• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Times Journalist Suspended After Harassing Writer With Gross Twitter DMs

Melubas

He already accepted it was him who send the text but he said it was intended for someone else. I'm not convinced, maybe he was drunk or drugged. Still it is ridiculous to ruin someone's life over a couple of inappropriate texts.

Ah ok, I missed that. In that case why the f**k would you send a text like that? Develop some social skills or flirting game dude (not you, him :) )! I agree that it's ridiculous to ruin someone's life over this, people need to stop crucifying people over stupid shit they said when drunk / in a bad place / really angry. In some aspects the world was a better place before we had access to instant messaging and had to call someone up to talk to them.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering the rest of the conversation, I feel it probably was a mistext, so it is a bit excessive of her to post that to his employer. Since he was married, it would be totally right of her to send it to his wife though. Posting it publically on top of sending it to his employer is just destroying him and I do not see how this is acceptable behaviour.
people need to stop crucifying people over stupid shit they said when drunk
I disagree, if you are drunk, then this (in almost all cases) is a state you willingly chose, so you are fully responsible for everything you do in that state. If you do not want to act stupid, do not take drugs, simple as that.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Probably a mistexts. The line makes no sense in relation to the 2 other messages. I don't think there'd be a reason for him to say that unless he was looking at a photo of her covered in cum so...

crowbrow

Banned
Ah ok, I missed that. In that case why the f**k would you send a text like that? Develop some social skills or flirting game dude (not you, him :) )! I agree that it's ridiculous to ruin someone's life over this, people need to stop crucifying people over stupid shit they said when drunk / in a bad place / really angry. In some aspects the world was a better place before we had access to instant messaging and had to call someone up to talk to them.
He's an idiot but this holier-than-thou types like her are always suspicious. They're usually completely morally broken themselves and just seeking attention or power over others.

sol_bad

He typed a dumb thing but she is a massive bitch for doing this. Just tell him to fuck off and threaten to tell his wife. End of story.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I disagree, if you are drunk, then this (in almost all cases) is a state you willingly chose, so you are fully responsible for everything you do in that state. If you do not want to act stupid, do not take drugs, simple as that.

Tell that to feminists who say that if a woman is drunk and fucks with a dude, that is rape.

Yoshi

Tell that to feminists who say that if a woman is drunk and fucks with a dude, that is rape.
If the woman in that state consents (in the sense that she says she is willing to have sex and remains conscious, without revoking her expressed consent), it is not rape and she is responsible for the sex as well. Still, morally you should not abuse such a state, even if it is self-inflicted.

Yoshi

But you said the other person is "fully responsible for everything you do in that state". If you are responsible, how is the other person's fault?
You are responsible, but the other person is responsible for his actions as well, and if the other person has reason to believe that the consent only is a consequence of the intoxicated state, then he should not act on that chance, because he can expect the other person to later regret it.

Jon Neu

Banned
You are responsible, but the other person is responsible for his actions as well, and if the other person has reason to believe that the consent only is a consequence of the intoxicated state, then he should not act on that chance, because he can expect the other person to later regret it.

But again, if you are responsible of you being drunk, your own words and your own logic dictates that nobody else is responsible of your actions but you. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Dunki

This really looks like a mistext. And it should be easily provable as well. Just show the rest of the conversation which fits in the context.

But yeah I do not buy that she does not want him to be fired when she already proudly said that she got one fired. Also the sentence that she is not accountable if the company shows that he should be fired is more than I need to know about her. She does not care about the truth. She wants his life destroyed for most likely is stupid misstext.

Hissing Sid

I believe him

1*uTWtPYgOdNsbVTi8CqNkWQ@2x.jpeg

So this is what Jabbas guards get up to after work.

Although to be fair the photos of her in this thread are less than flattering. I’m sure we all have photos that don’t accurately portray our true supermodel selves.

Maybe she has a beautiful smile?

Yeah that’ll be it, I bet when she smiles the universe just lights right up.

Uh....

Melubas

I agree that you should not get a free pass for doing stupid shit when drunk. Like, if you punch someone's face in due to a drunken bout of aggression off to jail / paying a fine you go! However, I do feel that there are levels. I've been drunk and said stupid shit that people were hurt by, but they called me out on it and I apologised. This new thing of hanging people out to dry on the eternal internet as soon as they say something dumb, without even letting them rectify it is stupid and harmful to society. People aren't perfect and will make mistakes. What kind of life is it when an off-beat comment haunts you forever? You're supposed to learn from that shit and move on. That's how people come together, they hash out their differences and realise there is common ground in there somewhere. That's now been relegated to "look at this asshole" and everyone hates him together (which I suppose is another kind of coming together but not very optimal).

