• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of thieves is the most successful console game port on Steam followed by Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Kilau

Gold Member
It didn't come to steam till June 3rd 2020, many years after the windows store and Xbox versions.

(I assume these stats are based on steam?)
Windows store is still PC gaming. Sea of Thieves has never been a console only game to qualify the Steam version as a “console” port.

GHG

Gold Member
Simon Digging GIF by Australian Survivor

We're gonna find that good Xbox news somewhere, god damn it!

They PC now.

I hope not, they can find refuge elsewhere, don't want the low standards slipping into the PC space.

j.k.2021

Banned
Show the sales revenue receipts, please
Sea of thieves was in top ten steam global top seller list more than any other console first party game and this list is based on revenue.I just found a great site which tracks numbers of days a game stayed in steam global top seller list and it shows that Sea of thieves stayed in top 10 for 175 days.You can imagine the rest yourself.

This is the site....https://gaminganalytics.info/gb_stat_f

Last edited:
Sea of thieves was in top ten steam global top seller more than any other console first party game and this list is based on revenue.I just found a great sites which tracks numbers of days a game stayed in steam global top seller list and it shows that Sea of thieves stayed in top 10 for 175 days.You can imagine the rest yourself then.

What time period was it released?

A slow period during the summer months isn’t indicative of success by itself.

j.k.2021

Banned
Minecraft isn’t even on Steam. It’s also certainly not a console port. Do you know what a console port is or do you just enjoy moving goal posts?
I assumed that his comment was about overall sales.Take a chill pill.🥱

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sea of Thieves is pretty good tbh. Horizon has only been out for 2.5 years on PC though compared to the others. And Sea of thieves was day 1 PC

j.k.2021

Banned
Best of Steam 2020. Sorted by revenue.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/BestOf2020

Sea of Thieves is in the Gold category. Horizon Zero Dawn is in the bronze category. It’s not close at all.

To be fair, SoT has in app purchases which muddies the water a bit…but it launched $10 cheaper than HZD.

Good.Speaking of which, Sea of thieves is still in Gold category in 2021 and it's in the third place compared to #5 in 2020.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
That is correct. However, multiple Steam sales estimates show FH4 comfortably ahead.
For your earlier comment, I finally remember what happened.Forza Horizon 4 legs on steam were cut by Forza Horizon 5 release just eight months later.If not for that, FH4 would be above 4 million by now imo.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are we now arguing Horison sold more than sea of thieves and forza?
Haha no way. Those two games are huge on steam.

Everybody told me that nobody purchases Microsoft games because of Gamepass...
Who to believe?
It debuted at #2 and then dropped to 18 in its second month then out of the top 20 the next, basically the same as Halo Infinite. Difference is this is a AA service game, its sales numbers are likely unimpressive but it's the type of game that if enough people play it and stay subscribed is good for a service like GP.

Schmendrick

OP either really doesn't know the difference between a port and a multiplat or he simply played dumb to generate clicks.

Ozriel

M$FT
It debuted at #2 and then dropped to 18 in its second month then out of the top 20 the next, basically the same as Halo Infinite. Difference is this is a AA service game, its sales numbers are likely unimpressive but it's the type of game that if enough people play it and stay subscribed is good for a service like GP.

Sea of Thieves had sold 5 million copies on Steam alone by December 2021.

‘Unimpressive sales’ indeed 😂

j.k.2021

Banned
Fun fact: Grounded on steam in last 24 hours had higher concurrent player peak than God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Master Chief collection on PC absolutely slaps. By far my favourite "console exclusive" to hit PC so far. I've always wanted to try Sea of Thieves, but I have no friends who game on PC. Can you matchmake?

Lasha

SoT was a PC game from day zero though, it’s not a console port.

MCC would fit that criteria better.

Ports don't really exist anymore in the traditional sense. Both consoles are just proprietary PCs. The barrier to a PC version is nothing like it was back in the day. Microsoft would never have any ports by your reckoning since it has been pushing play anywhere for half a decade now. Sony could do the same with minimal effort but that would disrupt it's goal of selling consoles which generate a massive amount of revenue from third party game sales and subscriptions.

Not sure why this has turned into a fanboy battle. Sea of Thieves is incredible. Rare released a minimalist pvp sandbox with open voice in an era of tightly choreographed PvE games yet somehow managed to find traction. It offers something unique whereas most console exclusives have alternatives or equivalents on PC. It's success is deserved on its own merits.

Kilau

Gold Member
Ports don't really exist anymore in the traditional sense. Both consoles are just proprietary PCs. The barrier to a PC version is nothing like it was back in the day. Microsoft would never have any ports by your reckoning since it has been pushing play anywhere for half a decade now. Sony could do the same with minimal effort but that would disrupt it's goal of selling consoles which generate a massive amount of revenue from third party game sales and subscriptions.

Not sure why this has turned into a fanboy battle. Sea of Thieves is incredible. Rare released a minimalist pvp sandbox with open voice in an era of tightly choreographed PvE games yet somehow managed to find traction. It offers something unique whereas most console exclusives have alternatives or equivalents on PC. It's success is deserved on its own merits.
By my reckoning? It's just how it is. They don't have ports anymore. MCC was a console game then it was ported to PC. SoT was never ported, it existed on both from the first moment.

The thread title is "console game port" SoT is not. I'm not arguing it isn't a great game, just that it isn't a console port.

Three

Sea of Thieves didn’t hit Steam until mid 2020.

Only day 1 on Windows Store and PC Gamepass

Forza Horizon 4 didn’t hit Steam until 2021
These aren't based on just steam numbers. OP is mistaken I believe . They are based on tracked players across all platforms. Users basically register and it tracks you via the xbox API.

"The Windows platforms uses data provided via the XBOX API for all played games a Windows 10 user with a public profile has played. This includes all launchers like Steam, Origin, EGS, uPlay, and more - but some games are missing and others have multiple entries, so we encourage you to browse this data with care as there may be inaccuracies."

So this idea that SoT released in 2020 is bullshit. Not to mention the actual premise of the thread when you have things like GTA too. It's console war fodder from the user posted as some incorrect news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom