• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scream 2022

fart town usa

Gold Member
Didn't see a thread posted.

I'm going to see Scream (5) at 6:20 EST.

I'll post my thoughts after, read a huge spoiler in a comment on Bloody Disgusting but honestly wasn't too surprised at what it was. Obviously I won't say it but all the same, kinda shitty to have that aspect revealed.

Hopefully it doesn't suck!

ManaByte

I imagine there are going to be some people REALLY pissed off at one aspect of the movie without realizing that sort of reaction is exactly what the movie is making fun of.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My favorites are 1 & 3.

I didn't care for 2 all that much. Killers were lame and Jerry O'Connell. GTFOH, ha. 4 is fine but really forgettable for me. Lots of people hate 3 but I like how goofy is it, Parker Posey is awesome in it.

I also really liked the first 2 seasons of the MTV show. I usually hate stuff like that but it was super gory and I thought the writing was great.

No expectations for 5 really, mostly just going cause it's a horror movie.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seeing it in two hours here. I adored 1, 2, and 4. Really hated 3.

I have heard nothing but great things on 5 so I am excited.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Holy balls, what in the hell did I just watch? lol

That shit was seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen in terms of Hollywood films. Truly stunning that this movie was green lit and released to theaters.

For the sake of comparison cause it's another recent film that felt incoherent and laughably bad, I thought Welcome to Raccoon City was one of the worst films ever produced by Hollywood but I also thought it was entertaining and it had a nice mood and tone to it. The incoherent stuff was funny too, Journey blaring in Chief Irons car, Claire wearing a football helmet, the flaming zombie walking towards Leon. All things that made me say, "what the fuck is going on?" But I was smiling and felt entertained.

Scream 5 was just really awful to me across the board. Bad cinematography, bad score, script was bad and predictable, terrible pacing, no suspense. I'm honestly really shocked at how bad this movie missed the mark.

If you like it, power to ya. I think the Scream franchise is dead for good now. I could see it coming back as a TV series that isn't related to the film universe but for theatrical films, I think it's over and if it isn't I've truly lost all interest.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

That shit was seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen in terms of Hollywood films. Truly stunning that this movie was green lit and released to theaters.

For the sake of comparison cause it's another recent film that felt incoherent and laughably bad, I thought Welcome to Raccoon City was one of the worst films ever produced by Hollywood but I also thought it was entertaining and it had a nice mood and tone to it. The incoherent stuff was funny too, Journey blaring in Chief Irons car, Claire wearing a football helmet, the flaming zombie walking towards Leon. All things that made me say, "what the fuck is going on?" But I was smiling and felt entertained.

Scream 5 was just really awful to me across the board. Bad cinematography, bad score, script was bad and predictable, terrible pacing, no suspense. I'm honestly really shocked at how bad this movie missed the mark.

If you like it, power to ya. I think the Scream franchise is dead for good now. I could see it coming back as a TV series that isn't related to the film universe but for theatrical films, I think it's over and if it isn't I've truly lost all interest.
Baffling how bad it is.

Main stream audiences are gonna eat it up because "nostalgia" and "call backs."

fart town usa

Gold Member
Baffling how bad it is.

Main stream audiences are gonna eat it up because "nostalgia" and "call backs."
Funny too cause that's what Scream is, it's just call backs and clever references.

This movie just did not feel like a Scream film at all, but it was clear that they were trying really hard to and the script itself acknowledges that they were trying hard to make it feel like a Scream film. People saying this is the best sequel in the franchise?! lol. I don't think any of the sequels are classics but they're all entertaining and match the style that the first movie laid out.

If the underlying goal of the meta-aspect was to make a legit shitty movie while also convincing certain viewers that it's a good film, well then they succeeded in spades. lol

I was thinking too of what a fan edit could do, you could adjust the colors a bit to give it some atmosphere, cut about 20-40 minutes out to improve the pacing, but you'd still be left with the awful characters and script. No salvaging this movie, just a bad film.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Funny too cause that's what Scream is, it's just call backs and clever references.

This movie just did not feel like a Scream film at all, but it was clear that they were trying really hard to and the script itself acknowledges that they were trying hard to make it feel like a Scream film. People saying this is the best sequel in the franchise?! lol. I don't think any of the sequels are classics but they're all entertaining and match the style that the first movie laid out.

If the underlying goal of the meta-aspect was to make a legit shitty movie while also convincing certain viewers that it's a good film, well then they succeeded in spades. lol

I was thinking too of what a fan edit could do, you could adjust the colors a bit to give it some atmosphere, cut about 20-40 minutes out to improve the pacing, but you'd still be left with the awful characters and script. No salvaging this movie, just a bad film.
Without doing a deep dive into Scream and it's sequels that would result in a book being written by me, I feel like the directors/writers just didn't quite "get it."

Yes, scream is all about referencing other things in the genre and poking fun at it.

But it does so while also trying to craft clever ways around those tropes that make it make sense within their Universe.

Like you said, unless their goal was to make a bad movie, their whole 10 minute breakdown of the "requel" was extremely tone deaf as they didn't even try to do anything clever with the tropes they were making fun of.

Don't even get me started on Loomis.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not sure what movie y'all watched, but I fucking loved Scream 5. Fantastic film. Lots of fun callbacks while still taking the piss on modern Hollywood films. I adored that they mocked all sides with the meta commentary. From the dipshit teens/young adults who do terrible shit to "feel like a part of something" to the horribly toxic fanbases that you see in communities like Steven Universe and Star Wars.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who hate the film got triggered because they thought it was talking about them.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not sure what movie y'all watched, but I fucking loved Scream 5. Fantastic film. Lots of fun callbacks while still taking the piss on modern Hollywood films. I adored that they mocked all sides with the meta commentary. From the dipshit teens/young adults who do terrible shit to "feel like a part of something" to the horribly toxic fanbases that you see in communities like Steven Universe and Star Wars.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who hate the film got triggered because they thought it was talking about them.
I felt like the film was just talking about itself but trying to be clever about it. Didn't work at all for me. I'm not familiar with the die-hard Scream community so I wouldn't be able to recognize what that crowd could have been triggered by. I'm familiar with the films and enjoy them but the 1st one is the one I've watched the most. I've only seen 2-4 maybe 2-3 times each.

Glad you liked it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I felt like the film was just talking about itself but trying to be clever about it. Didn't work at all for me. I'm not familiar with the die-hard Scream community so I wouldn't be able to recognize what that crowd could have been triggered by. I'm familiar with the films and enjoy them but the 1st one is the one I've watched the most. I've only seen 2-4 maybe 2-3 times each.

Glad you liked it.

Not quite. There were three levels I saw. One was as you said, it was talking about itself - nothing to great each film did that as well but like the others, it also had other meanings. Clear spoilers for the movie below!

The second level was the mocking of Hollywood's complete lack of originality. Much like the first film, Halloween is mentioned often and referenced. A film that tries to repeat what the original did while bringing back original cast members, but not diverging *too* much from that original concept. Hence why we return to the original house. We return to having two killers. We return to numerous scenes that were nearly shot for shot the same (the scene with the girl laughing at Stab while ghostface appears behind is a perfect on-the-nose example).

Then you have the third level which I felt was the most obvious. Mocking of fans and fan expectations. The entire reason for these killings was due to die-hard fans getting incredibly pissed at a very very bad sequel (Stab 8) and being referred to by the press as being toxic, crazy, mental, etc. A film that was also shown to be very off the wall, very "different" and one that generally wasn't liked by most. We can clearly see this today with numerous franchises such as Star Wars, Avatar, Steven Universe, Voltron, etc. Where fans went *nuts* and threatened, whined, etc on the internet and in person. However, so too did the directors, actors, etc insult the fanbase (even ones not related to the more... aggressive minority). This was shown in a few scenes, albeit it quite briefly.

So with the two killers, we have one being the older, life-long fan and a younger teen who actively stated that their hostility/vitriol/anger was all because she "wanted to be a part of something". This is a biting commentary on the mentally ill twitter groups on *both* sides. This is why I really enjoyed the film probably more than others. It didn't simply say "lol look at those [star wars] fans who hate Last Jedi! Aren't they just so awful?!" like so many lesser directors and writers would have. They mock everyone. They mock the fans who didn't care for the movie changes, they mock the directors/writers for clearly jumping the shark. They mock the younger generation for jumping on hate-trains with little knowledge just so they can feel like they are attributing to something.

As for the "triggered" portion, I feel that some folks will just see the parallels to mocking of fans like Star Wars and not the numerous other facets.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not quite. There were three levels I saw. One was as you said, it was talking about itself - nothing to great each film did that as well but like the others, it also had other meanings. Clear spoilers for the movie below!

The second level was the mocking of Hollywood's complete lack of originality. Much like the first film, Halloween is mentioned often and referenced. A film that tries to repeat what the original did while bringing back original cast members, but not diverging *too* much from that original concept. Hence why we return to the original house. We return to having two killers. We return to numerous scenes that were nearly shot for shot the same (the scene with the girl laughing at Stab while ghostface appears behind is a perfect on-the-nose example).

Then you have the third level which I felt was the most obvious. Mocking of fans and fan expectations. The entire reason for these killings was due to die-hard fans getting incredibly pissed at a very very bad sequel (Stab 8) and being referred to by the press as being toxic, crazy, mental, etc. A film that was also shown to be very off the wall, very "different" and one that generally wasn't liked by most. We can clearly see this today with numerous franchises such as Star Wars, Avatar, Steven Universe, Voltron, etc. Where fans went *nuts* and threatened, whined, etc on the internet and in person. However, so too did the directors, actors, etc insult the fanbase (even ones not related to the more... aggressive minority). This was shown in a few scenes, albeit it quite briefly.

So with the two killers, we have one being the older, life-long fan and a younger teen who actively stated that their hostility/vitriol/anger was all because she "wanted to be a part of something". This is a biting commentary on the mentally ill twitter groups on *both* sides. This is why I really enjoyed the film probably more than others. It didn't simply say "lol look at those [star wars] fans who hate Last Jedi! Aren't they just so awful?!" like so many lesser directors and writers would have. They mock everyone. They mock the fans who didn't care for the movie changes, they mock the directors/writers for clearly jumping the shark. They mock the younger generation for jumping on hate-trains with little knowledge just so they can feel like they are attributing to something.

As for the "triggered" portion, I feel that some folks will just see the parallels to mocking of fans like Star Wars and not the numerous other facets.
Word, nice write up. Glad you were able to dig in and enjoy aspects of the movie.

Didn't work on me but it's all good. I loved Halloween Kills and that movie was trashed to high heavens, lol. No worries though, different strokes for different folks.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Word, nice write up. Glad you were able to dig in and enjoy aspects of the movie.

Didn't work on me but it's all good. I loved Halloween Kills and that movie was trashed to high heavens, lol. No worries though, different strokes for different folks.

Yep. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but also glad you enjoyed Halloween Kills. Was a fun time!

Ozarkx

Banned

“Scream: Resurrections.”

MGHA

The writing was absolutely terrible, and don't get me started on the acting and directing. Equally terrible, and the camera work was the worst I'd seen in any movie ever! Also the editing was atrocious! Why did they green light this trash?! I also hated all the fonts in the film. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

At the end of the movie I stood up in the theater, glared at everyone, shrugged and said, "Welp, it was a movie!" and walked out and demanded my usual refill of popcorn before heading to my car

Haven't watched it, yet, but from what I've heard, I'm guessing it's another Resurrections. Mocks the tropes of recent films, just as an attempt to shield the film from doing the exact same things. Fortunately, it seems people aren't putting up with that kind of crap recently. Resurrections flopped and we'll have to see how Scream performs.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was quite excited by the good early reviews until I saw the comparisons to Resurrections.

Maybe it can do what that fetid heap was trying to do better, who knows - the fact that people are really divided on it is more exciting than everyone parroting the same thing so, so I'm really interested to see this.

I feel like I would have enjoyed this more if they had the balls to be actually meta and not just go up their ass with references.

If the main girl who was hallucinating the Scream 1 killer was pinned as the murder suspect and got her life ruined, by the two killers, and actually killing Courtney Cox and everyone. Instead it goes nowhere and it feels like they did not have the balls to do it. Which is a shame cause you could have built a Part 2 where she gets out crazed and hunts down the two previous killers from this movie.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I agree with everything you said about the requel info dump scene. It's very clear in my eyes they were trying to do. But this isn't new for scream and they do nothing with it's comparisons to the current state of movies.

Scream does the same mocking and parallels in every movie. Randy did it in the first 3 and 4 had the scene in the after school movie club.

But it always does that and then spins it into their own variation.

This didn't do anything to stand out. It missed the point completely. It recycles content, like the final act, but it does it for the sake of being able to do the Leo meme and point at the screen. It forgot to do something new and spin it in a smart way.

It falls into the very thing it's making fun of. A requel which has no new ideas and tries to pander to the audiences by recycling ideas and character. The very thing it says that causing the rifts between fans and directors. (Last Jedi, force awakens, ghost busters, matrix etc)

The entire point of scream is to talk about the industry, do tropes and literally tell you what it's making fun of but try to do it better. It wasn't always successful at doing it but it always tried.

The killers motives are very weak and don't stand out compared to what it's trying to remake. That's the biggest flaw in my eyes but there's a list of others.

I think you could also argue Scream 4 also already did a very similar story and did it better. Especially the final act.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So I hear that
Kirby (Hayden Panettiere) is still alive, she is referenced but not actually in the film

TGO

Scream mocking Hollywood isn't new.
Heck Scream 3 did the whole Harvey Weinstein/metoo
And that was a Weinstein film
It mocking toxic fandom isn't surprising, fans or people in general have become been a lot more vocal about everything.
And while they are right about most things they do over do it.
I seen YouTubers that was just film reviews and now just bitch and bitch about everything.
I understand they are tired of it, but it starts to become ugly after a while.
Just give the film a low score and move on.
Now I heard the film is a bit woke.
I'm guessing because one of the killers is a lesbian girl and it's not believable

ManaByte

I seen YouTubers that was just film reviews and now just bitch and bitch about everything.

Everyone wants to be RLM. They hit it big with their Phantom Menace video, so now every YouTube channel thinks if they endlessly shit on a movie they'll hit it big like they did.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

fart town usa

Gold Member
It mocking toxic fandom isn't surprising, fans or people in general have become been a lot more vocal about everything.
I'm guessing because one of the killers is a lesbian girl and it's not believable
The only "woke" aspect I noticed was the representation in the character demographics.

But that aspect honestly wasn't an issue for me. It was just really noticeable cause it's like they went out of their way to capture the vibe of a google or Microsoft ad.
8b1648fb.png

This guy's video captured my feelings of the movie.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The only "woke" aspect I noticed was the representation in the character demographics.

But that aspect honestly wasn't an issue for me. It was just really noticeable cause it's like they went out of their way to capture the vibe of a google or Microsoft ad.
8b1648fb.png

This guy's video captured my feelings of the movie.

On his twist on a twist point I actually thought it was going to be that this was actually a reboot of Stab and not Scream. I thought this simply by the way it was shot and acted. But i clearly was way off

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Pretty much. YouTube will be a dumpster fire next week.

Given some of the folks here (talking about GAF in general, not this particular thread), I would not be surprised. Too many people enter in with these heavy expectations, whether expecting the movie to be shit or to be better than the original. Either that or a single out of context scene triggers them and they dismiss everything. I have been there, I used to be one of those kinds of people and then I grew up and stopped watching reactionaries on youtube and focused on how *I* felt during the film.

Made my life so much better.

But then there are also those who have zero taste and like anything and everything that comes out. There needs to be a balance.

The "lesbian" scene is literally 5 seconds long and is no different than any typical horny teenager scene in any previous horror flick. It is never in your face and the character is a character first and lesbian second. If it was woke, then her entire character would be that she is a lesbian first.

NO CLAUS NO!!!!

:( I live in the midwest. That is normal language in my area!

Last edited:

TGO

Seen it thursday.

1 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 4

IMO. But I enjoy all of them.
I thought 4 was solid, if it's better then 4 that's fine.
The only thing I worry about is the characters don't seem to stand out much compared to previous entries.
Your legacy cast are pretty much your stand outs.
Previous Screams seemed anybody who is anybody wanted in on it, I've no clue who most of the new cast are.

TGO

It toppled Spider-Man.

I'm kinda glad it was Scream that did it but kinda sad that based on this thread..it don't deserve it.
Guess I have to wait until I've seen it to judge for myself.
I heard people bitch about one the killers being unbelievable and it's woke because of it, but Scream 2 had Billy's mother & 4 had Emma Roberts so...

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
On his twist on a twist point I actually thought it was going to be that this was actually a reboot of Stab and not Scream. I thought this simply by the way it was shot and acted. But i clearly was way off
I did too

Like 20-30 minutes into the movie I thought there was going to be a credit sequence showing that what we had been watching was a Stab movie and then the actual movie would start.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Given some of the folks here (talking about GAF in general, not this particular thread), I would not be surprised. Too many people enter in with these heavy expectations, whether expecting the movie to be shit or to be better than the original. Either that or a single out of context scene triggers them and they dismiss everything. I have been there, I used to be one of those kinds of people and then I grew up and stopped watching reactionaries on youtube and focused on how *I* felt during the film.

Made my life so much better.

But then there are also those who have zero taste and like anything and everything that comes out. There needs to be a balance.

