• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of thieves is the most successful console game port on Steam followed by Halo: The Master Chief Collection

If we compare these two MS biggest sellers in Steam vs the Sony ones, the MS ones have been sold for a way longer period of time (which also means it had more discounted sales periods) and with a more discounted, lowest minimum...

Sea of Thieves was a brand new IP and wasn't a household name with repeat entries either. It has done amazing. Period. We can just enjoy many types of games and platforms without the need for always focusing on #1 being the only thing that matters in the universe.

Lasha

Really over the Sony warring shit. No need for this in a SoT thread whatsoever and wasn't part of any discussion. Literally just shitting up GAF threads up all the time and preventing members from wanting to post in such threads.

Funny how you now praise Sony buying a publisher and dev in Bungie but endlessly post MS cannot just buy great games/publishers.

Welcome to the ignore list, you and your immaturity won't be missed.

Same bro. The console war stuff has gone out of control.

Really over the Sony warring shit. No need for this in a SoT thread whatsoever and wasn't part of any discussion. Literally just shitting up GAF threads up all the time and preventing members from wanting to post in such threads.

Funny how you now praise Sony buying a publisher and dev in Bungie but endlessly post MS cannot just buy great games/publishers.

Welcome to the ignore list, you and your immaturity won't be missed.

This is a console war thread. Not a SoT thread. Apologies for the emotional damage

reinking

Gold Member
This is a console war thread
Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

Havoc2049

No. Day one on PC. Thread was made by someones alt to try and shit stir, they edited the OP to fit their agenda and even now it's incorrect.

Slight correction, they don't say 2 million sales.
[/URL]
Oh well, my quote was a direct quote from mmos.com, from around the same time frame.

Joe Neate (SoT Producer), did say in an interview, shortly after they announced they reached 5 million players, that the player base was about 50/50, between people who bought the game and people playing via Game Pass.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's so funny to look back on it now.

Still wish they would refine the sword combat and it would be up there with my favourite games.

Sea of thieves and grounded are magical, and something Microsoft does better than most of the competition.

They don't get enough props for how well they handle these types of games.

I love Grounded. It's so unique, super polished and a lot of fun. If SoT was single-player I'd be playing the heck out of it too. It really looks like fun, but I'm a super anti-social gamer.

It's great to see Xbox games doing great on PC. It seems like PC gamers really prefer Xbox games, so it's been a smart move to release them Day 1 on PC.

One of the things that's great about Xbox games this gen is they have such a wide variety of genres and unique games, and they all seem to be great quality with excellent critical and user scores in the mid 80s to 90s. I don't think they've had any games under 80+ critic score so far this gen. I think that's a major reason why they are so popular with PC gamers.

j.k.2021

Banned
They do. That is why I am frustrated with Microsoft/XB lack of focus on doing that. XBSX is fantastic hardware and they have enough studios that they could have been better prepared for this generation.
It's not that simple.People might not know this but Microsoft only started investing in Xbox after they saw game pass potential.Lack of resources was the real reason for less exclusive deals and Xbox also lacked first party studios.Most of the studios purchased for Xbox were only AA studios then and many of them were working on multiplat games.It also takes five years to develop a AAA game and that was without covid.These are the real reason for lack of first party support.Good thing Xbox got Bethesda else they would have only released Forza Motorsport in 2022-2023.💀😅

Xbox is also lucky that pandemic impacted the supply else the start of this generation would have been brutal.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If we compare these two MS biggest sellers in Steam vs the Sony ones, the MS ones have been sold for a way longer period of time (which also means it had more discounted sales periods) and with a more discounted, lowest minimum price. In addition to this, it's also worth mentioning that Sea of Thieves was released day one on PC and Halo MCC is a collection with half a dozen Halos, while the two Sony best sellers are ports of 4 year old single games.

This thread is focusing on Steam. None of the MS games were released Day one on Steam. No idea why you're omitting games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone and focusing only on the likes of GOW and Spiderman that were recently released.

Worth noting that Halo MCC's PC port also came years after the console release

Also worth pointing out that Sea of Thieves typically doesn't spend much time on sales. Most of the time, it's at the launch price point. Ditto for Forza Horizon 4 which you surprisingly fail to mention.