Yoshi

But again, if you are responsible of you being drunk, your own words and your own logic dictates that nobody else is responsible of your actions but you. You can't have your cake and eat it.
Yes, but the other person is responsible for his own actions. The drunk person is responsible for his giving consent (or seeking) sexual intercourse. But so is the non-drunk person for his partaking in this. Sex is not an action from just one person.

Dunki

Yes, but the other person is responsible for his own actions. The drunk person is responsible for his giving consent (or seeking) sexual intercourse. But so is the non-drunk person for his partaking in this. Sex is not an action from just one person.
This becomes a problem when both were drunk and wake up together in bed etc. Who do you blame fo it then? According to some so called progressives the man would still be responsible. To me it did happen now deal with it. It is no ones fault. Sit like that can happen. No need to make a big deal of it. Just see it as a personal mistake (both)

Yoshi

This becomes a problem when both were drunk and wake up together in bed etc. Who do you blame fo it then? According to some so called progressives the man would still be responsible. To me it did happen now deal with it. It is no ones fault. Sit like that can happen. No need to make a big deal of it. Just see it as a personal mistake (both)
Both, obviously.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I believe him. I’ve sent messages meant for other people before to the wrong person. It’s so damn easy. Let’s take an iPhone for example... text message pops up while browsing gaf “oh baby, you felt great in me last night! Did you like it?”

Then you click off the message, not on it. Sometimes I do that. But then you click messages and instantly start replying... and boom... you’ve just told your best friend how hard you were and how hard you blew your load.

Ok maybe I haven’t done that exact case... but fuck it I haven’t been far off before.

Shit like this is easy, and she seems to be taking a waaaaay too serious and harsh tone. Just use your common sense. There’s no need to embarrass a guy in public and ruin his life just because he sent that. Even if he did send it to her on purpose, it’s a private matter.

Fucks sake man...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I mean:
  • He apologized right off the bat and agreed it was errornous. This gets translated in the news to sexual harrassment.
  • He agreed with her to suspend his own Twitter account.
  • Then he wants to donate to a good cause. This gets translated to silencing money.
On the other hand, despite the journalist giving full cooperation from what i can tell by the OP, the victim feels it needed to not believe the guy and then reveal his identity, on top of informing his work.

I am sure i am missing a piece of the puzzle here, but one of the two is missing courtesy here. At the same time, it is unfortunate that Miss Jane, even by what i believe was an accident, got victim of indecent and improper messaging.

However, the way she has gone on this after the fact is in my eyes unjust and there is a severe case of miscommunication going on, brought forth under the idea that no matter what, he has to burn.

That seems unneccesarily spiteful and that is on Miss Jane. This whole spiraling is unnecessary to start with.

Dunki

To be honest. It was not even that bad. It as no dick pic it was just a stupid line. If you feel like a victim after reading this it is your own damn fault.

llien

She was fired from Yelp in a weird story:

Talia Jane a former Yelp employee has been promptly fired after an open letter she wrote addressing the company CEO in which the worker complained of being paid too low to even be able to afford to buy food.
The woman’s dismissal over the weekend (barely two hours after a blog post made the rounds) comes after the customer support employee published an essay on Medium Friday evening explaining how little she was paid, and how she couldn’t afford to buy groceries or heat her apartment on her $8.15 an hour after tax salary.

Tweeted by the CEO: ‘I’ve not been personally involved in Talia being let go and it was not because she posted a Medium letter directed at me.’
scallywagandvagabond.com

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
She was making $12 and some cents, which is very hard to live on in that city. Thing is that job was still more fortunate than many others, she had paid health insurance, dental, and vision as well as an apparently fully furnished kitchen at the job provided by Yelp. She mentions living off of chia bars and frozen burritos, which I figure came from that kitchen. You also know they provided food because she complained that while she couldn't afford bread, Yelp was providing a fridge full of bread on the 8th or so floor.

Actually I found the citation for that bit

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/talia-jane-vs-yelp
Bread is a luxury to me, even though you've got a whole fridge full of it on the 8th floor. But we're not allowed to take any of that home because it's for at-work eating. Of which I do a lot.

Before she wrote the medium post she was actually tweeting at her boss and telling him to fire her.

@itsa_talia
J jeremyS anyway, fire me or ignore me. either way I'll keep on struggling all the same. ✌️

Thurible

Are you just ignoring her other outrage-mongering behaviour that is outlined in the article? She quite clearly gets off on the attention.

I'm aware that there was a previous incident that led to this woman ending the career of another man. It is even stated in the linked article.

