• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

seborrheic dermatitis/ dandruff

spinfive

Banned
My dandruff is not going away. I have tried many things but they have either made it worse or had no effect. My hair is always incredibly dry and dull to touch which I have heard that this is genetic but dandruff surely can't be.

Head & Shoulders which is used mainly here in the UK is supposed to be the no.1 shampoo with dandruff protection but it just doesn't work. Everytime I use this or any other shampoo/conditioner it makes my hair dryer and dandruff even stronger. The dandruff is not really noticible to others but these flakes fall onto my eyebrows and shoulders like crazy.

I've spoken to a doctor about it and they've suggested anti dandruff products or stuff that's greasy and said I may have seborrheic dermatitis. Note that I have a thyroid problem which probably contributes to this.

I'm about to give up on trying to find a cure since it's not even a major problem anyway. I don't want to go a crazy route and start taking pills. What recommendations do you have?

I would look into other Shampoos, I think I also have your problem, h&s made it worse. Also do you have long hair? My problem gets worse when I let my hair get a bit longer, shorter hair is easier to control.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Get this if it's available in your country. Worked wonders for me.

fBUT1P5.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I would look into other Shampoos, I think I also have your problem, h&s made it worse. Also do you have long hair? My problem gets worse when I let my hair get a bit longer, shorter hair is easier to control.

Coal-Tar shampoos work well against dermatitis, T-gel or similar. Just don't overuse them, as the objective is to have a healthy scalp not just one where all skin fauna is nuked :D

Meifu

Have you tried

Nizoral Ketoconazole ? or Selsun 2.5% Selenium Sulfide Lotion?

Came here to say this - you need Ketaconzole, its the magic sauce for SD - use it 2-3 times a week , not too much because you will get extra dry, but this shit is the sauce. Go to a dermatologist and this is what they will surely recommend.

Last edited:

spinfive

Banned
I've tried the above (T-Gel, Nizoral which have made it worse from the 1st wash) but not exactly that Albrid hybrid caffeine one or Selsun. After using one brand's product I am scared to go back to it. Surely shampoo's purpose are to dry the hair so when they say they remove dandruff I don't understand as my scalp barely produces any oil.

Also when I buy these products and they don't work in the 1st week I just throw it away

Also do you have long hair?

I have short hair. I guess I really should just shave all my hair off? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Same here. Mine ebbs and flows but never completely goes away. Sometimes it's too much with flakes and all and sometimes very minor fall.
I have tried almost everything. From Head and shoulders to medicinal shampoos to home remedies.
I will be really interested in seeing what people suggest here. Will try.

thefool

Don't get discouraged over head and shoulders not working. While zinc pyrithione works, sometimes it's simply not enough.
You should try different products with different antifungal agents and see how it works. Like a few users said, ketoconazole is one of the most effective. Piroctone olamine is another popular one.
Even when they work, you'll most likely need some (low) maintenance.

Mato

I shower my face and hair everyday with a gentle baby shampoo/body wash (aimed at babies less than twelve months old). I make sure to create a copious amount of lather and then thoroughly massage the face/scalp/ears for a good 2-3 minutes. I don't repeat. It's the only way I've found that works consistently and without drying the hair either. I try not to skip days too much otherwise sebderm/dandruff comes back.

spinfive

Banned
I will give Selsun Blue a try as Wikipedia says it is a better alternative to Head & Shoulders as proven in clinical trials.

Seldom 2.5% was the only thing that worked for me.

Used to have such bad dandruff. Would be embarrassed to go to the hair dresser unless I used H&S like 10 days straight prior to going. But I’d still have a few flakes. Then within a few days if not using the shampoo it would come back full force.

Used Selsun 2.5% three times a week for the first month. Then dandruff completely disappeared. Now I use it just once a week to maintain.

GeekyDad

...What recommendations do you have?
Honestly, one of the first things I typically like to consider is diet. Perhaps research what foods/natural treatments/remedies might be helpful or worth experimenting with. A lot of times it can simply be a matter of adjusting diet to better fit your particular body make-up.

I've spoken to a doctor about it and they've suggested anti dandruff products or stuff that's greasy and said I may have seborrheic dermatitis. Note that I have a thyroid problem which probably contributes to this.
See a dermatologist. You'll likely end up with medicated shampoo that isn't greasy and actually works.

Mistake

Your dermatologist needs to see if you actually have dry scalp, or if there is inflammation causing it instead. Could be a fungal problem if it’s excessive, which is what I had for ages and had no idea. They might give you Ketoconazole or something similar

Top Bottom