• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn - Reviews Thread

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I finished with 0 issues. There’s some annoying checkpoints later in the game but that’s it. No bugs for me.
Nice, glad to read that! Thanks for the feedback man, guess I'll be scorning tonight.

Hey Blinkin

I'm enjoying the game. Not sure how far I'm into it, but I do concur with the reviews that mention the check points being an issue.

I've died twice and having to completely retrace my steps is mildly frustrating.

I love the setting and lack of hand holding figuring out the puzzles.

Gambit2483

Well said. Let's be honest, using this game, Scorn, as an example. If it wasn't on an easily accessible sub service, it wouldn't be getting nearly as much chatter over the socials as it is. It would go down as another game that reviewed in the 70's that barely anyone would have known about.
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding me...I actually don't mind this concept....when it's the exception, not the rule.

I don't want to pay $15 a month for a service where I get mostly "also ran" games. I want mostly actual good games I'd actually buy otherwise...maybe that's great for a lot of other people but I have higher expectations for this service.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I finished with 0 issues. There’s some annoying checkpoints later in the game but that’s it. No bugs for me.

I've had the game crash on me 2 times, but both those times are after I took a screenshot and checked it with the xbox button at the same time. The game doesn't like things overlayed on top I guess lol

tommib

I've had the game crash on me 2 times, but both those times are after I took a screenshot and checked it with the xbox button at the same time. The game doesn't like things overlayed on top I guess lol
I played it on xcloud and the only issues were streaming related. The game never crashed.

I'm only a few hours in and so far is alright. I'm a sucker for art directions and follow thru and they're definitely delivering on the HR Giger shit. If you're into that, you'll at the very least love the esthetic and atmosphere. So far not a lot of combat. I also had no idea this was a "puzzle" game. I could see someone giving this game a 3 or 4 if they've run into those major bugs, but not a bad game so far. I've luckily not run into any bugs yet, but I'm only a few hours in. I'll probably keep playing a little more to see whats up.

Last edited:
Game bugged out, character couldn't move but could aim and fire. Just finished the puzzle with 3 screens when it happened. Reloading put me back in the start of Act IV with all the combat. Going to just drop it at this point.

baphomet

I did have a really confusing glitch at the end of Act III. I made it to the elevator to leave to act IV and for some reason wasn't able to activate the elevator. Couldn't reload because I didn't feel like playing the entire level over again. Eventually it just let me activate it after about 25 minutes and having done nothing.

Just literally near the beginning. I will keep at it but I encountered a few devices now that don't seem to do anything. Cant tell if I'm missing stuff or should just come back later.

Just explore the area completely. There's no coming back later.

Last edited:
Just literally near the beginning. I will keep at it but I encountered a few devices now that don't seem to do anything. Cant tell if I'm missing stuff or should just come back later.
You need to go to a room with a big opening that has a bunch of pods on the walls. There are 2 devices one will grab the pod out and the other moves the pods around. That's all I'll say, the first puzzle imo was the most challenging one. After that you'll start figuring stuff out quicker.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, so far the very first puzzle in the game was the biggest head scratcher for me too. They just throw you in a semi-large area. It's been mostly straight forward after that.

If you are where I think you are, you need to find an elevator to go to an upper level and do a puzzle where you 'move things' on a grid.

Last edited:
Just finished playing the PC version via Game Pass. I enjoyed it. Really liked the world design as a fan of H.R. Giger. I enjoyed the puzzles that the game had to offer. I did find the checkpoint system very annoying and would have preferred manual saving. The combat wasn't the greatest especially when you have the jackhammer like weapon and taking on 2 ranged enemies with near impossible attacks to dodge due to the narrow corridors.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

FunkMiller

Had no motion sickness playing today, which is good.

Still so very much penis, though. With a side order of vagina.

Enjoying the atmosphere and design so far.

Had no motion sickness playing today, which is good.

Still so very much penis, though. With a side order of vagina.

Enjoying the atmosphere and design so far.

Yep, that's Giger design at work. It's art darling. Here have an eggplant emoji to kiddy it up and make it P.C. safe.

FluffShake

I tapped out as soon as the game confronts you with several enemies at once and the combat devolves to hiding behind objects while your slow ass gun regains TWO charges. Life's too short to torture myself with this tat.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played for about 2 hours, now at the start of Act III. I'm going very slow I think, always walking slow and taking in the atmosphere.

Not a "walking sim" kinda guy by any means but I'm really enjoying this one. Puzzles are cool, and the atmosphere and visual desing are just a 10/10.

My favorite part so far? Finding out that in soviet scorn, you don't recover your weapon, but your weapon recovers you!

Yeah, so far the very first puzzle in the game was the biggest head scratcher for me too. They just throw you in a semi-large area. It's been mostly straight forward after that.

If you are where I think you are, you need to find an elevator to go to an upper level and do a puzzle where you 'move things' on a grid.
Yeah it's a bit too much for a first puzzle, but I enjoyed figuring it out and the "so, so thing goes there!" moments. Cool stuff.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a masochist so I fired it up again after I got over my pity party cause by that crash. Lo and behold I got stuck in geometry again lmao. This time it was because one of those charging buggers hit me while I pressed fire near a med station. Got caught in a loop where the moment I stand up the game thinks I want to use the med station so I got stuck in place then the charger butts me again. Well, died pretty quickly and checkpoint wasn't so far back so wasn't so bad. At least it wasn't at the very start of the act.

Atmosphere for the final act is amazing. There's certainly a story there but the game ain't spoonfeeding it to you.
zTtjQH9.jpg

IZMRA2v.jpg

Overall, I'd say that it's a 6/10. I'd have bump it up to 7/10 if it wasn't for the combat though I do admit that the final combat scenario was pretty tense. Honestly I don't mind the bugs, only got two during the 4.5 hours it took to finish, I just didn't like the idea of having to redo the combat sections to get back the progress I lost. Puzzles are pretty simple. The only puzzle that required some thought are the light node puzzles in Act III. Ultimately, I'm glad I sucked it up and kept on going but don't really see myself touching it again. Memorable for the art direction at least.

meech

I give you a small hint. Go up and make the puzzle there first( The "shining stones", two(there are only two of them of them have to be put in a specific position). I was irrated here to.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I had to quit game but i can't even tell where i'm going to pop up since there's absolutely no indications that it saved or to see in the load screen where it last saved. I mean cmon.. That should be patched.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What athought provoking game....I loved it. Combat is shite....but man...its on that returnal level for me where you want to decipher your own meaning for what all of this madness stands for.

Deffo Art in that respect, a few of the last vistas are mind blowing I'd love to make a spoiler thread to discuss but I get there will be only a few people interested.

Fuck it I'm doing it.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Played the first three hours, hated the combat, then I restarted the game to get the first achievement since I missed it, but by doing that I carried over an understanding of how combat works, and the combat ended up playing out a lot better/ I wasn't left with frustratingly low levels of ammo or health.

The game really suffers at points for not explaining its systems well, at least in regards to those initial combat encounters. Understanding that you need to hit and run is kind of essential, and with the awful checkpoints (which could have allowed to gain a feel for the combat) it doesn't balance well, especially considering the first third of the game is combatless.

Having finished the game now the only real issue I have now is the ending, which I guess is in line with the games cynicism but its still disappointing and abrupt. I'd give it a 8/10 as a game, but a 10/10 in terms of uniqueness and as an experience.

SZips

This might have been one of the worst games I ever played. The only redeeming parts of the game include:
  • The rare times where the visuals impressed me (in between the mostly similar looking corridors that made up 90% of every area).
  • Parts of the sound design.
  • When it ended.
Everything else was just trash. It wasn't fun. It was anti-fun. It sucked fun out of me. And I'm someone that adores games like Dear Esther, Firewatch, and What Remains of Edith Finch. In fact, I would have preferred if they removed the combat, that I can best describe as clumsy at best and infuriating at worst. Total play time might've only been an hour long though when it wasn't padded with terrible enemy encounters, and a shit checkpoint system.

There was so much potential behind this whole Giger-esque world and aesthetic and the result just feels so squandered with this game.

Played for about 2 hours, now at the start of Act III. I'm going very slow I think, always walking slow and taking in the atmosphere.

Not a "walking sim" kinda guy by any means but I'm really enjoying this one. Puzzles are cool, and the atmosphere and visual desing are just a 10/10.

My favorite part so far? Finding out that in soviet scorn, you don't recover your weapon, but your weapon recovers you!

Yeah it's a bit too much for a first puzzle, but I enjoyed figuring it out and the "so, so thing goes there!" moments. Cool stuff.
The final act in my opinion is the best. It floored me with atmosphere, visuals and ambient music. You'll know it when you get there. Let me know your thoughts after!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
carl-winslow-confused.gif

10-15-2022_11-16-54_pe8dvb.png

Fucking hell this game is often nightmare fuel.
What's crazy with that is what you do to it and it doesn't look at you with anger, I have this feeling it represents a mother. You literally destroy its body, lower parts and it just looks down at you with the same look, almost like a mother looking at its small child. Shit is crazy.
The final act in my opinion is the best. It floored me with atmosphere, visuals and ambient music. You'll know it when you get there. Let me know your thoughts after!

