• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life - Announcement Trailer

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can't wait for the Flying Dutchman to shred galleons and hearing the people cry on social media how it's unbalanced.

77e986f2507ff2cc805bb96885c192b2.gif

reinking

Gold Member
IMO. PoTC has been overdone in games. Hard for me to get excited about this. It is definitely not going to be enough for me to give SoT another try.

b0uncyfr0

This was weird, i really didint expect a PoTC collab but there's potential. If i want PoTC, ill just watch the damn movies. It seem's they didnt know what to do with the series and chose an easy ruote - just my 2c.

CeeJay

Looks like Rare are expanding on the merfolk lore with what looks like it might be a new world event, giant merfolk statue and underwater enemies. Did I also hear "seas of the dammed", new area with new islands and new enemies perhaps?

Havoc2049

This announcement kinda blew my mind. I knew Rare would have a fairly big SoT announcement this E3, but I didn't think it would be this big. I've been playing with some of the stuff shown in the trailer on the SoT insider build, but didn't see the Pirates of the Caribbean tie in. Lol at Depp in the cell with the dog segment from the PoTC ride.
Would be nice to have more of a story mode to follow, the current SoT is a little repetitive.
There is a nine chapter Tall Tale adventure and two more Tall Tale mini adventures, for a total of about 20+ hours of a story driven narrative.

Last edited:

Holammer

Haven't played the game and I'm not particularly interested, but it looked well made and fun.
If they ever make a Monkey Island crossover I might have to give it a try.

"I'm Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate!"

Relativ9

Rare deserves credit for actually getting Johnny Depp back when he's basically blacklisted in Hollywood.
Did they? I don't know, sounds kind of off too me, Davey Jones also sounds more like someone trying to do Bill Nighy than actually Bill Nighy himself...and they didn't put any voice credits in the trailer. I mean I guess it's probably them, they certainly look like them, I might be overthinking it.

Videospel

Did they? I don't know, sounds kind of off too me, Davey Jones also sounds more like someone trying to do Bill Nighy than actually Bill Nighy himself...and they didn't put any voice credits in the trailer. I mean I guess it's probably them, they certainly look like them, I might be overthinking it.
Yeah I would also be surprised if that was actually Johnny Depp. I would guess it's an impersonator.

Relativ9

I’d buy an XSS to play it. Looks last gen (PS3) in the videos…
It's a great game (if you're into these sort of coop sandboxes) with some surprisingly beautiful graphics at times, but yeah it owes a lot of that to a great and clever art-style, not necessarily technical fidelity. Most PC's can run it fine, and the controls are definitely more suitable to PC.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This coming from the guy who just called Rift Apart the greatest platformer ever made.

Which is true? Even non-gaming journalists are amazed by it. Just refresh your memory and see the critics and user reception:

You can say it's "your" GOTY, that's ok then.

Last edited:

elliot5

SoT is fantastic and this made me so fucking hyped. New tools, new enemy types, fucking Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones. 5 new tall tales. And coming out SO SOON

Last edited:

Roberts

Which is true? Even non-gaming journalists are amazed by it. Just refresh your memory and see the critics and user reception:

Listen, sometimes critics misunderstand or undervalue original games, just like they occasionally do with movies or music. It takes time to see the genius of particular work. Now, after a few years it has been out, it is clear that the game transcends a traditional idea of a video game. It is an unique experience and as such can be called a prime candidate for GOTG title.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Listen, sometimes critics misunderstand or undervalue original games, just like they occasionally do with movies or music. It takes time to see the genius of particular work. Now, after a few years it has been out, it is clear that the game transcends a traditional idea of a video game. It is an unique experience and as such can be called a prime candidate for GOTG title.

I gave you a like for your nice reply, but I don't really agree with you.

IDappa

I gave you a like for your nice reply, but I don't really agree with you.
Have you actually put a decent chunk of time into it?. For some reason I don't believe you have as you are pretty much only pro playstation. I don't play SoT much any more but it was legitimately one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had for a while in gaming, get a good crew together and you are bound to enjoy yourself. There's a reason why it is so popular.

Esppiral

Is this a single player story campaign? If so I am in if not... I can't stand online games

Last edited:

Fredrik

Is this content single player? That’s the only thing I want. Game looks awesome but I have no interest playing in an open world where a douchebag can crash my ship and steal my treasure at any time. Make a 10 hour single player campaign fully offline and I’ll be there day 1 🥳

elliot5

Is this content single player? That’s the only thing I want. Game looks awesome but I have no interest playing in an open world where a douchebag can crash my ship and steal my treasure at any time. Make a 10 hour single player campaign fully offline and I’ll be there day 1 🥳
It's 5 tall tales so it's soloable story content, but will still be part of the normal shared server experience.

You said Ratchet is one of the best platformers ever? WTF. It's barely a platformer. I wouldn't put it in the top 50.
Places way higher in the 3rd person shooter with light platforming genre though.

Mattyp

Gold Member
More hours have been put into SoT then will ever be put into R&C, more hours have been put into SoT than TLoU2.

But the gamergate journalists in general on metacritic who don’t seem to know how to actually play a game do know what’s best.

Paperboy

Given that it’s a collab with Disney it opens the door for a Monkey Island crossover too!!
I bet the developers would love to ger their hands on the Monkey Island license since they've said they were (heavily) inspired by that game series when creating Sea of Thieves.

CeeJay

Is this a single player story campaign? If so I am in if not... I can't stand online games
Sea of Thieves is ALWAYS online and anyone who has put some time into it wouldn't have it any other way. Seriously, you can play the game solo and never meet another player over the course of a session. You can choose to avoid other players or choose to engage them, you can be passive, you can be aggressive, you can be friendly, you can be foe. That is part of the enduring appeal of the game, you just never know what will happen when you see a ship on the horizon. Sea of Thieves is unique and I can't think of another game where you can choose to play PVE, PVP, go adventuring or play through some of the stories all together on the same server at the same time with other players doing their own thing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You said Ratchet is one of the best platformers ever? WTF. It's barely a platformer. I wouldn't put it in the top 50.
Places way higher in the 3rd person shooter with light platforming genre though.

What other platformer is better? NOTHING. Also check its genre on Metacritics in case you're confused.

Anyway, cheers.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Would prefer to play it single player. I think these guys could do a fantastic story driven single player game in this setting. The art style, humor, world design, all on point. Cool to see that it's a free update and out in just over a week? Wow this came out of nowhere! I'll give it a try for sure, but getting ganked after spending an hour and losing progress just because someone else is bored ... not my idea of fun. It's what drove me away from the game, and if that's still what the game is like then this will probably be a quick visit!

Top Bottom