• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life Showcase

elliot5

If I start fresh is there a good tutorial about what to do, where to go, how to upgrade and what the 'trading companies' even are? I don't remember any of that when I played a couple years back for a couple hours.
There is a Maiden Voyage which will teach you how to do the basics of the game. I think it also guides you on how to start your first Gold Hoarders quest (a simple sail here, X marks the spot type thing). I would consult a youtube tutorial like from Captain Falcore or consult the SOT Wiki as a lot of stuff in-game isn't fully guided.

Xavier2337

Neo Member
Tried to play with friends while having gamepass, the game is beautiful but every time we played for maybe half an hour, there are some experienced dudes crashed us lol

SCB3

This is a massive QoL improvement for Solo players tbh

I know Private Instances and server go against the spirit of a Pirate game, but sometimes you just get players who just camp and ruin the several hours you may have played, it put off my wife and son for example from when Tall Tales had no checkpoints, we got griefed hard by a Ship of 4 when all we had were the quest items which they sailed off with causing us to have to redo the near 3 hours of the Tall Tale

I'd be fully ok with Tall Tales being its own mode tbh, I played most of Fallout 76 like that with a few month of its Premium stuff/Private server

Last edited:

WoodyStare

I only tried this game for about an hour before deleting because it seems to work best in coop, but I may give this new content a try.

It looks pretty!

Sea-of-Thieves-22-06-2021-13-44-50.png

anthony2690

Banned
Still 1/3 of the content it needs to be a full game.
Now that is a hot take...

The game has a huge wealth of content and plenty to do now.

At launch I would agree it was lacking, but they have massively enhanced the experience with meaningful content and it has brought the players in.

anthony2690

Banned
Played about 30 mins with my partner and really impressed with the expansion so far, we have been sidetracked trying to find a key for a optional locked door, and a key for douggs chest that I found to no avail so far.

Seems a lot more interesting/fleshed out than other tall tales so far, excellent music and atmosphere, and I think new locations help too, as they are not islands I've visited 100s of times :p

Can't wait to play more later! :D

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Played about 30 mins with my partner and really impressed with the expansion so far, we have been sidetracked trying to find a key for a optional locked door, and a key for douggs chest that I found to no avail so far.

Seems a lot more interesting/fleshed out than other tall tales so far, excellent music and atmosphere, and I think new locations help too, as they are not islands I've visited 100s of times :p

Can't wait to play more later! :D
Alright, i'm sold.

Dr.Morris79

I wouldn't say dog shit but if you play it solo from the beginning it won't be a good experience. Solo is good when you've experienced the fun of playing as a crew and just want to relax a bit and progress on your own.
After reading some of the replies about this expansion Elliot i'll jump in, again!

DeaDPo0L84

ManaByte ManaByte I accepted your friend invite by the way, should be on in a bit, updating now. I do have some errands to run but then I'll be down to play pretty much most of the day.

DeaDPo0L84

Cool I'm running Devils Thirst Hoarders runs today. So you'll get a trial by fire.
Sorry for not joining you, was doing the intro quest to the new dlc and had a guy show up to do some work around the house now have to leave to take care of the errands I mentioned. But when you see me back on I'll be on for a good few hours so hit me up, so far loving the new content!

I’ll be downloading this to give it a try tonight. I just started the base game last weekend.

Anyone have any idea how long this new expansion is?

CeeJay

Tried to play with friends while having gamepass, the game is beautiful but every time we played for maybe half an hour, there are some experienced dudes crashed us lol
If you don't want fights with other crews then you have to play very defensively. Keep looking at the horizon and don't ignore any player ships you see, keep track of where they are going and use cover to evade them. If you go onto an island leave someone back to keep an eye on the ship and the horizon. Don't let those other ships get anywhere near you in the first place. If they are definitely coming towards you then get out on the open water and mobile, don't get caught by them with your anchor down and stood still. Use the wind to your advantage, get up wind of those player ships and stay there so they cant easily get to you.

Number one rule, prioritise your attention on other player ships above everything else.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is going to be awesome. I feel energized to get back into the game there's so much to do now in the game compared to when I was playing this around launch, then sporadically afterwards.

elliot5

Ah I'm sorry, I meant without having to do the PVP bit.
Only this expansion, when you're through the portal. It's a brand new take on the game though, so maybe Rare does this more often with future expansions and content, where your crew is uninterrupted by others. They will always want to keep that emergent gameplay and social interaction, so I imagine it will be for special scenarios. But I welcome it for this!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
In don't really like Pirates of the Caribbean, in fact is go as far as to say I dislike it. But I really enjoyed Sea of Thieves and I'm quite looking forward to jumping back in for what looks like a more focused experience.

I fucking love the art style of this game.

The one game I didn't get a chance to try out on Series S but probably should have.

This game has tremendous legs.
Yep. I really didn't expect this game to have this much staying power. So far all I've ever seen is this game having a consistently high player count online.
Good for Rare and Xbox. We need more games like this.

Last edited:

ManaByte

So this expansion hit me kind of emotionally, which I didn't expect. I've been a Disneyland AP for almost 20 years before COVID shut down the parks and the AP program. I'd go at least once a month if not more, and I'd ride POTC every time. That ride was awesome in the summer since it's 18 minutes sitting down in AC. The last time I was there was last February right before COVID shut everything down. So I haven't ridden the ride in over fifteen months. But this expansion uses the audio and music from the ride in a sort of walk-through version (which the ride originally was before they decided on the boat ride). This little Pirate PVP game was giving a virtual POTC ride complete with these sounds that I know so well that I've missed so much. Again, I really hope Rare gets the music tracks up soon (they tend to be good with that).

DeaDPo0L84

Potentially dumb question but is it possible to be put in groups doing much later parts of the new content? I've only just started and like joining groups but would hate to get spoiled on what's to come.

Finished the first 3 chapters tonight. Chapter 2 was a lil frustrating in parts. Missing 2 journals in chapter 3 so far. I think they are in the bayou but I'm not too sure. Loving the feeling of playing a proper campaign.

However, the Aim Down Sights bug is driving me nuts!

Last edited:
Holy shit the Tall Tales are so good. Best POTC game by far.

Rare better get the soundtrack out fast.

oh man this is killing me. I’m away at our cabin for a week but I’m holding steadfast in NOT playing this on my One X which I have set up here. Weird to say considering the One X was considered a BEAST not too long ago.

Im back in the city, and back with my Series X (with its sweet 60/120fps) on Friday. Need to keep way from spoilers until then.😬

Love seeing SoT getting the attention it deserves right now. I think it’s gonna be a Top 5 all time game for me by the end of its life.

"They came to us and were very complimentary about Sea of Thieves. They wanted to see if we were interested in doing something with... well, Pirates of the Caribbean was the obvious one, but they have other stuff too. And they left it in our court to go away and have a think about it."

Interesting quote in here about future Disney IPs. They left the door open to Rare to add more Disney IPs. Also interesting that Disney approached them about adding Disney IPs to the game.

Javthusiast

Banned

"They came to us and were very complimentary about Sea of Thieves. They wanted to see if we were interested in doing something with... well, Pirates of the Caribbean was the obvious one, but they have other stuff too. And they left it in our court to go away and have a think about it."

Interesting quote in here about future Disney IPs. They left the door open to Rare to add more Disney IPs. Also interesting that Disney approached them about adding Disney IPs to the game.

Moana? Little Mermaid?

Joey.

I have never played Sea of Thieves...is there still time to get into it?
Will I be able to understand what's going on?
This update looks amazing

Top Bottom