• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

Havoc2049

Tried that tonight. Was a nightmare with a level 5 Reaper Galleon camping Thieves Haven.
LOL... Ya, if I see an Athena emissary up and I'm near Thieves Haven, I'll sometimes do a drive by to see if there is some easy loot to be had. 😅

I'll search until I find a quite server if I want to do something time consuming like that, or alliance up with other worker bee friendlies.

Last edited:

ManaByte

My friend and I just sunk a Galleon in a Sloop.

We were being chased by a Galleon. Full of skulls. They were catching us, and we were resolved to losing the ship.

Until we saw some debris in the water, including two gunpowder barrels.

They were directly behind us. I had my friend take the wheel and I jumped out and grabbed a gunpowder. I waited until I was right under the Galleon and then BOOM. Sunk the fucker.

elliot5

traveled to the fire tornado in the sky and wasn't expecting it to be a fucking raid boss basically lmao

some russian (?) dudes showed up to alliance with us and helped us defeat her and then we all cashed in and got paid $$. surprisingly peaceful

Havoc2049

Best tips for someone new looking to start with a buddy next week?
A useful app for your pad or phone is the Sea of Thieves Companion App. It's an interactive map of the world and a useful guide. There is also a web based version:

New Player Guide

This is a little outdated, but still a good overview of the 1-2 player sloop.

ManaByte

Man Stronghold powder kegs sell so well…
…but they’re also the closest thing in the game to a tactical nuke.

Last edited:

elliot5

Man Stronghold powder kegs sell so well…
…but they’re also the closest thing in the game to a tactical nuke.
yeah powder kegs sell for like 150 and then the stronghold ones are like 5000 gold lmao

any tips on how to speed up the stronghold runs? i play with my cousin and ill usually have one person luring others and one cannoning skellies like the armored ones, but it seems like even cannoning the final boss takes so gd long.
our second run went much faster than our first because at first we kept dying as the boss kept fuckin' healing until we showered cannons on them. save the powder kegs on the island for the final boss instead of using them throughout?

ManaByte

yeah powder kegs sell for like 150 and then the stronghold ones are like 5000 gold lmao

any tips on how to speed up the stronghold runs? i play with my cousin and ill usually have one person luring others and one cannoning skellies like the armored ones, but it seems like even cannoning the final boss takes so gd long.
our second run went much faster than our first because at first we kept dying as the boss kept fuckin' healing until we showered cannons on them. save the powder kegs on the island for the final boss instead of using them throughout?
You can get stronghold kegs from Athena skeleton voyages.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm just past the maiden voyage part, gonna start properly later. Does it matter who's ship you sail in? Like if I always hop in my mates, will his ship upgrade quicker/better and I'll be left with a piece of shit?

ManaByte

I'm just past the maiden voyage part, gonna start properly later. Does it matter who's ship you sail in? Like if I always hop in my mates, will his ship upgrade quicker/better and I'll be left with a piece of shit?

There are no ship upgrades. That would completely unbalance the game.

ManaByte

I mean like the vanity and cosmetics? Am I gonna be in a raft while he's rocking a glamourous boat?

You unlock cosmetics, but you can use them on anyone's ship. So if you have cosmetics your friend doesn't have you can apply them to their ship as long as you're on their crew.

What really is the appeal of this game ?

The only thing i end up doing is just gather loot and sell. Gather some stuffs and sell, increase rep and xp and do more of the same. The tutorial section and first few hours of exploring and navigating the sea is amazing, but then you get to the core aspects of the game and its same jobs/fetch quests for 3 or so factions.

The islands i've been to don't seem to offer much either. Its just run around collect stuff. There are few interesting landmarks (reminded me of botw) but then you go there and there's nothing. Collect fruits, planks, cannons and treasures, rinse and repeat.

Does this get better ? Saw the new trailer which gives me an impression that there's more to it that what ive played so far. I want to like this game because it got certain charm to it. So gaf, is there a reason to continue with this game ? PS: Played solo and came across few players and they did nothing but shoot on sight and sink my ship.

Havoc2049

What really is the appeal of this game ?

The only thing i end up doing is just gather loot and sell. Gather some stuffs and sell, increase rep and xp and do more of the same. The tutorial section and first few hours of exploring and navigating the sea is amazing, but then you get to the core aspects of the game and its same jobs/fetch quests for 3 or so factions.

The islands i've been to don't seem to offer much either. Its just run around collect stuff. There are few interesting landmarks (reminded me of botw) but then you go there and there's nothing. Collect fruits, planks, cannons and treasures, rinse and repeat.

Does this get better ? Saw the new trailer which gives me an impression that there's more to it that what ive played so far. I want to like this game because it got certain charm to it. So gaf, is there a reason to continue with this game ? PS: Played solo and came across few players and they did nothing but shoot on sight and sink my ship.
There are 7 Factions to join and level up. There are 17 Tall Tales. There are 15 Bilge Rats events to complete in the Pirate Log. Then there is Season Three with Renown and Trials to complete. There are also Daily Deeds and Special Events (currently Flags of Friendship). More stuff to do than you have time. ;-)

Had some good times Saturday. Finished off Gold Hoarders and Athena Emissary ledgers and put a big dent in all the rest. Hit Level 100 Renown and made a sizable chunk of change. I tried to solo a Fort of Legend this morning, but it got too crazy with another player Brig and Sloop going after it as well. I did keg and sink the Brig before logging out. :)
vSkzqqg.png

The Ferry of The Damned needs fresh souls...
wKbKdyY.png

ManaByte

There are 7 Factions to join and level up. There are 17 Tall Tales. There are 15 Bilge Rats events to complete in the Pirate Log. Then there is Season Three with Renown and Trials to complete. There are also Daily Deeds and Special Events (currently Flags of Friendship). More stuff to do than you have time. ;-)

Had some good times Saturday. Finished off Gold Hoarders and Athena Emissary ledgers and put a big dent in all the rest. Hit Level 100 Renown and made a sizable chunk of change. I tried to solo a Fort of Legend this morning, but it got too crazy with another player Brig and Sloop going after it as well. I did keg and sink the Brig before logging out. :)
vSkzqqg.png

The Ferry of The Damned needs fresh souls...
wKbKdyY.png

What sail is that?

Havoc2049

I played SoT on my phone with touch controls today.

high quality GIF
That's cool. How was the xCloud experience? How were the touch controls? Does it have to be on Wi-Fi or can you even play with 4G or 5G?

I've synced my Series Xbox controller to my phone to play cell phone games, but have yet to try out xCloud. I've been thinking about playing The Bards Tale Trilogy on my phone, as it's a simple slow paced turn based RPG.

ManaByte

That's cool. How was the xCloud experience? How were the touch controls? Does it have to be on Wi-Fi or can you even play with 4G or 5G?

I've synced my Series Xbox controller to my phone to play cell phone games, but have yet to try out xCloud. I've been thinking about playing The Bards Tale Trilogy on my phone, as it's a simple slow paced turn based RPG.
Played it on WiFi. Took a few minutes to get used to the controls, but I was able to get on my ship and set sail fine. Worked amazingly actually.

Havoc2049

Whoa.... WTF....On my cell phone right now and just started up a game with a 4G LTE connection!! I couldn't get the look (right thumb stick) to work. Need to mess with the control settings, or better yet, sync a controller. This is way cool, especially for grinding simple stuff like Merchant or Tall Tales. SoT on the road, bitches!!!! Gamepass Ultimate for the frikin' win!!! Lol 🤣

elliot5

SoT runs beautifully since the upgrades to xCloud. I sometimes experience a weird thing where the controls are moving a cursor around but once I get past that it's smooth sailing

ManaByte

Guy got a lucky shot on us tonight and sunk us. So we hunted him down, killed him, sunk his ship and recovered everything he stole from us.
tumblr_lvnf2zS3Xc1qjhjdwo11_r1_500.gif

elliot5

took down an ashen lord with some dudes in a brig or galleon that saw us in our sloop from golden sands outpost. allianced with them and all went well. No issue splitting loot and turning in.

skeleton ship popped up as we approached the outpost and we had no wood left from the ashen fight, so I had to run on shore and find scraps while my cousin bailed water

the skeletons just circled the outpost continuously as we offloaded the loot, hitting cannonballs from literally across the outpost at ridiculous ranges lol.

eventually we sold everything and decided to fuck those skeletons up. made for an easy turn-in though!

Havoc2049

Great time to log-in and level up rep to get closer to Pirate Legend or get closer to the level cap for the various factions.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Explosion noise here! Fans of death, explosions, quality workmanship and explosions can sail the seas with some Pandorian panache thanks to the Mayhem Ship Set, available to earn now in Sea of Thieves. Pirates and bandits alike can earn this sunny symbol of chaos by accruing enough Favour in the Making Mayhem Event before 10am BST Sept 7th 2021.

Havoc2049

Ghoul and Glory Weekend, for double gold and experince! Great time to hit Pirate Legend, hit max faction or Athena level, or get extra gold for that crazy expensive Dark Adventurer gear!

One week left in the Fury of the Damned event. The community has already reached top tier community award with 150 million skeletons smashed. 🏴‍☠️😱☠️💀

Last edited:

ManaByte

Also I was thinking of starting a thread in the gaming section offering to take newbies on training cruises. The only requirement is that they finish Maiden Voyage (have the achievement).

If anyone wants to volunteer to take out newbies and teach them how fun the game is you can post in the thread.

Havoc2049

A cannon on a rowboat is awesome and should lead to some craziness. You know people are going to want to get a flotilla of rowboats with cannons going. 🤣

Last edited:

Havoc2049

If anyone wants to volunteer to take out newbies and teach them how fun the game is you can post in the thread.
I'm down. 😎👍

Gold and Glory over the long weekend.

Two free Halo shipsets for just logging in and setting sail over the next two weeks. OG Spartan set this week and Noble Spartan set next week.

Kev Kev

just started playing this and its great! feeling wind waker vibes setting sail. i love being on the water in the ship. i love that i can go down into the cabin and pile up my loot ad chests. i love the island hubs and how they feel very monkey island-esque (even tho i never played that game).

looking forward to play the shit out of this game! my xbox controllers started to drift so its ind of a pain right now, but ill be really diving in once my new controller arrives.

Kev Kev

Do you guys have the map memorized? It’s fun finding the islands on the table maps, but then you’ll take me 10 minutes to find a small one and in like okay there’s gotta be an easier way lol. I guess you just memorize where they are after a while though

Havoc2049

Do you guys have the map memorized? It’s fun finding the islands on the table maps, but then you’ll take me 10 minutes to find a small one and in like okay there’s gotta be an easier way lol. I guess you just memorize where they are after a while though.
You will eventually become familiar with the map. The Rare Thief companion web site and app for iOS and Android is extremely useful for finding islands, Merchant Alliance trading and guides for events and Tall Tales.

A fishing guide is also useful.
4CHlToEESpa5iJ3W5JNT3q8LLRXUsmzTawJ7qDP5jms.png

Kev Kev

TL;DR are journals always as hard to find as they are in The Maiden Voyage?

I finally finished up the collectibles in Maiden Voyage and not gonna lie they were a bitch to find. I found 7 books on my own and had to looks up the last 3. Also had to look up the key.

Shitty thing is, I scoured every inch of that island (walking slow, swimming, climbing, digging in random spots, etc), I searched for hours on 3 separate days, and the places the other 3 were located were areas I’d passed by a dozen times. The books were so well camouflaged that I almost would have had to find them on accident.

Even worse, I knew where the key was but it was so buried in the sand and ridiculously hard to spot that I’d have never thought they would hide it that well. I never would have found it had I not looked it up.

I love well hidden stuff, but it should be clever and mildly challenging, not literally the same color as the place it’s hidden and so small and difficult to detect that you can look right at it and not even notice it.

Still tho, I had a blast searching the island!

I’ve started A Pirates Life tall tale and completed a dozen or so Gold Hoarders contracts (found some bounty skulls along the way too). I’ve died a lot and it’s been devastating at times, losing 3 chests and over 2 hours of progress. But I keep thinking about the game and how much fun sailing and exploring is, so I’m going to keep at it.

I did notice there are more journals to find in Tall Take adventures, are they just as difficult to find? Or is that just Maiden Voyage where they are so well hidden?

TL;DR are journals always as hard to find as they are in The Maiden Voyage?

I finally finished up the collectibles in Maiden Voyage and not gonna lie they were a bitch to find. I found 7 books on my own and had to looks up the last 3. Also had to look up the key.

Shitty thing is, I scoured every inch of that island (walking slow, swimming, climbing, digging in random spots, etc), I searched for hours on 3 separate days, and the places the other 3 were located were areas I’d passed by a dozen times. The books were so well camouflaged that I almost would have had to find them on accident.

Even worse, I knew where the key was but it was so buried in the sand and ridiculously hard to spot that I’d have never thought they would hide it that well. I never would have found it had I not looked it up.

I love well hidden stuff, but it should be clever and mildly challenging, not literally the same color as the place it’s hidden and so small and difficult to detect that you can look right at it and not even notice it.

Still tho, I had a blast searching the island!

I’ve started A Pirates Life tall tale and completed a dozen or so Gold Hoarders contracts (found some bounty skulls along the way too). I’ve died a lot and it’s been devastating at times, losing 3 chests and over 2 hours of progress. But I keep thinking about the game and how much fun sailing and exploring is, so I’m going to keep at it.

I did notice there are more journals to find in Tall Take adventures, are they just as difficult to find? Or is that just Maiden Voyage where they are so well hidden?
Journals can be notoriously hard to find, there is a guide for them all on rarethief if you wanna do that. However there is a community that love scouring every inch of an island when they add new ones that get together and help each other out. RARE have a boner for shit like that so it will never change. I don’t mind it though.

Kev Kev

Journals can be notoriously hard to find, there is a guide for them all on rarethief if you wanna do that. However there is a community that love scouring every inch of an island when they add new ones that get together and help each other out. RARE have a boner for shit like that so it will never change. I don’t mind it though.
yeah i love trying to find them all. but im glad to know they are supposed to be super hard, that way i know its not just me :messenger_grinning_sweat: and i wont feel as bad looking it up, if it comes down to that. the graphics and environment are just beautiful to look at and explore anyway. ok cool thanks for the help bud

Kev Kev

So there’s no way to play alone?

I just got killed by some random asshole in the middle of the ocean. I was just fishing minding my own business, I didn’t even have any loot on me. Why even kill another player or allow that to happen? I just turned the game off and it honestly kind of ruined my day.

Can I expect that to happen a lot?

Havoc2049

So there’s no way to play alone?

I just got killed by some random asshole in the middle of the ocean. I was just fishing minding my own business, I didn’t even have any loot on me. Why even kill another player or allow that to happen? I just turned the game off and it honestly kind of ruined my day.

Can I expect that to happen a lot?
It's part of the gameplay loop. I used to get mad when getting sunk and loosing loot when I first started playing. It's an open world MMO pirate game, so it's expected and it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I've been sunk and sunk many ships myself. The Reapers faction is set up to encourage PVP in the game world. If doing something low key like fishing, you can usually avoid trouble, but some people can be assholios and will still sink you for the hell of it.

Kev Kev

It's part of the gameplay loop. I used to get mad when getting sunk and loosing loot when I first started playing. It's an open world MMO pirate game, so it's expected and it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I've been sunk and sunk many ships myself. The Reapers faction is set up to encourage PVP in the game world. If doing something low key like fishing, you can usually avoid trouble, but some people can be assholios and will still sink you for the hell of it.
I don’t think I’m going to last long in this game, if that’s the case.

I just got killed and then respawned and killed again at an outpost. I was selling shit and some asshole comes crashing in and killed me in less than 10 seconds. There was nothing I could do.

I get the risk-reward concept, but if I am to expect a scenario where some other player will kill me every single time I play, and I will likely lose hours of progress, then I can’t imagine the reward being worth that risk.

I’ll keep plugging along and see how I feel about it as I go…

Top Bottom