The "lesbian" scene is literally 5 seconds long and is no different than any typical horny teenager scene in any previous horror flick. It is never in your face and the character is a character first and lesbian second. If it was woke, then her entire character would be that she is a lesbian first.

Yea, the movie isn't woke. I feel like if people are claiming that it's woke, they are the type of movie goer who will try to find anything to be triggered and outraged by.

TGO

Tyrone Magnus said it was Woke

But he wasn't referring to any lesbian scenes
I called when I saw the trailer so I guess I was right that Amber is one of the Killers, but I haven't seen it yet
But I guess is his point is that it's not believable that she was responsible for everything in the film, but like I said Billy's Mom & Jill are the same

ManaByte

I called when I saw the trailer so I guess I was right that Amber is one of the Killers, but I haven't seen it yet
But I guess is his point is that it's not believable that she was responsible for everything in the film, but like I said Billy's Mom & Jill are the same

If Scream 2 and 4 were released now I'm sure he'd be saying the same thing because that makes $$$$ on YouTube with the outrage views it gets.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Just for some spoilers on the character who is supposedly "Woke"

Amber is literally a mockery of woke people. She literally states all the horrible things she did, all the misery and violence she comitted, was to because she "wanted to be a part of something". This is stuff that is literally stated by far-left slactkvists like ANTIFA. Claiming it is "woke" is idiocy.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Yea, I still don't think it was woke but I can see why some people might.

I can see a certain type of person seeing the demographics of the characters and then using that nitpick every aspect of the movie. I only reference the demographics because that's certainly a thing right now with entertainment, people are calling for representation. I'm fine with that, no issue, but in this movie it just stood out to me cause the characters all had a really unique look to them. It was distracting cause some of the characters have blood relations to OG characters, but they didn't resemble them at all and I honestly had a difficult time remembering their significance. It kinda brushed over that aspect, like it was clearly important to the plot but the script didn't really utilize it in an effective way. Again, not saying the demographic makeup is a bad thing, I'm not "that guy". I'm trying to walk a fine line and avoid being called a filthy racist. lol.

Like the blonde dude was obviously the son of the Sheriff. The brother and sister (maybe twins?), Randy is their Uncle (I think). The two sisters, I'm not sure what the whole dynamic was with their parents, the older sister I know for sure what the parent thing was but I think they're "half" siblings? And if that's the case, then why did the Dad abandon the younger sister? You'd think he'd just be mad at the mom for not being honest that he isn't the father of the oldest daughter. The girl with the purple hair, I'm not sure if she was related to anyone from prior films and the Amber girl, I'm not sure if she was related to the person who's house she lived in or if they just lived in the house.

The muscle car guy I heard was Stu's brother and if so, I completely missed that part of the script. I forgot that person was in the movie at all to be honest. After he died his scenes just completely left my mind as the movie kept playing.

The most fun I had with the movie was thinking back on prior films to try and figure out who Billy Loomis got pregnant in high school but that aspect of the story literally went nowhere. I thought that was going to be a big reveal.

The more I think about it, I could overlook all the issues I have with the filming and atmosphere if the script was solid, but the script just really dragged the whole thing down for me to a point where I really can't find anything redeeming about it.

But again, I'm happy for those who enjoy the movie!! Not trying to be overly negative, just sharing my thoughts.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Just for some spoilers on the character who is supposedly "Woke"

Amber is literally a mockery of woke people. She literally states all the horrible things she did, all the misery and violence she comitted, was to because she "wanted to be a part of something". This is stuff that is literally stated by far-left slactkvists like ANTIFA. Claiming it is "woke" is idiocy.
Maybe he misread it, if that's true then that's pretty awesome 😂

ManaByte

Maybe he misread it, if that's true then that's pretty awesome 😂

I don't think people misread things more often they deliberately misrepresent stuff in movies to generate outrage, which gets them views. Like the channels who did that with Shang-Chi (claiming it was woke because his sister trained for her entire life was able to fight him) and Hawkeye (again because it shows Kate Bishop training for her entire life and then being able to fight).

TGO

Well I got my 4K Steelbook pre-ordered already
Thanks for the info guys 👍
Jeremy like it so..it can't be that bad

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Aside from one scene at the hospital that pissed me off and some terrible dialogue, I had a lot of fun watching this. Wasn’t expecting the audience to cheer as much as they were towards the end.

Think my ranking as of now would be 1>2>5>4>3. I’ve enjoyed all of them though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Let's get everyone's rankings!

1>4>3>2>5 (personal)

1>2>4>3>5 (critical)

Last edited:
Top Bottom