• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

VAL0R

Banned
sea-of-thieves-4.jpg

Sea of Thieves is a visually beautiful open-sea pirate game where players seek to become pirate legends. The game focuses on cooperative crew-based gameplay. Uncovering buried treasure, collecting animals and goods and recovering the heads of defeated skeleton captains are some of the means for promotion within the game's trading companies. Players can engage in PvP with any crew they encounter and steal their loot, or befriend them, or simply ignore them and pass by. As of the latest the update, Cursed Sails, players can now form official alliances that enable loot sharing between multiple crews. Cursed Sails also introduces the Brigantine ship type, sea battles with skeleton crews and new cosmetic options.

At launch Rare received scathing criticism from various outlets over the game's lack of gameplay content. In response, Rare has been continuously dropping regular free content updates, enriching their pirate experience each time and have promised more to come.

Two updates ago, The Hungering Deep released the dreaded Megaladon into SoT's waters, to the delight of fans of the game.
WellwornPhonyGnat-size_restricted.gif
SoT's music is as fantastic as its artwork.

Main theme:

That pirate hype when you're taking a skelly fort and as the skelly boss emerges with the treasure key, On the Warpath starts playing...

I have to include this little fantastic unofficial fan diddy just because:

See you on the seas me hearties!

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

It's soooo much better now

Posted in the other, salty thread, pun intended

5fnALki.gif

The roaming Megalodon is an awesome addtion,

One thing though, 2 players should not be allowed on a sloop. That takes away all advantage for solo players

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I haven't played since the first week (as I got rather bored and my friends quickly stopped playing). I would love to play some more. What regions do y'all play in? Regardless, send me a PM so I can add y'all on XBL.

Vasto

I hope they keep the content updates coming as quick as they are. Game is getting better witch each update.

Havoc2049

That Megaladon footage is awesome! Excellent find! :cool:(y)

I've been sailing since the beta and I'm almost Pirate Legend (50/49/49). I'm more than happy to help out new pirates or sail with seasoned pirates.

Feel free to add me: MajorHavoc 2049

Decisions, decisions... Hmm...time for a banana...
1c4ac2d6-3b86-400f-b61b-7d44fe07fb03.PNG

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe someone here can help.

Buddy and I were playing the other night and we found like this blue mermaid statue thing and it wasn't attacking us but it was hurting us when we stood by it so we beat it up and it exploded.

The hell was that?

It's soooo much better now

Posted in the other, salty thread, pun intended

5fnALki.gif

The roaming Megalodon is an awesome addtion,

One thing though, 2 players should not be allowed on a sloop. That takes away all advantage for solo players

Count me back in to be eaten by the Megaldon! *puts on pirate hat*

Isa

Gold Member
God damn this game is beautiful. *Off-topic* I wish Kameo got a lengthier sequel...

MilkyJoe

Count me back in to be eaten by the Megaldon! *puts on pirate hat*

I'm wondering if it's an anti idle mechanic too, i was in-between part 1 and 2 of a quest and I needed to quickly go and peel some potatoes and put them in the oven, so i dropped anchor where I was and off I went. I'm not sure how long i was gone, but when I got back there a dozen holes in my boat, the Megalodon was circling and roaring, and down I went, treasure and all... I wasn't even mad, it was great.

Havoc2049

Maybe someone here can help.

Buddy and I were playing the other night and we found like this blue mermaid statue thing and it wasn't attacking us but it was hurting us when we stood by it so we beat it up and it exploded.

The hell was that?

The mermaid statues were part of a time limited Bilge Rats adventure called The Sunken Curse. They don't do much right now, unless Rare rotates that adventure back through the Bilge Rats playlist. You could earn doubloons by destroying the cursed statues and use the doubloons to buy gear, gold or experience points from the Bilge Rats rep in the taverns.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The mermaid statues were part of a time limited Bilge Rats adventure called The Sunken Curse. They don't do much right now, unless Rare rotates that adventure back through the Bilge Rats playlist. You could earn doubloons by destroying the cursed statues and use the doubloons to buy gear, gold or experience points from the Bilge Rats rep in the taverns.