True,
Good thing they were utterly unambiguous about it selling 5 million copies on Steam by December 2021.

StueyDuck

This is a console war thread. Not a SoT thread. Apologies for the emotional damage
^I sadly have to agree.

Console wars and warriors are dumb as shit and they should be embarrassed to even exist, but I don't know how anyone can look at the OP and not see the bait 🤣. They knew what they were doing.

I'm down for a "sea of theives is doing super well" thread however. I've been meaning to jump back in on stream again

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

They do. That is why I am frustrated with Microsoft/XB lack of focus on doing that. XBSX is fantastic hardware and they have enough studios that they could have been better prepared for this generation.
They’ve put out quality games but maybe not the size and scope some are hoping for. As Dusk Falls is a fantastic game but I think it gets overlooked for its aesthetic. HiFi Rush is cool but I don’t think that’s what the fans really want.

If we wiped Sony from our minds I think most would feel good to ok with their output. But compared to Sonys big games I can see how they appear to be lacking. They put HiFi, Monster Hunter Rise and Goldeneye on GP this month. Not bad at all.

But that’s the knock on MS. The games are always on the way. We just have to wait.

j.k.2021

Banned
If we compare these two MS biggest sellers in Steam vs the Sony ones, the MS ones have been sold for a way longer period of time (which also means it had more discounted sales periods) and with a more discounted, lowest minimum price. In addition to this, it's also worth mentioning that Sea of Thieves was released day one on PC and Halo MCC is a collection with half a dozen Halos, while the two Sony best sellers are ports of 4 year old single games.

Sea of Thieves was released 2 years and almost 9 months ago and has been sold with a minimum price of $19.99 (US pricing), -50% off. Sales estimates:
image.png

Halo MCC was released 3 years and 3 months ago and has been sold with a minimum price of $15.99 (US pricing), -60% off. Sales estimates:
image.png

God of War (2018) was released on PC a year and a month ago, and has been sold with a minimum price of $29.99 (US pricing), -40% off. Sales estimations:
image.png

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered was released 7 months ago. Lowest US pricing: $40.19, -33% off. Sales estimates:
image.png
Only two month difference between Sea of thieves which is Xbox highest selling game on steam and Horizon which is PlayStation highest selling game on steam.

yurinka

Sea of Thieves was a brand new IP and wasn't a household name with repeat entries either. It has done amazing. Period. We can just enjoy many types of games and platforms without the need for always focusing on #1 being the only thing that matters in the universe.
I didn't say the opposite, or even anything close.

Only two month difference between Sea of thieves which is Xbox highest selling game on steam and Horizon which is PlayStation highest selling game on steam.
No, GoW and Spider-Man are the two best selling PS game on Steam. They, Days Gone and Detroit sold more on Steam than Horizon.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
No, GoW and Spider-Man are the two best selling PS game on Steam. They, Days Gone and Detroit sold more on Steam than Horizon.
My comment was about overall sales on steam.Horizon currently holds the top spot on steam as highest sold PlayStation game but it's because it was released in 2021.GOW will likely take over in next few months.

Ozriel

M$FT

As an early 2022, Horizon had outsold Days Gone by nearly 3:1.

Horizon also most likely outsold Detroit on PC. 2.4 million Horizon ZD sales by early 2022 vs 2.5 million Detroit PC sales by Jan 2023.

yurinka

As an early 2022, Horizon had outsold Days Gone by nearly 3:1.

Horizon also most likely outsold Detroit on PC. 2.4 million Horizon ZD sales by early 2022 vs 2.5 million Detroit PC sales by Jan 2023
My comment was about overall sales on steam.Horizon currently holds the top spot on steam as highest sold PlayStation game but it's because it was released in 2021.GOW will likely take over in next few months.
Things may have changed a lot since a year ago due to different things like discounts, people getting other recent game wanted to play another one, etc. As of today these are the estimations:

God of War:
image.png

Spider-Man:
image.png

Horizon:
image.png

Days Gone:
image.png

Detroit:
image.png

User reviews estimation: GoW>Horizon>Detroit>Spider-Man>Days Gone
Pay Tracker: Horizon>GoW>Days Gone>Detriort>Spider-Man
VG Insights: Horizon>Detroit>GoW>Spider-Man>Days Gone
SteamSpy: Gow>Spider-Man>Days Gone>Detroit>Horizon

Unless Sony updates the real sales numbers, this is all we have.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Things may have changed a lot since a year ago due to different things like discounts, people getting other recent game wanted to play another one, etc. As of today these are the estimations:

God of War:
image.png

Spider-Man:
image.png

Horizon:
image.png

Days Gone:
image.png

Detroit:
image.png

Sony provided sales numbers for Days Gone and Horizon in 2022.

