• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

Havoc2049

Reapers VS The World event trailer

Rare Thief giving a detailed breakdown of the event

Impressive Sea of Thieves drone light show over Sydney Harbor to celebrate the launch of Season 2

Urban

Started to play this game 3 days ago. A lot of fun but the missions all always the same but i have so much fun goofing around with my friends. 2 Days ago we had such a blast with a chain of events which were crazy!

1. we fight with another ship for the reaper chest. Finally we beat them and got it.
2. Three ships chase us and trying to get the chess again(you are shown on the map once you obtain it.
3. suddenly the sea below us gets dark and the kraken shows up. we fight and we life.
4. after that a ghost ship spawns next to us and starts attacking us.

the whole session took us around 3-4 hrs. it was such a intense gaming moment. :))))

elliot5

Started to play this game 3 days ago. A lot of fun but the missions all always the same but i have so much fun goofing around with my friends. 2 Days ago we had such a blast with a chain of events which were crazy!

1. we fight with another ship for the reaper chest. Finally we beat them and got it.
2. Three ships chase us and trying to get the chess again(you are shown on the map once you obtain it.
3. suddenly the sea below us gets dark and the kraken shows up. we fight and we life.

the whole session took us around 3-4 hrs. it was such a intense gaming moment. :))))
What gold hoarders rank are you? I started getting new types of missions like the vault missions at 25. Added some neat variety. Haven't done the other emissaries though

ManaByte

What gold hoarders rank are you? I started getting new types of missions like the vault missions at 25. Added some neat variety. Haven't done the other emissaries though
At 25 you get vaults for Gold Hoarders, Ghost Fleets for Souls, and Manifests for Merchants.

Fleets are almost impossible to solo. The other two can be done solo though. Manifests can be extremely profitable as long as you find the Captain's Key and get all of the crates. Very stressful diving to the ship over and over solo without a lookout though.

I play at least an hour of SoT most everyday. Continue to love it. It’s a different experience every time I set forth from whatever my starting outpost is.

I’ve heard there may be some big Sea of Thieves developments at E3. Let’s hope so. There is an incredible existing framework to which Rare can add all sorts of goodness.

Havoc2049

It seems like the Duke mini-adventure and all the building at each outpost is leading up to a big expansion for the game. Maybe the southwest portion of the map will finally open up. Hopefully there will be a trailer and reveal at E3.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I play at least an hour of SoT most everyday. Continue to love it. It’s a different experience every time I set forth from whatever my starting outpost is.

I’ve heard there may be some big Sea of Thieves developments at E3. Let’s hope so. There is an incredible existing framework to which Rare can add all sorts of goodness.

It's by far one of the best games on the market, but since it's not a third-person 10 hour cinematic adventure with slow walking and talking scenes GAF dismisses it.

elliot5

Did another vault tonight with friends. Only needed the first map piece to find the X so we skipped the other two, unlike our first voyage.

Achievement popped when we dug without finishing the map lol. I love when you earn achievements like this just by playing naturally. Rare are so good.

Urban

Im 35. Yes you do get new missions but they play the same. If you know what i mean? There is not much variaty but still a good game tho.
A big update was a enemy with a barrel(which are deadly as fuck xD).

But this game lives with his MP/Social part. Gameplay wise i wouldnt recommend it to someone who is searching for a "adventure" game but social whise its a lot of fun.
The watersystem and the waves are so beautiful

The thing that surprises me is that I hear people say the game is horrible for the solo player. I achieved Pirate Legend as a solo player and I am quite proud of this fact. Was it a grind at times? Yep. But I think there is no better way to master the game than to handle all of your ship’s systems on your own. I can make a sloop positively dance out upon the virtual waves.

It's by far one of the best games on the market, but since it's not a third-person 10 hour cinematic adventure with slow walking and talking scenes GAF dismisses it.

Eh, I wouldn’t worry about it. Sea of Thieves is a massively successful game and the numbers back it up. What greater-Gaf thinks about it doesn’t change this fact. And congrats on your impending Pirate Legend status ManaByte ManaByte !

The game can be great however it’s mishandled by the devs, it’s constantly broken, bugs, glitches and some of the worst hit reg in any game I’ve seen. The PVP side of it is an absolute joke. Then when it comes to PVE they just recycle the same content over and over, the first year of the game was the most creative. It has become a joke ever since they added “seasons”.

However it’s still a great game to just shoot the shit with friends overseas and kill a few hours. There is something there, it just isn’t being realised In the best way.

Last edited:
Now I know this is a troll. The game is the best open PVP since the original UO release.
Bro, I have thousands of hours in this game since the Alpha. The PVP is broken as all hell and it got worse as time has gone on. This is nothing new, everyone knows this. The fuck experience do you have as a noob to deem me a troll? Wise up.

Last edited:

Urban

What i dont understand is. Why cant i start a Solo Game and have my friends join, so we can sail with 4 people? Often times im starting solo and they come later.
So all my progress with looting(food,ammunition etc.) I know that you can loot it pretty fast but most of the time i have found bottles with treasure hints to and all that progress is lost because i need to go to the menu and start a new game with all of my friends again.

@pvp today i discovered that you can d a swift jump to the side if you have block active. pretty good on the pvp part.

ManaByte

What i dont understand is. Why cant i start a Solo Game and have my friends join, so we can sail with 4 people? Often times im starting solo and they come later.
So all my progress with looting(food,ammunition etc.) I know that you can loot it pretty fast but most of the time i have found bottles with treasure hints to and all that progress is lost because i need to go to the menu and start a new game with all of my friends again.

Huh? They can join as long as you're on a ship big enough for that amount of players. If you start a game on a Sloop, they can't join because that's a two-player ship. Three is a Brigantine, then you'd need a Galleon for 4.

Urban

Huh? They can join as long as you're on a ship big enough for that amount of players. If you start a game on a Sloop, they can't join because that's a two-player ship. Three is a Brigantine, then you'd need a Galleon for 4.

Yeah why cant i start Solo --> join with my friends a party --> sink my ship and summon a Galleon? Why do i need to end my game, go to the menu and start a new session with a big ship and loose all my progress?

Yeah why cant i start Solo --> join with my friends a party --> sink my ship and summon a Galleon? Why do i need to end my game, go to the menu and start a new session with a big ship and loose all my progress?
The developers say this is due to their matchmaking algorithm. They want to have a balance across servers of mixed ship types.

I agree with you though, its about time they figured their shit out and allowed you to change ship type mid session.

ManaByte

So close to Pirate Legend I can taste it. Going to grind a lot this week...

happy hour drinking GIF

ManaByte

So I was doing a solo vault run. Found the key chest with only two map pieces. This brigantine showed up at the island, and both guys jumped out and killed me to steal the key chest.

Fuck them with a rusty rapier.

I respawned, and they were still on the island. So I ran on their ship and checked out what they had below.

Dumbasses had gunpowder.

Firebombed their ship, which ignited the gunpowder and it sank.

I killed both of them on the island and looted their chests AND my key chest.

Havoc2049

The unexpected moments in this game can be such a blast. My crew and I had an epic gally session today. We took a Fort of the Damned from a sloop and brig alliance, who committed too much to tucking on the fort and their ships were always down a person or two and were easy to sink. It was a long extended battle though and we sunk each ship twice. At one point a tucker even took the fort key off our ship, but in the end we ended up with the majority of the loot. Although I sacrificed some kegs to kill the other crew in the vault. :p

Then we moved on to a Fort of Fortune and formed an alliance with another galleon who wanted to do the Glitterbeard event (requires 8 people). We fought off repeated assaults by another galleon and a two sloops before finally taking that fort. One of the sloops had a really good crew and were hard to sink.

By the end of the session we must have sunk like 9 or 10 ships and finished it off with a chill moment around the Glitterbeard tree on Plunder Valley.

Sailing the seas like a boss...lol
pB1QZcQ.png

Last edited:

elliot5

My friends and I went to an island for a vault and while searching around for the door I stumbled upon what looked like just a stash someone left behind?? Like 4 skulls, 6 chests, 5 or 6 resource crates, some loose items... it was crazy. Between our first pit stop, that haul, and the vault loot I think I made something like 80k gold. Good shit.

We were 1 pixel off from rank 5 gold hoarder emissary though which is lame.

ManaByte

Friend and I emptied 2 vaults tonight after finding out how you can solve the vault puzzle with just one doubloon used.

elliot5

Friend and I emptied 2 vaults tonight after finding out how you can solve the vault puzzle with just one doubloon used.
yup i figured out that after my first vault (which i didnt even know there was a hidden chest) and so i make sure to do that ASAP. that one chest is worth almost as much as the rest of the vault.

Tonight's vault was a pain because we had to get ALL The scrap pieces to find the X location

Last edited:

ManaByte

yup i figured out that after my first vault (which i didnt even know there was a hidden chest) and so i make sure to do that ASAP. that one chest is worth almost as much as the rest of the vault.

Tonight's vault was a pain because we had to get ALL The scrap pieces to find the X location

You waste so much time finding the doubloons. So while I do the puzzle he drops all of the chests from above on the ground and then we just run them all out.

elliot5

You waste so much time finding the doubloons. So while I do the puzzle he drops all of the chests from above on the ground and then we just run them all out.
I did a solo vault earlier today and didn't get all the floor loot but i got all the chests out in time..... but it was on mermaid's hideout(?). That tunnel is LONG and winding, and then there's a decent walk to a shore for a rowboat. Hauling all of that up to the boat and then rowing out to my ship took so gd long. The chests ended up being like +90 + emissary bonus a piece. Not worth lmao

Last edited:

ManaByte

I've gotten very good at sinking ships with gunpowder kegs.

I had these two guys chasing me on a Sloop. I had three gunpowders down below. I jumped off the back of my ship with one, caught their ladder, and ignited it and dropped it down below. I jumped off the back of their ship as it exploded and I grabbed my mermaid.

As it sunk I yelled "suck it bitches" to them. ROFL.

elliot5

Holy shit I just realized you can use the harpoon to pull another player onto your ship.
Yep. It's quite handy when you have one on the boat and you're trying to leave asap. Harpoon to pull people and stuff, do a Tokyo drift while sailing, anchor yourself without using an anchor, or to inch you closer to a spot by reeling in.

Havoc2049

I've gotten very good at sinking ships with gunpowder kegs.

I had these two guys chasing me on a Sloop. I had three gunpowders down below. I jumped off the back of my ship with one, caught their ladder, and ignited it and dropped it down below. I jumped off the back of their ship as it exploded and I grabbed my mermaid.

As it sunk I yelled "suck it bitches" to them. ROFL.
Did you hit Pirate Legend yet?

Havoc2049

49 with Souls, 45 with Hoarders. Been focusing on hitting 100 before next week. At 95 right now.
Woot, almost there! If you want someone to sail with this Fri or Sat, let me know. I'm working on the Dark Adventurer set and have been doing a little bit of everything to earn gold.

ManaByte

Half way through 49 with Souls. If I fly the flag tonight and really get a bunch of big skulls, I should hit 50 or be really close.

Then it's just 5 levels for Gold Hoarders and I'm a Pirate Legend!

johnny depp fangirl challenge GIF

elliot5

kind of annoying this expansion doesn't get a review score in its own right or reviews don't get updated for SOT since launch. The Metacritic is very misleading given its a snapshot of release

Banjo64

cumsessed
kind of annoying this expansion doesn't get a review score in its own right or reviews don't get updated for SOT since launch. The Metacritic is very misleading given its a snapshot of release
Agreed. The issue with ‘service games’ is that they evolve so much over time that they are essentially completely different products after a couple of years.

Steam reviews tells the accurate story of SOT; 90% of 115,000 reviews are positive.

Havoc2049

They just want to give me Devil's Roar missions.
Ya, it's annoying when that happens. If you go see Larriana, you can buy a Thieves Haven Athena mission from her and do that. Get one and put the mission down and run back and get a second. Raise the Athena Emissary and two Thieves Haven runs should max out your Emissary. Get a green and red flame from the Ferry of the Damned to kill the Athena Skeleton Captains (green is always first). It is the quickest was to level up Athena, especially with a crew, as you can always leave one person on Thieves Haven.

ManaByte

Ya, it's annoying when that happens. If you go see Larriana, you can buy a Thieves Haven Athena mission from her and do that. Get one and put the mission down and run back and get a second. Raise the Athena Emissary and two Thieves Haven runs should max out your Emissary. Get a green and red flame from the Ferry of the Damned to kill the Athena Skeleton Captains (green is always first). It is the quickest was to level up Athena, especially with a crew, as you can always leave one person on Thieves Haven.

Tried that tonight. Was a nightmare with a level 5 Reaper Galleon camping Thieves Haven.

Top Bottom