Ah ok. Thanks got the info. I figured it was some event we just just didn't know how to finish. Weird that they left it in there if it's not active.

VAL0R

Banned
Ah ok. Thanks got the info. I figured it was some event we just just didn't know how to finish. Weird that they left it in there if it's not active.

I think you can still get accommodations for destroying them. But that's just a title you can have and nothing more, to my knowledge.

VAL0R

Banned
That Megaladon footage is awesome! Excellent find! :cool:(y)

I've been sailing since the beta and I'm almost Pirate Legend (50/49/49). I'm more than happy to help out new pirates or sail with seasoned pirates.

Feel free to add me: MajorHavoc 2049

Decisions, decisions... Hmm...time for a banana...
1c4ac2d6-3b86-400f-b61b-7d44fe07fb03.PNG
Thanks Havoc, I'dd add you. I mostly play with my bro-in-law (a pirate legend). I'm like 39/30/30 or something. I missed all the Bilge Rat stuff that I was told was great opportunities to level up.

MilkyJoe

Sorry to bump, but jumped in over the weekend, to try out the new content. So much going on, this is really how it should have launched. I had an absolute blast, made a pirate friend, we wend on voyages, hunted down some poor fella, killed him and stole all his booty. Good times. The world seems so much more alive now.

cdthree

Did they ever update it so you can play in third person view? Could never get into first person view in this game.

I play with a pretty regular galleon crew.

A mic-less 'negotiator' who swims to other ships and gives them the choice of alliance or death. Once he cannons over we know it will be less than 5 minutes before we have a new ship in the alliance, or the crew will be dead and their ship aiming for the nearest rock.

A wheelman who is damn good about bringing the ship closer to a dock than they spawn at.

A gunner who is terrifyingly accurate at long ranges, to the point he will nail ships with cursed cannonballs at twice the range I'm comfortable firing regulars.

And I'm the rowboat man, treasure sniffer, and sailor who does all the little things to keep our boat running efficiently.

One time we played a 12 hour session on a single galleon, not once did it sink. By the end of the session it had more holes than hull. We forced the entire server into a huge alliance, and two pirate legends from other crews gave every ship a Devil's Roar Athena voyage. The whole server popped on their Reaper's Mark flag, and we all went farming. In 5 hours we made 200k and over 100 doubloons.

I love this game.

Wizav

Neo Member
I've installed the game on my xbox and deleted it... I couldn't figure what's the goal of that game... Sail and whack few skeletons.. like wtf??'' Where is progression system, variety of enemies, ships etc.... what is this game about, luckily I tried it through Gamepass, I would have flipped out if I actually payed $60 for it... what a wasted potential.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I've installed the game on my xbox and deleted it... I couldn't figure what's the goal of that game... Sail and whack few skeletons.. like wtf??'' Where is progression system, variety of enemies, ships etc.... what is this game about, luckily I tried it through Gamepass, I would have flipped out if I actually payed $60 for it... what a wasted potential.
I feel good i didnt waste my free gamepass trial on it.

Forza horizon 4 is dope af

Wizav

Neo Member
I feel good i didnt waste my free gamepass trial on it.

Forza horizon 4 is dope af

True :) I enjoy it as well.

When I was buying XBOX ONE S in store, I was offered only two bundles... without game and with Sea of Thieves but for extra $20 if I remember... I am glad I choose NOT to purchase SoT bundle, even $5 is a waste on SoT xD

Allandor

Well, I still like my gamepass subscription. But this game is really … well … just like you I don't really know what to do in it.
Sailed a bit, well if there was some kind of map-system I could see while sailing and where I must deliver what … than yeah it might actually be fun. But I really don't know what to do in this game. I really need something like Questhelper or something like that just for the beginning, just to know where to sail and what I am supposed to do.

The only treasure I got was the one I stole from someones ship as he was on the same island to sell the treasure ... hey it is called sea of thieves ;)

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Well, I still like my gamepass subscription. But this game is really … well … just like you I don't really know what to do in it.
Sailed a bit, well if there was some kind of map-system I could see while sailing and where I must deliver what … than yeah it might actually be fun.

You realize there is a map below deck on every ship, that shows the orientation of your boat and the names of the islands, right?

So I’m asking this honestly with no attempt to troll. I played for three weeks due to Game Pass, enjoyed it, then lost interest. How is the concurrent playerbase doing?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

I *really* wanted to like this game but as others have said, if you don't have a solid PC/Xbox friend base who happen to play the game, it's hard to have fun.

Playing with "randoms" is like getting your teeth pulled with no anesthesia and IMO there's not much fun in the many fetch quests the game heavily relies on.

Sure the graphics(Unreal Engine 4) are beautiful and the game looks charming and plays well but it boils down to having *FUN* and I just never have any
playing it.

Alx

I actually had a lot of fun playing solo. It makes all the encounter thing exciting, since you know you'd probably be at a disadvantage. My best moments were spent trying to fight or escape another ship.
The game design is all about enjoying the act of playing and nothing else. So there's no carrot on a stick in the shape of progression, upgrades, unlocks and such (or not that much, just a few cosmetic items you can buy). If you don't find enjoyment in steering the ship, decyphering maps or looking around for random encounters, it's just not a game for you.

Havoc2049

I dont get the game..
No progression.
The goal is to reach rank 50 in the Gold Hoarder, Merchant Alliance and Order of Souls factions and become a Pirate Legend. Pirate Legend status gives you access to the Pirate Legends Hideout, which houses the Pirate Lord, Tavern of Legends, Legendary Athena's Voyages and Athena's Fortune vendors.

I *really* wanted to like this game but as others have said, if you don't have a solid PC/Xbox friend base who happen to play the game, it's hard to have fun.

Playing with "randoms" is like getting your teeth pulled with no anesthesia and IMO there's not much fun in the many fetch quests the game heavily relies on.

Sure the graphics(Unreal Engine 4) are beautiful and the game looks charming and plays well but it boils down to having *FUN* and I just never have any
playing it.
If you're new to Live and don't have many Live friends, take advantage of the Clubs. There are numerous Sea of Thieves Clubs that are always looking for new members. Then you will basically have an instant friends list full of Sea of Thieves players. With Clubs it is easy to set up games, seek guidance and share photos and game clips. I've been in the middle of voyages and battles and have asked for help from my SoT club and people will sometimes jump right in and help me out.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
The fact that this game still has no PvP zone (with multiplayer gametypes - CTF, Battle Royale, Last Ship Sailing, etc.) is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The fact that this game still has no PvP zone (with multiplayer gametypes - CTF, Battle Royale, Last Ship Sailing, etc.) is ridiculous.

Rare needs more MMO creature comforts to keep the player base engaged, after hitting Pirate Legend. These expansions and events are cool, but some quick PVP modes would be nice. The only place now with a high probability of PVP is a Skull Fort. I also want some of the things Rare was talking about before launch, like pets with modifiers/buffs and launching your ship out through the waterfall in the Pirate Legend Hideout. Maybe having a room at the Pirate Legend hideout that you could customize with furniture you could buy and furnishings earned in events. Like having a large megalodon shark tooth hanging on the wall in my own pirate hideout would be so cool.

Alx

I haven't followed it closely (I keep saying I'll go back to it when I find the time and I mean it, but I have too much on my plate right now), but yeah they had several updates : they added a Megalodon monster (it was a special quest at first, and now is a random encounter like the Kraken), "skeleton thrones" hidden in hard to reach places, a haunted ship and cursed cannon balls, areas with volcanic activity, and I think there's another update coming at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Middle son's birthday is coming up and he's getting an Xbox. Can't wait to get back to this with him (and we'll get his older brother to join in also).

It definitely was meant to be played socially. I love the beach/ocean so just farting around by myself is okay but I wouldn't recommend this game to anybody looking to play it solo. With a crew of friends it really shines though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom