• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

Kev Kev

My friend and I just sunk a Galleon in a Sloop.

We were being chased by a Galleon. Full of skulls. They were catching us, and we were resolved to losing the ship.

Until we saw some debris in the water, including two gunpowder barrels.

They were directly behind us. I had my friend take the wheel and I jumped out and grabbed a gunpowder. I waited until I was right under the Galleon and then BOOM. Sunk the fucker.
did that not kill you in the process?

whats the price for dying in this game? seems like i just respawn but dont really lose anything

---

Captain Newbie's Journal Entry #1: Trouble On The Bad Kid Sea's

ok so i just finished up a 2 hour or so session and had so much fun!!! but i was legit stressed out for nearly the entire time lol. my anxiety is actually piquing right now and not in a good way. yaaaaay that's.... fun? jk it was fun but PvP just isnt normally my thing so... its a big adjustment for me

after a dozen or so hours with the game total, it seems like i have no choice but to play with at least one other person (if i want to avoid having anxiety tweak outs). i kept running into the same sloop with 2 guys on it (i was solo), and they were following me around and stealing my shit, which i get it its "sea of thieves" not "sea of sunshine and rainbows", but it was soooo fucking annoying.

they would repair my ship and say sorry we need this chest and not kill me, but that honestly made it more annoying. they even followed me back to an outpost and stole another chest while i was trading stuff in. so i just quit after that. one of the chests they stole was a "reaper chest" which i was really excited to find because it was a ship wreck in the middle of the ocean. im not even sure what it was, but 10 minutes later they stole it and it was such a let down.

i mean.... i get the whole aspect of it not being a "peaceful" experience, and sea of thieves is mega popular so its obviously serving them fine, but i feel like a surrender option (like a white flag that makes you invulnerable but freezes your movement), or at the least making outposts a safe haven would help keep players from quitting like i just did. id have been happy to make an afternoon out of it and play for a couple more hours but i was so pissed off and exhausted from running away from those guys that i was just sick of the game.

none of that is going to happen tho, so i guess ill just do open crew for now on. im just more of a loner i guess, i dont care to have to work together with people in this game bc they tend to just shout directions at me and get pissed when im not sure why the hell they just jumped off the boat lol.

literally one dude said "we gotta go vote on blah blah blah" (not even sure wtf he was talking about), so he steers the ship straight into an outpost, gets off the wheel and jumps overboard. no anchor, no slowing down, no turning, he just bails lmao. and i had no idea he bailed because i was down stairs. so i come back up and right as i get up the stairs the ship slams into the shore, obviously breaking into a bajillion pieces. and the dude says to me "BRO WTF!? FIX IT". and i'm like mother fucker that was your fault what are you yelling at me for!?!?

i was like fuck off lol. there were a couple other situations like that before i got annoyed and quit. he clearly wanted to play with someone as he was very talkative, but we werent actually playing together if you know what i mean? he was going a million miles a minute and the whole time im typing "so wait what are we doing? where are we going?" and he wasnt very specific, he just kept running around shouting orders and jumping off the ship right before it crashed into an island, and then hed yell at me to fix it lol. i made it 20 minutes or so before i quit.

i have had some good experiences with others however, and i felt more protected, so thats good. maybe i just need to go up to the next size ship and try to stick with a crew of 2 or 3. i still havent tried out the biggest one yet.

anyway, im having some really good times with the game. def gonna keep playing, definitely not gonna stop coming to this thread to bitch and complain (hehehe), but i dont know how long im gonna last if it gives me anxiety this bad. hopefully sailing with a decent crew will help alleviate some of the head aches. i might take you up on that offer to play together one of these days Havoc2049 Havoc2049

what a cool experience this game is. now that i think of it, its really my first MMO experience. i usually avoid MMOs because of there monthly sub fees, but since this is rolled into gamepass i dont have to worry about it :D

if anyone wants to add my GT feel free to join me or message me if you see me on SoT on xbox. i dont have a microphone but i have hooked my keyboard up so we can communicate effectively enough

GT: Kev Kevn

Havoc2049

Ya, sailing open crew can be hit or miss. I like the challenge of solo slooping, but like to sail with other people as well. Myself and the people I sail with are chill.