2.4 million for Horizon vs 850k for Days Gone. These are hard, actual numbers from Sony.

B66loS2.jpg

Additionally, we had actuals for Detroit in January 2023. 2.5 million. It is extremely unlikely that Horizon Zero Dawn didn’t sell more than 100k copies between May 2022 and January 2023.

Please don’t pull out Steam estimates when hard data exists

yurinka

Sony provided sales numbers for Days Gone and Horizon in 2022.

2.4 million for Horizon vs 850k for Days Gone. These are hard, actual numbers from Sony.

B66loS2.jpg

Additionally, we had actuals for Detroit in January 2023. 2.5 million. It is extremely unlikely that Horizon Zero Dawn didn’t sell more than 100k copies between May 2022 and January 2023.

Please don’t pull out Steam estimates when hard data exists
As shown in the image, these Sony numbers are a year old. So as I said, "unless Sony updates the real sales numbers, this is all we have" because we don't know how real sales evolved since last year.

Regarding the Detroit number I knew they announced the 8M (PS+PC) units sold mark this January but didn't have noticed that they also mentioned 2.5M PC sales, thanks for sharing.

It's also worth mentioning that even if Steam represents a huge portion of the PC sales, doesn't represent its totality and PC games are also sold in other stores. So it's normal that Steam owners estimates would be a bit smaller than real PC sales.

I'll keep posting Steam estimates whenever I want to do so, specially when there are no recent sales data reported by their publishers, as it's the case of Sony (with Detroit as exception because Sony didn't publish the pc port) or Microsoft PC sales.

Last edited:

ManaByte

lol never. Maybe just fill up your ship with supplys.
If you are planing to play it with friends u need a 3-4 hr window to get a good amount out of it.
You can do a phantom fort in like 20 min, and with Captain’s Voyages you can now do a trading company one in about the same time.

j.k.2021

Banned

God of War:
image.png

Spider-Man:
image.png

Horizon:
image.png

Days Gone:
image.png

Detroit:
image.png

Playtracker and vginsights are the one's who do precise estimates.User reviews and Steamspy estimates can be any number between millions of difference.

yurinka

Playtracker and vginsights are the one's who do precise estimates.User reviews and Steamspy estimates can be any number between millions of difference.
It depends on the games, quite often Steam Spy and the reviews are more accurate.

But using other method for the reviews that is more accurate: the 20 and 55 numbers came because they are from two periods because they were proportional to the number of games available/being released in Steam. I don't remember the accurate formula, but depending of the release year you had to multiply for a number or another within the range. It was also accurate for a certain range of reviews: not too small and not too big as I remember.

All 4 methods have many examples of being super accurate or being super broken and totally unaccurate. So the best thing is to make an average of all 4 methods and take that estimate with a huge grain of salt, only as a rough estimate to have an approximate idea. And then to consider that Steam has around 80% of the total PC sales (depending where are available).

Last edited:

Fatmanp

If Sea of Thieves would have been released in a better state and had Sony level marketing, it could have become really huge.
Tbh i think quite a few games would benefit from the marketing quality and volume theat Sony provides. I remember being peppered with ads for Days Gone and thats a game Sony wants to forget about. I dont recall seeing anything for Halo, Gears or Forza at launch.

Ozriel

M$FT
If Sea of Thieves would have been released in a better state and had Sony level marketing, it could have become really huge.

To be honest, I’m not sure there’s any level of marketing that could have had more impact than the Sea of thieves X Pirates of The Caribbean reveal at E3.

The game did very, very well. It was never going to be huge like Fortnite et al. But it’s most certainly crossed 10 million sales and likely generates a decent amount in MTX revenue

Top Bottom