• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seamus Blackley Says He Almost Got Fired for Comparing Gaming to Masturbating

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The video game industry has come a long way over the years, particularly in the two decades since the original Xbox was first released. Gaming has become far more mainstream, and it's much more socially acceptable for older gamers to enjoy the hobby. In the fall of 2001, Xbox creator Seamus Blackley spoke to reporter Dina Bass about the broad appeal of gaming, despite the fact that not everyone is open about it. Blackley likened gaming to masturbating, stating that "everybody does it, nobody wants to talk about it." Blackley's comment shows how much perceptions of gaming have changed, but apparently not everyone was laughing! Blackley revealed on Twitter that "this quote nearly got me fired from Microsoft."

"It was mainly that the quote appeared in the east side journal and some conservative spouses of executives read it and… I was summoned to building 4 shall we say," Blackley wrote on Twitter.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

According to Apple adverts, people just buy an iPhone just to hold it and adore it like a sacred work of art. According to their app store accounts, 70% of their revenue is from gaming.

Makes sense.

Employees be feeling themselves too much. You say what Marketing/PR tells you to say, and thats it.

In this case, quite literally.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

As long as you can’t play games from start to finish in a few minutes and going out with a bang, it’s nothing like each other

PhaseJump

Banned
I bought the Hyperkin Duke and it's always drifting hard on both sticks. Is it wrong for me to hope that he gets fired from his current job? 🤔

Top Bottom