The last time me and a friend sailed with a new player. We sunk a ghost fleet, a skeleton fleet and the new player was all kinds of happy.
njZkeB2.png

elliot5

did that not kill you in the process?

whats the price for dying in this game? seems like i just respawn but dont really lose anything

---

Captain Newbie's Journal Entry #1: Trouble On The Bad Kid Sea's

GT: Kev Kevn
Yeah first playing with some friends as 4 and even trying solo or duo with my cousin was really fun because of that anxiety. You stay on your toes and keep on the lookout at almost all times. Early on you have like 12 chests and think you're hot shit and don't want to lose it all to some larger, more experienced crew, after spending over an hour getting it. Then as you get more accustomed to the game and rank up your Gold Hoarders rank and whatnot you'll end up doing vault raids where you have to abandon your ship for a period of time, and haul as much loot out as possible. This is after first voyaging to 3 different islands somewhere across the game to get map fragments as to where the vault is! So you could get your key and map stolen before even getting to attempt to claim your fat haul!

When SoT "clicks" it is amazing. It's definitely better with a crew or at least competent crewmates even if random players.

Kev Kev

Ya, sailing open crew can be hit or miss. I like the challenge of solo slooping, but like to sail with other people as well. Myself and the people I sail with are chill.

The last time me and a friend sailed with a new player. We sunk a ghost fleet, a skeleton fleet and the new player was all kinds of happy.
njZkeB2.png
Yeah I need to sail more with other players if not just to be included in some of those kind of moments. Really cool that there are some chill players out there. A alway try to say “let’s team up” or something but they usually start firing before I’m within range 🤦‍♂️ So I kind of have to shoot on site if they are randoms

Killed 2 Megalodons today. First time.
Do you get anything for killing them?

- - -

General question… New season starts today, yeah? What does that means? I don’t play games with seasons and passes and events and all that shit, and even when I do I ignore all that stuff.

But I kinda want to know for this game. What should I look out for? Does this reset all my accomplishments, such as sailing 100 miles and stepping foot on every island/outpost? Are there any important/rewarding things I should check out?

Thanks for any help

Havoc2049

Yeah I need to sail more with other players if not just to be included in some of those kind of moments. Really cool that there are some chill players out there. A alway try to say “let’s team up” or something but they usually start firing before I’m within range 🤦‍♂️ So I kind of have to shoot on site if they are randoms

Do you get anything for killing them?

- - -

General question… New season starts today, yeah? What does that means? I don’t play games with seasons and passes and events and all that shit, and even when I do I ignore all that stuff.

But I kinda want to know for this game. What should I look out for? Does this reset all my accomplishments, such as sailing 100 miles and stepping foot on every island/outpost? Are there any important/rewarding things I should check out?

Thanks for any help
It just resets your seasonal accomplishments, not your Faction or Achievement progress. You don't have to buy the Plunder Pass, but it usually does have some cool unlocks. Just normal leveling up has tons of unlocks as well, unlike a popular FPS that just came out. 😜 New Seasons also bring new gameplay mechanics and anywhere from major to minor updates.

If you have Game Pass, you can get the Plunder Pass for $8.99 instead of $9.99.

ManaByte

Always buy the Plunder Pass. Always hit level 100.

This season's ship set is awesome.

