character, going from room to room, while I try to work out a puzzle, is a hard sell for me. This applies to Zelda or even parts of games I do enjoy, overall.

I like puzzles, just not doing "chore work' with my hands while I work them out.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finally experienced combat in the game.

giphy.gif

Bridges

Finished this morning, according to Xbox I clocked a little under four and a half hours (I feel like that can't be accurate though).

The first twenty minutes were very frustrating, it took me that long to even figure out what the first step of the first puzzle was. Full disclosure, I am typically pretty bad at puzzle games with a few exceptions like TUNIC. I ended up just dropping it thinking it wasn't for me, but after reading some people here raving about the ending I decided to give it another chance and ended up really enjoying it.

The fleshy gruesome design of the environment and characters was really cool and unique. Very unsettling atmosphere that few games are able to pull off. The puzzles themselves actually were pretty simple once I understood the logic of the game world. Mostly straightforward stuff and I never felt stumped after my first few moments of the game.

The combat though, oof. I almost dropped the game for a second time after getting the pistol, the shooting is straight up bad. Everyone was completely right that running past enemies is the way to go aside from the few times it seems impossible. Luckily the game picks back up shortly after and the ending is very cool like many said.

Overall, really solid game with a unique setting. I'd give it like a 7.5/7.75 if I were a reviewer. Not sure I'd recommend it for people who aren't into puzzle games or really drawn in by the setting but I'm glad that I gave it another chance.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Graphics are great. I don't think I'm far though. Just finished one puzzle where I was walking round for fucking ages twiddling nobs. It was the weird red tree.

The atmosphere is incredible though. I had a weird tool and I had to kill flying lights with it. That's my journey so far

I played a few more hours and now I'm wondering if I have enemy just piggy backing on me with it's arms shoved in my stomach. What is that all about anyway?

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
Good. A game like this should be divise and just not please everyone with a generic fit-for-all format. Can’t wait.
Agreed! Did not play this one myself, but watched a youtube playthrough. I actually liked that it did not end with everything understood or resolved. It gives you something to think and wonder about after finisihing it.

Bridges

I played a few more hours and now I'm wondering if I have enemy just piggy backing on me with it's arms shoved in my stomach. What is that all about anyway?
Scripted story sequence, it's supposed to be there. You'll see more on this as the game goes on, some of what it does is actually useful!

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I finished this over the weekend. I loved the atmosphere; it just grabbed me and kept me involved. wtf was that ending. I am still wrapping my head around it.

Mephisto40

Was loving the game before I got to Chapter 4 with very low health, now every time I try and play it I get one shotted by the first set of enemies, only option is to restart the chapter with next to no health

Why on earth did they think this system was a good idea?!? I'm not redoing chapter 3 just because I didn't refill my health before starting the next chapter, thats me done with the game until they patch the stupid checkpoint system

bender

What time is it?
And finished. The last five minutes of the game popping three achievements made playing this for AMEM a little annoying. I love the atmosphere in the game but it isn't much of a puzzle game and I'm a little shocked that people found themselves stuck as the game is fairly linear and the few puzzles are really simple. Combat is a chore but the boss fight was somewhat interesting. I think I'd recommend it to others even with all the parts that aren't so great simply because it is short and the atmosphere and art are worth experiencing.

Bartski

Gold Member

Fixed Bugs

• A player can get stuck in the hurt machine
  • A player can get stuck in the collision after performing a glory kill
  • After killing the Boss in Act V, players are unable to pick up the dropped item
  • A player might die by falling through the floor at certain positions

Fixed Issues

• German localization issues
  • Spanish localization issues
  • FOV issues on ultrawide screens
  • Position of the ammo/heal container when a player uses heal
  • Capsule blockers on a bridge
  • Act V loading issue
  • Crash when exiting the game
  • Occasional NPC freezes
  • Various collisions causing issues

Updates and Additions

• Removed the Continue option after a player finishes the game
  • Removed the Load and the Quit game options from the death screen
  • Added safety check for a corrupted save slot
  • Added Load last checkpoint option
  • Added Act III-II hard save
  • Updated checkpoint positions
  • Updated list of the Kickstarter backers
  • Updated Credits
  • Updated FSR 2.0 label in the Options menu
  • Updated positions of certain assets

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nice. Checkpointing seems to be one of the more prevalent frustrations some folks have with the game, glad they're working on it.

Mahnmut

Fixed Bugs

• A player can get stuck in the hurt machine
  • A player can get stuck in the collision after performing a glory kill
  • After killing the Boss in Act V, players are unable to pick up the dropped item
  • A player might die by falling through the floor at certain positions

Fixed Issues

• German localization issues
  • Spanish localization issues
  • FOV issues on ultrawide screens
  • Position of the ammo/heal container when a player uses heal
  • Capsule blockers on a bridge
  • Act V loading issue
  • Crash when exiting the game
  • Occasional NPC freezes
  • Various collisions causing issues

Updates and Additions

• Removed the Continue option after a player finishes the game
  • Removed the Load and the Quit game options from the death screen
  • Added safety check for a corrupted save slot
  • Added Load last checkpoint option
  • Added Act III-II hard save
  • Updated checkpoint positions
  • Updated list of the Kickstarter backers
  • Updated Credits
  • Updated FSR 2.0 label in the Options menu
  • Updated positions of certain assets

Good that they fixed the issue on ultrawide screens. Just finished the game and I loved it.
That sequence with the fetuses... My god. I was hoping more answers from the ending instead of the "at the end, you failed at whatever your were trying to achieve" (in this case, I imagine it was to flee from this nightmare).

bender

What time is it?
That sequence with the fetuses... My god. I was hoping more answers from the ending instead of the "at the end, you failed at whatever your were trying to achieve" (in this case, I imagine it was to flee from this nightmare).

I just thought of it as groundhog day and you just made it farther than most.

He's playing it wrong. You can just run past enemies if you want to avoid them and not waste time trying to play this as a stealth game.
I ended up taking this advice and just ran to the end credits.
The atmosphere is the main talking point. Very dark and unsettling.
I would have liked an option to remove the combat and just focus on environment and puzzles (easy but there were only a few puzzles overall).
I spent too much time in same areas trying to kill things while never knowing how many jabs/shots were needed (too many for sure).
:messenger_dizzy:🤮🙀

Now to finish the first Plague Tale then the Second.
This week is going to be a gross one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom