• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
IMO it's still a complete nightmare to play solo or with random crew. This is a game to play with friends and that is all.

JLB

Banned
IMO it's still a complete nightmare to play solo or with random crew. This is a game to play with friends and that is all.

Indeed. Playing SoT with friends is a blast, now paying it alone, or with random people... ehm.

Is this worth playing solo today, given that I already have Gamepass? I've always liked the look of it and it's not like I'm paying £20 for it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This is a game where you absolutely need to have friends/brothers/sisters playing with you.

When you have a full crew, the moment to moment interactions are magical. And the game as indicated above is directing you towards that.

Above all else, remember that you're a pirate.

Havoc2049

Is this worth playing solo today, given that I already have Gamepass? I've always liked the look of it and it's not like I'm paying £20 for it.
It’s easy to start out solo, to see if you like the game. There is even a Maiden Voyage Tall Tale now, that shows you the ropes. After the Maiden Voyage, there is also a little more guidance for new players than there used to be. After you rank up with all the factions though, the missions become more complicated and long, so a crew is really useful. SoT can be fun solo sometimes, just for the challenge.

Xbox has SoT groups you can join, so you can always find competent players to play with. Just post a “Looking For” post in a group and people will usually come on board. It will also help build your friends list with other SoT players.

this is the best exclusive this gen as far as im concerned and yet theres still so much untapped potential in it. I also say that from tue viewpoint of preferring open “you create your own adventure” type games over interactive movies.

I really hope this game gets a major update/overhaul for next gen because i want it to live on but i also want to see what it can be at its max potential.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It really needs some NPC crew. Make their reaction times a bit slower so that player-based crews are still preferable, but right now the game is pretty closed off to solo players.

Havoc2049

The new Tall Tale looks really cool. I hope it’s on the shorter side, like the last Tall Tale. Some of the old Tall Tales take forever to finish, especially without a save feature.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I keep trying to get into this game, but I really wish it was easier to solo. Sometimes I just want to explore the sees alone, but it gets painfully annoying with the bombardment of high level players.

Wish they would add a "solo" server. Where it is only people in 1 person crews.

Havoc2049

I keep trying to get into this game, but I really wish it was easier to solo. Sometimes I just want to explore the sees alone, but it gets painfully annoying with the bombardment of high level players.

Wish they would add a "solo" server. Where it is only people in 1 person crews.
I soloed about 25% of the time on my way to Pirate Legend. It is very doable. It is fairly easy to solo when first starting out. The missions from the Gold Hoarders, Merchant Alliance and Order of Souls are all fairly short up until about Level 30. Only sloop Skeleton Ships will randomly attack you and they are fairly easy to take out. Sail towards an island when a megalodon starts to mess with you. Don't be shy about ditching missions and buying another. Avoid stuff like trafficing pigs in the Merchant Alliance as they are hard to deal with solo and avoid searching for treasure or killing skull captains in the middle of large islands.

The Legends of the Sea stuff is all easy to solo and this is great for exploring and becoming familiar with the map. The first set of Tall Tales is fairly easy to solo as well.

There content updates are so god damn small. They have 2 ppl working on this game?

Rare is constantly updating SoT with new content. Nothing really to complain about there and they always have several massive updates each year. IMO, the dedication that Rare has shown to SoT is quite impressive and the community is quite healthy.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Double XP and Gold weekend. Good time to be on the Sea of Thieves.

EVO_Z6SUcAAe_wc

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

Flintty

I know GAF doesn’t care too much for SoT but lockdown made me revisit it with my two sons and we’be been having a great time. The game has been updated a hell of a lot since launch, it’s representative of what it should have been! We did the Flameheart quest a couple of days ago and it was superb.

anyway, another update today introducing emissaries for the factions, which looks like it could be useful!

They’ve also brought in pet cats. I caved literally two days ago and got my son a parrot. Now he wants a fucking cat.

Havoc2049

I've been on a SoT kick here of late as well. I just reached Athena Level 10 the other day, so that was cool. SoT is great and Microsoft's best new property this gen. I bought a monkey and one outfit. I'll probably buy a cat and one outfit...lol.

A few cool looking pics I took recently.

The Forsaken Shores
k0hZyHT.png

Skull Fort on the horizon.
qOQpPJp.png

Flintty

I've been on a SoT kick here of late as well. I just reached Athena Level 10 the other day, so that was cool. SoT is great and Microsoft's best new property this gen. I bought a monkey and one outfit. I'll probably buy a cat and one outfit...lol.

A few cool looking pics I took recently.

The Forsaken Shores
k0hZyHT.png

Skull Fort on the horizon.
qOQpPJp.png
Awesome. One of the best looking games this gen, especially 4K HDR.
I also got a monkey. I didn’t mind dropping a few quid considering three of us are playing it for peanuts and the support is pretty decent.
I haven’t done any Athena quests yet. Haven’t even seen the quest giver 😖

Top Bottom