• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of thieves is the most successful console game port on Steam followed by Halo: The Master Chief Collection

j.k.2021

Banned
According to estimates tools available on Steamdb, Sea of thieves is the most sold console first party game on steam.It's followed by Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4 in order.

c2f9d2799f4506e7467599b75fb4ce579b49cb4ab6ca2e123a0d73a73bdc66e6.png

b6d9a052edd57349c0f34052ff385cdb8711908ed73fa6dfd55964cb51a5a5a5.png

ab8ef3b45af7fb9b9b339b636a8a480d6e963e5d1c27d305ff6dc2ec08e3ab34.png

7c1045336162302d69b3153a5314d71608170a536efa8d7f302eb7800148dbc0.png

Last edited:

Roberts

Sea of Thieves success is kind of incredible - it's a very niche game that doesn't hold your hand at all. It's not a game you can just hop on, play for 10-20 minutes and do something else. It asks for a serious commitment just to achieve anything in it. That said, still one of the most important games of last gen. One of a kind.

j.k.2021

Banned
Sea of Thieves success is kind of incredible - it's a very niche game that doesn't hold your hand at all. It's not a game you can just hop on, play for 10-20 minutes and do something else. It asks for a serious commitment just to achieve anything in it. That said, still one of the most important games of last gen. One of a kind.
If they ever release Sea of thieves sequel then it's launch will be massive.

j.k.2021

Banned
Everybody told me that nobody purchases Microsoft games because of Gamepass...
Who to believe?
It's case-by-case basis.Game pass can be a great marketing and boost tool for small and mid budget games.Big third party games sales are hurt on Xbox but they get compensated with millions of dollars.They are not doing a charity.

"Descenders' weekly sales increased five times thanks to Xbox Game Pass.
"Descenders publisher aims to get all future releases onto Game Pass."
"High On Life Dev Says Game Pass Titles Sell 7 Times More Than Those Off The Service."

Last edited:
I mean this is a bit disingenuous.

Sea of Thieves has been out since 2018. It launched for 40 dollars.

Horizon for example launched two years later at 50 dollars.

So when comparing the number of users vs revenue and trying to allocate success, it makes a bit more sense to think holistically.

Time and price are huge keys to numbers on PC. I'd like to see how well God of War and Spider-Man do at 10, 15, and 20 dollars.

j.k.2021

Banned
I mean this is a bit disingenuous.

Sea of Thieves has been out since 2018. It launched for 40 dollars.

Horizon for example launched two years later at 50 dollars.

So when comparing the number of users vs revenue and trying to allocate success, it makes a bit more sense to think holistically.

Time and price are huge keys to numbers on PC. I'd like to see how well God of War and Spider-Man do at 10, 15, and 20 dollars.
Sea of thieves launched on steam in Jun, 2020.Horizon Zero Dawn launched on steam in Aug, 2020.Around two months difference.

Sea of thieves was in top 10 seller steam list for many, Many weeks in revenue term.No other console first party replicated that.

Sea of thieves launched on steam in Jun, 2020.Horizon Zero Dawn launched on steam in Aug, 2020.Around two months difference.

Sea of thieves was in top 10 seller steam list for many, Many weeks in revenue term.No other console first party replicated that.

The source I look at was wrong on the date, but the point still stands on the price.

Not saying it hasn't been successful, but context matters here.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
is always nice to see game developers and publishers being rewarded with success after publishing unfinished, broken, unpolished games.

is the nature of the beast. We have games like No man's sky, CP2077, Day Z just to name a few.

and GOTY contenders like Hades using the early acces model to make great games.

that infamous quote from Todd Howard:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

well, is proven more like a joke than anything else.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I would have sunk thousands of hours in to Sea of Thieves if

A. The combat wasn’t pure jank.
B. There was a more traditional mission system (yes I played the PotC missions, no, I didn’t think they were good).
C. There should be more players in a server as the ship combat is the most exciting thing.

Such a shame as simply sailing around in that beautiful world is ace.

j.k.2021

Banned
is always nice to see game developers and publishers being rewarded with success after publishing unfinished, broken, unpolished games.

is the nature of the beast. We have games like No man's sky, CP2077, Day Z just to name a few.

and GOTY contenders like Hades using the early acces model to make great games.

that infamous quote from Todd Howard:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

well, is proven more like a joke than anything else.
Sea of thieves was dead on arrival.It was only rewarded after it's big update a year later.Then, It started gaining momentum and became the most successful new Xbox first party ip.Also, It's steam launch was in perfect shape and that's why it has 90% user rating from over 230,000 steam reviews.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
that is what i am saying.
I agree that they should have delayed it a year as the big update which was launched a year later fixed content drought problem.B/W, Community feedback and devs. build this game in what it is today.It wouldn't be same if it was released in perfect shape.

j.k.2021

Banned
Is this by "popularity score"? If so, God of War has a higher score than HZD.

Here's the link to the site since the OP didn't include it:

It's by sales estimates.GOW is more popular because currently more people on steam are playing it than HZD.For example, Grounded is more popular on steam because of more active players on steam.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Is this by "popularity score"? If so, God of War has a higher score than HZD.

Here's the link to the site since the OP didn't include it:

Horizon is still ahead of GoW. No idea how accurate these numbers are though. I still say SoT nor FH4 for that matter are console ports.

That's not how you spell GTA V.
OP edited to say "first party" lol

j.k.2021

Banned
Horizon is still ahead of GoW. No idea how accurate these numbers are though. I still say SoT nor FH4 for that matter are console ports.

OP edited to say "first party" lol
Horizon was released 17 months ago.That's the only reason why.Steamdb has multiple estimates sources and all show same order.

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Wow, great first thread you made OP. ‘Popularity scores’ and an interesting definition of console port.

moving-goalpost.gif
It's based on sales estimates and not by "Popularity scores".B/W, Popularity score is calculated based upon active players and you wouldn't like that one either.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Roberts

B. There was a more traditional mission system (yes I played the PotC missions, no, I didn’t think they were good).
C. There should be more players in a server as the ship combat is the most exciting thing.
Agreed on both. I was really excited about PotC stuff - my friend and me enjoyed the first part but then we kind of lost interest and I never finished the whole thing. That said, I loved some of the tall tales we played. Figuring out the next direction/puzzle was always strangely rewarding. And, yes, the game needs more players on each server.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Everybody told me that nobody purchases Microsoft games because of Gamepass...
Who to believe?
For me it depends on the game as a gamepass owner.

The Forza games are instabuys

Starfield will be an instabuy

I am glad I did not buy Halo nor did I buy Flight Sim though I have played both a decent amount on my main account

Top Bottom