Last season didn't have a capstan or cannons, which sucked.

elliot5

The royal revenge ship and the collector's figurehead and sails are downright gorgeous. Not worth $30 though lmao

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Captain Newbie's Journal Entry #2: Bad Kid Goes Vault Diving

did my first vault last night.

it was a bitch to find all the map pieces and everything, but after a couple hours i finally found it. i had no idea what to expect, so when i realized the vault was going to shut i just started grabbing chests lol. i got as many out as i could and then just grabbed as much gold as i could till i drowned. missed some shark medallions and other pieces that i assume were very expensive. the chests themselves were mostly ony worth a few hundred gold each 🤦‍♂️ i was kinda freaking out and i left sooooo much in there tho lol, i could have gotten a ton more if i had been more precise with movements, or did it with a partner or two.

the-office-question.gif

is there a way to stop or slow a vault door from closing?

i noticed there was a little pond that said "solution" and you could click a button but i couldnt figure it out and didnt want to waste time on it.

it was super exciting opening the vault up and seeing all that treasure tho!!! i was look OH SHIT!!! i didnt even realize i could grab the gold laying around, at first. but i think that worked out better because i could keep collecting gold until i drowned.

the-office-question.gif

do you lose any gold for dying?

i just realized it have not mattered if it charges gold for dying.... oh well.

oh and i also did my first ship wreck, which was some of the most fun ive had so far. found ten pieces of loot/chests, got $1k for each merman i killed and really cashed in. that was super fun and im looking forward to doing more dives.

this game is so addicting, but also so uber frustrating at times. i wish there were less enemies on islands. they seem to pop up about every 3-5 minutes and it just gets obnoxious after a while. other players continue to be assholes sometimes, but ive run into some nice people and figured out how to make alliances, so that problem is better...

the-office-question.gif

do they throttle player interaction towards the beginning of seasons?

i swear to god im seeing way less other players out there. perhaps they are too busy completing all the new events and challenges? i dunno, it just seems like when i first started a week or two ago, i was running into people left and right, getting my shit sunk and stolen nearly every time i played.

also, trying to find some of these buried treasure can be a huge pain in the ass. having to walk back every single pice of loot is rather stupid as well. like, i get it, they are encouraging you to play with others, but man i wish they had a wheel barrel piece of equipment that you could load up like 5-10 chests/pieces of loot or whatever. and i still have yet to actually take down a skeleton ship...

the-office-question.gif

how many effing canon balls does it take!? sheesh.

i feel like with some tweeks the game could be so much better. but at the same time, there is something very unique about the feeling of being in a game world where i cant save and everything could go to shit in a matter of second or minutes. except when it actually happens and i get pissed off and never want to play the game again lol.

ah well, im still in it for the time being. thanks for reading.

happy sailing, pirate fuckers!

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The pool of water in the middle of the vaults is a puzzle to open up a treasure door inside the vault. Put all three coins in the slots and the pool reveals the solution. Go to each column and put the solution in and the fourth column is a combo of all three. Then press the button on the pool and it reveals a Chest of Ancient Tribute, which is worth quite a bit of gold. The vault door stays open for three minutes.

Some servers are busy and some servers are quite or just have a bunch of people doing their own thing and not looking for trouble. It also depends on the time of day. The evenings and weekends are busier and have more full sized crews.

I have tomorrow off and some friends and I will probably do some sailing. You are more than welcome to join us. We'll do vaults or whatever you want to work on. I know I still need to finish some of my high level Vault commendations to earn the sails. My other friend and I are also working on completing 250 missions for the Order of Souls and Merchant Alliance Commendation and Achievement, so we are more than happy to work on that as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The pool of water in the middle of the vaults is a puzzle to open up a treasure door inside the vault. Put all three coins in the slots and the pool reveals the solution. Go to each column and put the solution in and the fourth column is a combo of all three. Then press the button on the pool and it reveals a Chest of Ancient Tribute, which is worth quite a bit of gold. The vault door stays open for three minutes.

You only need the first coin. Just reveal the first pillar and you can figure out the other two based on the options on the third.

