• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn - Reviews Thread

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I played a bit yesterday and despite the last five minutes being me

There's supposed to be a spoiler here, but it's so well hidden, even I can't see it...

I feel like playing more.

It has something about it.

Last edited:

Banned
PSA: the Microsoft Store version and the Xbox version are cross progression.

not only that, FOV and Framerate settings get saved across as well. meaning you can change your console FOV by playing the PC MS Store version and changing it there

Bartski

Gold Member
Some screenshots of the environment I took in the final act of the game, NSFW.

Don't click if you plan on playing

1XXFm1.png

1XXxym.png

1XXUoc.png

1XXX8K.png

1XXbQZ.png

1XXweP.png

1XX5Ti.png

Would anyone actually pay $60 for this? $50? $40??

If Gamepass didn't exist I have a hard time believing this game would even exist...that's not a good thing moving forward
It's a 40$ game. So if anyone wants to pay 60$, you have to hope this is a timed exclusive and it gets released on another platform. I'm sure with a higher price tag it will review even better.

tommib

This will win my award for most misunderstood game of the year.

It’s a graphical adventure, really. Like an old-school mid-90s graphical adventure. You explore lush environments solving lite-puzzles so that the game shows you more lush environments. It’s a purely graphical experience. In a way, it reminds me of that PS5 Radiohead virtual museum released last year. You explore to see, to experience, to immerse yourself. And boy, does the sound design and graphical fidelity help with that. Top shit.

Anyone looking for a modern game in here will hate it. I’m really surprised they managed to make such a graphical showcase for such an old-school mentality. Excellent title.

tommib

Would anyone actually pay $60 for this? $50? $40??

If Gamepass didn't exist I have a hard time believing this game would even exist...that's not a good thing moving forward
I would’ve love to pay for this for a native PS5 version instead of playing it on xcloud with that aggravating video compression.

Bartski

Gold Member
About those bad checkpoints - not sure where this is coming from, I died a ton in acts 3 and 4 and always got respawned just a few steps behind, maybe I was lucky? There seemed to have been some game-breaking bugs in review codes related to softlocking after autosave which could have been patched already, I haven't seen a single bug in my playthrough.

Lux R7

I LOOOOVE the atmosphere and all the really beautiful environments in this game.

I can see why it's a polarizing game, thinking this is a AAA shooter, hand holding and catered to people with the attention span of a 5 year old.

This game is more of a interactive experience, and if you expected anything more than this, it's on you.

I think I'm about 3 hours in or so. Gonna try and finish it this weekend. Nice and short.

i agree with this, nice atmosphere and i love that the game doesn't tell you anything.

Beechos

These are all the reasons I am loving it, apart from clunky combat.

I am literally in the world. I am almost born to what the fuck is happening in this horrifying place and just left to pace around to try and make some sense of it.

I think it's very clever and outside of the clunky combat is right up my street. Sure the puzzles aren't difficult but it's doing the job of driving me forward with a sense of achievement and then I'm just in awe at the art direction and my feeling of pacing through this strange alien planet that at times feels like hell.

I'm deffo leaning on the side of this is a great experience but each to their own.

I completely agree with skill up here. Props to the devs on doing their thing and creating something that can't be pigeon holed in this stale cutty cutter games industry. Major props.

This is exactly why this shouldve been made in vr. Everybody would prob be praising it, if it was in vr. Whats been so boring and lackluster for alot of people wouldve prob be gone while theyre immersed in this world in vr.

Mahnmut

Been playing for a couple hours & the zero hand holding is great but man was I running about for ages trying to do the first big puzzle 😂 (
looking for the arm thing for the dismembered arm
) the rest have been relatively simple so far.

Graphics are stunning in a horrible way 😂 like you can just sit there and it looking like concept art it’s that good.

0636fae4-9814-4dcd-9ekyizc.png
I also play in ultrawide but I'm having a weird bug: when I use a "gun" and use the L trigger to aim, the fov abruptly change. Are you also encountering this?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some screenshots of the environment I took in the final act of the game, NSFW.

Don't click if you plan on playing

1XXFm1.png

1XXxym.png

1XXUoc.png

1XXX8K.png

1XXbQZ.png

1XXweP.png

1XX5Ti.png

will ferrell omg GIF

to the user who was asking earlier why everyone is posting the same place pictures, because that's an early point in the game lol, the game just came out the same day brehs.

Game is good, but that motherfucking act 3 "gun" is infuriating

The "reload animations" tho ..

Last edited:

GenericUser

Just finished it. I really liked it. But as I suspected, no replay value though. But great for a playthrough if you like the style. I really thought it would be more of a walking simulator, but it has a very decent amount of traditional survival horror elements in it. I was pleasently surprised. Definitely recommend it for people who like the artstyle and are into spooky games.

Looks really good as well, I played it on the xbox x and it was a fest for the eyes.

tommib

Love these kind of games. Dont have to manage an inventory. Don't have to craft of manage a camp/base, unlock sections on the map do stupid jobs etc.

Just a pure atmospheric puzzler with some amazing visual design and sound design. Just let's me play and figure it out myself.
Indeed. It’s so minimal and I love it for it. It’s an antidote. One of these every month would keep the doctor away.

Stuart360

This will win my award for most misunderstood game of the year.

It’s a graphical adventure, really. Like an old-school mid-90s graphical adventure. You explore lush environments solving lite-puzzles so that the game shows you more lush environments. It’s a purely graphical experience. In a way, it reminds me of that PS5 Radiohead virtual museum released last year. You explore to see, to experience, to immerse yourself. And boy, does the sound design and graphical fidelity help with that. Top shit.

Anyone looking for a modern game in here will hate it. I’m really surprised they managed to make such a graphical showcase for such an old-school mentality. Excellent title.
Its basically MYST in a Giger fuelled decaying world. I think it does what it sets out to do very well.

People expecting a FPS, well thats not the games fault.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My only issue is the combat and checkpoints, everything else is sublime.

I've had the game crash on me at least once and when I reloaded, the game launched at the exact location where it crashed.

Are you talking about check points for if you die in combat ?

Its basically MYST in a Giger fuelled decaying world. I think it does what it sets out to fo very well.

People expecting a FPS, well thats not the games fault.

It is the developer's fault for promising and hyping up a shooter first rather than a walking sim. It is understandable why folks are annoyed by the game, even if I really enjoyed it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just played a few hours - mixed feelings. Not read through the thread and only skimmed the 4/10 and 1/5 reviews to see how fair I felt they were so far.

The good: the atmosphere is an 11/10 for those who dig it. I'm an Alien fan, a Giger fan, a body horror fan, and they absolutely nail it all. It's gross and icky and I want to bathe in its ickiness. This is all I really wanted from Scorn in the first place. The puzzles themselves are mostly an excuse to walk around the world, but there's some clever little ones in there that I enjoyed solving. Great animations, great sound design, it's just a treat for horror fans to look at.

The bad: twofold, mostly. Other smaller bugs aside, the main one is that I'm getting a really annoying single second freeze every time I hit an enemy with any weapon. Doesn't sound that problematic, until you get to the main problem; the combat is dross. It's just not good, it's clearly tacked on to a different game than the developers were making originally and it feels really janky. Closest comparison point is Subnautica's combat, it's a cold turd...

The ugly: .... which leads to my biggest issue with Scorn, which is that the checkpointing system has dropped me before a room full of enemies with one hit of health left, no way to get it back, and coupled with the shitty combat and freeze I'm getting, is genuinely making me consider just flipping on cheat engine so I don't have to worry about it again. It just isn't fun at all right now. They should at the very least restore your health to full on reloading after death, even without giving you any "health packs", or at least the game's equivalent. It's something I really do think they're going to patch in, at least as some sort of toggle, because the idea of loading back to an earlier save to re-do "press the buttons in order" puzzles just to have more health later is absurd.

It's frustrating because the good is SO good. Right now, it's hard to argue against the 6-7/10 reviews, although I do feel the super low ones are unfair, it's definitely not a one star game. I think anyone who expected an FPS and is disappointed did that to themselves, I don't know WHAT bit of PR you've seen over the last 8 years or whatever that's convinced you it's anything other than a gross Giger puzzle game. The sad thing is, they actually DID tack and FPS on and it's dire.

Update: just realised it's bugged out and not given me any achievements either - don't give a shiny shit personally but that'd be enough to drive some people here off a cliff!

Update 2: went back and fought through it, found a route to run past everything to a healthy station and a pillar I could use to LOS and kill everything, so I can continue okay. Still doesn't feel fun to play that part, but I'm glad I'm back on the road with the stuff I like.

Last edited:

GenericUser

For anyone who is struggling with the enemies: I just ran by most of them. You only have to fight a tiny minority of them. They often even despawn after you pass them or they at least don't pursue you.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
Played about an hour or so of it. Its a really great 'one of those'. Hearing that there are combat sections later on makes me want to uninstall so fucking fast. Already I can tell that the movement isn't built for it. I guess it wouldn't be a video game without having to kill sentient life with a gun at some point

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fuck reviews!

I'm 4 hours in and I haven't played a better game in this genre since SOMA and in some aspects since Myst IV.

Absolutely mind-blowing visuals and atmosphere, art and art-desgn, increadible immersion and the way you interact with the world and it's unique systems be it puzzles, mechanical and organic stuff etc. And what's cool about it too, is that the game never tells you anything, you need to figure out everything on your own with absolute zero hand-holding.

All in all, Scorn is THE experience of 2022 for me when it comes to interactive video games. I just hope that devs won't take all these effin' reviews too seriously and will be making more games like this in the future.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sup bros, quick question for those that have already played and maybe beaten the game. Should I play it already? Or would you advise to wait for a patch or two?

I heard there might be some issues, but I'd rather not dive into reviews in fear of spoiling anything of such a short game. And besides, fuck reviews, I'd rather trust you instead.

tommib

Sup bros, quick question for those that have already played and maybe beaten the game. Should I play it already? Or would you advise to wait for a patch or two?

I heard there might be some issues, but I'd rather not dive into reviews in fear of spoiling anything of such a short game. And besides, fuck reviews, I'd rather trust you instead.
I finished with 0 issues. There’s some annoying checkpoints later in the game but that’s it. No bugs for me.

Sleepwalker

I have gamepass but I'm not bothering with this. Doesn't seem interesting at all and I don't play games just because they are on GP.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I finished it like it, now please do VR version, at least for PC, Хвала

eww those guys are from Serbia

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, completed and started again to get my 1000 achievement score.

This game was really good, exactly what I wanted when I first saw it. Incredible art design.

My only complaints are the janky combat and poor checkpoints. The combat wouldn't even be that bad if the checkpoints were better as you wouldn't be as annoyed with dying.

Solid 60fps all the way through, not a single bug in my playthrough and what a genuinely strange and appealing experience. Genuinely loved it.

It's a solid 8 for me, high 8. Some slightly better checkpoints and more solid combat and I would have pushed to a 9.

Awesome stuff. Hope the devs got some serious bank from Microsoft.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve only played a couple of hours. Visuals are amazing, love the style.

But as a game it’s kinda poorly designed imo. It’s difficult to know where to go, what you need to do next and why. Considering how much effort they’ve put into the environments and designs it saddens me that they don’t seem to have thought about better visual cues to intrigue/lead the player to where to go next. A missed opportunity for sure.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love that games like this exist. I've been so bored with AAA games but playing this, tunic, tiny kin, grounded, monkey Island on steam deck, hades and elden ring this year has given me faith in games.

I can't wait for God of war because I feel confident that it will deliver an unparalleled AAA experience but the rest of the dookie cookie cutter shite can rot and die for all i care.

But I deffo need to see what reviewers gave this a low score so I can ignore any of their opinions in the future.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
A little bit further today as I'm using this for AMEM. I'm not a big graphics robot these days but this game is stunning. I do hope this finds its' way to PS5 as it would benefit from proper Dualsense implementation. I really like the lack of handholding. Not sure what to think of the puzzles so far as the first puzzle was kind of "eh" and everything else has been finding hubs to interact with. I do appreciate there are several methods for getting this first item you need.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've had the game crash on me at least once and when I reloaded, the game launched at the exact location where it crashed.

Are you talking about check points for if you die in combat ?

Yeah, if you die in combat sometimes the checkpoints are really quite far back.

nkarafo

The game's only value is it's visuals. But that goes down the drain on PC, with the unreal engine shader stutters. Every few meters i walk i get a spike that feels like the game gets stuck for a few milliseconds. Annoying af.

I had the same issues with Stray. Driver updates or options don't do anything.

Fuck this engine.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The game's only value is it's visuals. But that goes down the drain on PC, with the unreal engine shader stutters. Every few meters i walk i get a spike that feels like the game gets stuck for a few milliseconds. Annoying af.

I had the same issues with Stray. Driver updates or options don't do anything.

Fuck this engine.
Yep stutter hell the game and I run this shit at more then 240fps. I wonder if this run well on deck?

Last edited:
Top Bottom