• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life Showcase

elliot5

I have never played Sea of Thieves...is there still time to get into it?
Will I be able to understand what's going on?
This update looks amazing
Everyone starts off on the same foot and remains on that foot outside of the knowledge they learn just by playing, and the cosmetics they purchase. It's not like joining an MMO super late in the game and being overwhelmed with content or high level players. Give it a go, even solo! Or use the LFG feature to find crews, or go fully open crew (matchmaking). It's fun and this experience with POTC is instanced for the most part so you don't have to worry about PVP interruptions.

Joey.

Everyone starts off on the same foot and remains on that foot outside of the knowledge they learn just by playing, and the cosmetics they purchase. It's not like joining an MMO super late in the game and being overwhelmed with content or high level players. Give it a go, even solo! Or use the LFG feature to find crews, or go fully open crew (matchmaking). It's fun and this experience with POTC is instanced for the most part so you don't have to worry about PVP interruptions.

That was going to be my other question....
Can I really play this solo? Its good to hear there is a LFG feature.

Last edited:

elliot5

That was going to be my other question....
Can I really play this solo? Its good to hear there is a LFG feature.
The main game is always on a shared server so you WILL come across other players that may or may not engage you. It's also simply less fun to play solo, not that you can't have fun playing it if you get into the vibe and understand what the game offers.

The Pirates of the Caribbean stuff starts out on the shared server, but very shortly after beginning the tall tale you will sail through a portal that is instanced to only your crew (you). You won't worry about other pirates/players messing with you while in this POTC area.

ManaByte

DeaDPo0L84 DeaDPo0L84 and I did a Vault tonight. 20 chests:
Wzme6k9.jpg

Tomorrow I hit Pirate Legend.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I played a bit today, just getting back into the groove with some quests. I hadn't played for a while, so I didn't know GP Ultimate users can claim the Ocean Crawler bundle+10,000 gold through July 18th. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

"They came to us and were very complimentary about Sea of Thieves. They wanted to see if we were interested in doing something with... well, Pirates of the Caribbean was the obvious one, but they have other stuff too. And they left it in our court to go away and have a think about it."

Interesting quote in here about future Disney IPs. They left the door open to Rare to add more Disney IPs. Also interesting that Disney approached them about adding Disney IPs to the game.
Rare and Disney seem a match made in heaven.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The irony of me right before playing the update wishing for solo friendly / griefing-free modes and not even expecting it to happen anytime soon.. Surprises can sometimes be of the good kind :)

Disney own Monkey Island as well

Holy crap, the possibilities, that's arguably even a better match than Pirates of the C.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I'm going to go gangbusters on The Pirate's Life Tall Tales tommorow. Been holding off to play it with a friend and we both have a free day tomorrow.

I've been doing some open world events and I will say that Rare needs to chill on the respawn rates on these new enemies. When on an island doing just normal missions or other Tall Tales, it seems like you can't go 10 feet without running into the new enemies. It is starting to become annoying and makes other events that I used to enjoy, not that fun any more.

The irony of me right before playing the update wishing for solo friendly / griefing-free modes and not even expecting it to happen anytime soon.. Surprises can sometimes be of the good kind :)

Holy crap, the possibilities, that's arguably even a better match than Pirates of the C.
There's a Monkey Island Easter egg in the pirate's life update. So if anyone is fan of the series make sure you search around the town in the first tall tale.

Interfectum

Getting the hang of soloing this game, decided to try some matchmaking last night and... lol

First group of people I got in with they just tossed down fire balls or whatever the fuck that weapon is and burned our boat. After about 5 minutes of that 'fun' I bailed. Got into another match where the three pirates were decked out and I thought oh sweet here we go lets get some shit done, they locked me in the brig(?). I stayed in there for a bit to see if they'd let me out, learned how to play the guitar + choose a shanty. While doing that apparently they got into a fight with another boat and our ship was getting busted in. Water rose, I bailed. So it was a shitshow but a memorable one I guess. lol

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Reinstalled SoT. Haven't played it in quite a while, almost a year at least, but I played the shit out of the game for months straight before that though. If some of ya want to add me we can go sailing together. Gamertag same as GAF. Looking forward to playing with some of ya.

Salz01

I love the sound bites they used for the pirates theme park ride. But the point to point ”game” play, bores me to death. I can’t go on much further. I feel like there is a better game to be made with these assets. I can barely see why others have fun with this game, since its so bare bones. I can’t even call it a sandbox type game. I’m so disappointed with this title.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I love the sound bites they used for the pirates theme park ride. But the point to point ”game” play, bores me to death. I can’t go on much further. I feel like there is a better game to be made with these assets. I can barely see why others have fun with this game, since its so bare bones. I can’t even call it a sandbox type game. I’m so disappointed with this title.
Did you play solo? The game shines in multi-player.

But I do understand your point.
You either love SoT for its "no set roles" gameplay style or think it's mechanically empty.
That's how the game is, a create-your-own-experience type of game, if that makes sense.

You gave it a fair shot though, and that's cool. 👍

Salz01

Did you play solo? The game shines in multi-player.

But I do understand your point.
You either love SoT for its "no set roles" gameplay style or think it's mechanically empty.
That's how the game is, a create-your-own-experience type of game, if that makes sense.

You gave it a fair shot though, and that's cool. 👍
I played both. So before this update, I played a bit too. Managed a few quests etc. I can see it being better, if you have friends and just mess around. With this update I expected, or at least hoping, it was a tighter game play loop. It didn’t start too well, because right after talking to the beginning quest giver, I didn’t know where to go. Nothing is highlighted on the map. I eventually figured to go through the portal, big shiney in the sky. Only to go through it, but have nothing really happen till I ended up on the island.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in content for Sea of Thieves offers a whole lot to do, and while it can be buggy and a bit frustrating, it's still pretty fun.

Tying in with Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise, the expansion provides new stories to uncover that are both fairly delightful for fans of the films and the theme park attraction that spawned them, as well as big, involved new Sea of Thieves locations to explore.

Last edited:

raduque

I really wanted to like this game, but I was highly disappointed you couldn't sail and fight the ship solo, like in AC4:Black Flag. I don't like playing with other people, but I also have no interested in running back and forth from cannons to sails to helm.

Top Bottom