Kev Kev

im gonna have to check out of this game for a while. sailing is tedious, dropping anchor at a decent place near an island is always a disaster (i literally just crash land it and fix it now, lol its the easiest and quickest option), finding buried treasure is frustrating (especially if its a big island), enemies popping up and ambushing you every 2.5 minutes is obnoxious, the fact that i just sold 12 chests and barely broke 2k is just down right maddening (hours and hours of gameplay... and a piece for your ship is like 50k?? lmao get real man!).

*sigh* i love the potential of the gameplay loop, but all of the shit you have to do along the way just makes it feel like im moving through quicksand. at every corner the game tries to slow you down and make things tedious and annoying, and thats before even running into other players who all shoot on site despite the fact that working together can be very lucrative.

i think the game has insane potential, but the MMO design they built on top of it (although im sure mega profitable) isnt the best design to make the player feel empowered and have fun. it feels very anti-player at times, in fact. but hey man, i think that just means MMOs arent my thing, and its time for me to move on. im more of a solo player anyway, i dont really care for having to work with others when it comes to something like this, and im seems working with others is the key to making a shit ton of gold and stuff.

im still going to be playing it here and there for shits and giggles, but i wot be really aiming to "do all the things". ill just fire it up whenever im in the mood to sail around and be a pirate🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️ i do that with no mans sky in VR sometimes, just flying around is so much fun in that game

thanks for all the help and offering to let me join Havoc2049 Havoc2049 !!! i really appreciate GAFfers such as yourself who are genuinely helpful.

Last edited:

elliot5

im gonna have to check out of this game for a while. sailing is tedious, dropping anchor at a decent place near an island is always a disaster (i literally just crash land it and fix it now, lol its the easiest and quickest option), finding buried treasure is frustrating (especially if its a big island), enemies popping up and ambushing you every 2.5 minutes is obnoxious, the fact that i just sold 12 chests and barely broke 2k is just down right maddening (hours and hours of gameplay... and a piece for your ship is like 50k?? lmao get real man!).

*sigh* i love the potential of the gameplay loop, but all of the shit you have to do along the way just makes it feel like im moving through quicksand. at every corner the game tries to slow you down and make things tedious and annoying, and thats before even running into other players who all shoot on site despite the fact that working together can be very lucrative.

i think the game has insane potential, but the MMO design they built on top of it (although im sure mega profitable) isnt the best design to make the player feel empowered and have fun. it feels very anti-player at times, in fact. but hey man, i think that just means MMOs arent my thing, and its time for me to move on. im more of a solo player anyway, i dont really care for having to work with others when it comes to something like this, and im seems working with others is the key to making a shit ton of gold and stuff.

im still going to be playing it here and there for shits and giggles, but i wot be really aiming to "do all the things". ill just fire it up whenever im in the mood to sail around and be a pirate🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️ i do that with no mans sky in VR sometimes, just flying around is so much fun in that game

thanks for all the help and offering to let me join Havoc2049 Havoc2049 !!! i really appreciate GAFfers such as yourself who are genuinely helpful.
Here's a visual guide on how to unlock the key vault chest with just one medallion.

As a solo player you should have enough time to get most loot out but not all gold on the ground. Typically the items are worth more IF you are running higher tier and have an emissary going.

There's no way to slow it down. Just pick up and drop off right outside the closing door. Then haul everything out onto a rowboat to bring to your ship.

You do not lose gold for dying.

They do not throttle interaction, but when you spawn in the server you are placed at any outpost not super close to other players currently on the server to give you a bit of breather and prepare.

It takes a lot of cannonballs especially if they are repairing a ship while you are engaging them.

You should've seen how frequent the encounters were on the POTC patch when they introduced the new enemy types. They would spawn constantly. But they also dropped siren gems almost every time and were hella lucrative. At least now skeletons drop ammo pouches so you don't end up without bullets from all the spawning.