"This isn’t the first time that Jane has found herself in the midst of a public reckoning over sexual harassment. Last September, she outed a former Cracked writer who went by the name John Cheese for sexual harassment of herself and other women. Cheese’s writing was eventually removed from the site at Jane’s request."

It isn't unreasonable to be skeptical of her intentions considering this has happened before. However, I think it is rather mean spirited to call her ugly and put that as a reason for doubt. I know if I were in her shoes I would also be confused and disgusted. Her response seems justified based on what we know. I would personally like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Papa

Banned
I'm aware that there was a previous incident that led to this woman ending the career of another man. It is even stated in the linked article.

"This isn’t the first time that Jane has found herself in the midst of a public reckoning over sexual harassment. Last September, she outed a former Cracked writer who went by the name John Cheese for sexual harassment of herself and other women. Cheese’s writing was eventually removed from the site at Jane’s request."

It isn't unreasonable to be skeptical of her intentions considering this has happened before. However, I think it is rather mean spirited to call her ugly and put that as a reason for doubt. I know if I were in her shoes I would also be confused and disgusted. Her response seems justified based on what we know. I would personally like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Benefit of the doubt is all well and good when there’s no evidence to the contrary. What do you think about her gloating and boasting I highlighted in a previous post? Do you think that compromises any benefit of the doubt she would normally receive?

oagboghi2

She was making $12 and some cents, which is very hard to live on in that city. Thing is that job was still more fortunate than many others, she had paid health insurance, dental, and vision as well as an apparently fully furnished kitchen at the job provided by Yelp. She mentions living off of chia bars and frozen burritos, which I figure came from that kitchen. You also know they provided food because she complained that while she couldn't afford bread, Yelp was providing a fridge full of bread on the 8th or so floor.

Actually I found the citation for that bit

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/talia-jane-vs-yelp

Before she wrote the medium post she was actually tweeting at her boss and telling him to fire her.

@itsa_talia
J jeremyS anyway, fire me or ignore me. either way I'll keep on struggling all the same. ✌
This is a huge problem in San Francisco right now, and honestly one of the reasons I left the bay. So many people not in tech are struggling to survive, having to move farther and farther away from downtown SF, where a ton of jobs are.

I cant imagine surviving with just an English degree, making 12 bucks an hour in customer support.

Jon Neu

Banned

But his actions aren't bad at all, because the other person is responsible of it's actions.

You are just bending your own logic to fit the SJW narrative.

Thurible

Benefit of the doubt is all well and good when there’s no evidence to the contrary. What do you think about her gloating and boasting I highlighted in a previous post? Do you think that compromises any benefit of the doubt she would normally receive?
Gloating is also not a very nice thing to do, and I imagine most would just want to leave the harassment behind them instead of reveling in a victory from an incident. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that this behavior is a good indicator of whether or not the allegations are true or not. I do think the the cum comment is rather disjointed, but random things being said online/in a text is also not that uncommon. He very well could have accidentally sent the wrong message, but we don't know that. All I know is that he sent an innapropriate message (intentional or not) to her, she reported it, she has been in another sexual harrassment incident before, and she seems to be the feminist type. As I am the kind to take people at their word I trust what she claims as sexual harassment does happen (though I don't trust all of the stories and find the extreme sjw feminist narrative that "all men harrass and all women are victims" wrong).

Mista

Banned
Saw this on twitter yesterday and just cracked it on his lame ass excuses. You don’t say it wasn’t intentional after 45 minutes of saying you fucking cunt. Whats more pathetic is that he have a wife. What a prick

Papa

Banned
Gloating is also not a very nice thing to do, and I imagine most would just want to leave the harassment behind them instead of reveling in a victory from an incident. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that this behavior is a good indicator of whether or not the allegations are true or not. I do think the the cum comment is rather disjointed, but random things being said online/in a text is also not that uncommon. He very well could have accidentally sent the wrong message, but we don't know that. All I know is that he sent an innapropriate message (intentional or not) to her, she reported it, she has been in another sexual harrassment incident before, and she seems to be the feminist type. As I am the kind to take people at their word I trust what she claims as sexual harassment does happen (though I don't trust all of the stories and find the extreme sjw feminist narrative that "all men harrass and all women are victims" wrong).

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on a minute. Let me take a step back.

...did you just say cum?

waxer

If I pm every neogaf member the same random line I'd be curious if I could find a single person that felt violated and upset in same way lol.

Pretending shit like this is the end of the world helps no one. Probably leads to a country full of 40 year old virgin prudes.

People need to learn how to solve their own problems. Not rely on bosses, Internet mobs etc. When there is no need given situation.

Thurible

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on a minute. Let me take a step back.

...did you just say cum?
Sorry, I meant c*m, semen, male seed, the white stuff that contains millions of sperm cells for the fertilization of the ovum.

But seriously, I do try to avoid innappropriate words that can be rather aggressive or sexually explicit. There is nothing wrong with saying penis, vagina, or ovaries as those aren't bad things and are in fact very good things, as these are organs that are used to facilitate the development of new human life. However, I feel like trivializing sex and using sexual slang meant to disgust or demean isn't very nice. You would find me hardpressed to call someone a d*ck or especially a b*tch. Though I certainly have used explicit language on this forum on occasion, I only use it to emphasize extreme emotions. I recall using improper language when talking about satanists and the people who burned french churches if I remember correctly. I am fine with saying cum as it is something that is a part of sex and every man produces it whether or not they are chaste, it makes no difference. I wouldn't put it in normal conversation, but the word itself isn't innapropriate or wrong.

WAHH HE SENT ME TEXT MESSAGE THAT WAS CLEAR JOKE BUT HE IS MANZ AND I NEED NO MANS SO i telling on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mommmyyyyyyy!!!

What's wrong with these people??

Last edited:

Kenpachii

She's toxic as hell. Just look at her twitter feed.

"its cool to be a girl"

Did you forget i culled that other writer? wears it like somekind of badge.

Then anything you say is a excuse because i am a sexual harrasment expert and it fits my bill.

The fact you even push this in public is a really bad sign.

If he says he sended it to the wrong person, there is absolute no reason to doubt him unless she can proof that he didn't. Because its a single line of text that he could very well have send to a mate of him.

But nope she goes all expert on this guy and knows exactly what goes on because she's toxic as hell.

She should just have blocked him or talk some trash back and be done with it. But instead she needs to put it on the internet because it feeds her toxic behavior and even goes further to get him fired. Sounds like a psychopath.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I witnessed a reddit thread unfold that was horrible.

Some guy cheated on his fiancee. A random feminist doxxed him, went to great lengths to find out the fiancee name, and contacted her linking the thread.

She was pretty proud of the fact and bragged because she ruined his life.

Didnt know him and never met him.

But his actions aren't bad at all, because the other person is responsible of it's actions.

You are just bending your own logic to fit the SJW narrative.

I have to disagree with this. It actually seems to be a very balanced stance to me. If someone gets a person really drunk, and sleeps with them with their consent, and that someone is fairly sure the other person going to regret it the next day, that doesn't them a rapist, but it makes them a terrible human being. That would be a horrible thing to do to someone.

It's not illegal, it's not rape, but it's morally wrong. Consider challenging your own narrative.

Man and his girlfriend. Man has said repeatedly he doesn't want to have kids, but the girlfriend knows that he does a lot of things he wouldn't normally do when he's drunk. She gets him drunk, she suggests not using a condom, and she gets what she wanted. The next day he wakes up, has a full blown panic attack, and it turns out she ended up pregnant. Maybe it works out, maybe they break up and he's suck paying child support for a couple decades.

Was what she did illegal? No. Was it rape? No. Would you argue that her actions weren't bad at all, and she did nothing wrong?

Yes, people are responsible for the choices they make when they drink (try getting out of vehicular manslaughter if you drink and drive), but if someone specifically and knowingly gets you drunk to make it more likely you'll abandon your inhibitions or good sense (especially with the assumption you'll regret your actions), then yes, what that person did was definitely bad.

Jon Neu

Banned
If someone gets a person really drunk

If we aren't talking about sneaking alcohol in their non-alcoholic drinks, I don't know how you can get another person drunk. The other person is drinking on his own will, therefore the premise is still the same; that person is the only one responsible for his/her actions.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I mean, as many women know...there are guys that send incredibly innapproprate and unprompted private messages fairly often. Even trans women like myself, as 'undateable' as much of the world finds us to be...can receive creepy perverse messages way too often.

The message he sent about...stuff...on her face...did seem to come out of nowhere. Maybe it really was sent to her mistakenly? Still, he meant that message for someone. I'm sure his wife is hurt by those messages no matter who they were sent to.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
But what if they were... supposed to be for his wife?

Who doesn’t send cheeky texts to their wife/husband? Seriously? We send stuff that would make a whore blush, daily. Like I said previously, it’s not exactly difficult to send something to the wrong person.

While there is doubt if the guy sent it to her by mistake or meant it for her, there is no doubt at all she’s a class A twat who is only out to ruin somebodies life over pretty much nothing at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom