• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves Hits 25 Million Players

elliot5

Aren't stats like his misleading I mean you can download this and play for 5 min decide its not for you and never play again but still be counted in that 25 mil, it's not like 25 million people are playing this game.
No shit. Every large multiplayer game touts these milestones anyway. Like RuneScape talking about 300M accounts created or whatever. It's not like Rare is saying 25M players active right now, just people that have played the game

Cannot not post this classics:

This game seems so fucking hilarious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I will say this for Sea of Thieves, despite never playing it since release, I played it at the first E3 where it was revealed, and even back then in its more barebones state, the fun factor of the game was just highly addicting. So I can only imagine a game with even more content now how much easier it is to maintain that fun.

Last edited:

nivix

Neo Member
Looks like they're giving away some gold this week.

As an extra celebration, anyone who plays Sea of Thieves between October 19th (3pm BST) and October 26th (3pm BST) will receive a special login bonus of 25,000 gold and 25 Doubloons. On top of that, one randomly picked pirate who hands in treasure during this period will earn a payout of 25 million in gold!

Flintty

Excellent numbers and well deserved. Always a giggle to see SoT success stories on GAF, followed by haters concerned with how it's not really doing that well and/or declaring they don't understand the appeal. Thanks for popping in!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Aren't stats like his misleading I mean you can download this and play for 5 min decide its not for you and never play again but still be counted in that 25 mil, it's not like 25 million people are playing this game.

pamyup.gif

It continues to be a top seller on Steam after years of its initial release, and there seems to be a lot of people jumping in for 5 minutes and deciding it's not for them month after month.

Currently the 93rd most played game on Steam.

Currently the 44th most played game on XBL.

2015s single player Fallout 4 has more concurrent users on both platforms.

Very impressive indeed.
Doesn't change the fact it has 25 million players...or are 24 million of them the same one million users with 25 accounts...I know someone believes that.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Every time I see anything posted on this I wish I had an Xbox to play with the kids, I've got 2 ps4's and a ps5 and nothing remotely like It on the Sony machines, looks like immense fun to woke away a rainy weekend

Godot25

Banned
Currently the 93rd most played game on Steam.

Currently the 44th most played game on XBL.

2015s single player Fallout 4 has more concurrent users on both platforms.

Very impressive indeed.
Did you check that number when they released that PoC story add on?

Or you just ignored it then?

Godot25

Banned
I mean yeah. But Game also had 4,8 million players in June alone :)

3years after releasr

CeeJay

Been playing a bit with my friend and been having a blast doing so. Very well designed in how adventures just happen, how the simplest treasure hunt can turn into a sea battle with a skeleton ship.
Haha yeah, a simple treasure hunt always leads on to something else. The number of times my crew has set out on one of those then 4 hours later heading to the nearest port with a ship full of treasure (hopefully) and a lot of pirate tales but still never completing that initial treasure hunt 🤣

Pedro Motta

I love this game, playing it even nowadays, but NO WAY IN HELL there are 25 Million players currently playing it. Maybe 25 Million tried the game but not more than that.

RespawnX

One of the worst games of 2018 has turned into such a fun game in 2021. Glad the devs stuck with it.
Was never a bad game imo but very thin. Sea of Thieves released in extremly high polished state but with lack of content. MS proofed how to run GaaS the right way and they got rewarded. Although I'm not big fan of multiplayer games, Sea of Thieves is one of the best co-op sandbox games I ever played. Team gameplay is just on point and absolute fair balanced.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Did you check that number when they released that PoC story add on?

Or you just ignored it then?

Sea of Thieves critics: SoT attracts players during big promotions. SoT can't retain players worth a damn (because it's still a bad game).

Sea of Thieves defenders: Did you check player numbers when Microsoft was promoting that expansion?

Sea of Thieves critics: Le sigh...

Fall Guys routinely has more concurrent players than SoT. Fall Guys...that gem of a game.

Godot25

Banned
Sea of Thieves critics: SoT attracts players during big promotions. SoT can't retain players worth a damn (because it's still a bad game).

Sea of Thieves defenders: Did you check player numbers when Microsoft was promoting that expansion?

Fall Guys routinely has more concurrent players than SoT. Fall Guys...that gem of a game.
Live service game have influx of players when new content arrives.

In other words, water is wet.

Ohhh. Destiny 2 had 180k players at the start of the new season. And now it has only 80k. GAME IS DOOMED!

FYI... You should get your facts straight about that Fall Guys statement.

Also you conviniently left out fact tha SoT is also available on PC Game Pass which is not counted in Steam numbers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Live service game have influx of players when new content arrives.

Cliffs bad. Gentle rolling hills good.

SoT drops off a cliff after every new content update.

Great multiplayer games retain players far better.

PC GamePass numbers contribute to its XBL Most Played position...which is not good either.

Last edited:

Loope

This game seems so fucking hilarious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I will say this for Sea of Thieves, despite never playing it since release, I played it at the first E3 where it was revealed, and even back then in its more barebones state, the fun factor of the game was just highly addicting. So I can only imagine a game with even more content now how much easier it is to maintain that fun.
The one with the French and English dudes is killing me ahahahahha

elliot5

Fall Guys, a game on massively popular platforms (PS and Switch) that's a battle royale, cheaper MSRP, and given away on PS+... Vs Sea of Thieves on PC and Xbox... Yeah I'm not really surprised it has more users. It's a hit game and is pretty good in its own right.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fall Guys, a game on massively popular platforms (PS and Switch) that's a battle royale, cheaper MSRP, and given away on PS+... Vs Sea of Thieves on PC and Xbox... Yeah I'm not really surprised it has more users. It's a hit game and is pretty good in its own right.