Sounds like to me you are low level in your rank and are not using emissary flags. ALWAYS fly an emissary flag for the gold hoarders if you're going on their quests (emissary any of the factions really). What this does is fly a flag on your ship for the emissary and as you load up more and more loot onto your ship your emissary value goes up to a max of tier 5. Your loot turned in is then given a bonus. At tier 5 i think the value is +125%. One of those Gold Hoarder vault puzzle chests can be turned in for multiple thousands with a good emissary rank (aka 5k on its own + 6k bonus = 11k total value). Something like that. With all your other little bits being turned in it REALLY adds up. Like a single higher tier vault quest on max emissary could end up being like, 90k+.

You'll end up gaining more gold as you rank up as your quests become higher value. Make sure you are buying the next upgrade at the Gold Hoarder or whatever. Like when you look at the quest offerings theres a thing at the top left to buy the next Rank within the Gold Hoarders. Those unlock higher tier quests.

Last edited:
x1

Kev Kev

Here's a visual guide on how to unlock the key vault chest with just one medallion.

As a solo player you should have enough time to get most loot out but not all gold on the ground. Typically the items are worth more IF you are running higher tier and have an emissary going.

There's no way to slow it down. Just pick up and drop off right outside the closing door. Then haul everything out onto a rowboat to bring to your ship.

You do not lose gold for dying.

They do not throttle interaction, but when you spawn in the server you are placed at any outpost not super close to other players currently on the server to give you a bit of breather and prepare.

It takes a lot of cannonballs especially if they are repairing a ship while you are engaging them.

You should've seen how frequent the encounters were on the POTC patch when they introduced the new enemy types. They would spawn constantly. But they also dropped siren gems almost every time and were hella lucrative. At least now skeletons drop ammo pouches so you don't end up without bullets from all the spawning.

Sounds like to me you are low level in your rank and are not using emissary flags. ALWAYS fly an emissary flag for the gold hoarders if you're going on their quests (emissary any of the factions really). What this does is fly a flag on your ship for the emissary and as you load up more and more loot onto your ship your emissary value goes up to a max of tier 5. Your loot turned in is then given a bonus. At tier 5 i think the value is +125%. One of those Gold Hoarder vault puzzle chests can be turned in for multiple thousands with a good emissary rank (aka 5k on its own + 6k bonus = 11k total value). Something like that. With all your other little bits being turned in it REALLY adds up. Like a single higher tier vault quest on max emissary could end up being like, 90k+.

You'll end up gaining more gold as you rank up as your quests become higher value. Make sure you are buying the next upgrade at the Gold Hoarder or whatever. Like when you look at the quest offerings theres a thing at the top left to buy the next Rank within the Gold Hoarders. Those unlock higher tier quests.

Wow this was insanely helpful! Great post! Thank you so much I will definitely be referencing this when I get t back around to playing, gonna take a break for now though, I’m just burned out on the game feeling like a chore with not much reward (because I didn’t know all that, now that I do, itll be much more rewarding. Thanks again!)

Im at like level 28 with gold hoarders and I DID know of the flag but when I went to buy it at the ship store I couldn’t find it and just gave up. Either way I had no idea it helped out that much (I didn’t know it helped at all tbh).

And yeah the vault puzzle I fucked up again, I’ll have to watch a YouTube video and reference your post if/when I do another vault. I spent 2 hours trying to get in there and walked away with like $2k, lol smh. I mean? I get that there’s a learning curve but man I’ve dumped probably 15-20 hours into the game and didn’t know about half of the shit you just told me about. Seems little unbalanced to me. And if it wasn’t for the game feeling like such a chore, then it’d be fine bc I’d still be playing right now and I’d eventually learn all that.

Ok cool, we’ll good to know that there is a ton of stuff I was doing wrong, that gives me a bit more hope for getting back into it. Thanks one more time bud (you too Havoc2049 Havoc2049 you guys are awesome)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Im at like level 28 with gold hoarders and I DID know of the flag but when I went to buy it at the ship store I couldn’t find it and just gave up. Either way I had no idea it helped out that much (I didn’t know it helped at all tbh).

There's a little table near each rep and you use that table to raise the emissary flag.

elliot5

Had a long session solo. Did a gold hoarder standard voyage and got to emissary 3 or so and turned some stuff in. Started the next voyage which was some extended 3 voyage buried treasure thing. And I did all the message in a bottles and skeleton orders that appeared. Lots of loot.

hit rank 5 easily and got a rowboat to bring my loot to shore. As I started turning my stuff in I hear cannon fire on my sloop around the corner. I couldn’t see the assailing ship so I rushed to turn my stuff in asap.

well this shithead sloop sunk my ship so I lost my emissary rank mid turning in a bunch of chests and trinkets. And then he just drove off. Fucker.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Had a long session solo. Did a gold hoarder standard voyage and got to emissary 3 or so and turned some stuff in. Started the next voyage which was some extended 3 voyage buried treasure thing. And I did all the message in a bottles and skeleton orders that appeared. Lots of loot.

hit rank 5 easily and got a rowboat to bring my loot to shore. As I started turning my stuff in I hear cannon fire on my sloop around the corner. I couldn’t see the assailing ship so I rushed to turn my stuff in asap.

well this shithead sloop sunk my ship so I lost my emissary rank mid turning in a bunch of chests and trinkets. And then he just drove off. Fucker.

That's when you hunt him down and suicide bomb him.

elliot5

You can still hunt him down. He has to be going to an outpost to unload.
The dude had nothing on him or taken anything from me and I had no idea where he was going or where I respawned at when I took the mermaid. I had played for like 3 hours so I was getting off anyway. I wish I had a headset on to talk shit though

ManaByte

The dude had nothing on him or taken anything from me and I had no idea where he was going or where I respawned at when I took the mermaid. I had played for like 3 hours so I was getting off anyway. I wish I had a headset on to talk shit though

Nah when that happens we'll sail around until we find the fucker and make them cry to their mommy for ever sinking us.

Havoc2049

Happy New Year GAF Pirates!

Another Gold and Glory Weekend! Great time to reach Pirate Legend and Beyond! 😜

Pro-Tip:
Playing during Gold Rush Hour (1800-1900 BST and 1800-1900 Pacific) for 3x the Gold. Trading in dubloons for gold during this time is great as well. Trading in 150 dubloons during Gold Rush will net you 90k in gold.

Havoc2049

The worst is when you're black screened and you hear the birds, the wind and water lapping against your new ship spawn.

Havoc2049

Season Six Community Day! Loot, Twitch Drops, sale on real life and digital SoT items and extra XP all day today!

Community Day explained.

this game is absurdly fun once you actually figure out how to play and get a good group of friends to play with

really glad I gave this game a second chance. It’s pretty amazing

Lasha

How do you get lifetime stats to update? My current voyage stat is always upgraded within the session but none of the stats persist between sessions. I've done two sessions of 500k each but my lifetime stat is 0.

Edit: I figured it out. Stats need to be selected from the pirate log to be reflected in the shipboard log.

Last edited:
How do you get lifetime stats to update? My current voyage stat is always upgraded within the session but none of the stats persist between sessions. I've done two sessions of 500k each but my lifetime stat is 0.

Edit: I figured it out. Stats need to be selected from the pirate log to be reflected in the shipboard log.
If you’re talking about shiplog with captaincy, it’s been a bit buggy for me

Lasha

Are there a lot more boosters now? I keep finding something like a galleon and sloop anchored and shooting at each other for like 20 minutes. Also seeing more 3-4 man sloops than usual.

Havoc2049

Are there a lot more boosters now? I keep finding something like a galleon and sloop anchored and shooting at each other for like 20 minutes. Also seeing more 3-4 man sloops than usual.
They were probably just boosting their Pirate Milestones by shooting each other and repairing their ship.

Top Bottom