Totally agree, definitely peaks at the end. The journey to there and the incredible design is brilliant.

Praydog is working on a Universal Unreal engine VR injector and this using UE4 soooo

Pop Tv Chance GIF by One Day At A Time

Edit: oh well, it already works

I literally posted earlier in the thread this would be great for VR and yup...that looks amazing.

Just finished the game about an hour ago. It's definitely not a game for everyone, it's creepy and weird as shxt(I love the audio so much..turn it up on your system(s)! ), and it's absolutely beautiful. My playtime was 5 hours and 36 minutes.

Cryio

The game is so small scale, so simple in it's elements (it's mostly static geometry with a few movable objects). It's just your typical Unreal 4 game, no RT.

It's also extremely post-process heavy and it's using TAA. This could've had FSR2 or FSR1 on consoles and you CAN NOT TELL a difference in resolution.

The game's optimization is excellent btw. It doesn't have any fancy particles, tons of shadows, no crazy tessellation and even the texture are just ok.

This would've run at 1080p30 on both Xbox One and PS4 on Day 1.

I'm getting like 1440p120 on a 5700 XT, without FSR2 enabled. The FSR2 implementation in this game is superb btw. Both for visuals and performance.

yamaci17

Played for about 40 minutes, and I haven't felt this dumb in a while. :/

Great art direction though.
thats what the game wants to achieve I guess

make you feel desperate, put you in the shoes of that protagonist! if you were him, in actual life, you would exactly feel that way. lost and unguided. on a desolate place...

Comandr

Just finished this last night. Right about 4 hours. Pretty short. Combat sucks. You have such little ammo and your dick punch gun is terrible unless you can hit the perfect spot and dark souls crit them for a one shot.

Visually and thematically, the game is beautiful. A real achievement. The game begs nothing but questions and offers almost no answers. I really appreciated that there is not one single word in the game.

The puzzles were pretty good. Nothing too hard. The only one that fucked me up was the flying battery inserty one. Took me forever to find the punch gun to move on.

The final chapter offers so many questions. Who am I? What is this place? How did I get here? How did society get like this? There is a lot of visual story telling if you’re VERY observant. Much of the story is implied or inferred. That said, I found the ending to be a real kick in the nuts.

TL;DR: An achievement in visual and sound design. The definition of creepy. What little story there is, culminates in almost zero payoff. Not worth the price tag. Play it on game pass.

Ulysses 31

The final chapter offers so many questions. Who am I? What is this place? How did I get here? How did society get like this? There is a lot of visual story telling if you’re VERY observant. Much of the story is implied or inferred. That said, I found the ending to be a real kick in the nuts.

TL;DR: An achievement in visual and sound design. The definition of creepy. What little story there is, culminates in almost zero payoff. Not worth the price tag. Play it on game pass.
What some people on steam speculate is the story:
The environmental story telling does a pretty good job of explaining things. From what I can gather based on what the game shows us, an advanced civilisation was wiped out by an infection/parasite that was able to take root in/originated from their technology. As it spread, the survivors opened a gateway to someplace else and transferring their minds into new bodies to traverse into it (you control two of these bodies while trying to access the Rift). The Parasite (which has been tormenting you most of the game, and is depicted in some of the murals in the Palace) evidently does NOT want anyone else escaping, and as such recaptures you and makes you a part of itself.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I'm legit surprised Digital Foundry haven't looked at the game yet. This should definitely get mentions in art/graphics categories in the end-of-year awards.
I'll admit the visuals are extremely impressive...the gameplay is extremely divisive though, which might detract from the game getting its graphical recognition...or not. Should be interesting to see how the industry treats this game

Comandr

What some people on steam speculate is the story

The environmental story telling does a pretty good job of explaining things. From what I can gather based on what the game shows us, an advanced civilisation was wiped out by an infection/parasite that was able to take root in/originated from their technology. As it spread, the survivors opened a gateway to someplace else and transferring their minds into new bodies to traverse into it (you control two of these bodies while trying to access the Rift). The Parasite (which has been tormenting you most of the game, and is depicted in some of the murals in the Palace) evidently does NOT want anyone else escaping, and as such recaptures you and makes you a part of itself.
I believe the parasite is you. Or rather, the you from the first act. After completing the flying battery puzzle it explodes and you fall over like a little bitch only to see ooze over take you. The very next scene we have is you(?) coming out of a … womb for lack of better term. Your hands are different. Your feet are different. This is a different entity. It’s not long into your journey that you discover the parasite creepin around. When he finally does take you, you instantly have your dick punch gun back. The old you/parasite never let it go. This is even further evidenced during the removal scene where you can see part of a face on the back of the parasite. Part of the old you is still in there? This only leads to more questions. Why? What was that ooze shit? What is the parasite trying to achieve? At the end it just seems to grow and root into a grotesque tree of some kind. To what end? We haven’t even touched on the uh… ant enemies that spit acid. They seemed to be forming some kind of super structure with their bodies and the further down you go, the more progress you see to that end. All of this culminates in a feeling that we aren’t getting the whole story. There’s something we haven’t seen yet. If there is any kind of story dlc down the line, I’d like to explore to that end. It feels like we were playing a weird version of the Aliens movie backwards. You start in the hive, and work your way out to the less infected area only to be ganked by some butthole right before you escape. But we never got to see the queen.

Foilz

Banned
I'm playing on series x right now and so far I'm about 1 hour into the game. The sound, atmosphere and visuals are great. The gameplay is boring as fuck! Because of the visual and atmosphere design of the game (which I love) the game is very dull and unexciting. Imagine an Amazon.com warehouse looking like a ship from Prometheus and then walking around that for hours. You even get a shopping cart 😁.

Then you get to go outside which is breathtaking dreary devoid of life/color.

I'm glad this game is on gamepass because there's no way I could justify paying full price for it. But also Thank you Jesus for game pass for allowing me to play games I would feel guilty about wasting my hard earned money on.

acm2000

I believe the parasite is you. Or rather, the you from the first act. After completing the flying battery puzzle it explodes and you fall over like a little bitch only to see ooze over take you. The very next scene we have is you(?) coming out of a … womb for lack of better term. Your hands are different. Your feet are different. This is a different entity. It’s not long into your journey that you discover the parasite creepin around. When he finally does take you, you instantly have your dick punch gun back. The old you/parasite never let it go. This is even further evidenced during the removal scene where you can see part of a face on the back of the parasite. Part of the old you is still in there? This only leads to more questions. Why? What was that ooze shit? What is the parasite trying to achieve? At the end it just seems to grow and root into a grotesque tree of some kind. To what end? We haven’t even touched on the uh… ant enemies that spit acid. They seemed to be forming some kind of super structure with their bodies and the further down you go, the more progress you see to that end. All of this culminates in a feeling that we aren’t getting the whole story. There’s something we haven’t seen yet. If there is any kind of story dlc down the line, I’d like to explore to that end. It feels like we were playing a weird version of the Aliens movie backwards. You start in the hive, and work your way out to the less infected area only to be ganked by some butthole right before you escape. But we never got to see the queen.

its about the fight for survival from pregnancy to birth: you are a twin in the womb, the twin is dying and trying to take you with it (infection and the like) so surgical intervention is needed to try save the remaining baby, as you and the mother are fighting for life, at the end you try to escape from the womb but fail. Mother and both babies die. The reason for the sci-fi view of the world is as a embyro everything is alien.

Last edited:
Another example of good visuals and bad gameplay. Despite being a blatant Giger rip off, the visuals are quite nice and the puzzles are ok, if a little slow and boring. Then something comes out from the darkness, something that nobody wants in this game. Shit combat. Why is it even here? It's so bad. Totally drags it down. Multiple enemies in tight corridors with one of the worst weapons I've ever used in a game. Yikes. I'm not sure I can persist with this when there's plenty more games out there that I would rather play.

Corpsepyre

Banned
thats what the game wants to achieve I guess

make you feel desperate, put you in the shoes of that protagonist! if you were him, in actual life, you would exactly feel that way. lost and unguided. on a desolate place...

Dunno, I probably would have sat out a big-ass puzzle right after waking up.

Bartski

Gold Member
its about the fight for survival from pregnancy to birth: you are a twin in the womb, the twin is dying and trying to take you with it (infection and the like) so surgical intervention is needed to try save the remaining baby, as you and the mother are fighting for life, at the end you try to escape from the womb but fail. Mother and both babies die. The reason for the sci-fi view of the world is as a embyro everything is alien.
Trying to make sense of it in the other thread

Top Bottom