• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

Amory

Finally got around to trying Sea of Thieves. I really dig the vibe of this game, especially as a solo experience, weirdly. It's exciting and calming at the same time to busy myself with the tasks of sailing my ship around, completing a quest, and trying to avoid other players.

But I have to say, while I fully appreciate the title is Sea of Theives and pirates are gonna pirate, I get very frustrated when I spend an hour completing a quest and then get pillaged by another crew the second I reach an outpost. It's part of the game. I get it. But no other gaming experience in recent memory has crystallized for me just what a waste of time gaming can be, when I just killed an hour in the game and made exactly zero progression.

The Catch 22 is while I enjoy the experience of playing the game most when I'm solo, playing the game solo makes you wide open to getting wiped out, which isn't fun at all.

nikolino840

Finally got around to trying Sea of Thieves. I really dig the vibe of this game, especially as a solo experience, weirdly. It's exciting and calming at the same time to busy myself with the tasks of sailing my ship around, completing a quest, and trying to avoid other players.

But I have to say, while I fully appreciate the title is Sea of Theives and pirates are gonna pirate, I get very frustrated when I spend an hour completing a quest and then get pillaged by another crew the second I reach an outpost. It's part of the game. I get it. But no other gaming experience in recent memory has crystallized for me just what a waste of time gaming can be, when I just killed an hour in the game and made exactly zero progression.

The Catch 22 is while I enjoy the experience of playing the game most when I'm solo, playing the game solo makes you wide open to getting wiped out, which isn't fun at all.
In party Is Better. ..

you have tried to ask alliance when you see a ship? Not all players are dickhead...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Yep. One of the main reasons why I really wish there was a queue/server that fills with only solo players and scales the encounters down for solo players. I know some would suggest this to be against the core of the game, or a way to exploit it, but a single player will already be slower than a group, get less treasure than a group, and won't level as quickly as in a group. It balances itself out so solo only servers aren't going to magically become some sort of boosting method.

Sometimes I just want to sail around and do stuff solo when friends aren't online, but doing so majorly punishes you.

Amory

Yep. One of the main reasons why I really wish there was a queue/server that fills with only solo players and scales the encounters down for solo players. I know some would suggest this to be against the core of the game, or a way to exploit it, but a single player will already be slower than a group, get less treasure than a group, and won't level as quickly as in a group. It balances itself out so solo only servers aren't going to magically become some sort of boosting method.

Sometimes I just want to sail around and do stuff solo when friends aren't online, but doing so majorly punishes you.
I think a solo server is a good idea. Much better solution than a pure PvE server. But overall I respect how principled Rare has been in not making those kinds of concessions.

The game can be brutally frustrating when you get robbed, but on the other hand the threat of losing all your shit is also what gives the game its spice. It gets me more absorbed in the world and forces me to role play, when I've loaded up my ship and then have to be up in the crow's nest, scanning the horizon for potential threats, adjusting my route as necessary.

What I absolutely hate though is the outpost camping. If you manage to ransack my boat while I'm out digging up treasure on an island, or attack me on the high seas, hey that's piracy and it adds to the experience of playing the game. But if you're just sat watching an outpost waiting for solo players to come in with their stuff and then swooping in, that just feels like BS. If I have 3 or 4 things to unload from my boat and I'm approaching an outpost, I have two choices: drop anchor quickly in a non ideal spot or take extra time maneuvering my boat so I can dock closer to shore and unload quicker. In either case, a crew monitoring me is gonna get to my boat before I'm done unloading. So at that point, the only thing determining if I can finish my quest or not is the random chance that no one else is in the vicinity of the outpost.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think a solo server is a good idea. Much better solution than a pure PvE server. But overall I respect how principled Rare has been in not making those kinds of concessions.

The game can be brutally frustrating when you get robbed, but on the other hand the threat of losing all your shit is also what gives the game its spice. It gets me more absorbed in the world and forces me to role play, when I've loaded up my ship and then have to be up in the crow's nest, scanning the horizon for potential threats, adjusting my route as necessary.

What I absolutely hate though is the outpost camping. If you manage to ransack my boat while I'm out digging up treasure on an island, or attack me on the high seas, hey that's piracy and it adds to the experience of playing the game. But if you're just sat watching an outpost waiting for solo players to come in with their stuff and then swooping in, that just feels like BS. If I have 3 or 4 things to unload from my boat and I'm approaching an outpost, I have two choices: drop anchor quickly in a non ideal spot or take extra time maneuvering my boat so I can dock closer to shore and unload quicker. In either case, a crew monitoring me is gonna get to my boat before I'm done unloading. So at that point, the only thing determining if I can finish my quest or not is the random chance that no one else is in the vicinity of the outpost.

Yep! I don't mind getting robbed or facing off against other pirates. I just want a more balanced experience. Sure you *could* survive against a galleon of 4 players as a solo player, but that is incredibly difficulty to do. The other players would have to be braindead. However, if there was a solo world, you would compete against other people who are similarly equipped. It could also bring the joy of seeing two ships going all Pirates of the Carribean 3 on another' player's ass.

Havoc2049

Never underestimate the power of a dedicated and crafty sloop crew. I love the challenge of sailing around in a sloop.

IdKt1e8.png

xDxsqJC.png

Schmick

Sea of Thieves is one of my favourites multiplayer games. There's not many games that gives you that sense of tension when you meet another crew. Are they going to be nice or are they going to attack?

I know a lot of players find it frustrating when a random crew steals your treasure I'm just curious as to why. Don't you mix it up yourself? Sometimes ally with others crews and others be an out-right bastard to them.

Amory

Sea of Thieves is one of my favourites multiplayer games. There's not many games that gives you that sense of tension when you meet another crew. Are they going to be nice or are they going to attack?

I know a lot of players find it frustrating when a random crew steals your treasure I'm just curious as to why. Don't you mix it up yourself? Sometimes ally with others crews and others be an out-right bastard to them.
For me I'm just starting out so I haven't really gotten into PvP stuff yet. But I'm definitely just going to have to 'git gud' in some respects if I ever want to progress in the game, during solo play or otherwise.

I'm gonna have to learn how to defend my ship in PVP, and how to maneuver quickly and efficiently in general

Havoc2049

Checkpoints in Tall Tales is a nice quality of life update. Many of the Tall Tales took two to four hours to complete, and that was without anyone fucking with you.

The Fort Nights should encourage some fun and craziness around the Skull Forts.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Check points really ate the game changer. Some of those are stupid long especially if you are going in with an inexperienced crew.

nikolino840

Check points really ate the game changer. Some of those are stupid long especially if you are going in with an inexperienced crew.
Or if you find some Trolls...i'm ok if some crew fight your boat to steal,but sometimes i find "Kids" that Just trolls you...i found one guy Hiding in my boat killing me everytime i respawn...and After that he throw the Key of the storyline in the Sea....and After he send me a message saying "a was in your boat for 30 Min ahah"

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Or if you find some Trolls...i'm ok if some crew fight your boat to steal,but sometimes i find "Kids" that Just trolls you...i found one guy Hiding in my boat killing me everytime i respawn...and After that he throw the Key of the storyline in the Sea....and After he send me a message saying "a was in your boat for 30 Min ahah"

Is there not a way to disable random players?

nikolino840

Is there not a way to disable random players?
No
Some are asking at rare to make private servers but i think ruin the spirit of the game

But yeah not happen often but happen
For the most you make alliances with other crews that Is the most logical thing to do

Havoc2049

Had a great day sailing the Sea of Thieves with my eight year old daughter. Took on the ghost fleet, took down several skeleton sloops, reached Level 5 Emissary with the Order of Souls and completed the Emissary Mission.
R5QDgkd.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sea of Thieves currently 39 on Steamcharts. Has been dropping in popularity pretty hard over the last 10 days.

The honeymoon is over.

Great Hair

Banned
2 years ago
The limit at the moment is 1 ship per outpost. So, 6 ships with a crew size between 1-4. Basically, server size at the moment will be between 6-24 players. Seems like that is how they will be at launch as well.

36,000 : 24 = 1,500 instances add some more from W10, Gamepass, Xbox (3x?) 4,500 instances at 24 peeps = 108,000 concurrently at best, but far from the proclaimed 10,000,000.

Twitch "1 stream with 6 viewers"
Youtube Live "2 steams with 6 viewers"
Facebook Gaming "460 viewers"

nikolino840

2 years ago

36,000 : 24 = 1,500 instances add some more from W10, Gamepass, Xbox (3x?) 4,500 instances at 24 peeps = 108,000 concurrently at best, but far from the proclaimed 10,000,000.

10 mil is the total human being that have at least created a character, becouse is account based

Havoc2049

2 years ago

Not sure what you are going on about. Nobody has claimed SoT has 10 million people on at one time.

Not sure why you are posting selected stream numbers of streamers with hardly anyone watching. 🤣
I can find streams of the most popular online game in the world with either zero or only a few people watching.

Twitch currently has 7,056 people watching SoT streamers, with SoT streamers having a total of 2.05 million followers. BTW, it is currently off hours for SoT. The peak community engagement times for Twitch, Live and Steam is during the evening in the UK, where a large portion of the SoT community seems to be based, as Rare is a UK based developer and has a lot of fans there. RaufBaba25 currently has 2.87k people watching his stream and Pace22 currently has 1.68k viewers. Pace22 also has a fairly popular SoT YouTube channel and many of his videos have between 10k-40k views. During new content drops and Rare Twitch Drop events, many of the top SoT streamers will have 5k-10k viewers.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
How to fail in business: "Twitch currently has 7,056 people watching SoT streamers" using this as a measuring stick

Top Bottom