• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves has reached 15 million players

• Sea of Thieves has been played by more than fifteen million players since launch in March 2018.
  • June 2020 was the biggest month so far for Sea of Thieves, with over 3.3 million players setting sail.
  • Sea of Thieves has sold over 1 million copies to date on Steam since its launch on June 3, 2020.

More people have played Sea of Thieves in the first six months of 2020 than who played in the whole of 2019, which was more than 2018.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Game has crazy legs. Not bad for a 60-something Metacritic. Supposedly it's getting a big SERIES X uodate...so it'll live on.

Game does have some great looking water.

Grinchy

Banned
It hope there's a big sequel or maybe even just a big update for the sword fighting combat. Sword fighting skeletons just was not fun or satisfying at all.

Maneuvering the boat was awesome, though. They nailed a lot of parts of the game.

This gives me high hopes for Everwild and lets me chuckle at the "Rare doesn't make good games anymore" crowd and the people who say that "theres nothing to do" in SoT. Half of the fun in sandbox games is just the messing around with the sandbox itself, i.e build some sand castles (sale ships, loot islands, fight other ships), or just being a pirate in general. Launch yourself out of a cannon? Why not. Sneak on another teams ship and try a stealth mission to steal their chests? yes.

I think Everwild will be another sleeper hit. People have already judged as just a weird looking survival sim but i think Rare will knock it out the park again.

Holammer

Love it whenever someone gives sales numbers on Steam, gives me a chance to check if amount of User Review multiplied by 50 still gives a good estimate and it does!
22,423x50= 1 ,121 ,150

It's a good rule of thumb.

Stuart360

Love it whenever someone gives sales numbers on Steam, gives me a chance to check if amount of User Review multiplied by 50 still gives a good estimate and it does!
22,423x50= 1 ,121 ,150

It's a good rule of thumb.
Yes x50 works with this game, but its usually x100 for a 'very positive' reviewed game, and x50 is usually for a 'negative' reviewed game. Obviously its not a rule, but its good for a rough estimate.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Congratulations to Rare.

They've had a long ass streak of essentially being farmed out to do shit including xbox avatars and kinect shovelware but now they finally got a hit again. I have to say, I had a 360 and I liked their quirky yet unique output for that era of gaming although it was not very popular at all.

Havoc2049

• Sea of Thieves has been played by more than fifteen million players since launch in March 2018.
  • June 2020 was the biggest month so far for Sea of Thieves, with over 3.3 million players setting sail.
  • Sea of Thieves has sold over 1 million copies to date on Steam since its launch on June 3, 2020.

Nice! That means there were around 2.5 million (more or less) people playing SoT outside of Steam on XB1/Windows 10 in June. Those numbers are actually better numbers than I thought.

Sea of Thieves is still charting better than Gears 5 and Halo 5 on Live.

It's pretty much troll game and with friends it's probably most fun you can have in game. It's hard to explain.

Also this is pretty beatiful:

It's one of those ambitious experimental games, which ended up working.

Now I want to memorize some shanties and try to convince my regular crew to sing along with me.

Dory16

Banned
Congrats to Rare. The game is one of the most original out there and loads of fun. If it was on Nintendo it would be called a system seller and a game of the year candidate but the Xbox has no games narrative is too important for that. It's better than Animal Crossing for sure.
Next stop: Everwild. I can smell potential there.

Flintty

People tried too hard to hate SoT at lunch and it didn’t deserve the hate. The base ‘sandpit’ was always superb and everything Rare has done since then has made it even better. The kids seem to love it too, my son is actually playing with one of his friends as I type this.

Congratulations to Rare, those are incredible numbers for a game that so many people wrote off (Xbox has no games ammirite?). I hope this game is supported well into next gen.

HoodWinked

They really deserve alot of credit this seemed doomed to fail. It's really quite remarkable when a studio manages to create something entirely from scratch and a make game that people didn't know they wanted until they've seen or play it. That level of foresight doesn't get enough praise. Most games are to take an existing game and make it marginally better.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They really deserve alot of credit this seemed doomed to fail. It's really quite remarkable when a studio manages to create something entirely from scratch and a make game that people didn't know they wanted until they've seen or play it. That level of foresight doesn't get enough praise. Most games are to take an existing game and make it marginally better.

One interesting nugget of this gen is that some studios have reinvented themselves and went into new directions in some cases with great success. Look at Rare and sea of thieves, Guerrilla and horizon, Team Ninja going into action-rpg territory with Nioh, Ubisoft essentially rebuilding Assassin's Creed from scratch with Origins...

Flintty

Games as a service.

The term can only be viewed as a good thing. Service isn't a negative, or even nuetral term. It's positive.

Yup, the proof is in the pudding. If a GAAS service game fails, it’s not because of GAAS, it’s because it’s a bad service being provided. Hit the sweet spot however, and you get something like SoT.

Glad to see the game has succeeded in the end. Not my cup of tea, but it's important for Microsoft Game Studios to do well in the face of the Sony/Nintendo onslaught.

Also officially haters can't keep saying Halo/Gears/Forza. Add SoT to that mix!

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think this game is just on the verge of greatness. It needs a bit more structure and progression design and it would be top notch for everyone.

Gamezone

Gold Member
1 million on Steam already? And people were saying that it doesn't matter where you release the games. "People will go where the games are".

Yet the next Flight Simulator haven't been announced for Steam, and Minecraft Dungeons are yet to be seen on Steam.

Top Bottom