Not users.

Concurrent players.

That's how MS is spinning this.

Fall Guys is anything but "pretty good".

Last edited:

Catphish

It's fine for what it is, but I wish it were more than that. The always-on PVP is a drag to me. I'd much rather a sprawling single-player or 2-4 player co-op campaign with RPG and progression elements, something perhaps crossing paths with Sid Meier's Pirates!

elliot5

Not users.

Concurrent players.

That's how MS is spinning this.

Fall Guys is anything but "pretty good".
i know you meant concurrent players. That's what I meant by users. Huge user base, cheap, popular game mode, family friendly, low frustration/easily replayable... it has all the right aspects. It's like the only non violent battle royale out there and isn't about guns/aiming/looting. It might not be for you, but it's a fine game and has mass appeal. It's like being mad about Roblox or Minecraft for being appealing to kids lol

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
i know you meant concurrent players. That's what I meant by users. Huge user base, cheap, popular game mode, family friendly, low frustration/easily replayable... it has all the right aspects. It's like the only non violent battle royale out there and isn't about guns/aiming/looting. It might not be for you, but it's a fine game and has mass appeal. It's like being mad about Roblox or Minecraft for being appealing to kids lol

If every game is special then no game is special.

Let's just say it's on the same level as Fall Guys and leave it at that.

PS: Minecraft and Roblox are phenomenal games. All timers.

ZehDon

Well the game has a peak today of 10k players on Steam, so 25 million players means nothing. A good metric is daily users.
IMO still a incomplete game, lacking variety of enemy, bosses, a good narrative.
Holy crap, talk about a bad take. What is this non-sense?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cliffs bad. Gentle rolling hills good.

SoT drops off a cliff after every new content update.

Great multiplayer games retain players far better.

PC GamePass numbers contribute to its XBL Most Played position...which is not good either.
Well the issue is that you need friends to play this, single sailing fucking sucks and since many of "online population" are fucking virgins, it's hard to keep your audience. And no this is not the situation "every game is good with friends", no this is the situation, where the game requires you to manage ship controls which is hard to do on your own.

Juza

Where are these fucking players? the seas are empty as hell! and while the game needs a lot of work and fixes but they are only busy adding microtransaction items.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not to sound cynical, but honestly does anyone really believe that this is a bigger game than Final Fantasy XIV which has just hit 24million players after over a decade and multiple expansions?

Kagey K

Banned
Not to sound cynical, but honestly does anyone really believe that this is a bigger game than Final Fantasy XIV which has just hit 24million players after over a decade and multiple expansions?
Yes.

Minecraft, GTAV, Fortnite immediately come to mind.

Both Forza Horizon 4 and Sea of Thieves are over the 25 million player mark now.

Rocket League and CoD warzone are probably bigger as well, (but I haven’t seen any numbers recently for those)

There are plenty of games bigger than FF14

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There are plenty of games bigger than FF14

Yes, but we aren't talking about F2P or low-price titles. We're talking about full-price Xbox and PC only titles without any sort of significant draw for offline and single-player customers.

Sorry, the number seems inflated and obfuscatory to me. Massively so. As noted above its probably referencing cumulative characters created. Which when you subtract out those who've given it a try on Gamepass and never stuck with it... you're actually looking at a far less impressive success story than 25m "players" would suggest.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, but we aren't talking about F2P or low-price titles. We're talking about full-price Xbox and PC only titles without any sort of significant draw for offline and single-player customers.

Sorry, the number seems inflated and obfuscatory to me. Massively so. As noted above its probably referencing cumulative characters created. Which when you subtract out those who've given it a try on Gamepass and never stuck with it... you're actually looking at a far less impressive success story than 25m "players" would suggest.
The same can be said for FF14, how many downloaded the trial, played a bit and decided it wasn’t for them?

Last edited:

Jaybe

I played it for an hour and bounced off it. I guess I’m a part of that 25 million.

Max_Po

Banned
I tried twice, once time I was locked in a cell and some players were walking by.... then the nex ttime I was on some island...

Maybe its fun with a lot of friends>?? ...

Lognor

Banned
I tried twice, once time I was locked in a cell and some players were walking by.... then the nex ttime I was on some island...

Maybe its fun with a lot of friends>?? ...
Yeah I imagine it's a blast with a good group of friends. I've played a few times, only with randoms, and it has been fun but I feel like I'm missing out on the experience since I don't typically play online games with friends. It's cool to see it doing well and rare continuing to support it though.

Jaybe

Well you had enough interest to check it out, right? I think that's the point they're making. Lots of interest.
Fair. In my biz it’s trial and repeat, and how many you convert to repeat. They certainly have the trials, even for being ‘free’ on game pass there is still an effort made to seek it, and download it. The DLCs must help.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not trying to dump on the game, or say that its not popular. Its purely that this practice of juking the figures in order to create hype makes it harder to judge the *real* big success stories in the market.

Its why I used FFXIV as a comparison, being the #1 MMO at right now and the most profitable entry in the storied history of the FF franchise, its success is legitimately noteworthy - especially given how abysmally bad its initial launch was.

So when this rocks up touting a bigger user-base for a broadly comparable offering... it kinda bugs me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom