• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves had 4.8 million active players online in June

nemiroff

Gold Member
I’m glad for Rare’s success but I’m still sad about what games they make. Game doesn’t look good esp. as a massive multiplayer game which doesn’t interest me.

It's not really an MMO per se, there are quite limited amount of people per session. Facing AI enemies is a big part of this game. And you can play the mp parts solo. Also, there is a dedicated solo/co-op story mode.

Flintty

My (now 14 yo) son is one of the kindest and gentlest kids you could ever meet. Absolutely in love with nature, mini beasts and the like. Get him in SoT 4 player coop with me, his mum and older brother though and he’s a different beast all together. An absolutely bloodthirsty and relentless pirate! The rest of us usually try to avoid skirmishes but he’s that kid who’ll sneak up to a ship and blow the fuck out of them with a barrel whilst they’re fishing. He’s the first to board the enemy ship and violently take down the crew.
So many fun family memories in this game for me. I get that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but those who do enjoy it get a lot of pleasure from it. The game does have legs, and I hope it continues to do so. If you’re still throwing hate at it at this point, you deserve to be ignored and put firmly in the ‘bitter fanboy’ box.

daTRUballin

But it has only been sold through Steam since 2020, while it has been on Xbox, PC (Microsoft Store) and Gamepass since March of 2018. So showing only the Steam numbers only shows part of the picture. Anyways, the game is doing well enough for Microsoft to spend some big bucks to get Disney on board and be one of its featured games at this years E3 event.
I mean, Disney literally admitted that they didn't want to compete with SoT by making their own PotC game and decided to just put their IP in SoT instead.

If that screams "failure" to anyone, something's wrong with them. We're talking about an IP that motherfucking Disney of all companies was wary of competing with.

Top Bottom